Toledo/MCO/MUO school questions--please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shpamme

status pages confuse me.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am accepted at Toledo and had a few questions. I searched the 2009 and 2010 class threads but didn't get answers to all of these. I would be very grateful if someone (especially a current student) could tell me regarding Toledo (aka MUO, MCO):
1. Are classes mandatory (e.g. with sign-in sheets?)
2. Are lectures on IPOD?
3. What is the grading system? Is it P/NP?
4. Are coursepacks very detailed? If anyone could send me a sample (e.g. for histo or biochem) I'd be most indebted.
5. How many California kids were able to go back to California for residency last year? (As you can tell, I hella heart Oakland). All I could find was the summary match list--not the program-by-program breakdown.
6. What is the exam schedule like? Is it realistically feasible to fly home to the fiancee and family in California one weekend a month? How easy is it to get to the airport from school?
7. How many hours would I expect to spend in class per day at Toledo?
8. Is it true you get in-state tuition after 1 year provided you establish Ohio residency?
9. Is academic support good? I am really worried about getting lost in a sea of 145 brilliant kids. If I fall behind I want to know there is someplace I can turn.
10. Is bus service in Toledo good and reliable? I was hoping to avoid bringing my car out, so I wanted to find a apartment that has a direct bus route to campus.
11. How good is the support system when it comes to choosing residency programs to apply to?
12. How is the environment? Is it very formal? I know staff and students are exceedingly nice and helpful, but I do get the impression it's extremely formal (dress codes, etc).
Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am accepted at Toledo and had a few questions. I searched the 2009 and 2010 class threads but didn't get answers to all of these. I would be very grateful if someone (especially a current student) could tell me regarding Toledo (aka MUO, MCO):
2. Are lectures on IPOD?
4. Are coursepacks very detailed? If anyone could send me a sample (e.g. for histo or biochem) I'd be most indebted.
5. How many California kids were able to go back to California for residency last year? (As you can tell, I hella heart Oakland). All I could find was the summary match list--not the program-by-program breakdown.
6. What is the exam schedule like? Is it realistically feasible to fly home to the fiancee and family in California one weekend a month? How easy is it to get to the airport from school?
8. Is it true you get in-state tuition after 1 year provided you establish Ohio residency?
9. Is academic support good? I am really worried about getting lost in a sea of 145 brilliant kids. If I fall behind I want to know there is someplace I can turn.
10. Is bus service in Toledo good and reliable? I was hoping to avoid bringing my car out, so I wanted to find a apartment that has a direct bus route to campus.
11. How good is the support system when it comes to choosing residency programs to apply to?
12. How is the environment? Is it very formal? I know staff and students are exceedingly nice and helpful, but I do get the impression it's extremely formal (dress codes, etc).

congrats on the acceptance!

First of all, congrats. Second of all, wow you have a lot of questions. I can help on some, but you could maybe direct a few to the admissions office.
1) Classes are generally not mandatory, but that can vary by instructor.
3) Grading system is pass/fail.
6) Toledo has an airport which is small and is expensive to fly in/out of. Most people drive an hour to Detroit (must plug Cleveland here for a great game 5 in double OT. Lebron finally came through in the second half despite the bad calls and missed free throws. Go Cavs).
7) After a year you do get in-state status in Ohio.

Once again, congrats. I need some in-state wait list movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats shpamme i rmr your posts on the other forum and im glad to hear you made it!! that is terrific! smp and depakote hang in there!

Hey you guys, Thank you so much for the sweet congratulations. I really appreciate it. Depakote and Smpco2, I totally, totally expect to see you there in August, and when we meet I'm buying our first dinner! Hang in there guys.. whatever I can do, please let me know. I'll do ANYTHING to make sure we're all there together. I don't know if it will help provide any insight for you guys but I am OOS.. I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys that the in state waitlist moves quickly.

2. Are lectures on IPOD?

1. Classes are not mandatory except for a couple exceptions. PBL is mandatory every week for two hours. A handful of FCP classes are mandatory (those dealing with physical exam, drug and substance abuse by physicians, and certain ethics cases). Anatomy lab is mandatory first year. During Immunity and Infection second year there are about 5 times you meet in small groups to discuss cases.

2. Lectures are recorded (audio only) and updated daily on the school's academic intranet.

3. The grading system is Fail/Pass/High Pass/Honors for everything all four years with the exception of PBL which is Pass/Fail.

4. Although there are exceptions, the coursepacks are detailed enough that textbooks aren't necessary unless you're just into textbooks for fun.

5. I don't know the specific numbers of Cali kids that were able to go back to Cali for residency. This is going to be tough to determine because you'd have to also know how many Cali kids wanted to go back to California. Toledo won't hinder or help your chances at returning to CA if that's what you want to do. It's pretty much just luck of the draw.

6. Test schedule - In general count on one test per month. There are notable exceptions, but this is a general rule that will hold true most of the time. You would definitely be able to fly to CA for a weekend or even a 3 or 4 day weekend if you wanted. Most people use DTW to fly in and out of simply because it's one of the biggest airports in the country and the non-stop possibilities are almost endless and fares are generally (although not always) cheaper. TOL is about 20 minutes from campus and DTW is 55 minutes or so from campus. I've flown out of both TOL and DTW. You won't get any more convenient than TOL, but the fares tend to be higher.

7. With the exception of anatomy count on 20-25 hours of classes a week. With anatomy labs that number bumps up by about 10 hours per week.

8. Yes, instate tuition after one year assuming your parents don't claim you on taxes and you register to vote, sign a lease in Ohio, and transfer your CA car title over to Ohio.

9. There is tutoring available in every block. I haven't used tutoring, but from talking to other students its generally good. There is a full-time PhD psychologist whose sole job is to ensure educational success for students.

10. Bus service will get you most anywhere in Toledo if you're willing to wait a long time, especially living in and around South Toledo which is not that heavily served by TARTA. I wouldn't rely on public bus transport to get around because of the long time it takes to transfer to different routes. For example, to get to the largest mall from South Toledo might take you an hour and a half........it's possible, but not efficient.

11. Don't know for sure, but from what I've heard it's pretty good.

12. There is no enforced dress code the first two years. People are in shorts during the warm months and in hoodies during the cold months all the time. During anatomy many people wear their scrubs to class because it's more convenient. You can also get up and leave lecture anytime you want without fear of being called out, you can feel free to joke around during breaks, and you can comfortably carry on light-hearted conversations with faculty (especially during anatomy). The second two years are another story entirely, but that's expected at any school I would hope.

Hey you guys, Thank you so much for the sweet congratulations. I really appreciate it. Depakote and Smpco2, I totally, totally expect to see you there in August, and when we meet I'm buying our first dinner! Hang in there guys.. whatever I can do, please let me know. I'll do ANYTHING to make sure we're all there together. I don't know if it will help provide any insight for you guys but I am OOS.. I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys that the in state waitlist moves quickly.

Now I have even more incentives to get into Toledo. :D

Good info. :thumbup:

1. Classes are not mandatory except for a couple exceptions. PBL is mandatory every week for two hours. A handful of FCP classes are mandatory (those dealing with physical exam, drug and substance abuse by physicians, and certain ethics cases). Anatomy lab is mandatory first year. During Immunity and Infection second year there are about 5 times you meet in small groups to discuss cases.

2. Lectures are recorded (audio only) and updated daily on the school's academic intranet.

3. The grading system is Fail/Pass/High Pass/Honors for everything all four years with the exception of PBL which is Pass/Fail.

4. Although there are exceptions, the coursepacks are detailed enough that textbooks aren't necessary unless you're just into textbooks for fun.

5. I don't know the specific numbers of Cali kids that were able to go back to Cali for residency. This is going to be tough to determine because you'd have to also know how many Cali kids wanted to go back to California. Toledo won't hinder or help your chances at returning to CA if that's what you want to do. It's pretty much just luck of the draw.

6. Test schedule - In general count on one test per month. There are notable exceptions, but this is a general rule that will hold true most of the time. You would definitely be able to fly to CA for a weekend or even a 3 or 4 day weekend if you wanted. Most people use DTW to fly in and out of simply because it's one of the biggest airports in the country and the non-stop possibilities are almost endless and fares are generally (although not always) cheaper. TOL is about 20 minutes from campus and DTW is 55 minutes or so from campus. I've flown out of both TOL and DTW. You won't get any more convenient than TOL, but the fares tend to be higher.

7. With the exception of anatomy count on 20-25 hours of classes a week. With anatomy labs that number bumps up by about 10 hours per week.

8. Yes, instate tuition after one year assuming your parents don't claim you on taxes and you register to vote, sign a lease in Ohio, and transfer your CA car title over to Ohio.

9. There is tutoring available in every block. I haven't used tutoring, but from talking to other students its generally good. There is a full-time PhD psychologist whose sole job is to ensure educational success for students.

10. Bus service will get you most anywhere in Toledo if you're willing to wait a long time, especially living in and around South Toledo which is not that heavily served by TARTA. I wouldn't rely on public bus transport to get around because of the long time it takes to transfer to different routes. For example, to get to the largest mall from South Toledo might take you an hour and a half........it's possible, but not efficient.

11. Don't know for sure, but from what I've heard it's pretty good.

12. There is no enforced dress code the first two years. People are in shorts during the warm months and in hoodies during the cold months all the time. During anatomy many people wear their scrubs to class because it's more convenient. You can also get up and leave lecture anytime you want without fear of being called out, you can feel free to joke around during breaks, and you can comfortably carry on light-hearted conversations with faculty (especially during anatomy). The second two years are another story entirely, but that's expected at any school I would hope.

hey guys (hallm especially!)
have you heard whether toledo has a formal note-taking service? is it somethign you have to pay for? is it basically just a transcript of the lecture?
thanks =)

Also could some tell me exactly what is covered in Block 1? I will be in the MSBS program there, and it seems like that is what is really important for us...

Shpamme grats on your acceptance :)

Also could some tell me exactly what is covered in Block 1? I will be in the MSBS program there, and it seems like that is what is really important for us...

Shpamme grats on your acceptance :)

If you'd excuse my ignorance, ;) what's MSBS and what's the program all about?

If you'd excuse my ignorance, ;) what's MSBS and what's the program all about?

It a SMP with a guaranteed Interview in the program. From what I hear, if you stay near or above the class average in Block 1 and 3 you are in good shape for the medical school. I also want to prove my worth to other schools that I am applying to. I need all the help I can get :luck:

Block I will start out with cell biology (cell cycle, cell structure, etc) and general histology. After cell biology you'll move into biochemistry. After biochem you'll study molecular genetics and Mendellian genetics.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey dr. vannostran--thank you for the congratulations! =)
congrats to you too...can't wait to meet in the fall! you will do great i'm sure and we'll all stick together to try to help you.. although i'm sure you won't need it. ;)

any idea on the notetaking service anyone?

Block I will start out with cell biology (cell cycle, cell structure, etc) and general histology. After cell biology you'll move into biochemistry. After biochem you'll study molecular genetics and Mendellian genetics.

Thanks for the info! Do they give a lot of practice questions (i.e. old exams to help study) ?

Also, I probably will be visiting Toledo in about a month or so. Do you think an M2 would mind if I asked "Can I photocopy your Course Syllabus for Block 1?" I want to get started studying for it ;)

In the mean time, I have started reading course notes for Biochem and Cell Bio from another med school here just to get freshend up. This might be my only chance :scared:

hey dr. vannostran--thank you for the congratulations! =)
congrats to you too...can't wait to meet in the fall! you will do great i'm sure and we'll all stick together to try to help you.. although i'm sure you won't need it. ;)

any idea on the notetaking service anyone?

Good question, this would be a really helpful asset.

It a SMP with a guaranteed Interview in the program. From what I hear, if you stay near or above the class average in Block 1 and 3 you are in good shape for the medical school. I also want to prove my worth to other schools that I am applying to. I need all the help I can get :luck:

The stakes are high. Do you very best in this program. This might be your final shot at getting in. And BTW, are you required to pay tuition for this program? And if so, how much? I remember last year Wake Forest offered me something similar with a guaranteed acceptance in their M1 class if I passed and they even waived the tuition.

Thanks for the info! Do they give a lot of practice questions (i.e. old exams to help study) ?

Also, I probably will be visiting Toledo in about a month or so. Do you think an M2 would mind if I asked "Can I photocopy your Course Syllabus for Block 1?" I want to get started studying for it ;)

In the mean time, I have started reading course notes for Biochem and Cell Bio from another med school here just to get freshend up. This might be my only chance :scared:

I don't think you'll want to photocopy the course pack for biochem......it's about 2000 pages long. But if you want I will give you my whole set of notes when you're here. They're sitting on my desk right now and I'm contemplating what to do with them. Right now I'm leaning toward putting them in the recycling bins at school instead of just throwing them in the dumpster. :D But if someone wants to take them and actually put them to use then I'll be thrilled to give them away. PM if you're interested.

There are old practice tests on reserve at the library, and according to LCME rules every MD school must give "formative questions" throughout the test block.

I doubt you'll have a notetaking service. With comprehensive course note pack a notetaking service is a waste of time and money. The last year to have one was the class of '08 and they all hated it. They're exact transcripts of what was said in class (bad jokes and all), so they are low yield and it takes FOREVER to read through them. And you're talking about a lot of paper and printer supplies that must be bought, so it costs money. I actually have the noteservice on my computer since the previous year passed it down. I never use them.

Thanks Hallm! It's good to know the coursepack is so comprehensive. I *might* trouble you for the noteservice stuff later.. but if you feel the coursepack is really comprehensive, I'll probably just stick to that. I've learned from experience that the more I'm inundated with redundant things, the more confused I get. And I have this bad OCD habit of trying to go over everything I get..so maybe it's a good think to stay away from the noteservice stuff.

DrVanNostran.. you asked first, so I don't want to intrude.. but would you mind if we shared Hallm's notes? I'd be more than happy to pay copying costs =)

Hallm, you are too generous. I'll do my best to pay it forward when I have the opportunity. Are you taking the boards? I have Goljan lectures, courtesy of the fiancee.. I'm sure we can figure out a way to upload them via Yousendit so you can get them. Let me know. =)

I don't think you'll want to photocopy the course pack for biochem......it's about 2000 pages long. But if you want I will give you my whole set of notes when you're here. They're sitting on my desk right now and I'm contemplating what to do with them. Right now I'm leaning toward putting them in the recycling bins at school instead of just throwing them in the dumpster. :D But if someone wants to take them and actually put them to use then I'll be thrilled to give them away. PM if you're interested.

There are old practice tests on reserve at the library, and according to LCME rules every MD school must give "formative questions" throughout the test block.

I doubt you'll have a notetaking service. With comprehensive course note pack a notetaking service is a waste of time and money. The last year to have one was the class of '08 and they all hated it. They're exact transcripts of what was said in class (bad jokes and all), so they are low yield and it takes FOREVER to read through them. And you're talking about a lot of paper and printer supplies that must be bought, so it costs money. I actually have the noteservice on my computer since the previous year passed it down. I never use them.

Thanks Hallm! It's good to know the coursepack is so comprehensive. I *might* trouble you for the noteservice stuff later.. but if you feel the coursepack is really comprehensive, I'll probably just stick to that. I've learned from experience that the more I'm inundated with redundant things, the more confused I get. And I have this bad OCD habit of trying to go over everything I get..so maybe it's a good think to stay away from the noteservice stuff.

DrVanNostran.. you asked first, so I don't want to intrude.. but would you mind if we shared Hallm's notes? I'd be more than happy to pay copying costs =)

Hallm, you are too generous. I'll do my best to pay it forward when I have the opportunity. Are you taking the boards? I have Goljan lectures, courtesy of the fiancee.. I'm sure we can figure out a way to upload them via Yousendit so you can get them. Let me know. =)

Fine by me :p I planned on photocopying them anyways, we can just split the cost or whatever, we can figure all that out later. Hallm has come to the rescue :love:

It is good to know that there will be a lot of practice problems to work with. Also, 2000 pages for block 1 eh :eek:Thats nuts, but I guess an eleven week course that covers all that material, makes sense. Unless it's ONLY biochem and not cell and genetics :eek:

Thanks again, once I get my official letter and send in my deposit, ill PM you for sure, and figure things out with Shpamme :)

DrVanNostran, you are too sweet to share, I really appreciate it. And Hallm...I really can't thank you enough. Are you sure we can't give anything back to you? Again.. got Goljan lectures if you need them =)

DrVanNostran, you are too sweet to share, I really appreciate it. And Hallm...I really can't thank you enough. Are you sure we can't give anything back to you? Again.. got Goljan lectures if you need them =)

There is this really good persian resteraunt near MUO--called the Grape Leaf, I was going to buy him/her dinner at the least.

Also, when do you plan on going to Toledo? From what I remember, you are coming from Cali? I live about 240-250 miles from toledo, I could probably go there and come back before dinner :laugh:

haha =) okay well if you do buy him (her?) dinner, count me in!
i AM coming from cali.. and you got that on me, you COULD probably go to toledo and back by supper. but i may, just may have one up on you.. i can be at the mexican border and back by breakfast. =) gives new meaning to the word breakfast burrito.

Thanks for the offer about Goljan, but I think I'll pass on them. I actually have his Rapid Review path book now, and I'm pretty much maxed out on resources. I've notated most of First Aid and am just going over it at this point.

I can't believe you guys have already heard about Grape Leaf. If you watch around school you can actually get free food from there a few times a year. When they cater food for us they bring two big sheets of baklava.....I always get 4 or 5 pieces. If you're into Middle Easter/Mediterranean food there's also The Beirut on Monroe at Douglas, Byblos on Reynolds, Wing Station (don't know where they got the name since they don't even serve buffalo wings....probably lost in translation or something) across Glendale from campus, and a new one on Glendale about 2 minutes from campus called Salaam. There's a few more around town, but those are the ones I've been to.

Do you guys know when you'll bein town? I'm actually going to be in Florida and Kentucky from June 20th to about June 30th. Our clerkships start on July 2.

Oh, I'm a "he" by the way. :)

Aww..I really wish there was something I could do. Well, the Goljan offer stands.. let me know. =) I will bake cookies for sure in lieu, then.

Thanks for the awesome recommendations. Quite excited to try the baklava, I'll keep an eye out for it!

I'll be arriving with moments to spare before orientation, on August 13 or therebouts. I figure that gives me about a week to make the mandatory IKEA and Costco trips, get supplies, get groceries, and get settled before school starts. We'll have to get dinner at your convenience one of the first couple weeks of school.

Do you know if recommended supplies are more expensive on campus (e.g. scrubs, dissection kits, etc?) I was thinking of buying them here and then bringing them out.

Thanks for the offer about Goljan, but I think I'll pass on them. I actually have his Rapid Review path book now, and I'm pretty much maxed out on resources. I've notated most of First Aid and am just going over it at this point.

I can't believe you guys have already heard about Grape Leaf. If you watch around school you can actually get free food from there a few times a year. When they cater food for us they bring two big sheets of baklava.....I always get 4 or 5 pieces. If you're into Middle Easter/Mediterranean food there's also The Beirut on Monroe at Douglas, Byblos on Reynolds, Wing Station (don't know where they got the name since they don't even serve buffalo wings....probably lost in translation or something) across Glendale from campus, and a new one on Glendale about 2 minutes from campus called Salaam. There's a few more around town, but those are the ones I've been to.

Do you guys know when you'll bein town? I'm actually going to be in Florida and Kentucky from June 20th to about June 30th. Our clerkships start on July 2.

Oh, I'm a "he" by the way. :)

Do you know if recommended supplies are more expensive on campus (e.g. scrubs, dissection kits, etc?) I was thinking of buying them here and then bringing them out.

The school actually helps you a lot, you get a free white coat (actually one "free with tuition" but you get the idea,) in the fall the surgery club will have a scrubs sale, and AMSA will have an equipment sale. Speaking of equipment, don't buy anything but a stethoscope, dissection kits are provided for you in the lab and the hospital has all the equipment you need.

When it comes to books, you can opt to become a dues paying member of AMSA and sign up for their credit card to get a free Netters, but otherwise if you can try to buy your books else where, the standard bookstore up charge still haunts you in med school.

All this UT talk is just getting me extra excited about the school... Thanks for all the sweet info.

I really hope this doesn't turn out to be a year where the alt list suddenly slows to a snail pace and all I've heard just turns out to have been for nothing... :(

Well, in the mean time, nothing to do but watch and wait. *crosses fingers*