To those attending BCOM, what is your opinion of the school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robotfishbrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering attending this school, but I just have a couple of questions to any current student lurking on this forum.

1. How has the school year been thus far? Has the year met, exceeded, or fallen short of expectations you had after interview day?

2. What does the population health class entail? Is it a valuable addition to your education?

3. How has the curriculum been received thus far? I know its early but I'd like to get some impressions here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current BCOM student here, created this ID just to answer.

1. This year has met expectations to date. The faculty and administration have been fairly receptive to our concerns and I can honestly say our class is amazing and helps each other out. We have an active facebook group where study materials, questions, social activities are listed and participation is pretty high.

2. Population health is not yet valuable. The department currently consists of one professor and I imagine it's difficult to cover all concepts in such a way that is beneficial. I do believe it will one day have value, but not right now. Most people skip. We are tested on the concepts but as long as you do the reading/power points you're fine.

3. I'm liking the curriculum. It's a "helical" structure so we return to concepts frequently and layer on detail. While we have "blocks" it's not the typical "Anatomy" followed by "Biochemistry" etc. It's a mix, i.e. our first block was "Molecules to People" and integrated biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, pharmacology, etc. We have exams approximately every other week, and they're individual (80% of our grade) followed by collaborative (20%) of our grade. That's when you work in partners, and is intended to mimic the real world where you'll be surrounded by colleague physicians. Everyone was hesitant about it in the beginning but as the collabo score has been higher now on both exams we've taken, I think we're all ok with it. We also have team based learning, where you get an individual test (30%) followed by a group test (70%). They occur on specific topics where we can prepare ahead of time. Those haven't been too bad either. I think only about 3-4% of the class failed the first block (they will need to remediate) so clearly we're all doing pretty well thus far.

PS. we have a little snack shop/coffee place in the building that takes text orders.

Reactions: 1 users
Current BCOM student here, created this ID just to answer.

1. This year has met expectations to date. The faculty and administration have been fairly receptive to our concerns and I can honestly say our class is amazing and helps each other out. We have an active facebook group where study materials, questions, social activities are listed and participation is pretty high.

2. Population health is not yet valuable. The department currently consists of one professor and I imagine it's difficult to cover all concepts in such a way that is beneficial. I do believe it will one day have value, but not right now. Most people skip. We are tested on the concepts but as long as you do the reading/power points you're fine.

3. I'm liking the curriculum. It's a "helical" structure so we return to concepts frequently and layer on detail. While we have "blocks" it's not the typical "Anatomy" followed by "Biochemistry" etc. It's a mix, i.e. our first block was "Molecules to People" and integrated biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, pharmacology, etc. We have exams approximately every other week, and they're individual (80% of our grade) followed by collaborative (20%) of our grade. That's when you work in partners, and is intended to mimic the real world where you'll be surrounded by colleague physicians. Everyone was hesitant about it in the beginning but as the collabo score has been higher now on both exams we've taken, I think we're all ok with it. We also have team based learning, where you get an individual test (30%) followed by a group test (70%). They occur on specific topics where we can prepare ahead of time. Those haven't been too bad either. I think only about 3-4% of the class failed the first block (they will need to remediate) so clearly we're all doing pretty well thus far.

PS. we have a little snack shop/coffee place in the building that takes text orders.

Likely attending BCOM next year. How are the research projects coming up? As in, how are students approaching them--if they are even at this point. This one component was what attracted me to the school, many DO schools lack any research component at all..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Likely attending BCOM next year. How are the research projects coming up? As in, how are students approaching them--if they are even at this point. This one component was what attracted me to the school, many DO schools lack any research component at all..

While we know there is going to be a requirement, the terms are still in progress. There is a faculty committee which will have two open seats for students to provide their input, and we are in the process of finalizing those seats now. From a preliminary perspective, we have many options to choose from: population health, anatomy & cell biology, biomedical sciences, physiology and pathology, family/community medicine, OMM and clinical depts (IM, OBGYN, Peds, Surgery). It looks like it'll be 4 credits, with enrollment beginning spring 2017, P/F grading. There is also an option to collaborate with non-BCOM research orgs, and use an elective non clinical rotation (3/4 year) to do it. In discussing with fellow students, a bunch of us may get started the summer between 1/2 year.

Will federal loans be available next year? At the moment the website says no...

So how are most people paying then? Is tuition very low till 2018?

You can get private loans for medical school. If you have awesome credit you could get lower rates than federal loans (highly doubtful though). Your loans just don't qualify when they make federal policy changes. Also you can't use federal deferment or forbearance with private loans.