Time to give up on medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJR22

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to convince myself not to give up, but maybe it's time. I have a 3.72 cGPA and have taken the MCAT twice: first time went poorly 10/6/10, and then I hired a verbal tutor, went through about 6 verbal books, worked my butt off, and did even worse in verbal: 12/5/11. The rest of my application is pretty solid, but I have no motivation to take it a third time, since I know one section is keeping me from a possible acceptance.

Going from General Chemistry to Organic Chemistry to Biochemistry, you see a bunch of pre meds drop out. Then, another handful drop out after taking the MCAT. The average MCAT is a 25, while average for matriculants is a 31, meaning a large chunk probably choose a different career. At what point should you just move on with your life and choose a different field?

I'm 24 by the way. Texas resident. (I know a lot of you will recommend DO school, but I find it dishonest to go to DO school simply because I can't get into an MD program).

Members don't see this ad.

I've been trying to convince myself not to give up, but maybe it's time. I have a 3.72 cGPA and have taken the MCAT twice: first time went poorly 10/6/10, and then I hired a verbal tutor, went through about 6 verbal books, worked my butt off, and did even worse in verbal: 12/5/11. The rest of my application is pretty solid, but I have no motivation to take it a third time, since I know one section is keeping me from a possible acceptance.

Going from General Chemistry to Organic Chemistry to Biochemistry, you see a bunch of pre meds drop out. Then, another handful drop out after taking the MCAT. The average MCAT is a 25, while average for matriculants is a 31, meaning a large chunk probably choose a different career. At what point should you just move on with your life and choose a different field?

I'm 24 by the way. Texas resident. (I know a lot of you will recommend DO school, but I find it dishonest to go to DO school simply because I can't get into an MD program).

This is entirely your call. You either want to study more for the MCAT or you don't. Your GPA is fine. Personally, I think you shouldn't give up if you think you'll regret it.

Last edited:

The decision is pretty much yours. If you don't want to have regret, take the MCAT again and try to hit at least an 8 on the verbal. This is the only way you have a good shot at the MD (your even a Texas resident and this will be helpful for Texas schools).

Sit and think about all your options in life. Reflect on this for a while. I too am in a similar situation but with a bad GPA and MCAT. I have decided that either MD or DO is fine because I just want to be a doctor.

Main thing is what you exactly want in life. If you know what it is, then go for it. Keep trying until you truly feel that it is impossible. However, always have back up plans if things don't go your way (otherwise you will be wasting more years of your life).

Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up. Just keep working on the verbal section. Try to study with new methods. Try seeking a different tutor. If it's something that you really want to do, you'll get there. But you mentioned lacking motivation for another mcat. Maybe take a break for awhile, then get back on track. You might just be burned out. I wouldn't give up unless you would rather do something else besides medicine.

OK, since that's the way you feel, this is the point you decide to do something else. You're not going to be a doctor.

At what point should you just move on with your life and choose a different field?

Your gonna have to answer that yourself. How badly do you want it? If you think you'd be just as happy doing something else then why waste the energy-- do something else. If you know that you'd never be happy doing anything else, then take the MCAT again.

Get a monthly subscription to some scientific literature series (just get Science, In my opinion), read every article....try to think critically of every article, as if you are answering questions....build up your ECs in the mean time, and take the MCAT in the spring if you're ready, and maybe in the late fall if you're not, then apply. Lot of time, commitment and work ahead for you in this method, but you can decide if you think it's worth it.

If you give up on your dream to become a physician because of a verbal score then, (I would say) you never wholeheartedly wanted to be in this wonderful profession for the rest of your life. The MCAT will not stop you...only you will. It is fixable, so go fix it! :)

I wasn't asking what my chances were.......

Take a year off, read every Greek book of Politics/Philosophy, War & Peace, Crime & Punishment, and a few fancy Fantasy Books like Wicked. Likewise take a few courses in logic, ethics, etc. By the time you're done your verbal comprehension will have hit at least an 8. Likewise with a 5 in Verbal you'll be unable to attain admission to a DO school in most cases.

So you have two choices really, spend some time and money bettering your reading comprehension skills, or consider an alternative career.

"I know a lot of you will recommend DO school, but I find it dishonest to go to DO school simply because I can't get into an MD program"

I can't understand this thinking. How is going to a DO school dishonest? a DO is a physician, period. I've been treated by many wonderful DO's, had surgery by a surgeon who was a DO, etc. If you really want to be a physician, why would you give up on that just because you want the MD after your name instead of DO?

Also, as others have mentioned, you would still (most likely) need to re-take the MCAT and pull up that verbal score because I don't know of any DO programs that would accept a 5 in verbal

I think the DO education is highly undervalued.

I don't see hospitals choosing not to hire DO's. The residencies are often the same, the patients are the same, the salaries are the same. Some DO's are department chairs and deans.

There are still clusters of MDs who will not work with DO's, but these are shrinking in number.

An MD has more value than a DO for the same price, but it is an intangible value. A good doctor is a good doctor, and everyone recognizes that.

Last edited:
Honestly, verbal is the hardest thing to improve upon. I don't think having a subscription to science (serenade's suggestion) will help you since you'll still be reading without critical ability. You may want to try a logic class, another tutor and giving the MCAT one more shot. If this all fails (or are unwilling to try) and you're sure that DO school is not an alternative to pursue for whatever reason, yes, it is the time to give up. A 26 is definitely not a score to get into MD. You'll need at least a 28 to have competitiveness with at least an 8 on the verbal section.