TMDSAS MCAT Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaghroota

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a reapplicant this upcoming cycle, hoping to better my MCAT score. I understand that the earlier you apply, the better and that the Texas application opens for submission on May 1st. I don't plan on taking the MCAT until May 31st (score release July 2nd).

My dilemma is this: if I apply in May, submit to all the schools, and get verified in June, that means schools will be seeing only my previous MCAT score since the next one won't be released until July 2nd. So do they immediately just toss my app in the bin since that previous score is all they have to go off of? I know there's a section where you can mention that you have an "upcoming exam date" but do they only wait to see what your next score will look like if they like your first one?

I know people apply early and submit to a "throwaway" school just so the app can at least get verified early. If I do that and then I wait until July 2nd to see my new MCAT score, that means schools I actually wish to apply to won't receive my full app + score until early July. In that case, have I ruined my chances of hearng back from schools since they'll be seeing my app for the first time in July instead of June?

So basically do I apply early and take the chance of all the schools seeing only my first MCAT score and hope that they don't just immediately reject me? Or do I apply to 1 throwaway school in order to get the app verified and wait to send the app to the rest of the schools until I receive the score on July 2nd?

I hope this makes sense. Sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a reapplicant this upcoming cycle, hoping to better my MCAT score. I understand that the earlier you apply, the better and that the Texas application opens for submission on May 1st. I don't plan on taking the MCAT until May 31st (score release July 2nd).

My dilemma is this: if I apply in May, submit to all the schools, and get verified in June, that means schools will be seeing only my previous MCAT score since the next one won't be released until July 2nd. So do they immediately just toss my app in the bin since that previous score is all they have to go off of? I know there's a section where you can mention that you have an "upcoming exam date" but do they only wait to see what your next score will look like if they like your first one?

I know people apply early and submit to a "throwaway" school just so the app can at least get verified early. If I do that and then I wait until July 2nd to see my new MCAT score, that means schools I actually wish to apply to won't receive my full app + score until early July. In that case, have I ruined my chances of hearng back from schools since they'll be seeing my app for the first time in July instead of June?

So basically do I apply early and take the chance of all the schools seeing only my first MCAT score and hope that they don't just immediately reject me? Or do I apply to 1 throwaway school in order to get the app verified and wait to send the app to the rest of the schools until I receive the score on July 2nd?

I hope this makes sense. Sorry for the long post.
I would recommend taking your time on the TMDSAS application and submit in early July as soon as your new score is available.
If you are on Facebook, there is a closed Facebook group called TMDSAS Hub where there has been a recent podcast going over all the changes in this year's TMDSAS application. Just seek out the group's name and ask to join. The TMDSAS 2019-2020 instruction book is available for download now from the TMDSAS website.
TMDSAS page also has many useful podcasts you can watch on almost any topic you can imagine. Follow TMDSASSupport on Twitter.
Good luck on your reboot!

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend taking your time on the TMDSAS application and submit in early July as soon as your new score is available.
If you are on Facebook, there is a closed Facebook group called TMDSAS Hub where there has been a recent podcast going over all the changes in this year's TMDSAS application. Just seek out the group's name and ask to join. The TMDSAS 2019-2020 instruction book is available for download now from the TMDSAS website.
TMDSAS page also has many useful podcasts you can watch on almost any topic you can imagine. Follow TMDSASSupport on Twitter.
Good luck on your reboot!
Do you know if there are any stats available for application transmission times?

The application verification and transmission times depend on the volume of apps being dumped into the system, but ranges from 2-4 weeks at busy times. The best way to be sure your app goes through smoothly is to get yourself an official transcript and enter your course names exactly as they appear on the transcript. Your app won't be verified without your Spring 2019 grades on your official transcript (so if you had dreams of submitting on May 1 but your Spring Term runs through May 20, you need that transcript!) Your app can be verified without your letters of rec and MCAT and CASPer scores though.

Reactions: 1 user