Touro-CA MSMHS 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by afajayan, Jan 24, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tiredphilosophile

tiredphilosophile

Dec 31, 2016
    Great questions, I would love the answers to these because I am still debating between Touro and another program and I'm becoming a little worried.

Rostam! likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Cal_EMT

Cal_EMT

Dec 9, 2015
    1) I'm not sure if we are the best people to answer most of this question, since I really don't know much about the former masters students, other than the ones who graduated last year. It seems like a majority have gone to touro, but there have been a few who have gone to other DO schools. I don't know of anyone who has gone to an MD school after this program, but I'm sure some people have. I applied to only DO schools.

2) Historically, at least as far as I know, most all of the former masters students have gone to med school, although apparently 1 person went to podiatry school. And here's a link to the grade scale for touro http://studentservices.tu.edu/_resources/docs/registrar/formspage/Grade_Scale.pdf the grades are submitted as percentages, NOT letters, so the GPA ends up a bit different than other schools.

3) We have discussed this quite a bit on the 1st and 2nd pages. But yes, the professors are usually great resources.

4) yes, I would recommend this program, but you have to be fully committed to it to be successful.

Rostam! likes this.
  4. Cal_EMT

Cal_EMT

Dec 9, 2015
    While there may be some things about Touro that are a little frustrating (ie campus being closed for holidays), I personally really like it. I think it's the people here who make it a really great place to go to school (students and faculty both). Touro is both inclusive and diverse, and is pretty involved with the community. One of the more important things for me, when I was looking at med schools, was how involved they are in the community. We have the student run free clinic, the berkeley suitcase clinic, the lunchtime OMM lab on campus (where you can get treated by OMS Is and IIs), the Solano County clinics, and the MOBEC (mobile diabetes education center), which goes out into the community and does diabetes testing and various other things. There are also quite a few community volunteer opportunities throughout the year.

Oh yeah, and the food is usually pretty good too. The brisket is pretty amazing, I've heard the salmon is really good (I haven't tried it cuz I don't like salmon), the vegetable pot pie is awesome, pot roast is good....and the scones are super tasty too. It just sucks that the lunch line is usually pretty long. The cafeteria is open from 11:30 til 1:30 though, so it's not too bad right at 11:30 or around 1pm. I do really wish they served breakfast though :( they do make breakfast burritos, but only for special events, such as orientation

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. latinclubimperatus

latinclubimperatus Just let me in dammit 2+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    Jumping back in here to say I think I'll be doing NSU's MBS program. Hard decision but I think it gives me the best shot. Giving a shoutout to themedicalschoolguru, helped me get into every postbacc I applied to (for reference UPenn, here, VCOM, WesternU MSMS, and Nova's MBS). Last cycle I hired insider medical admissions and didn't get in, this cycle I got multiple acceptances. That pretty much says it all.
    About