Touro-COM NY Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Along those lines, does anyone know more specific info about waitlisted folks getting offered early decision for the next year, such as statistics? I know if it was offered to me I would accept in a heartbeat

Members don't see this ad.

i withdrew my application earlier this week. I was ranked #28 so hopefully that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
as we are approaching the first day of classes, it makes sense to get more updates regarding the WL movement. So we can plan ahead accordingly. It's been the opposite, however. last update we got was June 6th. Obed used to send about 4 updates each month.

Apparently we will get something by the end of this week.

as we are approaching the first day of classes, it makes sense to get more updates regarding the WL movement. So we can plan ahead accordingly. It's been the opposite, however. last update we got was June 6th. Obed used to send about 4 updates each month.

Obed is no longer working in TOUROCOM...You might want to try reaching out to the Dean of Student affairs, Dr. Jerry Cammarata. He can be reached @ [email protected]

Obed is no longer working in TOUROCOM...You might want to try reaching out to the Dean of Student affairs, Dr. Jerry Cammarata. He can be reached @ [email protected]

yeah yeah I know that. that's why I said "Obed used to". now it's been a month, and no updates. :(

I received an email today saying that there has been no movement.

that's impossible. he email everyone couple days ago and said 5 people declined their acceptances. and I know some people dropped out of the WL. so there should at least be >10 people movement.

If you pm me your email I'll forward it to you.

that's impossible. he email everyone couple days ago and said 5 people declined their acceptances. and I know some people dropped out of the WL. so there should at least be >10 people movement.

If you pm me your email I'll forward it to you.

Hey how come I have not received any e-mail since the one on the 23rd of June? Is that the e-mail you guys are talking about? Did you e-mail Dr. Cammmarata individually to ask questions regarding the movement or was it a mass e-mail?

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Hey how come I have not received any e-mail since the one on the 23rd of June? Is that the e-mail you guys are talking about? Did you e-mail Dr. Cammmarata individually to ask questions regarding the movement or was it a mass e-mail?

I received 2 more since then. It may be due the position on the waitlist, but in general it stated that there has been no movement of the waitlist. If you want PM me and I can forward you the email, but really all it says is that he appreciates all the interest people are showing in Touro and that the waitlist cannot move until people give up their spots.

the last email I received was on June23rd too. here's the email. have any of you received this?? in it, it says 5 people have dropped out.

Many of you have inquired about rank changes. As you know, rank change will occur when seats open at the medical school. I am happy to report that 5 seats have opened and your rank order has increased by 5. You will receive an official email with your specific rank number next Tuesday.

I know this process can produce anxiety and many of you are trying to plan your future and determine what options will be best. Although the final decision is yours, let me try to be of help.

1. If your rank number is very high (over 50), and knowing that we have 1 more month to go before school opens, there is not a likelihood you will receive a seat in the class of 2015.
2. If your rank number is 30 to 50, there is a possibility you may have an opportunity to start your medical education this year - a reserved possibility.
3. If your rank number is 1 to 30. There is a good possibility of starting your medical education this year. Be mindful, again, the class of 2015 is currently full and drops must take place to open seats.

Having given you the above, perhaps the following option may appeal to you:
1. You may wish to continue with your science studies over the next academic year and enter the Masters of Science Program in Interdisciplinary Studies at Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine. This program will provide significant academic and clinical skills which will aid you in negotiating the curricula of the first year of medical school.

If this option is appealing, please contact – [email protected] (646 981 4612)

The office of Student Affairs is always available to help.

The very best,

I'm really tired of all this uncertainty.

Members don't see this ad :)
the last email I received was on June23rd too. here's the email. have any of you received this?? in it, it says 5 people have dropped out.

I'm really tired of all this uncertainty.

The june 23 email sound like there's going to be movement of about 30 on the waitlist but according to the two emails drgioiadds received there's been no movement since the 5 spots openned up. so basically there's been no movements for the last two weeks at the very least. Now i'm not clear whether those 5 spots has been filled or not, since we didn't receive that 'official email'. It sounds like it was firmly openned. i'm guessing it was filled already and we're waiting for more seats now?? I know it was 4th july for them ...... is it fair to say that this year there's been a lot less drop outs or is it too early to say that??

The june 23 email sound like there's going to be movement of about 30 on the waitlist but according to the two emails drgioiadds received there's been no movement since the 5 spots openned up. so basically there's been no movements for the last two weeks at the very least. Now i'm not clear whether those 5 spots has been filled or not, since we didn't receive that 'official email'. It sounds like it was firmly openned. i'm guessing it was filled already and we're waiting for more seats now?? I know it was 4th july for them ...... is it fair to say that this year there's been a lot less drop outs or is it too early to say that??

all I can say is I wish we were given our updated rank numbers regularly. I don't care if anyone drops out or not, I just wanna know where I stand. I've been the freaking number 3X for a month now, and I know it's not my correct rank number, cause I'm CERTAIN people have dropped out.

I wonder is this the first year that they took 30 students from their masters program? cause if it is, then the "less drop outs" makes sense.

just an update. I contacted Dr. Cammarata and apparently the director of admissions is Mr. Joseph Perez. so he takes care of everything. I asked about my rank number. Unfortunately, my rank number has changed by 6 people in the past month. That confirmed that I won't receive an acceptance this year cause I'm still in the 30s (a low 30 now).

On a positive side, they offered me a seat for next year's class. I must make a 2000$ deposit by July15th.

just an update. I contacted Dr. Cammarata and apparently the director of admissions is Mr. Joseph Perez. so he takes care of everything. I asked about my rank number. Unfortunately, my rank number has changed by 6 people in the past month. That confirmed that I won't receive an acceptance this year cause I'm still in the 30s (a low 30 now).

On a positive side, they offered me a seat for next year's class. I must make a 2000$ deposit by July15th.

Congrats! Me too, how should we pay?

Congrats! Me too, how should we pay?

congrats to you too. well once you send your signed deferment, someone will contact you on how to pay.

lets say you pay 2K, and you get off the WL this year. do you have to pay another 2K?

are you gonna accept the offer? do you think you have a chance to get off the WL this year?

congrats to you too. well once you send your signed deferment, someone will contact you on how to pay.

lets say you pay 2K, and you get off the WL this year. do you have to pay another 2K?

are you gonna accept the offer? do you think you have a chance to get off the WL this year?

Congrats! I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you this year, but I can't wait for next year! As far as money goes, once you send in your form, they should send you your student ID# and instructions on how to log on to their web portal. They use a service called QuickPay to handle all monies. On there you will make your "enrollment deposit". I assume in the fall they will contact you in regards to how to make the "tuition deposit" which is an additional thousand dollars. All of this money will be then applied to your first semesters tuition.

I'm assuming though that you won't be paying any more. I assume this since they are giving you a deferment form, which seems to me the same as an early acceptance.

I'm really excited that you were offered the spot though because I have been crossing my fingers for you. I think it's great that more Canadian students are seeking a medical degree in the DO field. Just a question though- do you plan on returning to Canada post training?

Again, congrats and I look forward to meeting you next fall!

Hey guys,

I was wondering how those offers for next year were given out to you? Did they call? Im in the 20's on the WL and would LOVE to have that offered to me...

Thanks!!

Congrats! I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you this year, but I can't wait for next year! As far as money goes, once you send in your form, they should send you your student ID# and instructions on how to log on to their web portal. They use a service called QuickPay to handle all monies. On there you will make your "enrollment deposit". I assume in the fall they will contact you in regards to how to make the "tuition deposit" which is an additional thousand dollars. All of this money will be then applied to your first semesters tuition.

I'm assuming though that you won't be paying any more. I assume this since they are giving you a deferment form, which seems to me the same as an early acceptance.

I'm really excited that you were offered the spot though because I have been crossing my fingers for you. I think it's great that more Canadian students are seeking a medical degree in the DO field. Just a question though- do you plan on returning to Canada post training?

Again, congrats and I look forward to meeting you next fall!

Thanks bn270. congrats on your acceptance too. I would assume you're in for this year. right? how many different deposits have you made? a 2K and a what?

about returning to Canada, I think it's too early to decide, but all I know is my returning to Canada will help promote DO in here, but again I think too many factors will affect my decision such as which country will be more beneficial financially etc.

thanks again and hope to see you too next year!!

Hey guys,

I was wondering how those offers for next year were given out to you? Did they call? Im in the 20's on the WL and would LOVE to have that offered to me...

Thanks!!

my letter was dated on june30th, I don't know how they select students. but ask them to see if you've been selected.

Thanks UBCvan!

...would those of you who were offered spot be willing to share your rank numbers?:)

Thanks UBCvan!

...would those of you who were offered spot be willing to share your rank numbers?:)

Hey UBCVAn... Congrats from a fellow int'l student. I hope that makes up for the Canuck's game 7 :D.. I really liked that pic btw, you know the one that went viral...

I just got the e-mail today as well after spending $790 yesterday on MD and DO applications for 2012.. Arghhh!!! Anyways really excited to have been accepted especially with my gf living 5 mins away from the school.

Ashkarch: I was ranked in the low 30s (30-35) before the supposedly 5 people movements (June 23 e-mail) that never happened.. so I guess I was ranked in the mid 20s.. I think the pick is based not on the rank but is at the Dean's discretion since there is somebody ranked 14 on the Facebook waitlist page who didn't get the e-mail yet.

Hey UBCVAn... Congrats from a fellow int'l student. I hope that makes up for the Canuck's game 7 :D.. I really liked that pic btw, you know the one that went viral...

I just got the e-mail today as well after spending $790 yesterday on MD and DO applications for 2012.. Arghhh!!! Anyways really excited to have been accepted especially with my gf living 5 mins away from the school.

Ashkarch: I was ranked in the low 30s (30-35) before the supposedly 5 people movements (June 23 e-mail) that never happened.. so I guess I was ranked in the mid 20s.. I think the pick is based not on the rank but is at the Dean's discretion since there is somebody ranked 14 on the Facebook waitlist page who didn't get the e-mail yet.

Yeah I was in the 40s, no idea how they selected me, but I'm not complaining :D

Thanks. congratz 2 u 2. well I'm not so proud of what happened after game 7. lol. so are you gonna attend touro, or you'll send your secondaries for next year?

I was also ranked in the low 30s.

I got the email today also and my rank # was 82 from Obed's last update before he left. Obed did mention about the early acceptance option early in the wait list process and he said that it's up to the Dean's decision to make the offer based on each case. There's no definitive # as to how many seats will be given out.
Congratz to all who got accepted/offered. See you guys in August of 2012.

Thanks bn270. congrats on your acceptance too. I would assume you're in for this year. right? how many different deposits have you made? a 2K and a what?

I think I made totally $ 3,000 deposit. $ 2000 is non-refundable and $ 1,000 is refundable.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted :D

Hey all... I applied to this school last cycle and unfortunately I never heard any word from them. It may be beacuse I applied in February because my stats are average (27 MCAT and 3.5 GPA, 3.2 sGPA), but they never even sent me a rejection letter or even a secondary application. Do you have to be qualified to receive a secondary app or something? They should at least tell you that you're rejected lol.

I'm applying again in the upcoming cycle. Does anyone know the average stats of the matriculated students? I retook my MCAT today so hopefully I get a boost, and I'll be doing a Master's program starting in August. Also, for those that are in the school right now, how does it compare to other DO schools? Thanks.

Yeah I am starting this year. For deposits, you make two. The 2k acceptance deposit and the 1k enrollment deposit. The 2k is non refundable, and the 1k is if you decide to go somewhere else prior to the first day of class. But, the good news is that you're not just kissing that money goodbye. That money gets applies to your first semesters tuition which is nice.

Also, and I know it's early but remember this, this year they offered an intro to anatomy course which started a month before the first day of class. I'm not in it because I didn't have the 1k to pay for it, but I have heard from my fellow classmates that they like it a lot and they think it'll better prepare them for fall. Just some things to think about :)

Congrats on your acceptance, even though it sucks you have a year to wait :( But I suppose on the bright side, you don't have to sweat it out for another year!

I got the offer yesterday as well. At least I know I'm in!!!!:D

my rank was in the teens, i'm still hoping for movement.... but this is definitely a good thing!

congrats to all others!!

Does anyone here know when does Fall 2011 semester end? I need to book a round trip flight soon... thx

Congrats! Has anyone received a email yet regarding how to pay the deposit?

I received the email then the actual letter in the mail. It said in the letter that the response form is attached but mine doesnt have one with it. So I emailed and requested one to be sent to me. Scanned and emailed it back still no direction on how to submit the 2k deposit to hold my seat for next year.

I received the email then the actual letter in the mail. It said in the letter that the response form is attached but mine doesnt have one with it. So I emailed and requested one to be sent to me. Scanned and emailed it back still no direction on how to submit the 2k deposit to hold my seat for next year.

Contact the bursar/DOA. They will need to send you your student ID number and then you will log onto Touro's online web portal and make the deposit.

Contact the bursar/DOA. They will need to send you your student ID number and then you will log onto Touro's online web portal and make the deposit.

I emailed Mr. Perez and Mr. Berrios yesterday and the day before with the scanned form. Hopefully I get an answer today and make my move. If not i will call on Monday, thanks for the info though :)

is the payment online? or is it via mail? If its via mail that is scary bc the 15th is fast approaching!

They want the payment online. If you haven't heard anything yet from them, I would obsessively call them until I got an answer!

Anyone know if any movements are going to happen any time soon?

Anyone know if any movements are going to happen any time soon?

I have a feeling like we won;t have any more to be honest. School starts August first for us and really since early July we have had 5 or less new additions to our class. :(

hey, has anyone who was offered admission to the class of 2016 gotten any info since paying the deposit? All I got was the automatic bursar confirmation

people got accepted for the class of 2016 already?!?!

hey, has anyone who was offered admission to the class of 2016 gotten any info since paying the deposit? All I got was the automatic bursar confirmation

No haven't heard anything after but I got a call on Friday from the new admissions guy, Perez asking me if I was interested in the school. I was like WTF you talkin bout, I already paid a $2000 deposit for next year's class LOL. I asked him if we need to take any additional steps and he said not rite now. He will update us by e-mail if there is anything we need to do. Hope that helps.

Haha, I didnt get a call. Was it by mistake?

We are in the process of switching directors of admission. That probably accounts for some of the inconsistencies/confusion.

I heard that a few ppl got a call on Friday from Touro offering them provisional acceptance for 5 weeks, in case if anyone dropped out after 5 weeks they get the seat. I got a missed phone call from them also on Friday but when I called back, no one was there to answer. Hopefully it's a phone call from Mr. Perez asking if I'm still interested (even though I did pay my 2k for next year) or else I feel really stupid right now for sleeping through it.:confused: