Top 5 DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Anonymouss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's hard to find a good ranking of DO schools unlike MD schools. I am curious to know what everyone would rank the top 5 DO schools in terms of prestige, MCAT/GPA, residency match rate, and specialty choice.

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't going to be something easily answered. I think the state uni DO schools are going to have advantages that some of the other schools don't have. They are also going to prefer IS applicants.
Most DO schools are private and will not have a huge regional bias, these can be a little easier to compare although much will be dependant on what is important in a school for you.
Region, Attendance, cirriculum, 3/4 yr clinical sites etc etc

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to find a good ranking of DO schools unlike MD schools. I am curious to know what everyone would rank the top 5 DO schools in terms of prestige, MCAT/GPA, residency match rate, and specialty choice.
Prestige is regional (and still not a big factor in the DO world), but in terms of the rest its pretty much the original ones (CCOM, DMU, KCU, etc) and RVU has made a good name for itself. But for the vast majority of people it really won't matter. You'll have a chance at your specialty of choice unless its a crazy competitive one or you're trying to go to a top residency in the given field

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask ten people, you're going to get 11 different answers.

At the minimum, floating around this forum is a list of the different schools' first time COMLEX pass rates.

Reactions: 6 users
in terms of boards I know DMU averaged a 600 on COMLEX and a 232 on USMLE last year

From what I’ve heard from @Goro, these are the top 5 DO schools:

1. LUCOM
2. WCUCOM
3. Touro-Harlem
4. Nova
5. ICOM

• Haha
Reactions: 62 users
Gotta throw PCOM somewhere in that top 5 in my opinion. It’s one of the most established programs and is in a city that’s filled with MD programs but still manages great matches and rotations. Then again, I’m super biased!

Reactions: 1 users
1- KCU
2- Des Moines
3- PCOM (Philly)
4- CCOM
5- UNE/NYIT

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t LECOM consistently have the highest COMLEX pass rate in the country? High match too, right?

I don't have a full list, but I always thought it was KCU, MSU, UNECOM in the top.

No list (even if that was a thing in the DO world) should have KCU at the top. And UNECOM? Wut?

There is only a rough outline and it generally goes: State schools/PCOM > the oldest most established > RVU/LECOM type schools >>> LMU/KYCOM types>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any new school.

Reactions: 2 users
Why. Is. This. Started. Over. And. Over. Every. Year.

MSUCOM, CCOM, PCOM-PA without a question

That’s the problem... I do have a question. Where is OK-State, TCOM, or OHU? Also, I’m confused on everyone’s affinity for CCOM! Their COA is disturbing and they should be matching their students into amazing programs with their location and history!

We should lock these threads once they’re posted because nothing good comes from them...

That’s the problem... I do have a question. Where is OK-State, TCOM, or OHU? Also, I’m confused on everyone’s affinity for CCOM! Their COA is disturbing and they should be matching their students into amazing programs with their location and history!

We should lock these threads once they’re posted because nothing good comes from them...

I think it is good to hear what people's opinions are. At the end of the day, it is an opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but the open discussion is a good thing.

CCOM is extremely overrated and their price tag is outrageous. The state schools simply have more resources and are easily the most MD-like of the DO schools. I’ve had 5+ residents in our various programs tell me about how we have so much more opportunity than they had, and they come from schools like KCU, DMU, etc.

Reactions: 4 users

Big city hospital 3rd year rotations, some of the first established schools, and the most research intensive DO schools...
COA is a mute point when speaking on school quality mate.

They are all osteopathic schools. You ain't impressing anyone or gaining any great prestige. Once you get over that, you'll be able to choose the school where you will be happiest rather than a name

That said, MSU probably has the best name due to being a well known public school

For DO schools, clinical rotations can vary widely and IMO are a good way to evaluate a school. To my knowledge all state DO schools are attached to hospital systems and thus offer good clinical rotation opportunities.

Then there are schools like PCOM which lack a flagship hospital but have several solid affiliations in their area through which they share rotation sites with the other local MD programs.

Then there are DO programs that have clinical rotations but theres a good chance you'll have to move across the country to do them and figure out your whole housing, etc.

Do your homework before applying.. when I applied DO I was stunned to learn how greatly clinical rotations potentially differed from school to school. I would have saved money on apps had I been more informed going in.

Big city hospital 3rd year rotations, some of the first established schools, and the most research intensive DO schools...
COA is a mute point when speaking on school quality mate.

CCOM is greatly overrated mate. All the state schools/PCOM have equally good rotations, COA is cheaper (yes even at MSU OOS because they knock it down to about 65k for almost all OOS students) and I’ll put my school’s research up against any other DO school. I already have pubs in journals that make my MD friends jealous.

My pick for top 5 would be:
- MSUCOM
- UNTHSC/TCOM
- DMUCOM
- PCOM
- CCOM

In no particular order.

I was honestly surprised by how many of my classmates and how many opportunities DMU has. Theres a small research department attached to the school, that does mentored programs and such that has a guranteed poster at minimum for a semester, and with being the only medical school in Des Moines, clinical research done here usually comes to us as students

The reality is there's just DO schools whenever it comes to residency. No tiers/ranking, no prestige, no nothing. Just choose the school that is cheaper, has great rotations and matches, has affiliated residencies, offers possibilities for research, has less time dedicated to OMM, with preferably no mandatory attendance or dress code. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
The reality is there's just DO schools whenever it comes to residency. No tiers/ranking, no prestige, no nothing. Just choose the school that is cheaper, has great rotations and matches, has affiliated residencies, offers possibilities for research, has less time dedicated to OMM, with preferably no mandatory attendance or dress code. Good luck.

I think we’re starting to move the direction of “prestige” as more and more DO schools start having dedicated clinical, biomedical, and manipulation research on-campus by their faculty, staff, and students, with the schools already involved in that beginning to lead the pack already in terms of overall matching, average USMLE/COMLEX, and other objective metrics.

Also, it might be worth the extra penny to:
1) go to a suburban or urban school instead of a rural one
2) go to a school with a) prescheduled, structures rotations at b) a dedicated teaching hospital that has an affiliation with the school

I think we’re starting to move the direction of “prestige” as more and more DO schools start having dedicated clinical, biomedical, and manipulation research on-campus by their faculty, staff, and students, with the schools already involved in that beginning to lead the pack already in terms of overall matching, average USMLE/COMLEX, and other objective metrics.

Also, it might be worth the extra penny to:
1) go to a suburban or urban school instead of a rural one
2) go to a school with a) prescheduled, structures rotations at b) a dedicated teaching hospital that has an affiliation with the school

This. A DO is a DO in the match but some DO schools simply have more resources available to their students, which can make building a competitive residency application a little easier.

Reactions: 12 users
No list (even if that was a thing in the DO world) should have KCU at the top. And UNECOM? Wut?

There is only a rough outline and it generally goes: State schools/PCOM > the oldest most established > RVU/LECOM type schools >>> LMU/KYCOM types>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any new school.
This is easily the most informative breakdown of the DO tiers imo. If we comprised a list of all schools into tiers it may be helpful to some students. I was super confused trying to build a DO list initially and still don’t know all of the schools pros and cons.

People who say DO is DO so it doesn’t matter are only right in a small sense. The quality of education and research as well as 3/4 year clinical sites varies by school and does matter to applicants.

Also who really cares about 99% versus 100% Comlex pass rates over 6 years? As long as Comlex pass is high that’s enough and Comlex averages and more importantly USMLE averages should be considered.

I go to a school with mandatory dress code and attendance... I go to class 30% of the time and dress relatively casual. I do hate OMM though - time killer.

State schools are at the top of the ant hill of prestige involved with the DO degree. Not bc anyone falls all over the name by any means, but bc they have CV building stuff available more easily than the private schools. It’s rather pointless for anyone outside of that state though as you basically need MD stats if you’re OOS.

The “old 5” are supposedly better than other private DO schools, but I doubt it’s in a really meaningful way, but I’ve only attended my private school, not anyone else’s. Considering tuition and 3rd year clinical sites, LECOM (Erie/sh) is probably the best private school.

State schools are at the top of the ant hill of prestige involved with the DO degree. Not bc anyone falls all over the name by any means, but bc they have CV building stuff available more easily than the private schools. It’s rather pointless for anyone outside of that state though as you basically need MD stats if you’re OOS.

The “old 5” are supposedly better than other private DO schools, but I doubt it’s in a really meaningful way, but I’ve only attended my private school, not anyone else’s. Considering tuition and 3rd year clinical sites, LECOM (Erie/sh) is probably the best private school.
eh depends on what you're goin for. If you're from the midwest, DMU/KCU are decently well known in the areas and they have some solid partnerships. No school is perfect by any means but I'll take any established school over some of the newer ones in a heartbeat...some people knowing the name is better than nobody hearing of PCOM-GA or whatever (I just picked that one cuz the name is absurd, along with NY-Arkansas)

The 5 that accept you...

Reactions: 12 users
I didn’t know @Goro didn’t like ICOM? Aside from being new what is so bad about them? Dean Hasty has a reputation for being a rockstar!
It's too new, hence my caution.

EDIT, I have high opinions of:

AZCOM
CCOM
DMU
KCOM
KCU
MUCOM
NYITCOM
PCOM
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
OHCOM
TCOM
VCOM
Western (both)
My own school

Reactions: 6 users
It's too new, hence my caution.

EDIT, I have high opinions of:

AZCOM
CCOM
DMU
KCOM
KCU
MUCOM
NYITCOM
PCOM
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
OHCOM
TCOM
VCOM
Western (both)
My own school

that's a good list that covers almost every region, except the south. For YOUR top 5, pick your region you desire the most --> then select schools from Goro's list that's in your region. For DO schools there is no national top 5. DO is all about region.

I don't know much about DO schools (rank 110), but according to the residency director ratings, Ohio University (Heritage) was rated highest. Curious as to why no one listed in the top 5.

Note: If anyone knows how to collapse the giant link below plz let me know

Reactions: 2 users
LUCOM has nice stuff, affiliations with a subpar hospital system (Centra), no real reputation being new, and bad policies.

Despite rankings of DO schools being bulls**t, I am surprised that more people haven't mentioned KCOM...

Despite rankings of DO schools being bulls**t, I am surprised that more people haven't mentioned KCOM...
Ranking DOs by tier is very possible and useful. Why keep chiming in with sarcasm?
KCOM is good but what sets it apart from other schools?

Ranking DOs by tier is very possible and useful. Why keep chiming in with sarcasm?
KCOM is good but what sets it apart from other schools?

Exactly, MD schools do it so why shouldn't DO schools do it... It allows a school to build its resources by recruiting the most qualified candidates. DO schools can begin to obtain research grants in the same manner that MDs do.

I'm not sure about any rankings and trust that there are great schools with great reputations (you all know much more than I) but I interviewed at a couple of schools so far and I will say that just based off atmosphere and facilities ARCOM blew AZCOM out of the water. I am not saying that AZCOM is not better than ARCOM but I do think that this shows that it is hard to rank on "prestige" or factors like that cause things are changing in massive ways because of how young osteopathy is compared to allopathy.