Top school or mid tier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I'm just going to take Biochem, pay the few thousand, and decide in April. My fear is that I decide not to take the class, get some meerit aid from them, but be screwed out cause I didn't take the class.
Can't you just take it at a community college?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I'm just going to take Biochem, pay the few thousand, and decide in April. My fear is that I decide not to take the class, get some meerit aid from them, but be screwed out cause I didn't take the class.

You could just take it over the summer but I get your point. FWIW, given your interests, I don't see any compelling reasons to choose Hopkins over places that you feel you'll be much happier at. However, I think I should point out that a lot of people enjoy certain schools/locations much more than they would think once they actually get there. If you haven't lived away from your family before, it could seem scary/uncomfortable to go to a place like Hopkins. Just be careful not to base your decision off this feeling when you may very well enjoy being away and being at Hopkins.

That being said, given what you've provided so far, I'd probably not go to Hopkins if in your shoes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on the key differnces/prospects between a competitive program for a competitive specialty and a relatively less competitive program in the same specialty? I know Instatewaiter mentioned the increased autonomy present at competitive programs. Is there anything else?

The schools I am looking at that match students in these specialties don't necessarily match them to the national top tier programs.

Btw, congrats on your acceptances SoulinNeed!

Last edited:
Yeah, I struggle to think of any reasons besides just "It's Hopkins".

I mean, these are the fields that I'm interested in: Anesthesiology, Diagnostic Radiology, PM&R, maybe GI. Of course, others could be added later, but right now, I'm sure I don't want to do surgery, for instance. Like I said, I would like to do academic medicine (or at least, I want to keep that as a realistic option), but I would prefer that to be in Chicago.

If you're confident that you want to stay in Chicago then going to school in Chicago will help you more than going to Hopkins.

(sent from my phone)

Yeah, I struggle to think of any reasons besides just "It's Hopkins".

I mean, these are the fields that I'm interested in: Anesthesiology, Diagnostic Radiology, PM&R, maybe GI. Of course, others could be added later, but right now, I'm sure I don't want to do surgery, for instance. Like I said, I would like to do academic medicine (or at least, I want to keep that as a realistic option), but I would prefer that to be in Chicago.

PM&R is one of the least competitive fields. Anesthesia is moderately competitive. Radiology is competitive but not that competitive. GI is a fellowship and will be helped by going to a strong medicine program.

Baltimore is definitely not Chicago. If you'd only be happy in Chicago, go there. Are we talking RFU or NW or Chicago?

PM&R is one of the least competitive fields. Anesthesia is moderately competitive. Radiology is competitive but not that competitive. GI is a fellowship and will be helped by going to a strong medicine program.

Baltimore is definitely not Chicago. If you'd only be happy in Chicago, go there. Are we talking RFU or NW or Chicago?
Loyola-Stritch and UIC.

When you ask if I want to do research along with academics, do you mean now, or post residency?

No, I don't want to get involved with public policy.

Yes, I do want to work with underserved communities (but I think I can do that at Loyola-Stritch or UIC).

No to dual degrees.

Yes, I want to do my residency in Chicago.

No, I've never lived away from my family and friends.

And no, I don't have a significant other (at least, not right now, lol).

Both. Mainly now in med school, but also as a potential part of your career post residency.

Both UIC and Loyola should offer similar opportunities for working with underserved communities, so you're golden in that regard. Ultimately I would at least go to second looks and wait to see the financial aid situation before you make a final decision. At the same time, it sounds like you'd be happier staying in Chicago.

Both. Mainly now in med school, but also as a potential part of your career post residency.

Both UIC and Loyola should offer similar opportunities for working with underserved communities, so you're golden in that regard. Ultimately I would at least go to second looks and wait to see the financial aid situation before you make a final decision. At the same time, it sounds like you'd be happier staying in Chicago.
I would like to do research in med school, but I don't view it as an integral part of an academic medicine career. The thing that interests me about academic medicine is the lifestyle, and being able to teach residents.

I would like to do research in med school, but I don't view it as an integral part of an academic medicine career. The thing that interests me about academic medicine is the lifestyle, and being able to teach residents.

Lifestyle in academics?! You should share the inside secret(s) with me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to where you'll be happiest. Med school is hard enough. You don't need to be stressing and being miserable with missing friends, family, and being in an uncomfortable place for you in addition to the stresses of medical school. Any US medical school matches into competitive specialties. Go to where you'll be happiest because that is the school you will feel the most comfortable and have the best success.

Unfortunately, it is the research that makes up an academic career.

I agree though, the schedule for academic medicine is better than outside of academia, especially if you do a lot of research

Unfortunately, it is the research that makes up an academic career.

I agree though, the schedule for academic medicine is better than outside of academia, especially if you do a lot of research
I know physicians involved in academic medicine that do little or no research.

Lifestyle in academics?! You should share the inside secret(s) with me!
Residents see the pt in the ED, work them up, call you and tell you what they found, you grunt agreement at 3am and go back to sleep. :D

If you're in a specialty where the patients are sick and spend protracted courses in the SICU, an academic career will entail a lot fewer 2am phone calls than if you were first call.

Go to where you'll be happiest. Med school is hard enough. You don't need to be stressing and being miserable with missing friends, family, and being in an uncomfortable place for you in addition to the stresses of medical school. Any US medical school matches into competitive specialties. Go to where you'll be happiest because that is the school you will feel the most comfortable and have the best success.
I guess it's just the regret factor. I know I want to practice in Chicago, but I fear that I'll look back on this, and realize that I made a mistake. Then again, I know that if I go to a Chicago school, especially ones with their own residency programs, that I'll be able to stay in Chicago.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the OP (who's probably been rejected from Pritzker, yes?) will get a later interview invite to Feinberg, get admitted shortly thereafter (probably with decent merit aid), and this entire debate will be moot.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the OP (who's probably been rejected from Pritzker, yes?) will get a later interview invite to Feinberg, get admitted shortly thereafter (probably with decent merit aid), and this entire debate will be moot.
I've been essentially waitlisted at Pritzker, and I doubt I'm getting an interview at Feinberg, at this stage.

Well, I've sort of decided what I want. I want to do a residency here in Chicago, and I'm interested in being able to go into academic medicine. While I want to do research in medical school, I don't really want my career to be totally research intensive. What interests me about academic medicine is the teaching aspect. BTW, going to Johns Hopkins will require a few more thousand dollars out of me for this upcoming semester in order to take Biochem. Being able to stay close to my family is also important to me (I'm an only child who's always been near them in some aspect. I won't be living with them for med school, but it'll be closer than the other side of the country.

Barring any merit aid, both Loyola and Johns Hopkins are about the same price. What do you guys think? Am I screwing myself in possibly choosing Loyola over JH?

If you have the work ethic to get into Hopkins I am sure you can figure out how to shape your career the way you want it no matter where you go.

If I have learned anything in life, it is this: You get out what you put in...

If you want to skate by, by all means skate by and take the possible benefits and consequences. If you want to challenge yourself and proactively make things happen, by all means do it. It is these decisions, not the school, that make one successful. One school may push you in the direction of one decision over the other... one may make one choice a lot harder than the other... but in the end you can make whatever choice you want. This is why match lists change so much from class to class, because the students make their own choices.

No matter where you go to medical school, from one mid-tier to another to the best medical school in the world... your choices as a student are what will make you the physician, not the logo on your short white coat. JH may have more opportunities to do cutting edge research, sure. Loyola may have better opportunities to serve the community, especially since the jesuit mission emphasizes this, sure. But when push comes to shove, with some initiative and hard work, there will be very little holding you back from making your medical school experience what you want and need.

Take your second looks and know this... whatever choice you make, it is the right choice because you will make it the right choice for 4 years.

Good luck and I hope to see you next year ;)

Well, I've sort of decided what I want. I want to do a residency here in Chicago, and I'm interested in being able to go into academic medicine. While I want to do research in medical school, I don't really want my career to be totally research intensive. What interests me about academic medicine is the teaching aspect. BTW, going to Johns Hopkins will require a few more thousand dollars out of me for this upcoming semester in order to take Biochem. Being able to stay close to my family is also important to me (I'm an only child who's always been near them in some aspect. I won't be living with them for med school, but it'll be closer than the other side of the country.

Barring any merit aid, both Loyola and Johns Hopkins are about the same price. What do you guys think? Am I screwing myself in possibly choosing Loyola over JH?

I don't think anyone will ever say that you screwed yourself over by going to Loyola. Actually, many people on this thread have encouraged you to go there.

I think it's an incredibly mature and awesome decision to choose where you would be happy and content versus the prestige of JHU. I hope everything works out for you, keep us updated.

If you have the work ethic to get into Hopkins I am sure you can figure out how to shape your career the way you want it no matter where you go.

If I have learned anything in life, it is this: You get out what you put in...

If you want to skate by, by all means skate by and take the possible benefits and consequences. If you want to challenge yourself and proactively make things happen, by all means do it. It is these decisions, not the school, that make one successful. One school may push you in the direction of one decision over the other... one may make one choice a lot harder than the other... but in the end you can make whatever choice you want. This is why match lists change so much from class to class, because the students make their own choices.

No matter where you go to medical school, from one mid-tier to another to the best medical school in the world... your choices as a student are what will make you the physician, not the logo on your short white coat. JH may have more opportunities to do cutting edge research, sure. Loyola may have better opportunities to serve the community, especially since the jesuit mission emphasizes this, sure. But when push comes to shove, with some initiative and hard work, there will be very little holding you back from making your medical school experience what you want and need.

Take your second looks and know this... whatever choice you make, it is the right choice because you will make it the right choice for 4 years.

Good luck and I hope to see you next year ;)

+1:thumbup:

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards Loyola. I really liked my interview there, from the people to the community, to the facilities, to the mission. If JHU was in Chicago, I would choose it, but we're no longer children, and these are the tough decisions we have to make.

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards Loyola. I really liked my interview there, from the people to the community, to the facilities, to the mission. If JHU was in Chicago, I would choose it, but we're no longer children, and these are the tough decisions we have to make.

Loyola is pretty awesome. Maybe you can bring some family to JHU second look day and get their feedback?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Loyola is pretty awesome. Maybe you can bring some family to JHU second look day and get their feedback?

Can't really do that, man. It would cost me $3K to take Biochem this upcoming semester. I'd rather not spend the money and time (the school that I would need to take it at is about 20 miles from me) taking it, if I don't have to. Besides, their opinion, honestly, would be irrelevant. I know it's a great school, and I really enjoyed what they showed me. I have other considerations, though. I want Chicago, and I want to do my residency here, as well, and I would likely practice here, as well.

Like I said, I have a growing interest in academic medicine (and I don't care where, just as long as it's in the Chicago land area). So, I don't know if going to Loyola hurts it too much?

Can't really do that, man. It would cost me $3K to take Biochem this upcoming semester. I'd rather not spend the money and time (the school that I would need to take it at is about 20 miles from me) taking it, if I don't have to. Besides, their opinion, honestly, would be irrelevant. I know it's a great school, and I really enjoyed what they showed me. I have other considerations, though. I want Chicago, and I want to do my residency here, as well, and I would likely practice here, as well.

Like I said, I have a growing interest in academic medicine (and I don't care where, just as long as it's in the Chicago land area). So, I don't know if going to Loyola hurts it too much?

I doubt Loyola hurts it at all. You might have a few more opportunities as a JHU studemt/graduate, but Loyola should get you where you want to be especially since you want to stay in Chicago.

You'll never regret beig somewhere you love.

I doubt Loyola hurts it at all. You might have a few more opportunities as a JHU studemt/graduate, but Loyola should get you where you want to be especially since you want to stay in Chicago.

You'll never regret beig somewhere you love.

Well, I don't love Chicago, just my parents and friends, but I get the point, lol.

Well, I don't love Chicago, just my parents and friends, but I get the point, lol.

Well if I'm lucky enough to get into a school in the same city as my girlfriend (closest thing to family for me) I will definitely go to that school. She needed alot of support during M1 and M2 and I'm guessing it'll be a similar situation for me. Doing well at Loyola will be more fruitful than doing poorly at JHU due to not being near enough to your support system

Well if I'm lucky enough to get into a school in the same city as my girlfriend (closest thing to family for me) I will definitely go to that school. She needed alot of support during M1 and M2 and I'm guessing it'll be a similar situation for me. Doing well at Loyola will be more fruitful than doing poorly at JHU due to not being near enough to your support system

Yeah, it's not like I'll be seeing them much, but knowing that I'm nearby to help them will keep my mind at ease. Besides, I know that no matter what, I'll need to be here for residency and future practice.

Yeah, it's not like I'll be seeing them much, but knowing that I'm nearby to help them will keep my mind at ease. Besides, I know that no matter what, I'll need to be here for residency and future practice.

I think you might be surprised. I have quite a few classmates from the Chicagoland area and they seem to visit family pretty often. Most of them live out in the burbs too, so not really what I would call "convenient."

I know I would go home quite a bit if I was near my family.

(sent from my phone)

I think you might be surprised. I have quite a few classmates from the Chicagoland area and they seem to visit family pretty often. Most of them live out in the burbs too, so not really what I would call "convenient."

I know I would go home quite a bit if I was near my family.

(sent from my phone)
Yeah, I say that, but I'll probably be taking advantage of their refrigerator, lol.

Sorry if it's a little late, but if you're interested in PM&R then Loyola is a great choice--it has a residency program (so you can rotate through it in your third year), and Chicago is home to the top (or one of the top three, depending on who you ask) residency programs in the country, at RIC (affiliated with Northwestern). So you could easily do research there or build up contacts there or at other Chicago-area programs if you went to Loyola or UIC. However, UIC has no residency program--there are a total of five PM&R residency programs in Chicago (RIC, Schwab/UC, Loyola, Rush, Marianjoy).

Honestly though, I was convinced I'd be going into psych or neuro when I began medical school, and during third/fourth year the big decision ended up being between FM and PM&R (I chose PM&R). Minds change, and I wouldn't base your choice of medical school too heavily on residency programs. But it doesn't hurt to be aware.

Disclaimer--I'm a little biased as a current Loyola student. I love it here. But, I absolutely agree with others that you should go where you'll be happy. I do know a couple classmates who live with their parents in the burbs and commute to Loyola. Saves some money... But you will definitely have plenty of time to visit your family. Raid that fridge as often as you can!

honestly. after moving away from all of my family (granted i have my SO with me, but she would agree), i would do it all over again.

it wasn't easy. the first two years were hard. and, i only see them once a year. but you learn A LOT about yourself (managing stress, learning medicine and culture in an area different from where you will practice, etc) and you make new friends. family will always be family, and old friends will always be there as long as you keep in contact. of course, this is all just my opinion and hindsight is always 20/20.

Hi SoulinNeed. I am in a similar situation. I recently was accepted to Hopkins and need to take one more class for matriculation (which I can do during the summer), but I basically got almost a full-ride merit based scholarship to my state school for all four years. So I don't know what to do at this point. I have heard both sides of the argument. Some say don't think about the money and go to Hopkins, others say take the money! I guess I will wait for financial aid.

Any thoughts from anybody would be greatly appreciated...

First of all, congrats! This is a good dilemma to have!

I think you should wait before making the final decision, go to second look, wait for financial aid, etc. I don't know, I think going for the adventure could be really worthwhile and life-changing.

As for the biochem class, why so expensive? If you go to a private school and can't take it at a cc, you can surely take it at a nearby state school for less than a grand.

I just say don't count out the other path just yet. If you go to second look and feel strongly, then you'll know more. And having that biochem class can't hurt.

Hi SoulinNeed. I am in a similar situation. I recently was accepted to Hopkins and need to take one more class for matriculation (which I can do during the summer), but I basically got almost a full-ride merit based scholarship to my state school for all four years. So I don't know what to do at this point. I have heard both sides of the argument. Some say don't think about the money and go to Hopkins, others say take the money! I guess I will wait for financial aid.

Have you let Hopkins know that you have the big merit offer? If not, do so in a very polite manner.

go for the state school

Normally I'd be in favor of attending the state school which is the financially responsible thing to do. But it's Johns Hopkins. Sir William Osler and all that.

I think Hopkins. Normally Id say the state a school as well, but it's like a top 5 with extreme name recognition. If it were some random school in the top 30 that charges a lot Id choose the cheaper state school option.