Touro College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just heard from some of the students that many were on RP and got pulled off after the interview stages. So possibly May..or APril. Also, lots of people will probably be interviewed at other schools so it seems logical if some ppl deny or don't go at the end. I've met this guy at my interview who applied 2 years ago at touro and got in but didn't go. he told me his story and how the candidates in his interview were RP , but they ended up getting in. Plus, if you look at the class 2015 class list, ppl were on RP were eventually pulled off. not saying all RP were pulled off, but i would say majority.

Good info!
But also remember, alot of people didn't know much about the status of Touro last year or year before but since it is going to be fully accredited (I was told they will be during my interview). Alot of people are coming to Touro, also their deposit is $1,000 now which was $2,000 before and they don't require PCAT which gives more students to come and apply
Hopefully, all RP candidates are taken off even if they have to increase the class size by few!!

Members don't see this ad.

Good info!
But also remember, alot of people didn't know much about the status of Touro last year or year before but since it is going to be fully accredited (I was told they will be during my interview). Alot of people are coming to Touro, also their deposit is $1,000 now which was $2,000 before and they don't require PCAT which gives more students to come and apply
Hopefully, all RP candidates are taken off even if they have to increase the class size by few!!

Good points. No one can say they WILL be accredited BUT they most likely will be. Some ppl want to see a program accredited b4 actually attending. And i don't think schools get accredited until majority of the graduating class passes their boards. Last year the deposit was $1000 and they didn't require PCAT last year either. So hopefully we will see basically the same thing as last year with the RP.

Good info!
yeah true.. i agree with you about the $$$ and accreditation. I really hope things work out for them. As for RP, yeah...but from what i read in their facts..they plan to keep it to class of 100 and less. never over 100. so , i guess that is good. they told us that you would be assigned to an 'advisor' for your 4 yrs at touro. As in advisor, i mean you get a professor..which is pretty cool compared to bigger schools out there. i like that they give you that attention. but, investing 1000 bucks is pretty much yougottamakesure this is the right school for you.

the location is good..i stayed at aloft harlem (that hotel is GORGEOUS). but, i bet the commute is gonna suck. i also heard the study rooms are 24/7. you share the library with OT. hmmm there's a free gym in the building. Lots of people i heard live in QUEENS, NY but don't quote on me.

I also like how they talked about global experiences which i am interested in. This is where you can spend sometime during your clerkship abroad (like China..) and work at their pharmacy that they set up for you. it's pretty cool. but going to super expensive

oh yeah, i looked at their loans..its all unsubsidized. =x

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it is very expensive to go here especially if you are from another state. Rent here has skyrocketed in the past few years while real estate has plateaued. Be prepared to pay on average 1k per month for rent not including utilities.

I wouldn't be too excited about the global rotations..They are very expensive as well..For example if you want to go to Ghana or India, you are expected to pay around 4-5k for boarding and transportation...Don't get me wrong these are great opportunity but it is a huge expense on your already high rent and tuition bill.

All loans are federal now because of Obama plan. You pay around 6-8% APR so only borrow what you need.

onehot as a current touro student can you give any insight on the RP? Like how good of a chance though put on it early have of getting off? and When and if majority actually do get accepted?

Good points. No one can say they WILL be accredited BUT they most likely will be. Some ppl want to see a program accredited b4 actually attending. And i don't think schools get accredited until majority of the graduating class passes their boards. Last year the deposit was $1000 and they didn't require PCAT last year either. So hopefully we will see basically the same thing as last year with the RP.

I see there is a lot of misunderstanding regarding accreditation. Full accreditation has nothing to do with pass rates. Candidate status ensures the students have the same rights as accredited programs. Many schools receive full accreditation BEFORE the inaugural class even graduates. Touro NY will be accredited, if that wasn't possible ACPE wouldn't have advanced the program this far. And, they advanced the status without any hesitation. I hear a lot of people try to scare people with threats of a school not getting accredited. Basically, if a school receives pre candidate status, there are no worries. ACPE wouldn't just string a school along and then finally say, "we changed our mind".

What are the different types of Accreditation status?

Preaccreditation - A newly instituted Doctor of Pharmacy program of a College or School of Pharmacy maybe granted one of two preaccreditation statuses, depending upon its stage of development. In the instance of a newly founded College or School of Pharmacy, the program progresses through both statuses. The standards are the same as those employed for accredited status, however, preaccreditation involves, in large measure, planning in accord with standards and provision of reasonable assurances for a quality outcome.

- Precandidate A new program that has no students enrolled but that meets the eligibility criteria for accreditation may be granted Precandidate accreditation status. The granting of Precandidate status indicates that a college or school’s planning for the Doctor of Pharmacy program has taken into account ACPE standards and guidelines and suggests reasonable assurances of moving to the next step, that of Candidate status. Granting of Precandidate status brings no rights or privileges of accreditation. Full public disclosure by the college or school of pharmacy of the terms and conditions of this accreditation status is required.

- Candidate Following achievement of Precandidate status, and once students have enrolled in a new program, but the program has not had a graduating class, the program may be granted Candidate status. The granting of Candidate status denotes a developmental program that is expected to mature in accord with stated plans and within a defined time period. Reasonable assurances are expected to be provided that the program may become accredited as programmatic experiences are gained, generally, by the time the first class has graduated. Graduates of a class designated as having Candidate status have the same rights and privileges as graduates of an accredited program.

Full Status - The professional degree program of a college or school of pharmacy is granted initial or full accreditation if it has been demonstrated to the satisfaction of ACPE that the program complies with accreditation standards, including the appropriateness of the program’s mission and goals, the adequacy of resources and organization to meet the mission and goals, outcomes which indicate that the mission and goals are being met, and the reasonable assurance of the continued compliance with standards.

All federal loans are available, and always have been. Touro is not ACPE accredited, but it is an accredited college so federal loans are available to you. No private loans are necessary. You can receive up to $8500 subsidized stafford (this may have now changed) and the remaining amount up to tuition is unsubsidized stafford. You are also allowed to take up to your amount in tuition of Grad Plus loans which are also considered a federal loan to pay for living expenses. These loans have always been federal loans even though private banks handled the money before. Now, instead of applying through a bank for your federal loans you apply on a govt website. Grad students are considered independent of their parents regardless if they truly are or not.

for example if your tuition is $37,000:eek:
$8,500 subsidized Stafford
$28,500 unsubsidized Stafford (interest is 6.8% I believe)
then you are allowed up to $37,000 Grad Plus (7.9% interest):eek:
that will cover living expenses. You may take out whatever amount you need UP to $37,000.
Now, if that $37,000 doesn't cover your living expenses (which it should) you can take out private loans.

I hope that answers financial aid questions you may have. :thumbup:

Anyone attend Touro College of Pharmacy in Harlem? What is the commute like?

Also, it's been three years since opening and the school still hasn't been given certification....Anyone know as to why?

I am assuming we will start to hear regarding our admission status as this is the end of the month. Goodluck:!

Anyone attend Touro College of Pharmacy in Harlem? What is the commute like?

Also, it's been three years since opening and the school still hasn't been given certification....Anyone know as to why?

You should probably read the above posts in this thread..they talk about that.

Did letters/emails come out already?? Im just anxiously waiting until tomorrow/thurs.... *sigh*

goodluck on those who have interviews!!! :]

i got accepted at the end of december, and i know it might still be a little early, but im looking for a possible roommate. i want to get a place preferably in the Manhattan area :] i'm from so cal, so it would be nice if someone else was from so cal too :] PM me! :]

Hello,

I got accepted in October and I'm also looking for a roommate. I'm from New Jersey though ,Are you a male or a female.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I got accepted in October and I'm also looking for a roommate. I'm from New Jersey though ,Are you a male or a female.

Join the facebook group. Some accepted students have started to look for roommates. Good luck~~~:)

havn't heard anything yet, but I just applied...........Thinking I applied to late. However my Pharmcas was already completed. I applied to a couple of schools our schools that deadline were in Dec. Good Luck to everyone

havn't heard anything yet, but I just applied...........Thinking I applied to late. However my Pharmcas was already completed. I applied to a couple of schools our schools that deadline were in Dec. Good Luck to everyone

I actually ment for those who interviewed already if they heard anything yet for January.

But no u didn't apply late u should be ok because interviews are over in April. Once they receive your pharmcas stuff u should hear in a week maybe two.

I actually ment for those who interviewed already if they heard anything yet for January.

But no u didn't apply late u should be ok because interviews are over in April. Once they receive your pharmcas stuff u should hear in a week maybe two.

Hi Team,
I was on reserve pool since October and just received my acceptance:). So I am officially off the reserve pool. I will be attending

Goodluck to all:)
and thanks for all the feedbacks you have provided throughout

Congrats :) very happy for you....I'm also on the reserve pool since October, however I haven't heard anything yet for this month's update. I hope I get an email tomorrow.

Congrats :) very happy for you....I'm also on the reserve pool since October, however I haven't heard anything yet for this month's update. I hope I get an email tomorrow.

Thanks - I wish you best of luck and I am confident you will hear today

Goodluck to all..........:)

Thanks - I wish you best of luck and I am confident you will hear today

Goodluck to all..........:)

If you have been accepted or taken off the reserve pool. Please post!!!

Hi Team,
I was on reserve pool since October and just received my acceptance:). So I am officially off the reserve pool. I will be attending

Congrats!!!! So happy for you:) I'm still on reserve tho since November so i guess i''ll just have to be patient. It does dive me hope you got off tho because when i honestly have gotten really restless this month.

Hi Team,

Yeaaaay! Congraaats! :)

Hi Team,

RX2020, congrats~~~ so happy to hear that!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

see you there~~~ ;););)

Has anyone from 1/24 interview got accepted or placed on reserve?

Just want to throw this out there. I was accepted to Touro last year, and decided to opt to a different school, because it was like $8,000 a year cheaper, plus to live in that state was going to be much cheaper as well as warm all year. I'm originally from NY, find myself bored in this area of FL that I am in. Also find myself bored re-taking classes that I already had from my BS.

Point being, if you've got everything you need for Touro, and especially if you've been a tech for a while and know alot of stuff. I'd go Touro.

Sure i'm saving like 40k. I mean I'm sure in the end i'll be happy. But when I think about it, whole 1st year at a traditional school is taking biochem, microbio, "intro to pharmacy" "intro to healthcare delivery" "pharmacist provided care" So it's like a repeat of sciences i've had and did well in, and now need to prove myself again. Then it's classes that if you worked in pharmacy for a long time, your kind of like "Duh!"

I'm kicking myself now, I would have rather only had 2 years lecture, and done 2 years clinical.

Just want to throw this out there. I was accepted to Touro last year, and decided to opt to a different school, because it was like $8,000 a year cheaper, plus to live in that state was going to be much cheaper as well as warm all year. I'm originally from NY, find myself bored in this area of FL that I am in. Also find myself bored re-taking classes that I already had from my BS.

Point being, if you've got everything you need for Touro, and especially if you've been a tech for a while and know alot of stuff. I'd go Touro.

Sure i'm saving like 40k. I mean I'm sure in the end i'll be happy. But when I think about it, whole 1st year at a traditional school is taking biochem, microbio, "intro to pharmacy" "intro to healthcare delivery" "pharmacist provided care" So it's like a repeat of sciences i've had and did well in, and now need to prove myself again. Then it's classes that if you worked in pharmacy for a long time, your kind of like "Duh!"

I'm kicking myself now, I would have rather only had 2 years lecture, and done 2 years clinical.

Thanks for this post. I was very much looking for a post like this. My friend from the bronx went to University of Houston school of pharmacy. Of course, he paid about $8000 or so once he became a residence.

I recently got accepted to Touro and was wondering if someone else from NY got in and decided to go elsewhere.

So in your opinion, go to Touro....

So excited to be going here!! Has anyone who recently got acceptance received their payment instructions yet?

Hi everyone,

Those of you who paid the deposit, did you get any other instructions afterwards? I know that we have to get some immunization shots!! But I don't have any info as of yet. Anyone?!

Hi everyone,

Those of you who paid the deposit, did you get any other instructions afterwards? I know that we have to get some immunization shots!! But I don't have any info as of yet. Anyone?!

You will receive an email of your payment confirmation. Also, double check with the school once you've made the payment.

If I aren't mistaken what I heard from interview, I think you will receive a package of paperwork thru mail during March.

FYI: And for those who has some classes that are still in-progress, you will need to mail your official grades to the school by June (West coast) and the latest is July. (I think East coast schools may be a month earlier than West coast!!!)

Congrats!!!! So happy for you:) I'm still on reserve tho since November so i guess i''ll just have to be patient. It does dive me hope you got off tho because when i honestly have gotten really restless this month.

Thanka you. I wish you best of luck and hope that you get off the reserve pool by the end of this month.....

Can someone from last year advise on their schedule and books they bought
What days were yoy in school and for how long
Thanks

Back in October...I hope they accept more people from the RP by the end of the month

Thanks for this post. I was very much looking for a post like this. My friend from the bronx went to University of Houston school of pharmacy. Of course, he paid about $8000 or so once he became a residence.

I recently got accepted to Touro and was wondering if someone else from NY got in and decided to go elsewhere.

So in your opinion, go to Touro....

I'd say if you can afford it... Go Touro... If you didn't spend alot on undergrad. Just go Touro. You'll make connections in NY, you'll do your rotations in NY, you'll take the boards in NY. (Although I get to scam out of taking compounding because i'll get licensed in FL, work here like 6 months, and then transfer it).

I luckily worked in NY a long time in pharmacy before pharmacy school. I am doing an internship in summer on Long Island, so i've got plenty of connections for when I want to come back.

+ Do you really want to do an extra year of classroom work? Although it is a good GPA booster. Lol.

I'd say if you can afford it... Go Touro... If you didn't spend alot on undergrad. Just go Touro. You'll make connections in NY, you'll do your rotations in NY, you'll take the boards in NY. (Although I get to scam out of taking compounding because i'll get licensed in FL, work here like 6 months, and then transfer it).

I luckily worked in NY a long time in pharmacy before pharmacy school. I am doing an internship in summer on Long Island, so i've got plenty of connections for when I want to come back.

+ Do you really want to do an extra year of classroom work? Although it is a good GPA booster. Lol.
Thanks again. I dont owe anything from my undergrad and interested in taking out loans for pharm school....you are right about connections as others have told me the same thing.....

I'm in. Just paid with my AMEX, reserved for Fall 2012. Yeah. See ya~~~:D;):cool:

I havent received any payment instructions...how long they take. I did confirm my attendance as well as received a response from hilda....

I havent received any payment instructions...how long they take. I did confirm my attendance as well as received a response from hilda....

You will receive an email of payment instructions by Johanna. I think in about one week (in my case) once they receive the confirmed-attending-students from Hilda.

You know those data entry takes some time. Be patient!!! Don't rush otherwise your info may be incorrect. j/k~~~:p

You will receive an email of payment instructions by Johanna. I think in about one week (in my case) once they receive the confirmed-attending-students from Hilda.

You know those data entry takes some time. Be patient!!! Don't rush otherwise your info may be incorrect. j/k~~~:p

Thanks!

When you make a payment double check with them that they received it. In my case, I paid and they took the money out of my acount and later on I received an email that you have not make your payment!!! So I had to send them the confirmation number and a copy of email that the payment was made, so keep your confirmation#.