*~*~*TMDSAS 2017*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welp, soundly rejected. Have to take A&P II dangit. Someone please tell me I don't have to take the "planned courses" for this summer that I flippantly wrote on a piece of paper. I don't really want to be busy in classes over the summer just before school starts.
What dental school was it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to hear that. I would contact the schools to see if it'd negatively impact you if you didn't take that summer course.

I may be wrong but I think what they meant is that they were rejected from dropping the summer course, in another post they say they were accepted by A&M.

Reactions: 1 user
I was strongly discouraged from dropping the current course spring semester, but I don't want to take summer courses that I wrote down at my interview which I planned to take in case I had to apply for another cycle. Now that I'm in I don't want to spend the money or the time. I'd like to show up fresh and ready for dental school. I don't even know if they hold you to the courses that you wrote down or if they would even check.

I was strongly discouraged from dropping the current course spring semester, but I don't want to take summer courses that I wrote down at my interview which I planned to take in case I had to apply for another cycle. Now that I'm in I don't want to spend the money or the time. I'd like to show up fresh and ready for dental school. I don't even know if they hold you to the courses that you wrote down or if they would even check.

Idk for me they literally listed which courses I had to take for the conditional acceptance, they were just the pre reqs I didn't take any of the other listed ones.

Hey everyone, I got the first A&M acceptance packet in the mail today and since I didn't see anything here I figured I would bring it up.

It looks like COA is pricier than anticipated, with the first year cost being estimated in the packet at $ 18,011 for the first semester and $10,818 for the second. Obviously not that much higher than the 27k we were quoted at but I still would have preferred for that figure to have been accurate.

Secondly it seems as if we rent our instruments instead of purchasing them. @Advance i am wondering if the 7k instrument fee is included in the tuition? Or is that an additional charge? Also are we allowed to bring our own instrument and bypass that yearly leasing charge?

We need 60 teeth, loupes can be purchased second year, when not in clinic we can wear business casual, which I didn't know.

They list the dates and type of drug test, so... If you fail you don't deserve to attend lol. We need to get a CPR license and that's about all that's included.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, I got the first A&M acceptance packet in the mail today and since I didn't see anything here I figured I would bring it up.

It looks like COA is pricier than anticipated, with the first year cost being estimated in the packet at $ 18,011 for the first semester and $10,818 for the second. Obviously not that much higher than the 27k we were quoted at but I still would have preferred for that figure to have been accurate.

Secondly it seems as if we rent our instruments instead of purchasing them. @Advance i am wondering if the 7k instrument fee is included in the tuition? Or is that an additional charge? Also are we allowed to bring our own instrument and bypass that yearly leasing charge?

We need 60 teeth, loupes can be purchased second year, when not in clinic we can wear business casual, which I didn't know.

They list the dates and type of drug test, so... If you fail you don't deserve to attend lol. We need to get a CPR license and that's about all that's included.
The instrument fee is included in the tution and fees. As far as I know you can't bypass those fees. It would be kind of annoying to hunt down all of the equipment you would need for D1 anyway. Its A LOT of stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
:soexcited::soexcited: You caused me to go get my mail lol. I'm so excited...I can't study for immu test tomorrow

@Advance could you run us through your typical day/week as a D1 at A&M? I'm starting to get anxious thinking about how much we have to study lol. Is it really as bad as everyone says?

Members don't see this ad :)

I've just skimmed the packet, but do we need 60 teeth before we start D1?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@Advance could you run us through your typical day/week as a D1 at A&M? I'm starting to get anxious thinking about how much we have to study lol. Is it really as bad as everyone says?
First semester classes were typically from 8-5.
The actual length of the day varies because your gross lab group dissects every other class day so some days you could get out around 2 or so. If it's a relatively simple dissection you could also get out of gross lab early as well. Our mondays we really only had 2 classes. We had dental anatomy from 8am-12pm. Then we had an hour lunch then had gross from 1pm-5pm. The other days of the week varied a lot based on how far along in the semester we were. Some classes like immunology, cariology and growth and development start in the middle of the semester. And some classes that start in august don't last the entire semester (histology,ethics, cultural competency, human behavior). On fridays we're out by noon unless you have clinical rotations then you are "required" to attend those. First semester is a lot of didactic courses but second semester is a lot more labs and dental related things. The amount of time you have to study really depends on how fast you learn and retain info and if you're trying to specialize or not. If you're really good at cramming dental school will be much easier for you. Passing courses isn't terribly difficult but getting A 93+ on every exam is actually pretty challenging and requires A LOT more work. I personally don't think it's THAT bad anymore. When you get to blacktober you will become battle-hardened and will adjust to dental school.I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most people that get accepted make it through the program just fine and I know you will do great!

First semester classes were typically from 8-5.
The actual length of the day varies because your gross lab group dissects every other class day so some days you could get out around 2 or so. If it's a relatively simple dissection you could also get out of gross lab early as well. Our mondays we really only had 2 classes. We had dental anatomy from 8am-12pm. Then we had an hour lunch then had gross from 1pm-5pm. The other days of the week varied a lot based on how far along in the semester we were. Some classes like immunology, cariology and growth and development start in the middle of the semester. And some classes that start in august don't last the entire semester (histology,ethics, cultural competency, human behavior). On fridays we're out by noon unless you have clinical rotations then you are "required" to attend those. First semester is a lot of didactic courses but second semester is a lot more labs and dental related things. The amount of time you have to study really depends on how fast you learn and retain info and if you're trying to specialize or not. If you're really good at cramming dental school will be much easier for you. Passing courses isn't terribly difficult but getting A 93+ on every exam is actually pretty challenging and requires A LOT more work. I personally don't think it's THAT bad anymore. When you get to blacktober you will become battle-hardened and will adjust to dental school.I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most people that get accepted make it through the program just fine and I know you will do great!

So in your opinion, could we handle a part time job?

So in your opinion, could we handle a part time job?
Ehh depends on the person. There's one guy in my class that has a job and he's managing just fine. One of my close buddies also Ubers during the week and weekends. I'd say get your feet wet and see if you can handle doing both. I personally wouldn't have a job just because I like my free time:laugh:. I could probably manage a part time job if i spent my time wisely though.

Didn't mean you directly. I should have said "people have made it this far doing what they are doing."

Gotcha, we all have our vices. Unfortunately mine won't be allowed at A&M. I made it through college by just sleeping in and skipping all of my classes lol. I'd start a series in the morning and be done that evening, forget going to class.

I wish A&M had no attendance policy.

Gotcha, we all have our vices. Unfortunately mine won't be allowed at A&M. I made it through college by just sleeping in and skipping all of my classes lol. I'd start a series in the morning and be done that evening, forget going to class.

I think they dont take attendance at AM. @Advance doesnt go to class and still crusing through

@Carbohydrates is right. Most professors don't take roll and also don't care wether you show up or not. There are many people in my class that employ this strategy and are doing fine. Just do what works for you.

@Carbohydrates is right. Most professors don't take roll and also don't care wether you show up or not. There are many people in my class that employ this strategy and are doing fine. Just do what works for you.
Awesome haha, I know it makes me sound lazy but I'd probably end up dropping dead if I had to go to class everyday. Just the classroom environment drains my soul.

Awesome haha, I know it makes me sound lazy but I'd probably end up dropping dead if I had to go to class everyday. Just the classroom environment drains my soul.
Heh yeah. As long as you're passing the school won't care. ;)

Weirdest thing. Just called the admissions office at TAMU to update my classes and the nice lady pulled up my file and knew I had put down a deposit at another dental school :eek:. Also it would be a "big problem" if I dropped my A&P class I'm taking this semester but straight C's this semester would be perfectly acceptable.

Weirdest thing. Just called the admissions office at TAMU to update my classes and the nice lady pulled up my file and knew I had put down a deposit at another dental school :eek:. Also it would be a "big problem" if I dropped my A&P class I'm taking this semester but straight C's this semester would be perfectly acceptable.
Lol they know about UTHSCSA? That's crazy. Maybe Texas schools can see when you put down a deposit at other Texas schools?

Lol they know about UTHSCSA? That's crazy. Maybe Texas schools can see when you put down a deposit at other Texas schools?

That's wild I was definitely told April for Texas schools was still a thing.

At one of my interviews they told us they can definitely see where you put a deposit.

At one of my interviews they told us they can definitely see where you put a deposit.

You know what, did they say "we can see where you put a deposit, but we will not factor that into the decision to accept you or not until April 1st? Because that would make sense

After May, all Texas schools stop sending out any more acceptances to any other student that has already gotten into another Texas school because they don't want to compete with each other and mess up their seats.

Lol they told you straight C's are fine? Even in science classes?

I just got accepted to UTHSCSA!!!!! I did not think this would happen. I'm a reapplicant and I got a Dec 1 acceptance to an OOS school. I didn't interview at SA until January. Especially after hearing other people's acceptances, I was not expecting this since they accept in "rounds" but all I have to say is you never know when it will happen so keep checking your emails people. Good luck to everyone. Sending positive thoughts to everyone who is waiting for THAT email.

Reactions: 15 users
So I guess the next round of acceptances won't be till end of Feb then :(

No don't worry, they didn't sent out anything last week. The deadline for January acceptance round was the 31st of Jan so they can't send another rounds of acceptance till they done with previous round ! So stay tune .. could happen at any minute!

No don't worry, they didn't sent out anything last week. The deadline for January acceptance round was the 31st of Jan so they can't send another rounds of acceptance till they done with previous round ! So stay tune .. could happen at any minute!

Thanks for your reply! UTSD is def my top choice and the affordability is great compared to other OOS schools...fingers crossed!!

-

Last edited:

I'm sorry but this is wrong. They have sent out a second round already, if you go back through this thread you will see that some people got accepted on January 11th. I am fairly certain there was an additional round that was very small as well.

Someone else in this thread claims to have information on the class size at this point and says that 84 seats have been filled. They did say the next round is early February.

I'm sorry but this is wrong. They have sent out a second round already, if you go back through this thread you will see that some people got accepted on January 11th. I am fairly certain there was an additional round that was very small as well.

Someone else in this thread claims to have information on the class size at this point and says that 84 seats have been filled. They did say the next round is early February.

Don't get me wrong I'm talking about the February round which is on the door.. it hasn't been sent yet .. you absolutely right about mentioned for the 11th of January round and their offers is expired last week!