Touro-COM NY Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know when secondaries go out? and how heavily the screen?

yeah i was wondering the same thing ..also anyone see that the supp app fee is $200 . thats a lot of money!

Members don't see this ad :)
The primary app is screened quite a bit because they only give out secondary apps to people they invite for an interview.

The primary app is screened quite a bit because they only give out secondary apps to people they invite for an interview.

I just got their secondary today, does this mean that I have an interview? It's pretty vague. Any else hear anything?

I just got their secondary today, does this mean that I have an interview? It's pretty vague. Any else hear anything?

Same. From last years thread I think it's as good as an interview invite

i just got their secondary invite too...$200!! the most expensive out of all...

but on the application it says only DO letter under the letter of rec requirement..then i called the admissions office and they told me either MD or DO is acceptable..but Touro-CA accepts both, so i am assuming it is the same for Touro-NY

any idea?

dang,

no secondary for me :(

I know it's early but i'm still a little upset...

this school is in my top 3

Got the secondary...anyone have any stats on # of secondaries/interviews given out, and how many acceptances/matriculants result out of that?

Rejected pre-secondary! Woo!

(Not really a "woo" situation, but ya gotta have some humor in this process!)

Rejected pre-secondary! Woo!

(Not really a "woo" situation, but ya gotta have some humor in this process!)

Sorry to hear.

Did they email/snail mail you a "rejection" letter or what?

they're waiting on my new mcat, what a surprise!

Are y'all getting yer notices and invites through that electronic mail or normal governmental paper mail?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
they're waiting on my new mcat, what a surprise!

I must be really lucky, I indicated I was retaking my MCAT on my primary and was fortunate enough to get invites from LECOM-E and now TUCOM (that is, if a secondary is = to an invite). I don't even know if I should retake it anymore:scared:.

Are y'all getting yer notices and invites through that electronic mail or normal governmental paper mail?

Thanks.

Email. I actually laughed at "governmental paper mail" by the way.:laugh:

Sorry to hear.

Did they email/snail mail you a "rejection" letter or what?

E-mail. Pretty personalized, the gentleman pointed out weaknesses in my application and what I should do to improve. I appreciate the effort, I guess?

I believe the minimums according to admissions over there

are 3.0 gpa's
and 24 mcat; but i'm not sure meeting this automatically means secondary because if the rumors r true that secondary = interview than they probably screen a little more than that.

I was reading through the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book and it says that TouroCOM-NY "holds provisional accreditation from the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation." Does anyone know if this is because they are suspended for something or if it is because they are still a relatively new school (according to this book, they were founded in 2006)?

I was reading through the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book and it says that TouroCOM-NY "holds provisional accreditation from the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation." Does anyone know if this is because they are suspended for something or if it is because they are still a relatively new school (according to this book, they were founded in 2006)?

i think its provisional until they graduate their first class since it is a new school.

any news on the "merger" between NYMC and Touro-NY? I havent heard anything in a while.

any news on the "merger" between NYMC and Touro-NY? I havent heard anything in a while.

As far as I heard the two will continue to operate as independent institutions for now. I don't think that NYMC will be taking on the touro name but instead it will probably be referred to as a "touro institution/Jewish affiliated" under the schools name where it currently says "in the catholic tradition." At least that's what it looks like is going to happen for now. NYMC is a pretty established school being one of the most heavily applied to in the nation. Despite being in the top 5 list of "backup schools", it is still a really good school. I am curious to see what Touro does to it, if anything.

Just got the secondary :) So does anyone know for sure whether or not secondary = interview? I read through parts of last years thread a couple weeks ago and I read this whole thread and it seems kind of vague. I hope it does :D

Just got the secondary :) So does anyone know for sure whether or not secondary = interview? I read through parts of last years thread a couple weeks ago and I read this whole thread and it seems kind of vague. I hope it does :D

On secondary application, it says you will be " notified in writing when supporting documents are received and will be invited for a personal interview when the admission file is complete"

The key word there ^ is WILL. I took this to mean that yes, interview = guaranteed secondary...and they just want us to have our files be completed before we schedule the interview.

If you are still not sure, I'm sure they will have no problem answering this question in email. If you do, let us know what they say :thumbup:.

On secondary application, it says you will be " notified in writing when supporting documents are received and will be invited for a personal interview when the admission file is complete"

The key word there ^ is WILL. I took this to mean that yes, interview = guaranteed secondary...and they just want us to have our files be completed before we schedule the interview.

If you are still not sure, I'm sure they will have no problem answering this question in email. If you do, let us know what they say :thumbup:.

I read the directions too that are in the supplementary application .doc file and they are pretty clear too, I only skimmed it at first haha:

Selected applicants are notified in writing when supporting documents are received and will be invited for a personal interview when the admission file is complete.

(It calls us "selected applicant" already previously in the instructions.)

The recommendations should be forwarded directly to the Director of Admissions prior to the interview date.
Taken all together, I say it's an interview invite. I don't think we get to pick a specific date until they notify us that our file is complete though.

Does limiting the essay to 2 pages mean single or double spaced? I wrote just under a page single-spaced but I don't want my essay to be too short.

it wont be too short as long as you answered the prompt and included everything you wanted to. they put limits on it so that it won't be too long.

can someone post the essay questions please

can someone post the essay questions please

PERSONAL STATEMENT
Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the TouroCOM Mission, Goals or Objectives. Please limit your essay to 2 pages. On a separate sheet of paper, consider addressing a few areas; Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How has your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? Can you express how you were influenced by a shadowing experience?

thank you HockeyDr and congratulates on your Lake Erie acceptance:thumbup:

woohoo a secondary I can get excited about since it seems that we may get an interview

i hope you guys are right about secondary=interview. im feeling really excited about getting this one but i know i really shouldnt get my hopes up

is that 2 pages total or is it more if we address those other points on the prompt?

yea im wonderin this as well. one page for the 1st question and 1 page to address the others?

and are you guys addressing all the questions or just expanding on 1 or 2?

Does limiting the essay to 2 pages mean single or double spaced? I wrote just under a page single-spaced but I don't want my essay to be too short.

I was just assuming it was single-spaced. I didn't even think about it possibly being double spaced until I read this post.

To me, the only time double spacing is used is students handing in essays to their teachers to be graded. The double spacing is useful there, because the teacher can write comments in between the lines.

Or am I wrong?

yea im wonderin this as well. one page for the 1st question and 1 page to address the others?

and are you guys addressing all the questions or just expanding on 1 or 2?

When I first read it, it sounded like these were suggestions of things you could talk about in your personal statement. When I read your post and re-read the prompt... I started thinking that maybe it DID mean a separate sheet of paper for those questions. Now I've thought about it and I think it is just supposed to be one essay because the section on the application is titled "Personal Statement" not "Essay Questions", which to me means that it is one statement. So I'm just writing one essays, and I'm probably going to take my Why DO essay and add things about their school into it because my Why Do essay already answers several of their "suggestion" questions.

EDIT: Also, to continue our previous discussion of whether or not secondary = interview invite, from the CIB:

The primary applications are pre-screened by the committee, and only students who meet the admissions standards are offered a supplemental application and then an interview offer.

Last edited:
When I first read it, it sounded like these were suggestions of things you could talk about in your personal statement. When I read your post and re-read the prompt... I started thinking that maybe it DID mean a separate sheet of paper for those questions. Now I've thought about it and I think it is just supposed to be one essay because the section on the application is titled "Personal Statement" not "Essay Questions", which to me means that it is one statement. So I'm just writing one essays, and I'm probably going to take my Why DO essay and add things about their school into it because my Why Do essay already answers several of their "suggestion" questions.

EDIT: Also, to continue our previous discussion of whether or not secondary = interview invite, from the CIB:

i hope they do mean one essay because i feel like my answer to the first question will basically answer the other questions as well.

just called them and they did say the questions are suggestions to writing one personal statement. i also asked if it should be single or double space and they said it doesnt matter

keepin my fingers crossed that the CIB is true:xf:

Last edited:
i hope they do mean one essay because i feel like my answer to the first question will basically answer the other questions as well.

just called them and they did say the questions are suggestions to writing one personal statement. i also asked if it should be single or double space and they said it doesnt matter

keepin my fingers crossed that the CIB is true:xf:

Excellent, because I just mailed mine in with just one essay :D

the people who sent in their secondaries, you might want to schedule the interview after you interview at your higher choice schools. once u get accepted to touro-ny, it is a 2000$ non refundable deposit due 2 weeks after you hear about your acceptance, which is 2 weeks after your interview.

dont burn all your money

Is anyone else not sure about the neighborhood this is in? Anyone live in NY that can let us know if the school is in an OK part of town. I have heard it is not and am not sure if I will submit my secondary.

I got this secondary, but this place really grabs you by the balls doesn't it.......

anyone know how long I can sit on this one without losing my place?

Is anyone else not sure about the neighborhood this is in? Anyone live in NY that can let us know if the school is in an OK part of town. I have heard it is not and am not sure if I will submit my secondary.

its in harlem...

lol ive been to harlem a few times. if i get accepted to this school, i would definitely consider going. probably best to PM some current students tho

the fact that is in harlem is attractive. you're not going to get an experience like that any where else, and you have the rest of the city at your fingertips

The schools in Harlem, however Harlem is not the place it was portrayed as in the 1980's movies...it is a pretty vibrant place and there are some really cool places to see the real Manhattan and black culture. The schools a few blocks from North central park and a subway ride away from all of the popular places in midtown and everywhere else in NYC. Of course living expenses are going to be very high, especially if you chose to live in Manhattan. If you want to save some money you may want to look at some of the outer boroughs (Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn...not S.I.(public transportation is a nightmare in S.I. besides the ferry...I lived there for 4 years and that was its downfall)), with roommates, and taking the subway in. Living expenses are high in NYC but what do you expect, its NYC! I wouldn't worry too much about the area. Part's of Harlem are still a little scary, but the benefits of the schools location outweigh the negatives.

I live in Midtown Manhattan right now and go to Harlem frequently because quite a few of my friends live there. Sure there are not-so-good areas in Harlem, but that's true for any town or city. I've never felt unsafe in Harlem and I don't personally know anyone who has had problems there either. As long as you don't do foolish things (like drunkenly teeter around alone at 4am) and keep aware of your surroundings, I'd venture to say that it's as safe as anywhere else. If you have any more specific questions about the area feel free to PM me!

I got this secondary, but this place really grabs you by the balls doesn't it.......

anyone know how long I can sit on this one without losing my place?

i was wondering the same thing

Excellent, because I just mailed mine in with just one essay :D

did u do two full pages and answer why this school?

some general question about the secondary (I've been really nit picky after getting one secondary sent back to me because I didn't include a certain date)

Year of interest/student ID number: do we fill this out? it says office use only. Are we suppose to put our AACOMAS or is it referring to an ID number they will issue us and thus leave it blank?

Under where we list the names of our LOR writers, did you guys do one doctor, and two science? or did u just list whoever knew you best even if it was all doctors or all research advisors? I'm not using a premed committee but have both science letters and several physician LORs.