1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

To encourage everyone on these forums, here are my DAT stats and I got in!!!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Hot pickle baby, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Hot pickle baby

    Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey, for months I was told that I would not be granded admission based on my DAT scores. This came from other SDN members, students, and yes the MODS on SDN who think they have all the answers. I am not attacking any of these people, I am merely stating that I got into my state school and I did not retake my DAT eventhough 90% of the people I spoke to about it said that I must do so.

    PAT 18
    QR 13
    RC 16
    Biology 17
    Gen Chem 19
    O chem 19
    AA 17 40th percentile.

    My GPA is 3.1 and no masters. Science GPA is 2.9.

    So, what I am trying to say is, JUST dont believe what others tell you on these forums. If you want to be a dentist, go in there like your the man, and interview like a champ. Show the admission committees that you have what it takes.

    Be like me, I am the man.

    So what, it made me a little cocky. It happens.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hot pickle baby

    Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0
    Also, everyone said crap about my math score.

    IT WAS NEVER EVEN BROUGHT UP IN THE INTERVIEW!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Advendentist

    Advendentist Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2005
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    congratulations!!!!wow!! there's hope for me, what school did ypu get in?
     
  4. Hot pickle baby

    Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0


    there isnt any way in hell I am risking that move, read some of Gavins comments on how schools can tell who posts on here.

    Just trust me, I am telling the truth.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. elinz

    elinz Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2005
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    when did you apply? application sent?
    congrats!
     
  6. Hot pickle baby

    Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0
    Applied in May to several schools. (around 10 or so) Got into school of choice.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. DcS

    DcS damn the red baron
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2002
    Messages:
    825
    Likes Received:
    4
    nyu or tufts?
     
  8. Dutchboy

    Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2005
    Messages:
    534
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. HITMAN

    HITMAN Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2005
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0
    13 QR, 16 RC, 17AA, 3.1 overall and 2.9 science. Time to say what every reasonable, objective person is thinking right now- you are a minority. When pre-dents tell stories about some students getting in because they "fell through the cracks," they are talking about you. When dental students refer to some students who "really should not be here," they are talking about you. And when adcom's say they have a 95% graduation rate, but one student couldn't handle the courseload and had to be booted out, that one person is you. Nothing in your academic record shows you have the mental prowess to handle the rigors of dental school. Congratulations on your good fortune- you have become the poster child for why affirmative action fails us all. But don't worry, I'm sure you have a great personality.

    By the way, just out of curiosity, if your 17 AA is equivalent to the 40th percentile, what percentile is the 13 QR? :laugh:
     
  10. LloydBanks

    LloydBanks Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    Either that or the guy is lying. Oh well, either way it provides for some inspiration for applicants with low stats. Thanks for the contribution, pickle boy.
     
  11. Hot pickle baby

    Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Hot pickle baby

    Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0

    Its in the 20's but it was math. Obviously math is not important to dental school or they would give you math classes. no skin color didnt play a role. Im a white male. What really helped me was that I had lots of shadowing hours and I interview very very very well so well that I have been told that I should be a salesman.

    Makes sense, I sold myself to the committee, also I applied early May and interviewed a couple of places on their first interview days, that helped.

    Now if my posts make you :laugh: good but if you think I am lying then shake the pickle.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. CSade469

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2005
    Messages:
    134
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Dentist
    Hey, your posting makes me feel so good. I so agree on what your saying. It doesn't mean that you are going to be a great dentist if you do extremely well on standarized test. I have been an assistant for 6 years going on 7, I am more hands on than anything, but I am a poor tester. I like yourself am hoping that the committee does not overlook people who have been in the dental field, and know how a dental office runs. I have met so many people who are book smart, but can't do sh** when it comes to such things as making temp., and actually being able to flow in an office. It is such a high stress field that lots of people don't make it. So i don't understand why people want to become a dentist and they have not spend time in an office and have no clue what it encompass. And one more comment, just because you got accepted with those score people automatically think you are a minority, and that is so far from the truth, so people should think before they make a stupid comment like that.

    p.s.-- thanks for all the postings pickle :oops:
     
  14. SMC2UCLA2_

    SMC2UCLA2_ Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2004
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    0
    They want to make sure you know how to handle your collections- Apparently you can't :laugh: Thats not important though- its only money.

    Seriously, I congratulate you for getting in and I know one person who was in the same boat as you except for medschool and I truely believe he deserved to get in. He had a 3.0 GPA but from computer engineering. He busted his ass off and got a 32 on the MCATS.

    I don't mean to diss you either but I just wan't to clarify that if you think tests are not important then you will fail out of dental school cause unfortunately you need to pass those tests as well as the boards- theres no getting around those.

    If i could rain on your parade just a little more...you are the exception, not the rule as stated above. If there were 200 other people like you, at least 198 of them didnt get in.

    And finally... whats with all this paranoid talk of dental schools finding out who you are and kicking you out. You are not doing anything wrong and your story sounds way fishy- why would you have to change your name? ...Lots of question marks are floating around.
     
  15. greenday

    greenday Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2005
    Messages:
    193
    Likes Received:
    0
    Congrats... but then,
    you are one of the lucky ones taken at those stats.
    what if you didn't get in? :laugh:
    Weren't you gonna be one of them that tells everyone else here to retake their 17s?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Hot pickle baby

    Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0

    It really sucks that I try to post my story and tell others to not give up and little dorks and those that didnt get in try to pick my posting apart.

    Fishy? There are tons of people who get in with low GPAs and they are not minorities.

    Dont look at the overall stats, call the schools and look at their individual stats, you will be suprised to see that there are some schools with at least 5 or more students admitted in the prior year under the DAT < 15 category.

    Yes, less than 15. You are a fool if you think you know all about dental school from reading postings on SDN or reading Kaplan sheets on dental admissions.

    Hell, there are a bunch of schools that dont have minimum requirements! It may be so they can let the spoiled rich dentist's kids in with sub-par GPA's but nontheless, they get in................

    I don't care if you like my posts or not but if they sound fishy dont read them. :sleep:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Hot pickle baby

    Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0


    hmmm, last I checked I did get in so shake my pickle. :laugh:


    If I said something different would you contradict it too? Seems like theres alot of know it alls on this website.

    From your past postings your a little troll.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. greenday

    greenday Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2005
    Messages:
    193
    Likes Received:
    0

    Calling me a troll, I guess you should check on your own track record lol

    I'm allergic to bullshxt. So outta here.

    BTW, enjoy the GREAT feeling of getting in somewhere, best of LUCK in d-school, I heard it's not so easy.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Hot pickle baby

    Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0

    I will enjoy it. Maybe you will get that experience one day if you get your BS together. :laugh:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Kremlar

    Kremlar Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2005
    Messages:
    159
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental

    I'd like to read through these posts, but I cant seem to find them.. I tried doing a search for Gavin, but didnt seem to come up with the info.. Any sugguestions?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  21. LloydBanks

    LloydBanks Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    I too have heard that some admissions people will occasionally view these forums...but I seriously doubt they can take away this guys acceptace because he said he was accepted to their school. It's almost like he is saying that they would be so embarrassed and ashamed that they let someone of his caliber into their school that they would take it away for telling other people. I personally think this guy is full of it. If he won't say which school it is...it just makes him less credible.
     
  22. Audio

    Audio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2005
    Messages:
    991
    Likes Received:
    2
    You know what, I only hope that this guy is in my class. One less person to worry about. But hell, even if he isn't , at least i'll feel better knowing we'll be writing the same boards and maybe even applying to the same specialty programs...if he doesn't fail out by then :D
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  23. issa

    issa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    561
    Likes Received:
    0
    his TS is 18 so its higher than average, so if he applied to his instate school or a school that accept students with low gpas then its possible to get in.
     
  24. n2o*

    n2o* Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2005
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Dental Student

    Why don’t we address the real issue at hand? It’s this stereotypical attitude that plagues our society. The black man is guilty until proven innocent, dumb until proven intelligent, lazy until proven ambitions. This mentality that you display undermines the work of many minorities who have good credentials and get into dental schools based on that. A black man walks into class and these pseudo-intelligent assholes automatically assume that mr. black student cannot perform on par with the other students simply because he is black. It is this same mentality that perpetuates all kinds of unjust harms in black communities. Mr. white policeman shoots a black child IN THE BACK while the child is playing on the roof of a building. Why? Because he believes that black child +black neighborhood+night+roof = criminal with gun. His rationalization: “It was a mistake; I thought he was a criminal.” Another black child dead… and the world moves on. “Woe onto a hopeless race, they say!” Now there are programs like affirmative action trying to solve a problem that resulted from the centuries of abuse inflicted upon a whole race of people. You dig a ditch as deep as the Nile is long and you throw a bunch of people into it. You make them believe that they belong there through bull**** tactics like religion. rs Centuries later you tell them to grow wings and come out of the ditch. It just won’t happen. It is a process. Affirmative action will not allow incompetent student to enter into dental school… so think twice before you make your ignorance so obvious. It’s people like you who feed to the bull**** in this society. It’s people like you who take us miles away from any kind of solidarity between all races. It’s because of people like you that a black man, whether he is a doctor, dentist, or a lawyer can never walk down the street without his credentials being questioned. That is nonsense… and you need to drop it. If you wanted to know whether the guy who started this thread was a minority, then you should have asked him.
     
  25. duh?

    duh? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2005
    Messages:
    847
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    :eek: Now that was not a very smart thing to say/do. Reasonable? Objective? I don't think so. You went ahead and judged this person without evidence. You just assumed he was a minority. So now that he's not a minority, can you justify your statements? Please work on that kind of attitude because it will not serve you well as a dentist. So if you have a minority walk into your dental office, would you assume he/she would not be able to foot the bill? You seem like a bitter person, but I can't judge you, I don't even know you.

    Congratulations Hot Pickle! Now I have a job for you. :D I would like you to go ahead and be the best that you can be. Excel at Dentistry and prove all the nay-sayers wrong. When things get tough, remember people like these. I wish you success.

    Yeah, I have a problem with the word "impossible!" Sue me. :D
     
  26. n2o*

    n2o* Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2005
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Dental Student


    "Excel at Dentistry and prove all the nay-sayers wrong" is a horrible attitude to have. To even consider that the purpose of going through dental school or any other ambitious endeavor is to prove somebody else wrong, or prove anything to anybody other than yourself is degrading. You should be doing things to please yourself and accomplish self-goals, and not trying to prove Mr. X or Mrs. Y wrong. If you live your life in such a manner you will be trying to prove all sorts of things wrong or right to all the wrong people. You don't even know those people so don't worry about them. Even if you did decide to set your life goals according to proving other people right or wrong, such a task can never be accomplished because you will invariably run into somebody who you can't prove right or wrong. Those people will never acknowledge your accomplishments.
     
  27. BabberSher

    BabberSher an Army of Darkness fan
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    "duh?" and "n20*" thanks for the posts! :cool:
    Great Job in not letting these people's ignorance slide!

    I was really pissed with the reactions everyone had to pickle's thread. :mad:
    His intentions were good, just to give confidence to those who have not gotten in. He posted his scores, which many of the people who got the same scores would not (or still might not) do until they get accepted. All the people who posted after pickle, where pissed because they have realized that they have to actually COMPETE w/people with lower scores. They were shocked that personality also mattered. So, they led to the ignorant conclusion that he was a minority. I really feel bad for their future patients. Forget about being a good dentist, they need lessons in being better human beings.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  28. LloydBanks

    LloydBanks Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    Wrong. It's affirmative action and black people that continue to feed this sterotype that plague our society.
     
  29. biocmp

    biocmp I'm a computer
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2005
    Messages:
    341
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Tell me more Lloyd, I want you to go as far as n20. This is a good argument and I want to hear more. :) It's getting things out that need to be said. n20 responded with one of the best posts I've seen on here as far as responding to these people who make pseudo-racial statements. Ask before replying, you will look much smarter. Even a fool can seem wise if he keeps his mouth shut! Try to remember that, it will serve you well through life!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  30. BabberSher

    BabberSher an Army of Darkness fan
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    Lloyd, remember why u want to be a dentist...
    One of the top reasons is to help your community and make a difference in your patients’ lives. You will not get anywhere imposing these racist beliefs that your parents have imbedded in your mind since u came into this world. Learn to think for yourself! This country is full of different races, religions, and nationalities. You will not be able to choose your patients, and you better not think of people as dollar bills walking into your clinic. I pray that u, and people like u, shed this blinding ignorance. When you do, you could make some fruitful relationships with many people & actually enjoy life.

    Merry X-mas :cool:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  31. Dutchboy

    Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2005
    Messages:
    534
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    What I think he may have been trying to say is that because some minorities do get into dental school with less than desirable stats it isn't fair to the minorities that worked their a$$es off and are the cream of the crop. Because of affirmative action many people will wonder if a minority student is there because of afimative action or because they are the best america has to offer. I'm not saying this is right, it's just the reality of it.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  32. duh?

    duh? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2005
    Messages:
    847
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    "Excel at Dentistry AND prove all the nay-sayers wrong" IS NOT the same thing as "Excel at Dentistry TO prove all the nay sayers wrong." I believe you misunderstood my point.
     
  33. n2o*

    n2o* Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2005
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Dental Student
    Many people on this forum are misconstruing my point. Affirmative action will not allow an incompetent student into any field. The black child must have the requirements and decent grades at the very least. Look at this, to get into dental school, the norm was once a 3.0 average and okay DAT scores – maybe a 17 or so. In the future, as dentistry becomes more and more competitive, the norm may rise to a 3.6 average with a 21 on the DAT to get into a dental school. When the stats were lower, competent dentists were produced. When the stats are high, competent dentists will still be produced. A minority without the requirements will not be allowed into a school simply because he is a minority. This is how it works: a minority with a 3.6 and 20 on DAT may get into Harvard while the average stat for a Caucasian or Asian will be 3.8 and 24 on the DAT. Does that mean one will be a better dentist than the other? No. Are both competent? Indeed! You guys are speaking as if affirmative action opens the door for incompetent buffoons. That is pure nonsense. Affirmative action will not get grades for you in dental school. Affirmative action will not pass the board for you. Affirmative action will not get you certified. Let’s examine what is real. The issue at hand is not whether a minority benefited from affirmative action. He may have or he may not have. Who cares? Not me. The issue is whether or not he will get through dental school and become a dentist. People need to reexamine all the rotten assumptions flying around this forum.

    Let me walk you through a little bit of history my friends. Black people have more obstacles than their counterparts. Affirmative action is a form of atonement and retribution. There is nothing unfair about that. You can’t burn somebody’s house down then tell them to forget about it and move on. Where will they live! Now you will argue that in order to get them a new house everybody on the block will have to get one too. Nonsense! That is not the way things work. I could continue… and perhaps I will post a follow-up after my finals. But many people on this forum need to open their eyes and see what is real before they cry “it’s not fair.” I can write a book on the injustices that have been committed against African Americans.
     
  34. n2o*

    n2o* Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2005
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Dental Student
    If those two statements are not the same, then they are Siamese twins joined by the cerebrum.
     
  35. LloydBanks

    LloydBanks Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    So it's racist to believe that affirmative action is a plague on our society? It's racist to believe that this "program" that catapults minorities that haven't earned it or are ready for it into professional programs simply because of the color of their skin? It's racist to believe that affirmative action makes every hard woking minority look like a product of the system? So many people think the answer to solving the minority problems in the US is to give and give. This is complete trash. I think YOU should learn to think for yourself instead of echoing the sentiments of every ignorant affirmative action supporter here. You should know what the program does and what the ACTUAL results are before you respond.
     
  36. LloydBanks

    LloydBanks Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    Get a life.
     
  37. LloydBanks

    LloydBanks Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you.
     
  38. Dutchboy

    Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2005
    Messages:
    534
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I'm sorry this is just not true. I have a friend that sits on a well known dental school's admissions board. Last year applications to dental school were up around 23% and like you mentioned things are getting much more competitive. With that said, my friend told me about a case were an African American male was accepted last year with a 2.5 GPA and a 14 AA on his DAT. Is that competitive? Is that fair to people that worked endless hours to achieve a high GPA and DAT scores? I'm definitely not trying to say that African Americans don't face many struggles in America today, but letting someone in with stats like this is not equality.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  39. issa

    issa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    561
    Likes Received:
    0
    i am sure he wasn't accepted at harvard. when he become a dentist he will not move to califonia and make money he will serve his state because some states need more dentists.
     
  40. Dutchboy

    Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2005
    Messages:
    534
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Ya, not Harvard. I'm not going to say exactly which school it is but like I said it is a well known and respected school.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  41. IndDent

    IndDent || Bharat Maata Ki Jai ||
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2005
    Messages:
    174
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thought I would weigh in on this topic. Regardless if the OP is a minority, got in on affirmative action, shear determination, or just got lucky, we shouldn't belittle him or her. To the OP, good you got in, sorry to hear about your scores and gpa, and sorry, but I would never want to have you as my dentist- regardless if you do well in dental school and prove yourself. There is inherently something wrong to perform so poorly on standardized tests and college classes as well.

    I guess for those of us who applied last year and didn't get in, or applied this year and haven't received any word back yet, it is frustrating to see someone with such subpar scores even get considered for dentistry. It is natural to feel disgusted with the process upon looking at the OPs statements. I guess there must have been something the adcom saw in this candidate that the rest of us aren't aware of.

    Goodluck to everyone, if the OP got in, then I'm sure the rest of us will too.
    Thanks,
    IndDent
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  42. Dr. Dai Phan

    Dr. Dai Phan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,181
    Likes Received:
    152
    Status:
    Dentist
    This response only deals with the original thread. It is true that there will be some people who got in with less than average GPA and DAT but please see this as an exception rather than the rule. As the applicant you want to thrive for the best scores you can get but if you have sub-par average, do not give up. Apply anyway and see what happens. I know someone personally with very average GPA and board score but that person got in one of most difficult specialties to gain admission. DP
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  43. n2o*

    n2o* Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2005
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Dental Student
    No, it’s not racist to believe that affirmative action is a plague to our society. I have respectable white and black friends who are for and others who are against affirmative action. The reasoning is what I look at. We debate on everything from affirmative action to religion. In the end we respect each other. I’m not accusing you of being a racist just as I do not consider myself a racist. I don’t know you. However, I am accusing you of being myopic just as you foolishly assume that I am regurgitating the words of other affirmative action supporters. What led you to make that assumption? Do you know me? Do you know what life experiences have brought me to hold these views? You know nothing, yet you make such a strong assumption. You want to see what you want to see and you want to hear what you want to hear. For example, you say that black people are given preference to certain programs solely because of the color of their skin. Think about that. You make it seems as if blacks were arbitrarily chosen for certain opportunities. I mentioned before that there is a history associated with why affirmative action exists. The history is real. The past is real especially when it is having such a great impact on the present and the future. You have said nothing to rebut the points that I have raised in my last post. I could go on, but now I wonder if it’s worth it. In the end, we all live our lives. You cry the word “injustice” as if you know the meaning. Keep crying.

    The story about the 2.5 with 14AA, I don’t know what was involved in his admissions screening. Perhaps you chose that story to illustrate a point, but what is the point? If that is true, it’s certainly not the norm.
     
  44. Pelotari

    Pelotari Pelotari
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Messages:
    146
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Dentist
    Sounds like the proverbial sour grapes from Mr. Hitman. It seems to me that he took offense because someone had the good fortune / ability to present themselves well to an adcom and get accepted, even with a less-than-exemplary DAT score. So what? Live and let live. I have one word for you: getoverit.

    By the way, how do you know that Pickle is a minority? More importantly, have you stopped to think what this statement says about you as a person and as a future dentist? Your statement suggests to me that you will question minorities' grades / degrees / income / whatever simply because they are a minority and, therefore, they might also be another example of a "failed affirmative action". Please be careful with such statements - this is how bad vibes between races propagate.

    I came to the conclusion that getting in Dental School is like playing golf. Yea, you look around at your competition and at the course and they may look menacing, but it all depends on YOU. Only YOU, your motivation to succeed, your own abilities, and (why not) a llittle bit of good fortune. Don't tell me that Tiger has never had a lucky bounce every now and then? Don't tell me that Jack Nicklaus was all skill all the time. This is what makes Dentistry so exciting!! YOU are the architect of your own destiny. May sound cliche-ish, but it is absolutely true.

    So what if Pickle had a good day or two? Let him have his day in the sun! It will ultimately be up to him to perform well once in Dental School. If it is luck, that normally runs out very quickly and he will be in trouble. If it is skill, well then good for him.

    You see, it turns out that life is a great equalizer. Give it enough time, and things will balance out. He got his turn, and you will too. It is up to each one of us to make the best of it.

    Later dudes, and let there be PEACE on this Earth.

    :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  45. LloydBanks

    LloydBanks Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2005
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    And you talk as if I don't know what the word "injustic" means. Get a life. Underqualified minorities getting into professional school is real. It IS based on the COLOR of their skin. This isn't like an unspoken racism that exists and nobody talks about it. It's a freaking law made by the liberals on capital hill. It allows people to prejudge and be racist and get commended for it. I didn't address your points? You made no points. You simply repeated what you've been told...which has no merit whatsoever. I know first hand how bad affirmative action is. I have relatives in high positions that have told me that if an African American female applies for a job there...she is pretty much a shoe-in, regardless of the competition. This is because of the affirmative action policies that have been put in place by blind followers like yourself. Have a nice day and I hope you can sleep at night.
     
  46. tooth07

    tooth07 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2005
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    for your info i am minority as well...but it takes too much ignorance to show how you streotype people without asking why some minority have hard time..having as much scores as majority students..tobegin with it is mainly financial and economical disadvantages...minority students is much likely to worry how to pay bills and even afford next meal while doing their o chem problems...while someone like you all they have to do is just sit on their azz and study while daddy pay all the bills..however i could only tell you..stooooooooooooop hating minority and mind your own *****s...by the way am minority and have:
    bio 23
    gen chem 19
    o chem 20
    PAT 19
    QR 20
    Ver 20
    and GPA 3.9 with science ave of 3.6....peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!
     
  47. tooth07

    tooth07 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2005
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    thnaks..it is good for once to see people who use their right minded..instead of hate they over heared form Mr daddy for as long they remember.....i hope i wont be class with such close minded individual with my D-school..am sure not applying in mid-west..where they tend to be more like those types!!!
     
  48. Hot pickle baby

    Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0

    you will be fine. admin committees like to know that the people they are admitting have experience and the actual desire to become a dentist like yourself as opposed to these spoon fed kids who just want money.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  49. n2o*

    n2o* Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2005
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Dental Student
    I agree with tooth07 in some ways. However, there are also whites, Asians, and especially foreign students who must balance school and work. Some manage to do it very well. All that, however, is irrelevant. The point that everyone is missing is that America wronged black people in so many ways. There are so many aspects that feed into the state of many black communities. It all has its direct effect on the struggles black people have faced. America owes it to blacks to provide opportunities that will enlighten them so that they will be their own role models. Note that this does not mean that the government should allow incompetent blacks into field X and Y. Black communities will prosper when blacks are prospering. Blacks will prosper by emulating other blacks who have prospered.

    I cannot stress enough that REPARATIONS are not meant to be fair. It’s compensation for so many years of terrible wrongs. It’s for slavery and the years of racism following. It’s for the years of physical and psychological abuse. The whole world cannot get it. It is foolish to suggest that they should. To ignore the fact that Affirmative action exists because it is atonement for what America has done to black people is not only ignorant, but stupid and I cannot continue a discussion with anyone who does not provide a reason as to why that part of history should be ignored.
     
  50. BabberSher

    BabberSher an Army of Darkness fan
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    I think the same argument could be made for Legacies. I mean COME ON, do u think Bush would've really gotten into Yale, if it wasn't for his daddy?

    I think affirmative action is needed for a little while more. Seriously, if some old white guy/girl on the addmissions comittee saw two applicants; one black w/ loads of EC activites and great scores, and one white applicant with the same scores but because she cheerleads - it reminds him of his daughter so he'll pick her.

    I think that we could get rid of Affirmative action when our generation gets on the admissions comittee. I truly believe that our grandparent's & parents' generation is the last bit of ignorance left in this world. {which explains last election's results...lol}

    The golden age is coming :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page