This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fan2342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am taking in the fall
Orgo I
A&P I
Genetics I

And in the winter
Orgo II
A&P II
Microbio
Cell and Molec

Any tips or suggestions you guys have for me? I would greatly appreciate it. I am teaching Orgo and memorizing anatomy from the book and previous teacher PowerPoints during the summer to be better familiarized with it.
I also wanted to practice for the PAT and the different puzzles are fun to do so is there an app to use where I can practice everyday?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am taking in the fall
Orgo I
A&P I
Genetics I

And in the winter
Orgo II
A&P II
Microbio
Cell and Molec

Any tips or suggestions you guys have for me? I would greatly appreciate it. I am teaching Orgo and memorizing anatomy from the book and previous teacher PowerPoints during the summer to be better familiarized with it.
It is very doable, I had more difficult semesters in college. You need to review daily though! I don't think I was ever stressed out during any of my classes. It is all memorization, which means it takes time for your brain to absorb the information.

Don't cram for exams. Go to office hours. Record lectures via your computer/audio recording if they aren't already recorded.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are those all with labs? Gonna be a tough winter if so... Only advice I have is to review your lecture notes the same day and maybe the next day as well because you don't want to have 3 tests to cram for all in the same week.. I also think it's smart to start going over orgo and anatomy so it's not completely new to you. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-D801 using SDN mobile

Sit closer to the professor so that you don't fall asleep or end up on your phone. I also feel that when you get to know your professors by going to office hours and speaking after class, you feel more inclined to do well in their class.

Don't record lectures if you class syllabus says not to record them. That looks like a fun year for you OP lol. Just manage your time wisely. I like retyping my notes after class so it sticks in my brain. Sorry I can't help much more than that.

Never had a syllabus say this, interesting.
Probably depends on the school/teacher. They usually say don't record because it can be a liability. Oh man I wish I had been able to record stuff. I'm pretty jealous of you guys lol

Whoa, props to you for that load. o_O

Constant review helps with comprehension more than quick memorization before an exam (especially for subjects like Orgo where topics carry into the next semester). Study groups are useful. And always read the syllabus before class.

That winter courseload is insane. With labs you are looking at a full week. goodluck man.

Hey guys,

I am taking in the fall
Orgo I
A&P I
Genetics I

And in the winter
Orgo II
A&P II
Microbio
Cell and Molec

I also wanted to practice for the PAT and the different puzzles are fun to do so is there an app to use where I can practice everyday?

Bolded: practice the problems from the books. It will help you do well on the lecture exams and on the DAT later on. Those subjects will not go away, so learn it now. Repetition helps. I spit out ochem mechanisms/synthesis and genetic answers on the exams so quick from constant practice.

The rest are just memorization. Read lectures before class. Pay attention and take good notes during lecture. Reread lectures after class. By reading before the lectures, it'll help you pay attention in class rather than constantly writing down every single words the prof spits out <-- not an efficient method. The purpose of lecture is to elaborate what you did not understand when you were reading it before lecture. A week before exam, reread the lectures again. For me, by reading and rereading the information, it'll stick with minimal effort to memorize. When I say reread, I meant read it again but this time try to understand the context.

If you have a job and many extra curriculars, I would consider taking a class with one less lab in the winter, depending on the length of them, because 4 labs was very time-consuming for me.

As for tips:
Record lectures if possible and try to exchange notes with classmates. Many of my profs don't use their books so if that's the case for you, you will not want to miss anything in lecture. My friend with a 4.0 reviews her notes after lectures every evening but I just can't get into that.

STUDY GROUPS! Even if you're shy. I wouldn't have made it through Biochem 2 without collaborating.

Anything you don't understand, ask your prof in class or in office hours. Showing initiative alone can bump an 89% to an A every now and again.

I wish I would have had Chad's Videos for O Chem 2. Definitely consider that subscription. These classes depend heavily on class format and prof in my opinion because I did not have a clue what was going on in OC2 until I studied for the DAT.

Do NOT procrastinate. With a heavy lab load, you will basically want to get what you can out of the way the day you perform it. That will leave you much more time to study for lecture and ace those exams. You may get lucky with certain classes (micro and maybe molecular) that have term papers. Do well on those because they "fluff up" your grade. If writing isn't your strong suit, take advantage of any writing center or tutors offered.

For PAT, read Ari's study guide on Boot camp because they will be helpful in getting you warmed up. Also something I wish I had taken advantage of.

Good luck!!!!