Total cost of attendance for all 9 podiatry schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adventure-time

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did the calculations and tried to tier each school based on total cost of attendance (mostly using the 2015-2016 data, so Im sure all prices are slightly higher, but i think the order will be the same).

I was wondering if these seemed right to you, or if I'm off.

1. Samuel college of podiatry -- 81,000/yr. (tuition/fees: 44,000....cost of living: 35,000)
2. Midwestern - Arizona -- 67,000/yr. (tuition/fees: 43,270....cost of living: 24,300)
3. Cali -Western -- 65,000/yr. (tuition/fees:43,000...cost of living: 22,000)
4. Kent State University -- 64,000/yr. (tuition/fees: 41,700....cost of living: 22,000)
5. New York -- 60,000/yr. (tuition/fees: 36,500...cost of living: 23,500)
6. DMU -- 59,300/yr. (tuition/fees: 35,700...cost of living: 23,500)
7. Temple -- 58,000/yr. (tuition/fees: 40,100...cost of living: 18,000)
8. Scholl -- 56,200/yr. (tuition/fees: 39,200...cost of living: 17,000)
9. Barry -- 46,600/yr. (tuition/fees: 42,500...cost of living: 4,000?)

Is this accurate? Also, why does Barry's cost of living seem so low?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I did the calculations and tried to tier each school based on total cost of attendance (mostly using the 2015-2016 data, so Im sure all prices are slightly higher, but i think the order will be the same).

I was wondering if these seemed right to you, or if I'm off.

1. Samuel college of podiatry -- 81,000/yr. (tuition/fees: 44,000....cost of living: 35,000)
2. Midwestern - Arizona -- 67,000/yr. (tuition/fees: 43,270....cost of living: 24,300)
3. Cali -Western -- 65,000/yr. (tuition/fees:43,000...cost of living: 22,000)
4. Kent State University -- 64,000/yr. (tuition/fees: 41,700....cost of living: 22,000)
5. New York -- 60,000/yr. (tuition/fees: 36,500...cost of living: 23,500)
6. DMU -- 59,300/yr. (tuition/fees: 35,700...cost of living: 23,500)
7. Temple -- 58,000/yr. (tuition/fees: 40,100...cost of living: 18,000)
8. Scholl -- 56,200/yr. (tuition/fees: 39,200...cost of living: 17,000)
9. Barry -- 46,600/yr. (tuition/fees: 42,500...cost of living: 4,000?)

Is this accurate? Also, why does Barry's cost of living seem so low?
I think DMU currently sits at about 63.5K

EDIT: 60.5K

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that Kent State University that high? Its in the midwest right, shouldn't Kent State, School, and DMU be the cheapest?
I dont think that schools really care that much if they are in midwest or how they compare to the nearby school. They have their own unique reasons to set that tuition.

When I interviewed at DMU and Scholl, I have seen that their COA ia pretty much the same even though tuition and living expenses are different. I guess schools can adjust budgets by increasing or decreasing other fees so students can have about 25k of loans left after tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont think that schools really care that much if they are in midwest or how they compare to the nearby school. They have their own unique reasons to set that tuition.

When I interviewed at DMU and Scholl, I have seen that their COA ia pretty much the same even though tuition and living expenses are different. I guess schools can adjust budgets by increasing or decreasing other fees so students can have about 25k of loans left after tuition.

So all podiatry schools are pretty similar in terms of "total cost" (tutions+fees and living conditions)?

Do my numbers look fairly accurate?

Does that seem pricey to you?

That is about 300k of debt for attendance...
That is about 10K more than DMU and Scholl.

DMU is 60.5K for Fall 2018 start and Scholl budget is 59.3K as well. ( I just checked).

For some reason I dont really like that Scholl has 59.3K because Scholl has higher tuition and living expenses than DMU. DMUs COA budget has more fees included in it while Scholls budget only includes Tuition, living expenses, books and supplies, fees, transportation, and personal expenses. I dont see for example, health insurance which DMU has for about 3.5K.

Attachments

• 15283451639884276047162870075162.jpg
    15283451639884276047162870075162.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 154
So all podiatry schools are pretty similar in terms of "total cost" (tutions+fees and living conditions)?

Do my numbers look fairly accurate?
I do not know about all schools. I have looked at only 3 schools. Scholl and DMU are around 60K while Kent is around 71K

Attachments

• 15283454036976760732316719675516.jpg
    15283454036976760732316719675516.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 15283454425165719306379537781619.jpg
    15283454425165719306379537781619.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 15283455325856224234387472925137.jpg
    15283455325856224234387472925137.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 228
That is about 10K more than DMU and Scholl.

DMU is 60.5K for Fall 2018 start and Scholl budget is 59.3K as well. ( I just checked).

For some reason I dont really like that Scholl has 59.3K because Scholl has higher tuition and living expenses than DMU. DMUs COA budget has more fees included in it while Scholls budget only includes Tuition, living expenses, books and supplies, fees, transportation, and personal expenses. I dont see for example, health insurance which DMU has for about 3.5K.

What website is that?

yes, it gets kind of confusing. It appears most schools are between 62-72k total? I also see New York is crazy expensive if your link is true, so why do they say their cost of living is on par with say, midwestern places like Kent?

What website is that?

yes, it gets kind of confusing. It appears most schools are between 62-72k total? I also see New York is crazy expensive if your link is true, so why do they say their cost of living is on par with say, midwestern places like Kent?
The pictures I provided are pictures I have just taken from my documents I have received during interview.

so why do they say their cost of living is on par with say, midwestern places like Kent?
Who says?
New York?

Maybe because these budgets are only based on single people. Single person can live on campus or live with someone else or even share a room. So they all try to say that room and board is anywhere between $600-900/mo per person.

Who says?
New York?

Maybe because these budgets are only based on single people. Single person can live on campus or live with someone else or even share a room. So they all try to say that room and board is anywhere between $600-900/mo per person.

So you think New York would undoubtedly be more expensive than a place like Scholl or Kent because of the area?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you think New York would undoubtedly be more expensive than a place like Scholl or Kent because of the area?
I wasnt able to find their COA budget anywhere, but their catalog says that tuition is about 35K. I would guess that their COA would be at least 62K.

But you have to understand that budget is not everything. One can spend more or less than the school budget says. Of course schools try to make that budget higher so people can borrow enough. But it doesnt mean that you will need to use all the money. I dont plan to loan all 60K every year.

You can loan maximum amount what is in the budget. But you dont have to. There are many ways to save and spend less and therefore to borrow less.

You will have to look at individual budget and individual fees.

Even though budgets for Scholl and DMU are pretty much the same, I knew that I will spend a lot less going to DMU.

So, you will have to do your own calculations based on your situation.

Of course, you have to interview first and get acceptances.

Like someone else said here before, you dont want to wait another year to go to another school just because of 5-8K difference because that could be your 1 year of salary.

Kent COA for 2018 is 71.9K

Way higher than you provided
Kent COA is an absurdly high estimate. They predicted 14,000 /room and board.
700 gets you a pretty nice 1 bedroom with dishwasher etc.
Probs lower if you split with roommates.

But you have to understand that budget is not everything. One can spend more or less than the school budget says. Of course schools try to make that budget higher so people can borrow enough. But it doesnt mean that you will need to use all the money. I dont plan to loan all 60K every year.

Do you know what people usually borrow? If Kent State says 72k, and one borrowed 50k, would that be in the realm of possibilities?

Even though budgets for Scholl and DMU are pretty much the same, I knew that I will spend a lot less going to DMU.

How did you know that? Is it because chicago costs more?

Like someone else said here before, you dont want to wait another year to go to another school just because of 5-8K difference because that could be your 1 year of salary.

Very true, plus the increase in tuition every year.

Kent COA is an absurdly high estimate. They predicted 14,000 /room and board.
700 gets you a pretty nice 1 bedroom with dishwasher etc.
Probs lower if you split with roommates.

So you think that Kent State just has an abnormally high estimate and that you could pay 700-2,000 and save 12k off the estimate there? So it would be more like loaning 50-60k and not 70k?

So you think that Kent State just has an abnormally high estimate and that you could pay 700-2,000 and save 12k off the estimate there? So it would be more like loaning 50-60k and not 70k?
I would guess so too

That's why I said before those COA budgets need to be looked at individually considering all the fees they include in the budget. If they have 71K COA it doesnt mean that everyone needs to take out everything. Maybe you will be ok with only 57K or so.

Last edited:
Do you know what people usually borrow? If Kent State says 72k, and one borrowed 50k, would that be in the realm of possibilities?
I do not know what people at other schools borrow, but during interview they said that average amount borrowed for DPM at DMU is 160K even though maximum allowed to borrow is 240K.

How did you know that? Is it because chicago costs more
Yes. Since I have family, living will cost a lot more in Chicago than Des Moines for me since I will need a 3-BR house or townhome.

If Kent State says 72k, and one borrowed 50k, would that be in the realm of possibilities?
I dont think 50K is enough for a person who has no other source of income at all or doesn't plan to use their own savings. If their tuition is 40K for example, having 10K for living and all other personal expenses is not enough.

If you have SO who can bring home some income, then that is a different story.

If, let a say you have 60k in savings, maybe you could divide it up in 4 years and use 15K per year in addition to borrowing 10K for personal and living expenses besides 40K for tuition.

Like I have said, everyone has different situation. Some students may have their parents pay for their living and personal expenses, so they only borrow for tuition.

It all depends where you are coming from in term of finances. If you have 0 personal contribution, then you need to make sure you have enough for everything throughout the year until next reimbursement.

At DMU, they let you come back and borrow more if lets say you only took out 50K out of your maximum 60K and come later and need another 5k.

Don't look too much into the estimated COA that the schools give out. Seems like some schools underestimate and others overestimate. At least that's what I've noticed. Look at the tuition costs and then you can can look at cost of living by searching for the type of apt you will need in the area. All other costs (fees/boards/health insurance) should be about the same.

Also, use common sense for some of them. Obviously the 2 California schools and NY will have a high cost of living. Schools in the Midwest will generally have a low cost of living because ppl don't want to live there.

Yes. And NY is a low estimate tbh unless youre living in a terrible apartment infested with hobbits .
Kent state uses some apartment called the regency which is 650ish for a studio and 750ish for 1 bedroom. Electricity is not more than 20-30 a month.

Yes. And NY is a low estimate tbh unless youre living in a terrible apartment infested with hobbits .
Kent state uses some apartment called the regency which is 650ish for a studio and 750ish for 1 bedroom. Electricity is not more than 20-30 a month.

Ok thanks, so you think the Midwest schools should be the most cost efficient overall? (Scholl in chicago, DMU in Des Moinnes, and Kent in Ohio)?

Do you think Temple is one of the more pricey places to live since its in philly?

I do not know what people at other schools borrow, but during interview they said that average amount borrowed for DPM at DMU is 160K even though maximum allowed to borrow is 240K.

Do you find this information on their web pages, or is it during interviews when they give you a packet?

I dont think 50K is enough for a person who has no other source of income at all or doesn't plan to use their own savings. If their tuition is 40K for example, having 10K for living and all other personal expenses is not enough.

I don't mind getting roommates, but I was wondering if 15k was enough for the Midwestern (and philly) area to live alone?

Last edited:
Do you find this information on their web pages, or is it during interviews when they give you a packet?
Some schools have some info on their website. Kent and DMU have full budgets on their websites, while others have at least info about their tuition. During my two interviews you get all the detailed info again.
I don't mind getting roommates, but I was wondering if 15k was enough for the Midwestern (and philly) area to live alone?
15K just to pay rent or 15K for all the expenses?

Like, DMU sets aside about 6K just for rent and then includes separate fees for utilities, phone, transportation, and such. For DMU, for example, 15K might be enough for a single person. That would probably be a very tight budget. For more expensive areas, I am not sure if 15K would be enough. There are several other factors to consider how often will you go out to eat, how far will you drive, how often will you have to visit your family, and how much you will spend on personal needs and wants. Only you can know that. Some people say that they can live off raman noodles if they need. Some will spend more on their food and so on.

Like I said, let's say you get admitted and get approved for the maximum amount, lets say 62K. You can try to take 52K and see if this is enough. If you run out of money, you can come back to financial aid office and take out more.

If you take out more than you need, you can always pay it back I suppose.

Ok thanks, so you think the Midwest schools should be the most cost efficient overall? (Scholl in chicago, DMU in Des Moinnes, and Kent in Ohio)?

Do you think Temple is one of the more pricey places to live since its in philly?
I'm moving to Philly in a few weeks with the gf. We got a 2 bed/2 bath 1200 sq ft, and with all utilities/expenses included will cost about 1800/month, and it is less than 15 min drive to school. Between the money I have saved up the past 2 years and with the gf already having a full time job when we move, I'll only have to take out 3-5k extra per year away from tuition.

I've done the math, and worst case scenario I should only have 180k debt by the time I graduate (already paid off UG loans). This is why I didn't mind choosing Philly besides being slightly more expensive than other school areas.

If you're trying to trim the debt, take some time to actually research the areas. Check out apartments.com or other related websites, see what kind of taxes you'll have to deal with but also what you can get out of each city/area. Do some math on your current and foreseeable finances and get a rough ballpark of the debt after 4 years. It doesn't take too much time and will give you a better feel for the school areas.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm moving to Philly in a few weeks with the gf. We got a 2 bed/2 bath 1200 sq ft, and with all utilities/expenses included will cost about 1800/month, and it is less than 15 min drive to school. Between the money I have saved up the past 2 years and with the gf already having a full time job when we move, I'll only have to take out 3-5k extra per year away from tuition.

I've done the math, and worst case scenario I should only have 180k debt by the time I graduate (already paid off UG loans). This is why I didn't mind choosing Philly besides being slightly more expensive than other school areas.

If you're trying to trim the debt, take some time to actually research the areas. Check out apartments.com or other related websites, see what kind of taxes you'll have to deal with but also what you can get out of each city/area. Do some math on your current and foreseeable finances and get a rough ballpark of the debt after 4 years. It doesn't take too much time and will give you a better feel for the school areas.

This. Personal research is key.

Keep in mind school name does have a little mambo to it. If you go to DMU and Midwestern they have close to 100% board pass rates, super low attrition etc, (I interviewed 2016 so its been a little while)
Midwestern is also very cheap if you live off campus, I believe someone had 3 bedrooms with a pool (large family ) for 1500 + no cold weather + great school.

Temple isnt too bad, the worst places are New York by all standards and SMU. SMU atleast has a good reputation and many of their students match into California residencies where they have higher potential incomes. New york has very low standards for podiatrists, the school has a history of being terrible, etc, I would steer clear from NYCPM by all means unless you absolutely need that january start.
Kent state also has high attrition, unless youre 1000% confident in your abilities I wouldnt go there either for cost benefit.
DMU and midwestern (maybe temple) should be top of your list for cost + quality

Reactions: 3 users

Be careful with roommates especially if you attend school in a low cost area. 15k is more than enough for midwestern to live alone. Keep in mind a small difference of 4-8 k on housing (which comes out to 12k-32 k ) overall may be worth it. One bad roommate who disturbs your schedule and you could be repenting and lose a lot more money in your tuition

My experience with DMU was that if you were willing to tolerate a roomate (2 people in a 2 bedroom) you could drive your rent down to $350-400 a month (and maybe lower if someone owned). Unfortunately, a lot of roommates split after the year was up. I did meet Scholl students on the trail and all of the students I spoke to felt that the area around Scholl was grossly overpriced, but I won't claim any personal experience with that area.

My experience with DMU was that if you were willing to tolerate a roomate (2 people in a 2 bedroom) you could drive your rent down to $350-400 a month (and maybe lower if someone owned). Unfortunately, a lot of roommates split after the year was up. I did meet Scholl students on the trail and all of the students I spoke to felt that the area around Scholl was grossly overpriced, but I won't claim any personal experience with that area.

The thing about DMU is that they are filled for the year. If I do not get accepted this year from the 3-4 schools I did apply to recently, then I will apply to DMU next year. But if I have to choose Kent State, Scholl, Temple, etc. this year, or wait a year just for a chance at DMU, I'd probably take whatever I can get this year rather than wait a year.

Kent state also has high attrition, unless youre 1000% confident in your abilities I wouldnt go there either for cost benefit.

Are you implying Kent State does not help their students pass, that they don't care, or what?

DMU and Midwestern are pretty good for cost+quality, but they are full this year. Temple may be in the running though. They have on-campus living for grad. students, would that be sufficient?

That price sounds great for your conditions, but I would not be able/or want to spend loan money on a place for more than 1,000 a month. Is that unrealistic for places around Temple (phily)?

The thing about DMU is that they are filled for the year.
When I talked to them a week ago, they said they were full but still encouraged to apply because they might have movement. You never know. It's just $45. Lots of students might get from the waitlists st DO schools and there might be some movement.

When I talked to them a week ago, they said they were full but still encouraged to apply because they might have movement. You never know. It's just $45. Lots of students might get from the waitlists st DO schools and there might be some movement.

That is a good point, but I would still have to prioritize the interviews to the places that aren't full, and by the time I get through those, it could be potentially super late for DMU.

Are you implying Kent State does not help their students pass, that they don't care, or what?

DMU and Midwestern are pretty good for cost+quality, but they are full this year. Temple may be in the running though. They have on-campus living for grad. students, would that be sufficient?
Keep in mind school name does have a little mambo to it. If you go to DMU and Midwestern they have close to 100% board pass rates, super low attrition etc, (I interviewed 2016 so its been a little while)
Midwestern is also very cheap if you live off campus, I believe someone had 3 bedrooms with a pool (large family ) for 1500 + no cold weather + great school.

Temple isnt too bad, the worst places are New York by all standards and SMU. SMU atleast has a good reputation and many of their students match into California residencies where they have higher potential incomes. New york has very low standards for podiatrists, the school has a history of being terrible, etc, I would steer clear from NYCPM by all means unless you absolutely need that january start.
I would add Scholl to the top 3-4. The impression that I got during interview is that Scholl is great podiatry school. They have medical school and other healthcare programs. They seem to have good rotations and residency connections. The cost is not bad either. It is based inside Rosalind Franklin University with good and long reputation.

Yes, Kent has one of the highest attrition rates. But the question needs to be - why?is that because a lot of people fail or because they leave for other reasons. I thought Ohio had DO school that takes like 95% IS students. Maybe some pods get accepted into that DO and leave? Maybe that is one of the reasons. I might be wrong.

I would add Scholl to the top 3-4. The impression that I got during interview is that Scholl is great podiatry school. They have medical school and other healthcare programs. They seem to have good rotations and residency connections. The cost is not bad either. It is based inside Rosalind Franklin University with good and long reputation.

I like everything about them except their location in Chicago sounds expensive.

Yes, Kent has one of the highest attrition rates. But the question needs to be - why?is that because a lot of people fail or because they leave for other reasons. I thought Ohio had DO school that takes like 95% IS students. Maybe some pods get accepted into that DO and leave? Maybe that is one of the reasons. I might be wrong.

I assumed it was because with a large class, and because its one of the easier schools to get accepted to, it might just be because the students are more likely to be unprepared? I would imagine Kent treats their students just as well as anywhere else.

I like everything about them except their location in Chicago sounds expensive.
It's not actually Chicago, its north of Chicago. They have on campus apartments and they have off campus Navy houses or something.

They have their core rotations very close. One of them is like across the street. You will save time and money traveling I guess.

If they have spots, I would definitely give it a shot and consider that school.

It's not actually Chicago, its north of Chicago. They have on campus apartments and they have off campus Navy houses or something.

They have their core rotations very close. One of them is like across the street. You will save time and money traveling I guess.

If they have spots, I would definitely give it a shot and consider that school.

Is Temple in the heart of Philly?

That Chicago campus does sound more interesting to me now that I know the costs wont be that of living in the city of Chicago.

Kent states professors are garbage for their preclinical years. They do accept a very large class size as well. Its a state school so they probably dont care enough

How are they poor professors?

This is all subject to peoples opinions but what I get from it is a lot of the professors do what ever they want rather than go based on the syllabus. Theyll ask a lot of useless questions and waste time in less important subjects.

That price sounds great for your conditions, but I would not be able/or want to spend loan money on a place for more than 1,000 a month. Is that unrealistic for places around Temple (phily)?

Depends what you want to live in, I found some places closer to the school (which is in the heart of the city) that were borderline $1000 if you don't mind a 600 sq ft studio, but you also wouldn't have to worry about travel or car payments or anything. There are some places further away from the school (25-30 mins) that range from 900-1000 if you don't mind public transportation/city traffic.

In short, you can find affordable places to live in, just depends what lifestyle you want. We chose to spend the money where we are moving because it's safe, quiet, good for the dog, and about 15 min drive for both of us.

On a side note, Scholl was my second pick, but you would be hard pressed to find somewhere close to the school for less than 900 or 1000 a month too.

All of these monthly rates are the base too, just remember that. However much you spend for utilities, transportation, etc will follow no matter what school you choose.

I went to Kent and enjoyed my time. The attrition rate is directly linked to 125 incoming first years every year. Plain and simple, some of them should not be in any form professional program. As for the comment that the preclinical professors are “garbage” is inaccurate and completely unjustified unless things have changed since 2015 when I took part 1. Felt more than prepared and that many of the questions asked on boards were high yeild topics during lecture and in the notes. As for the people in my class who didn’t pass, I can’t speak for them.

Fact is OP, go where your heart tells you to go. Every school prepares you for the board exams and provides the knowledge for externships. Your success will ultimately be decided on your work ethic and you how prepare and preform on externships. I feel I could have gone to any school and would have been just as prepared for residency as I am now.

That is a good point, but I would still have to prioritize the interviews to the places that aren't full, and by the time I get through those, it could be potentially super late for DMU.
A lot of movement still. A lot of applicants got accepted into multiple places and will ultimately free up spots when they decide where they want to go.

C
I went to Kent and enjoyed my time. The attrition rate is directly linked to 125 incoming first years every year. Plain and simple, some of them should not be in any form professional program. As for the comment that the preclinical professors are “garbage” is inaccurate and completely unjustified unless things have changed since 2015 when I took part 1. Felt more than prepared and that many of the questions asked on boards were high yeild topics during lecture and in the notes. As for the people in my class who didn’t pass, I can’t speak for them.

Fact is OP, go where your heart tells you to go. Every school prepares you for the board exams and provides the knowledge for externships. Your success will ultimately be decided on your work ethic and you how prepare and preform on externships. I feel I could have gone to any school and would have been just as prepared for residency as I am now.

I couldn’t agree more with that second paragraph.

Are you talking just rent or cost of living too? If you're saying just rent, <$1000 is relatively easy. The on campus housing at Temple adds up to be more expensive than some 2 BD 1 BA apartments that are within 5 min walk of the school. I was considering a place that would be about $650/month + utilities and was literally behind the school. I went w on campus housing for the sake of convenience and that "freshman year experience" type atmosphere. The on campus housing is a 11 month lease that is about $5000/semester with all utilities included so $10,000/year

Last edited:
Is Temple in the heart of Philly?

That Chicago campus does sound more interesting to me now that I know the costs wont be that of living in the city of Chicago.
Pretty much in the heart of the city. It's in Chinatown which isn't more than a 25 min walk from center city with all the bars and stuff.