To retake or not to retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morninglory

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my aug pcat was a 82 composite, even though I'm happy with it I'm nervous that it might seem average since it seems everyone has really high gpas and amazing scores these days. Anyone in the same boat as me? 82 good enough or should I repeat? the breakdown of my scores was as follows:

Composite 421 82
Verbal 422 81
Chemistry 411 62
Quantitative Ability 434 88
Reading Comprehension 402 48
Biology 434 90
my 2 writing scores were both 2.5

oh and currently my gpa is at about a 3.6, any advice helps! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

82 looks great with a 3.6 GPA but I noticed the 48 on the RC right away. What were you issues with RC during the test?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar situation. My scores were:

Composite 86
Verbal 92
Biology 75
RC 48
Quant 88
Chem 90
Writing 3/3

I'm worried about my RC score too. I thought the RC was the easiest, but I suppose I was wrong. Is a retake necessary? Or rather, are my chances for a good school slim? My science GPA is 3.52, mathGPA 4.0, and cumulative 3.80.

Same boat as you guys. I got a 53 in RC and a composite of 80. Also a GPA of 3.6.

I think we are average-to-above average to be honest. Look at class demographics for the schools that you are applying to. Most of them are most likely in the 70's.

Don't be put down by those on SDN posting their ridiculously high scores. The majority of the people on here are really smart. Plus, someone who gets a low score isn't likely to post a message saying their low scores that they are ashamed of. So you guys are all repeatedly exposed to the highest most elite scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
My situation is a little different. Pharmcas just calculated my GPA to be a 3.12 with a science GPA of 3.02. Each of those is definitely on the low end, but my pcat composite is a 91. Do you guys think this GPA may pull me down too much?

Look around on SDN, and I think you'll see the consensus is that you don't need a 4.0/99 GPA/PCAT combination to get into pharmacy school. But as one of those numbers goes down, it's usually nice for the other to compensate. Your composite is in the 90's, so congrats! That's great!

Your goal right now is to get that interview.

well I'm glad others are in the same boat, to tell the truth although I was surprised by the reading score I received I guess the fact that I recieved a 62 in chem bothered me more. It seems that almost everyone receives low reading scores and I actually didnt feel like I had a problem with that section coming out of the exam so who knows if that section is properly tested, either way I'm unsure of whether I should retake or not but thanks guys for the feedback glad to know others are also in my shoes!

Im in the same boat

I got 95 and 98 in Verbal and Bio respectivvely but 66 in RH, 64 in QA and 58 in Chem with a 87 composite - so it's kind of lopsided since Verbal and Bio saved me... I have a 3.5 cum GPA and 3.5 science.

Is it worth retaking in my case if im applying to UH-Hilo, UW, and UNV?

Im in the same boat

I got 95 and 98 in Verbal and Bio respectivvely but 66 in RH, 64 in QA and 58 in Chem with a 87 composite - so it's kind of lopsided since Verbal and Bio saved me... I have a 3.5 cum GPA and 3.5 science.

Is it worth retaking in my case if im applying to UH-Hilo, UW, and UNV?

tricky situation. Your composite is strong but it's carried a lot by your bio and verbal and they'll see that. How are your extracurrics looking? A healthy dose of extracurricular activities and a strong personal statement should make your app shine.

I got a 64 in the quant section :( I had a 94 overall.
The problem is that I took it in Oct 2006 and got an 87.
So the dropoff looks really bad.

3.29 overall, 3.00 sci