too late for Columbia LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbaccer2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had my interview at Columbia last week, but since they're making decisions by March 1, is it too late to send in a Letter of Interest?

Members don't see this ad.

probably...if decisions are released march 1st, they probably start picking the class 2 weeks prior

I just had my interview at Columbia last week, but since they're making decisions by March 1, is it too late to send in a Letter of Interest?

What do you mean by a letter of interest? I interviewed at Columbia last month!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by a letter of interest? I interviewed at Columbia last month!

Oh it's nothing essential. It's basically just a letter saying "please take me." No one's really sure how helpful they are. And I'm guessing in Columbia's case it'd probably help me more if I end up on the waitlist.

I personally don't think LOI mean anything unless your are on the waitlist and you send it after the waitlist is out. I have had multiple ADCOMS confirm this, and one even say that she thought it was a negative because it showed a lack of patience (and therefore, a tad pushy). I am sure its different for each school though.

I personally don't think LOI mean anything unless your are on the waitlist and you send it after the waitlist is out. I have had multiple ADCOMS confirm this, and one even say that she thought it was a negative because it showed a lack of patience (and therefore, a tad pushy). I am sure its different for each school though.

That makes sense. I think I'll wait and see. Besides, what would I do if I wrote a letter now and then got waitlisted? I'd feel pretty silly writing another letter...

I'm probably going to Fedex my letter of INTENT tomorrow so that it arrives Monday morning... or I'll just ride my bike up there and drop it off.

Dean Frantz at Columbia apparently looks favorably on letters of interest/intent (according to the health professions advisor at my university). On top of that, the guys who guided my tour let us all know that Dean Frantz takes "first-choice" letters seriously.

Hmm, interesting. So do you think I should write a letter now as opposed to waiting to see if I'm waitlisted. I think it's very unlikely that I would be accepted off the bat. Does anyone know what would be best in this case?

im pretty sure the LOI is only meaningful once your waitlisted...

Hmm, interesting. So do you think I should write a letter now as opposed to waiting to see if I'm waitlisted. I think it's very unlikely that I would be accepted off the bat. Does anyone know what would be best in this case?

The eagle has landed. I Fedex'd my letter of intent to Dean Frantz yesterday.

I figure... why wait 'til there's a problem before acting on it?

im pretty sure the LOI is only meaningful once your waitlisted...

That may be true in the general case, but I've been told by a few people that Dean Frantz takes them seriously.

I'll let you guys know if it worked in about 3 weeks.

Send it on in. There are still some interviews this week, I believe.

I'm sure they have some of the class picked, but it can't hurt.

for a LOI, would email be ok? I am in JApan and snail mail takes weeks.

Are we supposed to be sending updated transcripts as well, to schools in general? Or should we only do that post-interview or if we get waitlisted?