TMDSAS GPA Calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preweedout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished reading the TMDSAS guidebook, and it said that they calculate GPA based on a four point scale. I just want to confirm: does that mean that pluses and minuses essentially go away, so that any A = 4.0, any B = 3.0, etc?

In other words, all of my A-'s will be 4.0s, and all my B+'s will be 3.0s?

I know this has been addressed a few years ago, but I just want to confirm that TMDSAS hasn't switched their procedure from the last time this question was asked.

Thanks in advance for y'all's help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I just finished reading the TMDSAS guidebook, and it said that they calculate GPA based on a four point scale. I just want to confirm: does that mean that pluses and minuses essentially go away, so that any A = 4.0, any B = 3.0, etc?

In other words, all of my A-'s will be 4.0s, and all my B+'s will be 3.0s?

I know this has been addressed a few years ago, but I just want to confirm that TMDSAS hasn't switched their procedure from the last time this question was asked.

Thanks in advance for y'all's help!
When application GPAs are calculated, the pluses and minuses will not be taken into account, but they will still appear on the official transcript:

How does TMDSAS calculate my GPA and what is included in the GPA?
The Texas Coordinating Board for Higher Education determines the procedures for calculating the GPA for students seeking admission to a graduate or professional school in the state of Texas. All institutions must follow these guidelines. The guidelines are as follows:

1. Only official transcripts from accredited institutions of higher education shall be accepted by the graduate and professional schools of an institution of higher education for evaluation and grade-point calculation.
  2. All academic work undertaken and grades or symbols assigned at each institution shall be reflected on the student's official transcript(s). No student's grade may be expunged from his or her record.
  3. All grades assigned for academic course work shall be used in calculating the grade-point average.
  4. A four-point scale shall be used in computing the grade point average (e.g.: A, 4 points per semester hour; B, 3.0; C, 2.0; D, 1.0; F, 0.0).
  5. A grade or symbol indicating failure (i.e.: F, WF, NC, or in a pass/fail system, FL equals F) shall count as hours undertaken, but no grade points shall be earned.
  6. Excluded from the grade-point average shall be any credit by examination (CR); Quit (Q); Withdrew (W); Withdrew Passing (WP); Incomplete (I or X); and a pass grade within a pass/fail system.
  7. The grade-point average shall be computed by multiplying each grade point (see paragraph (4) and (5) of this subsection) by the semester or quarter credit hours earned per course and totaling the products. The semester or quarter hours of courses undertaken shall then be totaled. The total of the products shall be divided by the total semester or quarter hours. The result is to be calculated to the hundredth place, giving the official cumulative grade-point average.
  8. Academic work at foreign colleges, universities, or preparatory schools shall be excluded from the calculation. In such cases, the grade-point average and credit shall be evaluated and computed as determined by the graduate or professional school to which the student is applying.

Beginning with the entry year 2015 application, TMDSAS will calculate a Biology-Chemistry-Physics-Math (BCPM) GPA in place of a science GPA.

TMDSAS calculates multiple GPA's for an applicant - overall GPA, overall BCPM GPA, overall undergraduate GPA,undergraduate BCPM GPA, undergraduate non-BCPM GPA, overall graduate GPA, graduate BCPM GPA and graduate non-BCPM GPA.

The undergraduate BCPM GPA includes all undergraduate level biology, chemistry, physics and math course work. Included in the BCPM GPA are courses which satisfy the prerequisite course work (excluding English).

http://www.tmdsas.com/frwqAskedQ/03-AppProcessing.html

When application GPAs are calculated, the pluses and minuses will not be taken into account, but they will still appear on the official transcript:

How does TMDSAS calculate my GPA and what is included in the GPA?
The Texas Coordinating Board for Higher Education determines the procedures for calculating the GPA for students seeking admission to a graduate or professional school in the state of Texas. All institutions must follow these guidelines. The guidelines are as follows:

1. Only official transcripts from accredited institutions of higher education shall be accepted by the graduate and professional schools of an institution of higher education for evaluation and grade-point calculation.
  2. All academic work undertaken and grades or symbols assigned at each institution shall be reflected on the student's official transcript(s). No student's grade may be expunged from his or her record.
  3. All grades assigned for academic course work shall be used in calculating the grade-point average.
  4. A four-point scale shall be used in computing the grade point average (e.g.: A, 4 points per semester hour; B, 3.0; C, 2.0; D, 1.0; F, 0.0).
  5. A grade or symbol indicating failure (i.e.: F, WF, NC, or in a pass/fail system, FL equals F) shall count as hours undertaken, but no grade points shall be earned.
  6. Excluded from the grade-point average shall be any credit by examination (CR); Quit (Q); Withdrew (W); Withdrew Passing (WP); Incomplete (I or X); and a pass grade within a pass/fail system.
  7. The grade-point average shall be computed by multiplying each grade point (see paragraph (4) and (5) of this subsection) by the semester or quarter credit hours earned per course and totaling the products. The semester or quarter hours of courses undertaken shall then be totaled. The total of the products shall be divided by the total semester or quarter hours. The result is to be calculated to the hundredth place, giving the official cumulative grade-point average.
  8. Academic work at foreign colleges, universities, or preparatory schools shall be excluded from the calculation. In such cases, the grade-point average and credit shall be evaluated and computed as determined by the graduate or professional school to which the student is applying.

Beginning with the entry year 2015 application, TMDSAS will calculate a Biology-Chemistry-Physics-Math (BCPM) GPA in place of a science GPA.

TMDSAS calculates multiple GPA's for an applicant - overall GPA, overall BCPM GPA, overall undergraduate GPA,undergraduate BCPM GPA, undergraduate non-BCPM GPA, overall graduate GPA, graduate BCPM GPA and graduate non-BCPM GPA.

The undergraduate BCPM GPA includes all undergraduate level biology, chemistry, physics and math course work. Included in the BCPM GPA are courses which satisfy the prerequisite course work (excluding English).

TMDSAS - FAQ - Application Processing at TMDSAS

One more time to be clear
My school gpa with plus and minus is 3.62 and my gpa without plus and minus is 3.8 the 3.8 will be used for admission purposes at all Texas school? Has people that have applied to dental school verified this is true? It makes a big difference in my gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
My school gpa with plus and minus is 3.62 and my gpa without plus and minus is 3.8 the 3.8 will be used for admission purposes at all Texas school? Has people that have applied to dental school verified this is true? It makes a big difference in my gpa
This is a pre-med forum. For questions about the dental school application process, please see the Pre-Dental Forum.

Last edited:
Yes, my gpa went up like .2 for tmdsas opposed to Amcas which was pretty sweet, I got quite a few more A- than B+. Since it's the same service for dental/medical I'm sure it will do the same for you.