Top 10 schools for me based on my stats...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grahambranchno9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a Junior (hopefully matriculating Fall '09). I was wondering what schools are realistic for me and a good match. Obviously this is my decision, and I have been doing my research. I'm not completely relying on an internet forum to make my decision, this is simply another form of research.

Stats:

Transfer student
Currently BBA student at top 5 BBA program, top 20 school overall (is this appropriate to put on my app?)
3.7 overall GPA (got a D and F freshman year, would be 3.9 otherwise)
3.93 science GPA
Dean's list all but 1 semester (my first)
Gradaute w/ highest honors
Anticipated 38 MCAT

Varsity soccer 3 years
student council senator at large 1 yr
Service Organization VP 2 yrs
Calc. Tutor (volunteer and paid) 1 yr
ER volunteering (3hrs/week) 2.5 yrs
started nonprofit mentoring high schoolers 2 yrs
Research (hopefully published in good journal) 10hrs/week 2.5 yrs
Shadowing, 3 physicians, 50, 50, 100hrs
Summer internship in finance at Fortune 50 company

At this point in the game (I know, very early) I'm looking at general surgery (trauma? CT?) or perhaps ortho.
I would preferably like to be in a big city for med. school.

Based on my stats/ECs and what I want from a school, what 10 schools would you all reccomend?

Also, how can I find out which schools send what percentage of their students to their top choice residencies? And how can I find out which schools send a high percentage to surgery residencies? How are surgery residencies ranked?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

here is a heads up...you are likely to get flamed here shortly

Members don't see this ad :)
here is a heads up...you are likely to get flamed here shortly

huh....rather than a flame job first message (as anticipated, obviously)...its a warning of future flaming.

It's good to be surprised

sigh...I guess you'll need this, just promise to return it.

flame on!
istockphoto_842320_flame_boy.jpg

Hey all,

I'm a Junior (hopefully matriculating Fall '09). I was wondering what schools are realistic for me and a good match. Obviously this is my decision, and I have been doing my research. I'm not completely relying on an internet forum to make my decision, this is simply another form of research.

Stats:

Transfer student
Currently BBA student at top 5 BBA program, top 20 school overall (is this appropriate to put on my app?)
3.93 science GPA

Anticipated 38 MCAT

Varsity soccer 3 years

At this point in the game (I know, very early) I'm looking at general surgery (trauma? CT?) or perhaps ortho.

Based on my stats/ECs and what I want from a school, what 10 schools would you all reccomend?

Also, how can I find out which schools send what percentage of their students to their top choice residencies? And how can I find out which schools send a high percentage to surgery residencies? How are surgery residencies ranked?

Thanks!

This post is definitely a good reminder to any adcom members out there how formulaic the admissions process seemingly has become...

Anticipated Thread Closing in 10....9....8...

Ok Mr. 40 MCAT....

1. Carribean med school
2. Hogwarts
3. moorehouse

You gotta anticipate at least a 40 to be truly crushed by your 23. Come on now, if you're gonna do something do it right!

Hey all,

Stats:

Transfer student
3.93 science GPA
Anticipated 38 MCAT

Varsity soccer 3 years

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry for being mean about the anticipation of a 38 mcat.

if you have been practicing and are hitting high numbers consistently then a predicted 38 isnt so crazy. remmeber that most people go down a few points on the real thing compared to practice tests.

and to answer your question, no one can give you a top 10 list.

i applied to 16 schools, most top-25, many that give scholarships, many that are in locations that i would love to end up at.

Everytime I read the OP's post... I just can't help but laugh a little, then vomit in my mouth, then hope that I don't end up in the same med school as people like this.

I never understand why people who post these don't just say that they already got a 38 on the MCAT.

Here's an image of every SDNer who is reading this thread....

headache.jpg

If you do actually get a 38 on your MCAT (that you're anticipating which, as my colleagues have and will remind you, is incredibly arrogant), your stats alone would indicate that there's nothing really out of your reach. There is a handy-dandy link floating around here somewhere that you input your (anticipated) MCAT/GPA and it spits out a ranked list of all the schools your'e competitive at if anyone would care to post it. Some match lists are available on the web, others you can obtain from individual schools, but good luck reading them because it's practically worthless if you're not an M4, and it's kind of pointless because there's not a school in the country who doesn't send folks into surgery every year. It's not like certain schools better prepare you to go into field X or Y anyway. You won't find ranked info concerning board scores or the like, although as you can imagine top 25 schools tend to put up better Step numbers than the Caribbean. Surgical residencies are ranked by you, the M4, as you rotate through and decide which circle of hell you would like to spend the next 5-7 years. Again (in general) top US News teaching hospitals have better residencies than the Podunk, Kentucky's of the world, but there are a great many community and private programs up there too, and it varies by specialty. In short, buy an MSAR, do some thread searching right here on good 'ole SDN, and by all means zip up that most graciously offered flame suit.

Here's an image of every SDNer who is reading this thread....

headache.jpg

an SDNer would plug in the laptop (for fear of battery failure mid-posting), wear a bow-tie, have tape keeping his glasses from falling off his face, and have a huge cowlick in his hair. but in general, i htink you may be right...

Hey all,

Stats:

Transfer student
3.93 science GPA
Anticipated 38 MCAT

Varsity soccer 3 years

Thanks!

make_it_stop.jpg

If you do actually get a 38 on your MCAT (that you're anticipating which, as my colleagues have and will remind you, is incredibly arrogant), your stats alone would indicate that there's nothing really out of your reach. There is a handy-dandy link floating around here somewhere that you input your (anticipated) MCAT/GPA and it spits out a ranked list of all the schools your'e competitive at if anyone would care to post it. Some match lists are available on the web, others you can obtain from individual schools, but good luck reading them because it's practically worthless if you're not an M4, and it's kind of pointless because there's not a school in the country who doesn't send folks into surgery every year. It's not like certain schools better prepare you to go into field X or Y anyway. You won't find ranked info concerning board scores or the like, although as you can imagine top 25 schools tend to put up better Step numbers than the Caribbean. Surgical residencies are ranked by you, the M4, as you rotate through and decide which circle of hell you would like to spend the next 5-7 years. Again (in general) top US News teaching hospitals have better residencies than the Podunk, Kentucky's of the world, but there are a great many community and private programs up there too, and it varies by specialty. In short, buy an MSAR, do some thread searching right here on good 'ole SDN, and by all means zip up that most graciously offered flame suit.

Thanks for the helpful reply! I don't think 38 is that unrealistic or arrogant. Based on previous standardized tests and what I've seen of the MCAT material this is what I'm shooting for. How is this so arrogant? It's always good to have concrete, realistic goals. Why is everybody so negative?

I've done quite a bit of research. Actually the idea of asking other, more knowledgeable people about some good fit schools based on anticipated specialty came from one of the 5 med school admission books that I've completely devoured. I have seen that MCAT/GPA calculator thing...how accurate is it?

I suppose my main question was re: picking a school based on a specialty, and you've answered that quite sufficiently. Thank you.

One more thing. If I'm coming from a top ranked school in my area (business) would it be appropriate to include this in the AMCAS (most ADCOMs probably don't keep up to date with the BBA program rankings)?

Thanks!

Don't pick a school based on specialty anticipation.

Don't tell people that you anticipate a 38 on the MCAT unless you want to get flamed. I anticpated a 45. It didn't happen.

Thanks for the helpful reply! I don't think 38 is that unrealistic or arrogant. Based on previous standardized tests and what I've seen of the MCAT material this is what I'm shooting for. How is this so arrogant? It's always good to have concrete, realistic goals. Why is everybody so negative?

A 38 isn't unrealistic, but it IS arrogant to say that you anticipate getting it. Especially to this forum or anyone else really...did you stop to realize that a 38 puts you in the 98-99th percentile of MCAT test takers?

I don't care if you got a 2400 SAT or 36 ACT. Each standardized test is different. If you search SDN, you can find threads that have compared SAT/ACT scores to MCAT scores and you will see that there's no correlation among these standardized tests.

IN MOST CASES, a 38 isn't something you can simply study and prepare for. A 38 just happens to those few on test day.

I've done quite a bit of research. Actually the idea of asking other, more knowledgeable people about some good fit schools based on anticipated specialty came from one of the 5 med school admission books that I've completely devoured. I have seen that MCAT/GPA calculator thing...how accurate is it?

I suppose my main question was re: picking a school based on a specialty, and you've answered that quite sufficiently. Thank you.

One more thing. If I'm coming from a top ranked school in my area (business) would it be appropriate to include this in the AMCAS (most ADCOMs probably don't keep up to date with the BBA program rankings)?

Thanks!

38 MCAT is too realistic. I think you should aim for 20 on every section of MCAT and Z on the writing section. And your GPA seems a little bit low so I suggest you take more classes to raise your GPA up such as molecular and cellular biophysical chemistry.

IN MOST CASES, a 38 isn't something you can simply study and prepare for. A 38 just happens to those few on test day.

:thumbup: Agreed. Exceeding 12 on multiple sections is a result of a statistical anomaly, especially verbal. I think that they used to report verbal as 13-15 for that reason.

The reason why a 38 is an unrealistic goal (most of the time, and for most of the students) is because at scores at around 35-36 and above, the difference of a few points in the MCAT is extremely thin. That is, getting one question wrong at that high of a score can drop you a point, and getting two or three questions wrong can drop you two or three. Sometimes this just may be accounted to luck. Sometimes not. To anticipate such a high score is thus unrealistic, although you may very well get it- even folks who get ridiculously high scores didnt anticipate it.

because you haven't even taken an MCAT practice test. it is unrealistic to even have a goal without having taken a practice test. there's people who score 1600s on the SAT that don't do well on the MCAT. nothing against having high goals, but you need to know where you stand before claiming that you are going to do well. the application process should be done in steps...if you haven't got any realistic way to know what your mcat score is going to be, then any attempt to make a list of the 10 schools that you are going to apply to is an exercise in mental masturbation.

I'll bet attendings have the most fun pimping guys like the OP.

hey man, I think all of us are shooting for a 38 on the MCAT, and there's nothing wrong with that. But don't assume anything. There's too many variables.

Why is everybody so negative?

Because you haven't even taken a practice test and you're already "anticipating" your score based on what, SAT, ACT? :rolleyes:

I have seen that MCAT/GPA calculator thing...how accurate is it?

Not accurate at all. People will get in to Harvard/Hopkins with 29 and 3.5 while other candidates with 40+ MCATs and great GPA's will get in nowhere. A good MCAT/GPA won't disqualify you, but they're not going to get you in.

If I'm coming from a top ranked school in my area (business) would it be appropriate to include this in the AMCAS (most ADCOMs probably don't keep up to date with the BBA program rankings)?

No. Nobody cares. I've never even heard of a BBA (is that like a no options MBA? :rolleyes: ).

You seem to be fishing for compliments.

because you haven't even taken an MCAT practice test. it is unrealistic to even have a goal without having taken a practice test. there's people who score 1600s on the SAT that don't do well on the MCAT. nothing against having high goals, but you need to know where you stand before claiming that you are going to do well. the application process should be done in steps...if you haven't got any realistic way to know what your mcat score is going to be, then any attempt to make a list of the 10 schools that you are going to apply to is an exercise in mental masturbation.

There's the key right there.

If you're planning on having your MCAT scores back before you submit your AMCAS then trying to pick schools right now is completely pointless. Get your scores back THEN come ask for advice.

Thanks!

It's not arrogant to shoot for a 38, it's arrogant to POST that you're shooting for a 38. It's like if I walked into pharm class one day (I'm an M2) and was like, "Hey everybody I think I've decided to shoot for being the bestest neurosurgeon I can possibly be!" Kind of rubs people the wrong way, especially considering there are probably hundreds of people on this board who are still waiting on an acceptance, just one. Some of them have been working at getting into medical school for years, have gone through thousands of dollars and all kinds of hardship. Just in bad taste and kind of corny considering the audience, that's all.

I guess you could mention the top-20 business school thing in passing on your ps or during interviews ("having excelled at one of the top business schools in the country I know all about hard work" or something equally worthy of a PandaBear rewrite). This has been discussed on here ad nauseum, but adcomms don't give the weight that many of us believe is deserved of tougher coursework or a more competitive undergrad. A mech engineer from Carnegie with a 3.7 might get the same treatment as a 3.9 psych major from LSU, but that's about as far as it goes. But my advice is to let your numbers speak for themselves, don't go puffing yourself up top-20 this and top-10 that. Whoever's reading your app is a physician or Ph.D who will be not so much impressable with business school stats, and it will undoubtedly turn some people off.

The OP is clearly a lock for Harvard or UCSF. If I were him/her, I'd only apply to those two schools, and then sort out which offer to take after I saw the scholarship offers.

I'd throw in Hogwarts as a safety school. I hear that they respect you there for being able to see the future. :laugh:

because you haven't even taken an MCAT practice test. it is unrealistic to even have a goal without having taken a practice test.

Who's to say I haven't taken a practice test?

the application process should be done in steps...if you haven't got any realistic way to know what your mcat score is going to be, then any attempt to make a list of the 10 schools that you are going to apply to is an exercise in mental masturbation.

I completely agree that the aplication process should be done in steps. However, one of these steps is to take the recommended coursework. Being a business major, I was just planning on taking the pre-med essentials.

When asked by one of my mentors where I wanted to go, I said that I had no idea and would obviously need to see my final GPA and MCAT score to determine this. He said that I should have my list of schools ready so I know what courses to take (as some schools require biochem. and other classes not really thought of as pre-med essientials). Additionally, having some goal schools will propel me to do the best I can. For example, if I REALLY want to go to school with an average GPA/MCAT of 3.8/36 then I'm obviously going to end up with a better GPA and MCAT than if I would have just avoided thinking about where I'm going to end up and dismissed it as "mental masturbation." Concrete goals and forward thinking have been shown time and time again in studies to produce higher performance.

It's not as if I have no control over my GPA and MCAT score. Past a certain point it may be due more to statistics and "luck," but I have a hard time thinking that the better prepared MCAT taker would do worse than someone less prepared due to luck. Knowing my goals will help to focus harder on studying, both in school and for the MCAT.

I admit the line "Anticipated 38 MCAT" could be taken as a little presumptuous, but this was not at all my intention. In no way was I "fishing for compliments." The point of this thread was to learn about choosing schools based on residencies. Contrary to what I read in one of my med. school books, I've learned that this shouldn't really be done. The value of this forum vs. other methods of medical school preparation has again been proven.

Again, I thank you all for your help. And your flaming!

man, i knew they revamped the mcat, but I didn't know they let you choose your score now. that's pretty cool.

Good post. I'd also like to add one more fact of matter.

You can have a 38 or a 43 for that matter and a 4.0 GPA. Do you really believe that those two things alone will guarantee you a spot with the best and brightest out there? I.E. people who go to HMS and Hopkins and others among the most selective of schools much less state schools?? Different schools look for different things. Sure if you have those ECs it will make you stand out but it won't guarantee you anything. The process is subjective and its hard to completely predict where you will and won't get in.

Also, how do you know you'll get published???????

I can't believe people didn't pick up on that one.

man, i knew they revamped the mcat, but I didn't know they let you choose your score now. that's pretty cool.

:laugh:

OP et al. I don't think shooting for a 38 is arrogant or unrealistic- people get that score. The way you said it wasn't arrogant. It was just stupid- but immensely funny. No offense.

As for realistic expectations, I think its just as stupid to shoot for a 28. You don't take a test to get half the questions wrong. You take it to get all the questions right. Duh.

Who's to say I haven't taken a practice test?

maybe because you said this:

Based on previous standardized tests and what I've seen of the MCAT material this is what I'm shooting for.

Additionally, having some goal schools will propel me to do the best I can. For example, if I REALLY want to go to school with an average GPA/MCAT of 3.8/36 then I'm obviously going to end up with a better GPA and MCAT than if I would have just avoided thinking about where I'm going to end up and dismissed it as "mental masturbation." Concrete goals and forward thinking have been shown time and time again in studies to produce higher performance.

no **** dude, I think we all would agree that we want to do our best gpa and mcat-wise. it is obvious that you have to get the best score possible on the mcat if you want to goto a top 10 school. until you get that score, or have a very good idea of what your score is going to be, then trying to make a list of schools is really not beneficial in any way. I've had friends that dreamed about going to UCSF and such schools before taking an MCAT practice test, maybe that helped them to do better, but these people are struggling to get in (one already got rejected by every school she applied to this year:( ).

It's not as if I have no control over my GPA and MCAT score. Past a certain point it may be due more to statistics and "luck," but I have a hard time thinking that the better prepared MCAT taker would do worse than someone less prepared due to luck. Knowing my goals will help to focus harder on studying, both in school and for the MCAT.

as most people who have taken the MCAT can attest, there comes a point where you don't have control over your score. I would have loved to have broken 40, but there was no way that was going to happen. There is an upper-limit, no matter how much you study. The reason we say you are arrogant is that a 38 is way above that upper limit for a huge majority of those who take the MCAT.

The point of this thread was to learn about choosing schools based on residencies. Contrary to what I read in one of my med. school books, I've learned that this shouldn't really be done. The value of this forum vs. other methods of medical school preparation has again been proven.

you are right about that, your med school can only help you to an extent when residency app time comes.

It's not arrogant to shoot for a 38, it's arrogant to POST that you're shooting for a 38. It's like if I walked into pharm class one day (I'm an M2) and was like, "Hey everybody I think I've decided to shoot for being the bestest neurosurgeon I can possibly be!" Kind of rubs people the wrong way

It's not arrogant to post what you're shooting for. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying "I want a 35+ on the MCAT" (I put 35 because that's right around the 95th percentile). However, I do think it demonstrates a lot of hubris to anticipate a score of that magnitude without having taken a practice test.

The whole phenomenon of keeping your aspirations a secret in medical schools makes me sick. Why do med students demonize their classmates if they let it be known early on that they want to go into a super-competitive specialty? I don't think there is anything wrong with someone saying they want to be the best neurosurgeon, etc. I think it's natural and healthy to have high goals. Also, there's nothing wrong with sharing them. However, it is a problem if the person wants to succeed at his colleagues expense...

People wouldn't get offended if their classmate said "I want to be the bestest pediatrician" because they wouldn't feel threatened by that.

:thumbup: Agreed. Exceeding 12 on multiple sections is a result of a statistical anomaly, especially verbal. I think that they used to report verbal as 13-15 for that reason.

I'm not sure it's an anomaly, because at least 780 people last year scored a 39+. However, you may need a little luck to get a test form that matches your strengths.

It's not arrogant to post what you're shooting for. I don't think they're anything wrong with saying "I want a 35+ on the MCAT" (I put 35 because that's right around the 95th percentile). However, I do think it demonstrates a lot of hubris to anticipate a score of that magnitude without having taken a practice test.

The whole phenomenon of keeping your aspirations a secret in medical schools makes me sick. Why do med students demonize their classmates if they let it be known early on that they want to go into a super-competitive specialty? I don't think there is anything wrong with someone saying they want to be the best neurosurgeon, etc. I think it's natural and healthy to have high goals. Also, there's nothing wrong with sharing them. However, it is a problem if the person wants to succeed at his colleagues expense...

People wouldn't get offended if their classmate said "I want to be the bestest pediatrician" because they wouldn't feel threatened by that.

I'm not sure it's an anomaly, because at least 780 people last year scored a 39+. However, you may need a little luck to get a test form that matches your strengths.

Wow you interviewed at USF as an out of stater?? That's cool. Where is your top choice as of now??

Thanks!

It's arrogant simply because you think that a 98-99th percentile is just as easy on the MCAT as it is on the other namby-pamby standardized tests you taken. :p It's a wildly different test and the people taking it(e.g. the sample that is used to scale the exam) is more above average than you're average high school student. Plus, if you haven't taken a practice test, you just can't tell how you'll stack up.

Again, I thank you all for your help. And your flaming!

you're doing a BBA, is that in Schulich in York Univeristy? if you are, then despite it being ranked high, many places have never heard of it.

That said, it doesn't mean that you can't into top notch places. Also, regardig the MCAT, anything can happen on game day. Trust me and all the people on the board.

Aiming for a 38 is good, anticipating it is stupid.

Anticipate a 30-32 and have safety net options, schools where you know you can be competitive with that score. And obviously apply to the top schools hoping you manage to get a 38.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst is what I say.

until you get that score, or have a very good idea of what your score is going to be, then trying to make a list of schools is really not beneficial in any way.

I disagree, for reasons already posted.

1) Knowing what classes you should be taking.
2) For motivational reasons. As you said:

it is obvious that you have to get the best score possible on the mcat if you want to goto a top 10 school.

And there IS a difference between "just doing your best" and doing your best with a specific goal in mind. It's a fact that having emotional, specific, tangible goals is ALWAYS superior to "just doing your best."

In fact, you're lying to yourself if say you don't have the end in mind and are just doing your best. You said yourself that you must have the best possible score to get into a top ten school. Why not make this more specific and have some ACTUAL good-fit schools in mind as motivation?

Thanks

you're doing a BBA, is that in Schulich in York Univeristy? if you are, then despite it being ranked high, many places have never heard of it.

BBA simply means Bachelors of Business Administration, and is offered at most univeristies.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst is what I say.

I completely agree with you on this.

Thanks

What exactly do you want from a school? Besides big city and trauma exposure (which are pretty generic and there are many schools that fit this criteria)

We should create the OP a list of 10 schools not to apply to. It will be comprised of the first 10 people that PM me with the school they are attending. :laugh:

It's just bad taste to strut. You (not you personally but you know, in the general sense) don't have to slather your car up with caduces stickers and MD vanity plates once you get your accepted, or wear your short white coat emblazoned with "Dr. Tic, future neurosurgeon" (do a thread search in allo for gunner advice or something like that) on the first day of class. When you're in medical school, on your way to becoming a neurosurgeon or pediatrician or whatever floats your boat, you don't have to walk around telling everybody how great you are when about a fourth of the class is doing the best they can but constantly in danger of failing any given course. If you feel the need to do this, chances are you are in fact a soulless gunner and you deserve all the crucifying you can stand and then some.

And of course you're going to be the best whatever, it goes without saying. I know plenty of my classmates' aspirations; they don't keep them a secret, but they don't go around with a bullhorn either. Likewise on this board, the perception is the poster who starts a thread touting his or her obvioiusly lofty credentials asking "Defer acceptances to HMS/Stanford and take Fulbright scholarship?" is either a troll looking for attention, some jerkoff looking for a little oh-so-lame anonymous chatroom ego stroking, or a genuine newbie (as appears to be the case here, which is why I tried to give helpful advice).

Back to the OP, you don't need to cover all the bases with the classes you take right this second. Your mentor was right that you can't wait until your numbers are all in before you get a feel for the process, but you can't very well make a hard list either. So go ahead and take biochem, it'll help a little in first year even if it's not a prereq at the school you happen to choose. Some schools require Spanish, calculus, or statistics, but you can always take those spring of senior year after you've gotten that acceptance. Remember, you don't have to have all your prereqs done before you apply, just before matriculation.