timing of biochem class before MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emzerlee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take the MCAT in either August/September 2017 or January/February 2018. I'm working full time as a clinical research assistant and I'm currently taking physics I ( will take physics II next semester). I haven't taken biochem yet, but know how helpful it is for the exam, so I wanted to know if it would be a bad idea to take biochem with physics II next semester so I can study for the mcat during the summer and take it in Sept. Or would it be better to take biochem (and not with physics) in fall 2017 while studying for the mcat so i can take it in jan/feb? I'm really conflicted so any advice will be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Take biochem (make sure it covers metabolism) as early as possible. You want exposure to the pathways sooner rather than later. Then you can review as needed when you start studying (ideally never forget the pathways after learning them).

Reactions: 1 users
This likely depends on how difficult/time consuming these courses are at your specific institution, but these two courses tend to be quite time intensive and difficult in general, especially on top of the full-time work schedule. I would probably vote to split them and put the MCAT in the winter/spring date. Biochem is extremely important for the exam, much more so that second semester physics, and draws on lots of basic principles from Orgo (H-bonds, acid base interactions, functional groups), which will likely play a part in how difficult Biochem is for you.

Reactions: 1 users
This likely depends on how difficult/time consuming these courses are at your specific institution, but these two courses tend to be quite time intensive and difficult in general, especially on top of the full-time work schedule. I would probably vote to split them and put the MCAT in the winter/spring date. Biochem is extremely important for the exam, much more so that second semester physics, and draws on lots of basic principles from Orgo (H-bonds, acid base interactions, functional groups), which will likely play a part in how difficult Biochem is for you.

You're definitely right- I think I'll separate Physics II and Biochem and take Biochem in the fall and the MCAT in spring..thanks!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd HIGHLY recommend taking it. I took it over the summer and it's helped tremendously. Plus, given that it's a subject many med students struggle with, your application will look all the better if you can ace it

I'd HIGHLY recommend taking it. I took it over the summer and it's helped tremendously. Plus, given that it's a subject many med students struggle with, your application will look all the better if you can ace it
I definitely am going to take it! No questions about it! My issue was more centered on when I should take it before the MCAT, but I think I've settled on taking it in a separate semester than physics II. Thanks for the comment!

I definitely am going to take it! No questions about it! My issue was more centered on when I should take it before the MCAT, but I think I've settled on taking it in a separate semester than physics II. Thanks for the comment!

Ahh, I must've responded to this thread in my sleep or under the influence of Benadryl...

Physics II is a pain so I'd say that's a good plan to take them separately in succession. I personally agree with you as far as taking biochem after phys II, contrary to what another poster said, the closer it is to your MCAT the fresher the material will be in your mind. If you weren't working full time I'd suggest taking both together but that doesn't appear to be an option.

And even if you were to take the MCAT next September, by the time you were offered any interviews you'd be technically applying late in the cycle. Take your time, don't rush, and do it right. If you can, invest in a white board for biochem, it was a tremendous help in retaining the inordinate amount of information you're forced to learn. And there's plenty of great mnemonics to assist as well.

Good luck!