• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Titration Curves

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2003
New Jersey
  1. Medical Student
hi,

I was reading something on the titration curves of acids and bases. But I came across a concept that said that multiprotic acids will show peaks in the tiration curve each corresponding to the acidic protons in the acid.

Can someone explain why this happens? I know that it has something to do with where the protonated and deprotonated forms of the acid are in equilibrium...but I dont understand how it fits in.

thanks

DoctorInSpace

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
Basically, if there are several hydrogens to be pulled off, each one will require a certain amount of pull, namely pKa, or amount of base added when titrating. The first H comes off rather quickly/easily, with little base added. The second H requires more base, and the third H requires still more base. So, for a multiprotic acid, the titration curve looks like three curves in one (or 2 in one for diprotic).

I hope this and the post prior to mine helped.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.