Top "DO friendly" allopathic IM programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3ldude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first time posting so please go easy.

I am a DO student and i got 244 on my USMLE. I want to find out the best IM programs that I have a shot at so i can start setting up my elective rotations there. I know there is no real 'ranking' of residency programs and its mostly subjective etc but whats a good way to find out what the best IM programs in the country are in terms of quality of education, fellowship placement, University affiliation, resident satisfaction etc

Any advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
DO friendly internal medicine university programs

Good thread. Surprised how far down I had to look for it. There's a lot of random bickering, as usual in the middle, but there are a lot of high yield posts with clear lists. Some are older, but it should give you a good place to start.

As an aside, as you go through that thread, it would be valuable if you were to compile a list that was relatively all inclusive with all the programs from the posts in that thread, and then tack it onto the end. I'm sure others in the future would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DO friendly internal medicine university programs

Good thread. Surprised how far down I had to look for it. There's a lot of random bickering, as usual in the middle, but there are a lot of high yield posts with clear lists. Some are older, but it should give you a good place to start.

As an aside, as you go through that thread, it would be valuable if you were to compile a list that was relatively all inclusive with all the programs from the posts in that thread, and then tack it onto the end. I'm sure others in the future would appreciate it.

Will do. Thanks!

So I had no idea this existed until I started residency - but in 2006 the AAIM started the Education Innovation Project - or EIP project, to do a feasibility study of changing the structure of an IM residency. Folklore suggests the 18 programs allowed to enroll in this were allowed to do so because they were excellent, established programs - considered to be some of the top in the nation. So in my mind that's a list in an of itself of solid programs. Highlights include Harvard, Mayo Clinic, U Pitt, UCSF, Duke, Beth Israel, etc.

AAIM : EIP Collaborative

Edit: as far as the DO friendliness - as a DO I interviewed (or turned down interviews) to a handful of the programs on this list, you could look through their residency roster for recent years to see how they are.

Reactions: 1 users