Top 5 DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you go to DO school.. Getting a residency is on YOU not the school. Step matters, not the school (unless its a brand new school)
To add a shade of grey to these accurate comments, PDs that know your school and its grads make it easier for you to match with them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I love these threads because everytime (literally evertime), in this tread that comes up multiple times per year (yep use the search fxn folks); lists will come up and someone will alway say “BUT WHAT ABOUT KCOM?!?!?”

Reactions: 2 users
I love these threads because everytime (literally evertime), in this tread that comes up multiple times per year (yep use the search fxn folks); lists will come up and someone will alway say “BUT WHAT ABOUT KCOM?!?!?”

Frankly I always forget that KCOM even exists :laugh: but yes KCOM is a solid school and on the same level as KCU, DMU, etc. IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

Frankly I always forget that KCOM even exists :laugh: but yes KCOM is a solid school and on the same level as KCU, DMU, etc. IMO.
KCOM was high on my list until they emailed me and said if I complete 20 hours of primary care shadowing then I can schedule my II.

Reactions: 3 users
KCOM was high on my list until they emailed me and said if I complete 20 hours of primary care shadowing then I can schedule my II.
I was accepted there last year with no primary care shadowing (unless cardiology counts as PC). I was in-state though that might have had something to do with it. I hated the rural atmosphere of the school and felt that I wouldn't be able to succeed there. Ended up not accepting their offer to attend a much cheaper but much MUCH less established school (with decent rotation sites though). I hope this wasn't a mistake on my part (many people wouldn't have done what I did, but I did it anyway and now have to live with it :shrug:). we'll see what happens in the next few years.

Last edited:
I was accepted there last year with no primary care shadowing (unless cardiology counts as PC). I was in-state though that might have had something to do with it. I hated the rural atmosphere of the school and felt that I wouldn't be able to succeed there. Ended up not accepting their offer to attend a much cheaper but much MUCH less established school (with decent rotation sites though). I hope this wasn't a mistake on my part (many people wouldn't have done what I did, but I did it anyway and now have to live with it :shrug:). we'll see what happens in the next few years.
I know you’re a first year so the clinal years are yet to come but has anything made you doubt your decision thus far???

I know you’re a first year so the clinal years are yet to come but has anything made you doubt your decision thus far???
So far I haven't regretted it yet seeing how my school has been moving in the right direction. Most DO schools lack any opportunities for research, and due to my school emphasis on it, I've already set up research in the specialty I'm interested in for the summer. Also my school shows commitment to open new residency programs with 2 or 3 already up an running and others seeking accreditation. On top of that the only in-state MD school and their residency programs (which would accept many IMGs in the past) show interest to work with our school graduates. So I've seen a lot more positives than negatives so far. But then, there are still the unknowns surrounding both the merger and the school, so there's that. I'm confident the school will be decent though going forward.

Last edited:
Doing a late night read at work, and just going to BUMP this thread because there is some really good information and this time of year I am sure a new thread regarding a ranking of DO schools is bound to start.

Im surprised I havent seen Rowan mentioned at all!

Im surprised I havent seen Rowan mentioned at all!
Every year haha Never is mentioned. Why? I dont know. When it used to be UMDNJ it was a much better school. But its one of the few state DO schools with an MD program and a DO program and it has more NIH funding than the majority of DO schools. Our avg step 1 is kind of trash though (225) and our match lists are usually eh if you compare us to chicago or KCU

Oh this thread is back again?

giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Every year haha Never is mentioned. Why? I dont know. When it used to be UMDNJ it was a much better school. But its one of the few state DO schools with an MD program and a DO program and it has more NIH funding than the majority of DO schools. Our avg step 1 is kind of trash though (225) and our match lists are usually eh if you compare us to chicago or KCU

You guys also having your own residencies and Inspira as an affiliate is pretty clutch too.

you can't rank them! This may surprise you, but, tHe QuALiTy iS aLl tHe sAmE!

original DO schools = new DO schools = MD :rolleyes:

• Haha
Oh okay, good

It's a fact some schools have more access to resources than others. To deny this is asinine.

This year alone there have been 40 medical student publications at my school. Do you really believe that is possible at ANY of the new DO schools? We have double digit students walking around with 5+ publications in elite journals, many of them with multiple first author publications. This isn't even getting into the clinical education at the more rural and new schools, where the only rotation with residents is an FM rotation in the middle of nowhere...

But yeah, they are all the same. :rolleyes:

It's a fact some schools have more access to resources than others. To deny this is asinine.

This year alone there have been 40 medical student publications at my school. Do you really believe that is possible at ANY of the new DO schools? We have double digit students walking around with 5+ publications in elite journals, many of them with multiple first author publications. This isn't even getting into the clinical education at the more rural and new schools, where the only rotation with residents is an FM rotation in the middle of nowhere...

noice

thats sick bro. what school

you can't rank them! This may surprise you, but, tHe QuALiTy iS aLl tHe sAmE!

original DO schools = new DO schools = MD = Caribbean MD = Pharmacy School :rolleyes:

FTFY

That’s the problem... I do have a question. Where is OK-State, TCOM, or OHU? Also, I’m confused on everyone’s affinity for CCOM! Their COA is disturbing and they should be matching their students into amazing programs with their location and history!

We should lock these threads once they’re posted because nothing good comes from them...

And yet most everyone says looking at match lists is a bad way to determine which school to attend. I’m confused. :confused:

But then others say the school you attend determines your match.

And yet most everyone says looking at match lists is a bad way to determine which school to attend. I’m confused. :confused:

You can look at trends. And it’s not about matches, it’s about resources.

Match lists are very variable. Nobody seems to take into account the individual preferences of that particular class.

What school you attend does matter. As Grey said, the resources available is a big thing.

Maybe the state funded DO schools have “resources”, but I’m at one of the old 5 and I don’t think I have too many resources.

From what I have seen, the DO schools that are usually known to be top tier are:
NYITCOM
PCOM
Midwestern (CCOM & AZCOM)
TCOM
DMU
RowanSOM
UNECOM
These are also the places that I will be applying too :) (Except TCOM because I heard Texas schools don't like NY residents :/ lmao)

From what I have seen, the DO schools that are usually known to be top tier are:
NYITCOM
PCOM
Midwestern (CCOM & AZCOM)
TCOM
DMU
RowanSOM
UNECOM
These are also the places that I will be applying too :) (Except TCOM because I heard Texas schools don't like NY residents :/ lmao)
You're missing MSU, KCU, OSU, OU, RVU.

Edit: why do people still wanna attend CCOM and AZCOM with their outrageous cost of attendance? Which is about $100,000 or more higher than most schools.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
You can look at trends. And it’s not about matches, it’s about resources.

For resources I should look for

Quality of clinical rotations
Research opportunities preferably clinical
Amount of elective rotations for auditions
Dedicated board prep time

Is there anything I’m missing? What do you mean by resources?

As a 4th year right now on the interview trail for residency, I would agree with many people that resource is the most important quality that you should look for. And the most important resource that you should look for it the quality and availability of clinical rotations. The first 2 years of med school, really, can be done anywhere. I did very well for my written boards both USMLE and COMLEX and I only attended mandatory classes. The rest of the time I just watched recorded lectures. It is the 3rd and 4th year that will make or break you.

So, I would advise you to go to schools with strong state support and, if possible, have attached statewide campus system. WVSOM, NYIT and MSUCOM came to mind immediately. NYIT and MSUCOM even have the long track record of history to back it up. So I would say that they are very good.

The DO schools are so unfortunate in terms of clinical rotations. Many of my friends that attend the newer schools were shifted around so much for their 3rd year that it was almost as if they attended one of the lower-ranked Caribbean schools instead of stateside! Someone I know even told me that he did not even have any experience with internal medicine inpatient by the end of his 3rd year and that is just plainly wrong. You learned so much medicine on the floor!That is also one of the reasons we as present students really hate the AOA right now for accrediting so many schools without care!

Lastly, as another piece of advise to people, it is really misleading to look at match list as it doesn't say much. It is more or less depending on the personality of the class. The Class 2019 at my school went all out for surgery and most of them were happy with what they got. For me personally, you could never pay me enough to stay in OR even as a gas!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
LMU DCOM prob one of the worst five. Just throwing that out there it’s down there with William Carey, Liberty, and Pikeville

Last edited:
LMU DCOM prob one of the worst five. Just throwing that out there it’s down there with William Carey, Liberty, and WV

I actually would be willing to consider WV as being a solid school. The other three, I agree, probably shouldn’t exist.

I actually would be willing to consider WV as being a solid school. The other three, I agree, probably shouldn’t exist.
It may have gotten better Over past few years. I’ll retract that one

As a 4th year right now on the interview trail for residency, I would agree with many people that resource is the most important quality that you should look for. And the most important resource that you should look for it the quality and availability of clinical rotations. The first 2 years of med school, really, can be done anywhere. I did very well for my written boards both USMLE and COMLEX and I only attended mandatory classes. The rest of the time I just watched recorded lectures. It is the 3rd and 4th year that will make or break you.

So, I would advise you to go to schools with strong state support and, if possible, have attached statewide campus system. WVSOM, NYIT and MSUCOM came to mind immediately. NYIT and MSUCOM even have the long track record of history to back it up. So I would say that they are very good.

The DO schools are so unfortunate in terms of clinical rotations. Many of my friends that attend the newer schools were shifted around so much for their 3rd year that it was almost as if they attended one of the lower-ranked Caribbean schools instead of stateside! Someone I know even told me that he did not even have any experience with internal medicine inpatient by the end of his 3rd year and that is just plainly wrong. You learned so much medicine on the floor!That is also one of the reasons we as present students really hate the AOA right now for accrediting so many schools without care!

Lastly, as another piece of advise to people, it is really misleading to look at match list as it doesn't say much. It is more or less depending on the personality of the class. The Class 2019 at my school went all out for surgery and most of them were happy with what they got. For me personally, you could never pay me enough to stay in OR even as a gas!

I had a rotation with an NYIT MS4 who’s first inpatient rotation was his fourth year... ive heard better things about that school so that surprised me.

I had a rotation with an NYIT MS4 who’s first inpatient rotation was his fourth year... ive heard better things about that school so that surprised me.
NYIT in NY or AR. There's a huge difference between the 2.

You're missing MSU, KCU, OSU, OU, RVU.

Edit: why do people still wanna attend CCOM and AZCOM with their outrageous cost of attendance? Which is about $100,000 or more higher than most schools.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile
Either the only place they were accepted (like me) or geographically convenient (with potential nice parental financial aid). It also has good resources, so I'd you choose between that and LMU let's say, there's a chance that you won't get into your desired residency that you could've with azcom, which by itself easily justifies the half a year of salary

TBH, I am not as surprised. There are just so much competition for rotation spots in the northeast from the Caribbean that these can be part of the fallout, unfortunately. As well, the massive expansion from both MD and DO schools everywhere under the sun certainly is not helping.

Cusom I can see getting there after another decade or so

So I know oldest school by no means equals “best school.” Where would one out KCOM in a ranking? Top 10? They seemed to have nice facilities and great staff. The rotation sites also seemed adequate and the board scores were nice as well. I just don’t see ATSU talked about on here a lot, so just wanted to cast a net and see what others seem to think.