To encourage everyone on these forums, here are my DAT stats and I got in!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hot pickle baby

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, for months I was told that I would not be granded admission based on my DAT scores. This came from other SDN members, students, and yes the MODS on SDN who think they have all the answers. I am not attacking any of these people, I am merely stating that I got into my state school and I did not retake my DAT eventhough 90% of the people I spoke to about it said that I must do so.

PAT 18
QR 13
RC 16
Biology 17
Gen Chem 19
O chem 19
AA 17 40th percentile.

My GPA is 3.1 and no masters. Science GPA is 2.9.

So, what I am trying to say is, JUST dont believe what others tell you on these forums. If you want to be a dentist, go in there like your the man, and interview like a champ. Show the admission committees that you have what it takes.

Be like me, I am the man.

So what, it made me a little cocky. It happens.

Members don't see this ad.

n2o* said:
I agree with tooth07 in some ways. However, there are also whites, Asians, and especially foreign students who must balance school and work. Some manage to do it very well. All that, however, is irrelevant. The point that everyone is missing is that America wronged black people in so many ways. There are so many aspects that feed into the state of many black communities. It all has its direct effect on the struggles black people have faced. America owes it to blacks to provide opportunities that will enlighten them so that they will be their own role models. Note that this does not mean that the government should allow incompetent blacks into field X and Y. Black communities will prosper when blacks are prospering. Blacks will prosper by emulating other blacks who have prospered.

I cannot stress enough that REPARATIONS are not meant to be fair. It’s compensation for so many years of terrible wrongs. It’s for slavery and the years of racism following. It’s for the years of physical and psychological abuse. The whole world cannot get it. It is foolish to suggest that they should. To ignore the fact that Affirmative action exists because it is atonement for what America has done to black people is not only ignorant, but stupid and I cannot continue a discussion with anyone who does not provide a reason as to why that part of history should be ignored.
You have to be kidding me. We owe blacks essentially free acceptances to professional schools because of slavery? Holy hell. Wait a minuite...Jesse Jackson, is that you?

I only have one question for the supporters of affirmative action. Can you please explain to me how minorities expect to be given special treatment such as affirmative action, but then also expect to be looked at as an equal? Really, it is a question without an answer in my opinion. How do you take hand-outs and then expect the people who don't get them to see you as an equal.

Please note this has no reflection of my views on the subject but is a question I'd love to hear answered because I dont think it's possible.

DcS said:
I only have one question for the supporters of affirmative action. Can you please explain to me how minorities expect to be given special treatment such as affirmative action, but then also expect to be looked at as an equal? Really, it is a question without an answer in my opinion. How do you take hand-outs and then expect the people who don't get them to see you as an equal.

Please note this has no reflection of my views on the subject but is a question I'd love to hear answered because I dont think it's possible.

You are under the assumption that affirmative action produces incompetent professionals. When you go to the hospital, do you ask the med school GPA of your doctor before he treats you? No. He is a doctor. He finished medical school. He took and passed the boards. He did his residency. He is currently practicing medicine. Even if he were black and benefited from affirmative action, why would you think that he is incompetent? The MD after his name tells you everything that you need to know about him. So if you consider that, there is no reason why a black doctor or professional or whatever should not be considered inferior to the doctors of other races.

During the civil rights movement period you had blacks coming from the lowest ghettoes and still becoming medical doctors despite the blatant racism and discrimination they faced. Those blacks were not considered equal. Now that affirmative action is here, blacks are still not considered equal (to some, that is.) What has changed? Nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe aff. action is needed so that one day white and black will be equal. Honestly, most of these white kids who are complaining have low grades because they played too much X-box and screwed Debby-Sue when they should have been studying. Get your $hit together and study. Come back and talk when you have to duck from stray bullets or have to worry about the dangers you'll face walking to school.

And if you are white and come from a rough neighborhood, write it in your personal statement. Talk about what you had to face and how you overcame it all. They'll be impressed. Anyways, how many spots are there for minorities. Very few so stop complaining.

They did a study in the UK where they compared the success of people of African origin who did not have any history of slavery in their ancestor's past vs those that did. They found that the ones without that dark shadow hanging over them were more educated, successful, and lived longer. We're talking about effects of slavery from hundreds of years ago that still manifest themselves today! Just knowing your people were slaves means you have to work harder to overcome that internal prejudice.

n2o* said:
You are under the assumption that affirmative action produces incompetent professionals. When you go to the hospital, do you ask the med school GPA of your doctor before he treats you? No. He is a doctor. He finished medical school. He took and passed the boards. He did his residency. He is currently practicing medicine. Even if he were black and benefited from affirmative action, why would you think that he is incompetent? The MD after his name tells you everything that you need to know about him. So if you consider that, there is no reason why a black doctor or professional or whatever should not be considered inferior to the doctors of other races.

During the civil rights movement period you had blacks coming from the lowest ghettoes and still becoming medical doctors despite the blatant racism and discrimination they faced. Those blacks were not considered equal. Now that affirmative action is here, blacks are still not considered equal (to some, that is.) What has changed? Nothing.

I think you have a reading problem. Where in my post did I say ANYTHING remotely close to the question of the competency of people let in from affirmative action. Go ahead and read my post again and see if you can answer the question posed. I know it's a difficult task. I can only imagine what you got on your reading comp :rolleyes: The word equal had nothing to do with the quality of the professional. It had to do with being equal as a person. People can't expect special treatment and at the same time expect people to look at them as an equal. Not on a professional level, on a human being level.

Man you are dense.

Audio said:
Maybe aff. action is needed so that one day white and black will be equal. Honestly, most of these white kids who are complaining have low grades because they played too much X-box and screwed Debby-Sue when they should have been studying. Get your $hit together and study. Come back and talk when you have to duck from stray bullets or have to worry about the dangers you'll face walking to school.

I am now dumber for having read this post.

LloydBanks said:
You have to be kidding me. We owe blacks essentially free acceptances to professional schools because of slavery? Holy hell. Wait a minuite...Jesse Jackson, is that you?

One of the funniest posts I've read on this site. :thumbup:

CEASEFIRE!!! This thread sucks, honestly, I'm sick and tired of seeing it at the top of the thread list everytime I enter this forum. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on the matter...leave it at that. Whoever posts on this thread after me is a loser...because there are better things to do in life then to sit here and argue anonymously, protected behind our screen-names. At the end of the day, no one cares...repeat...no one cares.

JUST KIDDING! Affirmative action sucks...I agree with LloydBanks and DcS. Let's hope the original poster is going to Meharry or Howard...leave the rest of the schools to the candidates who are actually qualified. Who's to say that I haven't had any socioeconomic problems, racial inequalities, and profiling in my lifetime? I've been called everything from curryman, Ghandiboy, camel jockey, to sand n***** and such, not hired at restaurants because of my hairy arms, and everywhere I go people ask me if Apu is my relative. WAH WAH WAH, he hurt my feelings, please let me in to dental school because I suck at focusing and working hard?!?! PLEASE!!!

Idiots.

Peace,
IndDent

IndDent said:
CEASEFIRE!!! This thread sucks, honestly, I'm sick and tired of seeing it at the top of the thread list everytime I enter this forum. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on the matter...leave it at that. Whoever posts on this thread after me is a loser...because there are better things to do in life then to sit here and argue anonymously, protected behind our screen-names. At the end of the day, no one cares...repeat...no one cares.

Peace,
IndDent

You took time to post, therefore you care.

Oh wait, I'm a loser now. Oh no!

I really took my time to post, in between editing my last post, you actually got something up...my bad. DcS...I assure you, you are not a loser, please don't cry.

This thread is good for nothing...but good enough...FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!

I Keed I keed

I don't care if you are white, black, asian, whatever. If there is someone out there whos gonna be a better doctor than you will, I think he desereves the spot. we are not talking about a job at an IT company ; dentistry and medicine deal with people's health. I would not like to have my son or daughter to be out there 20 years from now leaving their health to the hands of people who got their jobs only because of the minotiry advantages, or the opposite, where some racist admission dean picked a worse applicant over better one only because the better one was black. peace.

arash said:
I don't care if you are white, black, asian, whatever. If there is someone out there whos gonna be a better doctor than you will, I think he desereves the spot. we are not talking about a job at an IT company ; dentistry and medicine deal with people's health. I would not like to have my son or daughter to be out there 20 years from now leaving their health to the hands of people who got their jobs only because of the minotiry advantages, or the opposite, where some racist admission dean picked a worse applicant over better one only because the better one was black. peace.

Yeah but honestly, how many of the "white" kids (including me) are going to go set up a clinic in Compton or Harlem or the ghettos of West Philly.

Maybe it's not such a bad idea to let in a few people with lower grades so they can serve their community and serve as a source of inspiration for the youth out there. This is the only way to reverse this cycle of poverty in the inner city.

Now, I have decent stats and I wasn't borderline so I don't know how i'd feel if someone less qualified than me got my spot but, stepping back, I can see that this is better for society.

The youth of the inner city have to have better role models than rappers and basketball players. Seeing a black professional who overcame the same obstacles they face can inspire them to strive for success.

That's the way I see it. Now, I know some of you guys are capitalists in the States and would probably sell your own mother if you could make a buck but, I'd like to know that if I have kids and die and can no longer support them, then some opportunities are made available to them. Altruism is vital to the survival of our species. Without it, we'll perish for certain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Audio said:
Yeah but honestly, how many of the "white" kids (including me) are going to go set up a clinic in Compton or Harlem or the ghettos of West Philly.

Maybe it's not such a bad idea to let in a few people with lower grades so they can serve their community and serve as a source of inspiration for the youth out there. This is the only way to reverse this cycle of poverty in the inner city.

Don't you understand that it never happens? The reasoning you used is the same every dental school does. Do you think after busting their butts to get out of that they are going to go back to it? No, that's why they tried so hard to leave. That's my problem with the whole issue. The whole reason for letting in minorities w/ lower stats is to help alleviate the access of care issue. There is no follow up though on where people go practice. In theory yes it makes sense, but in reality in rarely happens.

DcS said:
Don't you understand that it never happens? The reasoning you used is the same every dental school does. Do you think after busting their butts to get out of that they are going to go back to it? No, that's why they tried so hard to leave. That's my problem with the whole issue. The whole reason for letting in minorities w/ lower stats is to help alleviate the access of care issue. There is no follow up though on where people go practice. In theory yes it makes sense, but in reality in rarely happens.

I think that schools should have a normal applicant pool and then one for URM who want to apply as URMs. Those who apply to this pool should sign some sort of work contract to work in an underserved area. This is the only way they could be allowed to apply in this pool. Otherwise, they should be viewed as normal applicants and considered as part of the general pool.

Audio said:
I think that schools should have a normal applicant pool and then one for URM who want to apply as URMs. Those who apply to this pool should sign some sort of work contract to work in an underserved area. This is the only way they could be allowed to apply in this pool. Otherwise, they should be viewed as normal applicants and considered as part of the general pool.
:confused: :confused:

Karimi fan, I understand what you are saying, but this is not practical in real life. If Howard or any other minority university wants to support their own minority population, its fine. But i will sure be pissed to find that someone with lower stats got into my preferred dental school and I didnt only because of the minority advantage. And we need to understand that the number of black applicants have risen hugely during the last couple of years (good for them) so this trend of the whole minority advantage has to stop at some point since in 25 years there will be around twice as more blacks in dental or medical school as there are now. So you should look at it as a process but for now i believe we sould let the more qualified man get the job to enhance the quality of society.

arash said:
Karimi fan, I understand what you are saying, but this is not practical in real life. If Howard or any other minority university wants to support their own minority population, its fine. But i will sure be pissed to find that someone with lower stats got into my preferred dental school and I didnt only because of the minority advantage. And we need to understand that the number of black applicants have risen hugely during the last couple of years (good for them) so this trend of the whole minority advantage has to stop at some point since in 25 years there will be around twice as more blacks in dental or medical school as there are now. So you should look at it as a process but for now i believe we sould let the more qualified man get the job to enhance the quality of society.

So how would you feel about the following scenario: You are a caucasian male, who went to your state school for undergrad, are a resident of that state for your entire life, graduated with a 3.74 gpa in undergrad and a 19 DAT. It takes you 3 years of applications to get into that state dental school, your state school. You are a socially competent person, a nice guy and well-rounded.

When you get into dental school, you become friendly with an upperclassman, a very sweet girl who is very honest. She happens to be on the admissions com., and she tells you that this year they let in a couple of people with DATs around 14-15 and 2.6 gpas because they are minorities.

Are you going to be pissed?

This has been the pattern for several years. In fact, there are several people on the adcom (I can let you guess their background) who only push for certain applicants. When they do get in, those certain applicants have an acceptace brunch with the dean, while no mainstream groups get that opportunity. While in dental school, they get their own advisor and access to different materials.

Are you going to be pissed now?

Happened to a good friend of mine.

Hell yeh, I feel bad for your friend. Great 2 years of his life wasted. And Im sure he is not the only one. It will probably happen to me and im not even white. Being middle eastern, and not even having a choice to choose as middle eastern in the application, I chose white. so yeah, if not me, some one else in my shoes will feel the pain just like your friend did. This minority advantage will be hurting alot of better candidates.

arash said:
Hell yeh, I feel bad for your friend. Great 2 years of his life wasted. And Im sure he is not the only one. It will probably happen to me and im not even white. Being middle eastern, and not even having a choice to choose as middle eastern in the application, I chose white. so yeah, if not me, some one else in my shoes will feel the pain just like your friend did. This minority advantage will be hurting alot of better candidates.

You don't even get a choice for that?? That's crazy.

arash said:
Shows you how screwed up affirmative craption really is. I guess it's only selected minorities that get an advantage.

arash said:

I'm sure many of those options include "OTHER" with a space to specify what your ethnicity is. You stated here that you're "not even white" yet you chose to be classified as "white" in your application. Anybody that chooses to misrepresent himself or herself shouldn't really complain if things don't go exactly as they expect. Now i'm not saying you're complaining or anything. I just think that it's interesting that you chose to do what you did. :)

LloydBanks said:
Shows you how screwed up affirmative craption really is. I guess it's only selected minorities that get an advantage.

This is exactly my point. The choice "other" won't get you anywhere. I know I should have chosen "other" anyways, but whatever it's done now. And no there was no space provided for the ethnicity next to other.

We're not talking about minorities in regards to population but, rather in terms of the occupation. That's why being Asian or Indian or Iranian doesn't matter. Even though you're a minority in terms of population, you're still over-represented in the field of dentsitry. So it doesn't matter if you put white or other because there's no real advantage unless you're black, hispanic or native.

BabberSher said:
Seriously, if some old white guy/girl on the addmissions comittee saw two applicants; one black w/ loads of EC activites and great scores, and one white applicant with the same scores but because she cheerleads - it reminds him of his daughter so he'll pick her.

that's bull crap.

anyhows, stop hating on minorities. and so what if some people get low scores & get in? how do you know if that person works his butt off much as or even more than others w/ higher scores?

some people are good at exams and others aren't.

:scared: if you can't say anything nice, close your mouth!!!!

pickle - congrat!!!! :)

super marz said:
that's bull crap.

anyhows, stop hating on minorities. and so what if some people get low scores & get in? how do you know if that person works his butt off much as or even more than others w/ higher scores?

some people are good at exams and others aren't.

:scared: if you can't say anything nice, close your mouth!!!!

pickle - congrat!!!! :)

First of all I don't believe anyone is hating here (at least not me). second of all You have your opinion and others have theirs. What sounds disrespectful to your ear might sound just fine to mine, and the opposite is true, so define nice. Also its not a matter of test taking skills, we are talking about the whole package, that is GPA, DAT, ECA, LOR,......so if you arent good at any of those, I see no reason why you would be chosen over some strong applicant. I definitly wouldnt want him to be my or my families dentist in future. peace

This is like the parable of the blind people and the elephant.It clearly seems some of you white folks here have no clue what it is to be a black, immigrant and a minority in the land of the cheese and honey(America).Now all the three traits i have mentioned applies to me;being born and raised in Africa i had the chance to come to America to better my life.I am struggling today to make my way through the American society! When i will get in to dental school and become a dentist will you mighty whities view me as a competent dentist or someone who was given the position as a token by the white folks?It seems that ignorance is looming in this thread perhaps it is the best time for you folks to pick a book and read the individual abilities of humanbeings instead of summing them up together!

Dawgs said:
This is like the parable of the blind people and the elephant.It clearly seems some of you white folks here have no clue what it is to be a black, immigrant and a minority in the land of the cheese and honey(America).Now all the three traits i have mentioned applies to me;being born and raised in Africa i had the chance to come to America to better my life.I am struggling today to make my way through the American society! When i will get in to dental school and become a dentist will you mighty whities view me as a competent dentist or someone who was given the position as a token by the white folks?It seems that ignorance is looming in this thread perhaps it is the best time for you folks to pick a book and read the individual abilities of humanbeings instead of summing them up together!

Whether we like it or not, affirmative craption is still in effect. If all of you care so much, then maybe one of you can give up dentistry and pursue politics, do us all a favor and repeal that damn law. Otherwise, live and let live- forget about the injustice of the world, don't add any more wrinkles to your skin, as it is most of us will be coming out of d-school with enough debt and worries. Karma will bite them in the ass later. As for those of us who study and do well regardless of situation, life will reward you in the end.

I am neither Black nor White...rather Brown. What do you know? I'm a dog too! a comic insult dog...with that...the above post is For Me to POOP ON!

Heh, where in the loving hell did i mentioned in my post that i am supporting affirmative action.Perhaps its time for me to poop on your post! I was arguing for individual effort.Its great time for you mr brownie to read between the lines before you poop on others point of view!

Im sick of this thread, but I cant stop posting here. Anyways my final opinion, let the better man get the job.

Dawgs, I wasn't commenting on your post, I merely pooped on it as a sidenote...I couldn't control myself, must be all the fiber in my diet. I keed I keed.

IndDent

Dawgs said:

You know what I think is interesting. AFRICANS (that would otherwise be called Black in the US society) that are not US citizens or permanent residents are not considered minorities. Try applying for "minority" scholarships and you will find out. So in the US, unless you're of African descent AND a citizen/permanent resident, you're not really black and so you're not really part of the "minority" that Affirmative action may help. :D That's why I call myself the "brown" girl. :D I believe blackness is a concept (considering that the Irish were once considered to be 'black' or worse than black) and I do not subscribe to it. So, Dawg, what I'm trying to say is, affirmative action doesn't really do jack for PEOPLE LIKE (note the emphasis) you or me unless they're 'American.'
PS: The minute I read the elephant and blind folks line, I knew I had an African on my hands. Don't you just love how our culture spices up everyday conversations with parables and proverbs that DRIVE home the message even before you deliver the message. :D

Dawgs said:
You don't want us to sum "them up together" but you have no problem with terms such as "mighty whities". What ever works for you right!? My grandfather came from Holland and did not speak a word of english, he never got a handout and faced many struggles from society as well. If you put half the effort into your school work as you do to bitching and whining you would go as far as my grandfather did. Your the one who chose to come to "the land of cheese and honey", if it's that bad why the hell did you come in the first place?

Dutchboy said:
You don't want us to sum "them up together" but you have no problem with terms such as "mighty whities". What ever works for you right!? My grandfather came from Holland and did not speak a word of english, he never got a handout and faced many struggles from society as well. If you put half the effort into your school work as you do to bitching and whining you would go as far as my grandfather did. Your the one who chose to come to "the land of cheese and honey", if it's that bad why the hell did you come in the first place?

exactly my point, we dont see other immigrants whining as much as them. Im sure we face the same if not worse conditions (middle easterns), so why do u think you need to get a break?

duh? said:
I'm sure many of those options include "OTHER" with a space to specify what your ethnicity is. You stated here that you're "not even white" yet you chose to be classified as "white" in your application. Anybody that chooses to misrepresent himself or herself shouldn't really complain if things don't go exactly as they expect. Now i'm not saying you're complaining or anything. I just think that it's interesting that you chose to do what you did. :)
I had a secondary that had Chinese, Japanese, Vietmanese, and Laotion all as options. Now can anyone tell me how these nationalities are anymore different or more important than French, English, Swedish, Dutch, etc.? I'm from dutch ancestory and the only choice I get is the "white" box. Yes the color of my skin is white, but aren't all of these nationalities light brown, narrow eyed, and eat lots of rice? Oh I'm sorry did I offend anyone by lumping them all together? Now you know how I felt when I had "white" as my only option.

Dutchboy said:
I had a secondary that had Chinese, Japanese, Vietmanese, and Laotion all as options. Now can anyone tell me how these nationalities are anymore different or more important than French, English, Swedish, Dutch, etc.? I'm from dutch ancestory and the only choice I get is the "white" box. Yes the color of my skin is white, but aren't all of these nationalities light brown, narrow eyed, and eat lots of rice? Oh I'm sorry did I offend anyone by lumping them all together? Now you know how I felt when I had "white" as my only option.
:laugh: All I'm saying is, almost all questionaires that require you to state your ethnicity usually have the "other" option. If you feel the options available do not accurately represent you, then you may choose to select "other."

Dawgs said:
Then go the hell back to Africa and quit ragging on America. Go be a dentist in Africa and see which lifestyle would be better. Give me a break.

LloydBanks said:
Then go the hell back to Africa and quit ragging on America. Go be a dentist in Africa and see which lifestyle would be better. Give me a break.

:laugh: go back indeed!

LloydBanks said:

You make me sick :)

This thread turned real ugly real fast. Congrats pickle on getting into dental school.

In california white people are the minority now, there is a larger percentage of Hispanic/Mexican/Latin American people. So should the white people now get an advantage when applying to med/dent school, they are the minority now?

And following the affirmative action argument all Native Americans should get in and for free and then have a practice all set up for them. Since they were hear first and were butchered when the white man came to America.