Top 5 DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was planning on doing research elsewhere to get those publications. For example, I've been doing research remotely this year and have 3 derm pubs + 1 non-derm pub already and am working on more. I think I can be the top 1-2 students at my DO school b/c I was consistently in the top ~15% of the M1 class at a top 50 MD program (SMP).

And even though its only 75%, there seems to be a big difference (70 pts on COMLEX) between those who matched and unmatched, so isn't it more about board scores/research rather than being DO?
No. It’s about being a DO. I have 250s/260s steps and have been passed over for interviews by MDs with 220s.

To be fair, it sounds like you’re already setting yourself up super well for research. It sounds like you made your decision already. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you aiming for a competitive specialty @Ho0v-man ?

With Comlex going P/F May 2022, do you recommend taking it before it goes to P/F? And also, should you start studying for COMLEX from day 1 of med school?

Are you aiming for a competitive specialty @Ho0v-man ?

With Comlex going P/F May 2022, do you recommend taking it before it goes to P/F? And also, should you start studying for COMLEX from day 1 of med school?
@Ho0v-man and I both applied moderately competitive specialties. Both of us are very competitive applicants.

Honestly I don’t think it will matter if you take it when it’s scored. You will need to crush Level/Step 2 regardless. Start studying for boards beginning of second year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are specialties like anesthesiology, diag rads and optho significantly easer to match into as DO's compared to derm?

Are specialties like anesthesiology, diag rads and optho significantly easer to match into as DO's compared to derm?
Anesthesia and Rads are easier yes. Ophtho no.

Matching WELL is a different story and you will need to be a really good applicant to match well, although still not quite derm level.

Anesthesiology and diagnostic rads yes. Optho no. But there is bias in every field. I’m applying DR. But my friends applying to every field have observed that programs would much rather take an MD that scores 20 points lower than a DO with the exception of fields like FM and psych that historically haven’t had the luxury of caring about stuff like that.

I’m not trying to scare you or anything, just making sure you go in with eyes wide open. If I were an MD, my reach programs would probably be my safeties. The bias is real and it works against you harder the more competitive the specialty.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah same. I’m not trying to scare you either, and it actually sounds like you are well on your way to being a very competitive applicant. I just want you to realize that the bias is real, so you aren’t shocked by it later.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you, I appreciate the info.

Would you guys recommend having backups, so applying to more than 1 specialty during the matching process (in case derm doesn't work out)? I'm not completely sure how the process works.

Thank you, I appreciate the info.

Would you guys recommend having backups, so applying to more than 1 specialty during the matching process (in case derm doesn't work out)? I'm not completely sure how the process works.
This is my personal opinion about dual applying.

IF you are a borderline candidate to a specialty then you should dual apply. Make sure you have completely different letters and stuff. If you go this route the back up specialty should be something you don’t have to audition for or If the back up specialty you want us something you need 3 or more specific letters in, or you need auditions then do not dual apply.

IF you are have the app of an average matched applicant or greater to your specialty of choice then you should go all in on your specialty of choice and have a back up plan for if you don’t match. This will likely be a one year internship/prelim and then applying to a different specialty the next year.

example, if you are applying ENT, then GS is a hard field to dual apply to because you really need 3 distinct GS letters which will be hard to get while building an ENT app. But if you are cool with IM as a back up then have at it.

Reactions: 1 user
How important are EC's when it comes time for matching? Like clubs/leadership/volunteering/work ? Are they required pretty much for the competitive specialties?

And for the timeline: start studying beginning of M2 for step 1/lvl 1, beginning of M3 for step 2/lvl 2, and then work on getting letters/putting app together to submit beginning of M4?

How important are EC's when it comes time for matching? Like clubs/leadership/volunteering/work ? Are they required pretty much for the competitive specialties?

And for the timeline: start studying beginning of M2 for step 1/lvl 1, beginning of M3 for step 2/lvl 2, and then work on getting letters/putting app together to submit beginning of M4?
The Program Director's guide tells you what PDs like:

@Goro Do you have any opinion of Lake Erie - Bradenton Campus and the PCOM - South Georgia campus, taking into consideration I want to apply derm?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think you would've been competitive for derm if you had a bit more research ?

Do you guys think you would've been competitive for derm if you had a bit more research ?
If I had >7 first author derm pubs (real research, not case reports)then I’d be in the running. But literally the average scores are >80th percentile so even though I have high scores it’s not impressing anybody in derm. It’s just checking the box everyone else checked. As a DO with those scores and that level of research, expect less than 10 interviews and for half of them to be from auditions. IIRC, it’s the one field that has the most disproportionate representation of matriculants from top tier med schools.

Programs have so many excellent applicants that they need to cut down apps somehow. So it ends up being stratified by the name of the school.

No DO is a safe bet for derm. That’s reality.

Reactions: 3 users
I think Derm is very overrated so never had any interest. I probably would have been decently competitive for DO derm programs as is if I had done derm research instead of surgery research.

@Goro Do you have any opinion of Lake Erie - Bradenton Campus and the PCOM - South Georgia campus, taking into consideration I want to apply derm?
GPA at LECOM - Bradenton can be brutal because PBL is worth 90% of the semester's grade, but everyone is on the same boat so even a high B can still get you top 25% of the class. Minimal research but there are some, probably nothing you're interested in given the caliber you want/need. You do have a lot of free time though given PBL is only 2 hours every mon/wed/friday and you have OPP/CE for an hour or two every other tues or Thursday (covid schedule)

Are you a current M1 student at LECOM - B @MedDoc305 ? Is everyone ranked by grade?

How exactly are PBL's graded, and are the block exams only 10% of the grade then?

Does quality (prestigious journal, authorship number, case reports) of research matter more than quantity? Or do they mainly care about the number of research items you have @Ho0v-man ?

Are you a current M1 student at LECOM - B @MedDoc305 ? Is everyone ranked by grade?

How exactly are PBL's graded, and are the block exams only 10% of the grade then?
Yes. We are ranked by GPA from all 4 years. PBL ranges between 2 or 3 exams every semester, adding up to 90%, and an evaluation worth 10-15%.
The first semester has anatomy with 11 credits, PBL with 10/12, OPP with like 2-3, CE with 1-2 and maybe one more class for like another credit that I cant remember.
The second semester it's CE, OPP, Public health, and Healthcare management with like 1-3 credits each and PBL with 26 credits. The third semester has a similar setup and so forth.
Average chapters to read on this exam coming up is 46. Take a school with powerpoints and no attendance if you can.

Last edited:
Are there no powerpoints no lectures every week at this school? Just reading on your own from a textbook?

How are the PBL exams, similar to the multiple choice NBME exams ?

Are there no powerpoints no lectures every week at this school? Just reading on your own from a textbook?

How are the PBL exams, similar to the multiple choice NBME exams ?
Ive never taken an NBME exam, but i highly doubt it. Most questions are first order with some second-order questions. they can get pretty specific about a small sentence under a picture in one of the 46 chapters you read (though most are very fair). There are no PowerPoint or lectures for PBL. You meet in a group, go through cases, and pick chapters relevant to the cases and they add up to the eventual test.

Does quality (prestigious journal, authorship number, case reports) of research matter more than quantity? Or do they mainly care about the number of research items you have @Ho0v-man ?
From reading on here, the answer is both. Obviously I can’t speak from a position of authority on the matter as I also think derm is overrated.

I was planning on doing research elsewhere to get those publications. For example, I've been doing research remotely this year and have 3 derm pubs + 1 non-derm pub already and am working on more. I think I can be the top 1-2 students at my DO school b/c I was consistently in the top ~15% of the M1 class at a top 50 MD program (SMP).

And even though its only 75%, there seems to be a big difference (70 pts on COMLEX) between those who matched and unmatched, so isn't it more about board scores/research rather than being DO?
Hard work can cover up for a lot of sins. Being in the top 15% of a class of people trying for GPA repair is not the same as being tops in a class of successful DO applicants. I'm just saying not to underestimate your classmates. There are some really smart students in your class, to be sure. There always are. It looks like you are off to a great start. Keep up the hard work and play the match game well. Good luck and best wishes!

Both. Quantity is impressive because it is hard for medical students to produce at a high level, but quality will impress them more. The MD derm match we had last year, and the likely one we’ll have this year, both have first author derm publications in reputable derm journals.

This has been my experience as well applying to academic surgery.

I read many students ranked DMU and CCOM in their top 5. Are there any former DMU/CCOM students who can talk about their experience with me?

I read many students ranked DMU and CCOM in their top 5. Are there any former DMU/CCOM students who can talk about their experience with me?
- Top DO schools for me would be the state schools: TCOM, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, OUHCOM, Rowan, and WVSOM
- And these private schools: PCOM-PA, DMU, KCU, CUSOM, ATSU, Western U, and RVU.

In no particular order of course.

CCOM would be a top school only if you are not footing the whole $420K in tuition and COL.

Edited to include TCOM in the state schools.

Last edited:
- Top DO schools for me would be the state schools: MSUCOM, OSUCOM, OUHCOM, Rowan, and WVSOM
- And these private schools: PCOM-PA, DMU, KCU, CUSOM, ATSU, Western U, and RVU.

In no particular order of course.

CCOM would be a top school only if you are not footing the whole $420K in tuition and COL.

Curious, whats your reason for western U? For me, the further I get into training, interview applicants, and teach auditioning medical students the trend I see is old>new. The more established the school the better the students are.

Also UNT is probably the best state school imo due to tuition cost combined with quality.

Curious, whats your reason for western U? For me, the further I get into training, interview applicants, and teach auditioning medical students the trend I see is old>new. The more established the school the better the students are.

Also UNT is probably the best state school imo due to tuition cost combined with quality.
Completely forgot about TCOM among the state schools, and ironically it's probably the best DO school out there (or close second to PCOM-PA). I will edit to include TCOM. I included WesternU based solely on their consistently good outcome in the match and board pass rates which are two things someone going into a DO school should worry about since being a DO is already a disadvantage.

LECOM's match lists seem pretty good. They matched multiple people into dermatology, which is hard even at MD programs.

Completely forgot about TCOM among the state schools, and ironically it's probably the best DO school out there (or close second to PCOM-PA). I will edit to include TCOM. I included WesternU based solely on their consistently good outcome in the match and board pass rates which are two things someone going into a DO school should worry about since being a DO is already a disadvantage.

I understand that and can respect it.

LECOM I would only attend because it's super cheap and have lots of residency programs. Otherwise, I haven't heard great things about them.
I have often said fit is important and use my wife as an example. Me, on the other hand, taught in public schools, raised Catholic, so putting a tie on is no big deal. Mandatory attendance? It's like 18 months of on campus class time. Significantly reducing my cost of education? Very important to me! Lecom would fit those criteria for me. Their system appears to work from their board scores and match lists. If someone wants to pay 60k, or more, so they can stay in their Jammies all day and not attend classes, who am I to tell them they shouldn't? Life's full of choices.

Reactions: 5 users
I have often said fit is important and use my wife as an example. Me, on the other hand, taught in public schools, raised Catholic, so putting a tie on is no big deal. Mandatory attendance? It's like 18 months of on campus class time. Significantly reducing my cost of education? Very important to me! Lecom would fit those criteria for me. Their system appears to work from their board scores and match lists. If someone wants to pay 60k, or more, so they can stay in their Jammies all day and not attend classes, who am I to tell them they shouldn't? Life's full of choices.

Ya on the other side I wish I would’ve taken the LECOM interview lol. I still went to a mandatory attendance school but it was scrubs for the dress code lol. I kinda picked the in between option of my choices. I turned down an extremely expensive well established school without attendance for a cheaper newer school with attendance. I didn’t want to go all the way to LECOM for fear of the rules despite the tuition cost break. In hindsight, I should’ve just went to the LECOM interview. Maybe id be 100k less in loans.

I'm on the DSP - directed study pathway at LECOM starting this fall, so hopefully its not as much attendance as Lecture or the PBL pathways... The dress code doesn't really bother me , but I do want to go into competitive specialties (derm or rads).

I'm on the DSP - directed study pathway at LECOM starting this fall, so hopefully its not as much attendance as Lecture or the PBL pathways... The dress code doesn't really bother me , but I do want to go into competitive specialties (derm or rads).
Study your butt off then and find derm research early.

Ya on the other side I wish I would’ve taken the LECOM interview lol. I still went to a mandatory attendance school but it was scrubs for the dress code lol. I kinda picked the in between option of my choices. I turned down an extremely expensive well established school without attendance for a cheaper newer school with attendance. I didn’t want to go all the way to LECOM for fear of the rules despite the tuition cost break. In hindsight, I should’ve just went to the LECOM interview. Maybe id be 100k less in loans.
Feelin that rn

Charting outcomes 2020 showed 91.8% match rate for DR amongst graduating DO seniors. DR is doable now, in 4 yrs, anybody 's guess. It has become boiler room piece work at many places, so I don't believe it will become super popular during your schooling. Good luck and best wishes!

LECOM's match lists seem pretty good. They matched multiple people into dermatology, which is hard even at MD programs.
This is what startles me. Many people trash LECOM's PBL style but when it comes to their match list they are dominant for a DO school that offers students residency match placements into some of the most competitive specialties.

Why is that the case? Isn't that one of the main goals for an medical institution... to offer a great match outcome for their students. Just curious why it is trashed so much from that a match outcome point of view.

This is what startles me. Many people trash LECOM's PBL style but when it comes to their match list they are dominant for a DO school that offers students residency match placements into some of the most competitive specialties.

Why is that the case? Isn't that one of the main goals for an medical institution... to offer a great match outcome for their students. Just curious why it is trashed so much from that a match outcome point of view.
Preclinical education has very little impact on matching because at the end of the day it is on you as the medical student to learn the information and prepare for boards. Clinical rotations and opportunities matter a lot more

I just wanted to chime in on this comment.

I went to high school with a kid. I had no idea he wanted to become a doctor but I recently learned through a mutual friend that he attended LECOM and is an orthopedic surgeon so I looked him up and he appears to be quite successful today.

Preclinical education has very little impact on matching because at the end of the day it is on you as the medical student to learn the information and prepare for boards. Clinical rotations and opportunities matter a lot more
Never looked at it from that side. So I guess maybe LECOM has solid Clinical Rotation sites.
I always thought the STEP scores were the primary factor before anything else.

I feel like every year this same conversation happens and then people are bummed when their school isn't a top 5 DO school. When in reality it doesn't matter since all DO schools are seen relatively the same besides a few (PCOM, TCOM, and OSU). I even think the match list is a bad measurement year to year since that's so dependent on the individual students. It would be interesting if there was a way to compile DO match lists and determine what type of programs schools sent students to, for example, X% university center, X% university affiliates, X% former DO programs, X% HCA residencies etc.

Never looked at it from that side. So I guess maybe LECOM has solid Clinical Rotation sites.
I always thought the STEP scores were the primary factor before anything else.
Step scores are arguably the most important criteria for getting an interview, but no school is going to get you a good step score. It’s all on you

Some schools put a lot of emphasis on board material during preclinical years, which probably helps students get high step 1 scores (e.g UC has an avg step 1 score of ~242 I believe, which seems pretty high)

I think you just made @GAMING4FUNN s point. Lecom gets lots of heat and their board scores and match rate are good.