To apply or to not apply 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chocolatepumpkinpie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd like some help making a decision. This might be a long post, but I'd appreciate it if you could give me some feedback. I am in my mid 20s (ORM) and am planning to apply for med school, but I know it's kind of late. My academic record is average and I'd like to avoid retaking the MCAT at all cost (3.7-3.8 GPA and very low 30s MCAT 2014). If I retook my MCAT, I would probably max out at 35 (my best practice AAMC was 36, but I averaged at 32-33). Although I have strong research extracurricular (posters, presentations, publications etc etc.), I have much weaker clinical volunteering experiences. I started volunteering in a local hospital this April and was told by an adviser that my volunteering hours are too low (less than 100 hours) and shouldn't apply. In the past years, I have volunteered/shadowed physicians in a foreign hospital (short term), since I had known the CEO personally and was interested in management. I felt kind of discouraged by what the adviser had told me, so I put off my application (idiotic decision?). On a positive note, I can afford to apply for many schools or go to Postbac or Master's without any financial burden (debt), a situation that is fairly new to me and am very grateful to. I've considered DO but am leaning towards MD because I'd like to split my time working in a hospital and lab in the future (I just can't see myself doing pure clinical work). I've never shadowed a DO and don't really see myself applying. I've considered PhD, but it is not a path that I'd like to take for many many reasons. Should I apply anyway, or is reapplication to medical school detrimental (I cannot improve my app that much except more clinical volunteering hours and shadowing)? I am getting 4 killer letters out of 5. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have strong stats, so if you get more clinical experience and volunteering done this year and apply early next cycle, I really don't see why you wouldn't get MD IIs.
To me this is a very easy decision. Beef up the soft spots you noted and don't shoot yourself in the foot by submitting your primary this late without much volunteering/clinical on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Your adviser was right (it does happen... rarely).

Apply next cycle, improve your ECs. No need for a master's or postbac.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have strong stats, so if you get more clinical experience and volunteering done this year and apply early next cycle, I really don't see why you wouldn't get MD IIs.
To me this is a very easy decision. Beef up the soft spots you noted and don't shoot yourself in the foot by submitting your primary this late without much volunteering/clinical on your application.

Thanks for the advice! I will look for more shadowing/clinical experiences. Do you have any idea on working as a Scribe? I didn't find any local hospitals that are hiring a scribe :-/

Last edited:
Your adviser was right (it does happen... rarely).

Apply next cycle, improve your ECs. No need for a master's or postbac.

Thanks for the advice! Looks like not applying was the right decision. My father wants to kick me out of the house (yeah I'm kind of old) so I am considering a Master's for fun. My adviser just told me to retake my MCAT (I have very very low 30s from 2014 that I never retook). I got a V8 and don't really see myself getting a higher verbal score. Also studying for the new MCAT is just...What do you think?

Have you been working full-time or did you work at all while in college? If so, you might get cut some slack for the low volunteering.

Have you been working full-time or did you work at all while in college? If so, you might get cut some slack for the low volunteering.

Thanks for the feedback! I've been working full time in a lab since I graduated without a break. Luckily, I have been able to nail research jobs pretty smoothly. I never worked while I was in college...

Always best to apply early and with the best possible app, even if it means sitting out an app cycle.

Thanks for the advice, Goro! It's just frustrating since I am so old now XD and friends are graduating from med school. From what I've heard, reapplication would be detrimental; instead of looking what is "good" in your app, they would be looking for what is/was "wrong."