Touro - Mare Island Class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all - congrats on getting in!

I am a first year at Touro and loving it! I moved across the country into an apartment that I hadn't seen before with one of my classmates - I wouldn't change a thing. My place is about 6.5 minutes from campus, is brand new and makes me feel like I live at a resort! If you plan on living in Vallejo, the apartment complexes are pretty good. I live at Broadstone (let me know if you are interested - good deals for 2 bedrooms - I can help out), but I also have friends at Sundance and Blue Rock. If you are moving into these places you really don't need to visit first - save the money.

A couple other things....

We use our laptops a lot - but don't feel like you need to get a new one. If yours works, just bring that.

With your classes changing, I would wait to buy any books until you get a list from the school. You will want to have them, but it is ok to wait. Your big sibs will be a ton of help with this.

Dorms.... not much good is said about them - and it is hard to get out of your contract, so check it out first to be sure.

I know how hard it is to wait for all of the info to show up from the school, but seriously - you don't have to worry about a thing!

PM me if you have any questions=)

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking into those apt complexes. They look really nice. I'm down to split a two bedroom. I really just want to live close to campus, close to my classmates, and just enjoy these two years.

I feel as though I am revealing who I am but what the heck, we will all know each other in a few months anyway. I started the MPH program three weeks ago. There are about 7 of us that are doing the MPH/DO right now. I asked if anyone else was on SDN and received a lot of blank looks except for one that looked at it every so often.

The program is great so far. The classes are informative and the staff is as great as it is varied. They are awesome and know their stuff. Well, I don't really know what you were looking for in asking about it, so PM me if you want more info or just ask on this thread.

-WC

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious about the MPH program. If I were accepted into the program would I start in April? What benefits do you expect from the dual degree? Which track are you considering and why? How many credits are you taking now?
Thanks!

wow.. that didn't take long....

I am taking 12 credits this semester. 4 classes, one on each night of the week except Friday. Some of the students are only taking 2 or 3 of the classes while most of us are taking all 4. Each class goes from 6-9 at night for this semester, but they were talking about switching it up for the summer. I don't know if they are accepting students starting in the summer, I don't see why they wouldn't.

I am doing the Global track, which for this semester, only differs from the community based track by one class. I started the program being interested in Latin American health, but the more I talk to professors and doctors, the more I think that the Masters will help in other ways, such as being more effective for organizations or even a better looking qualification to juice up the ol' resume. The other plus is the focus into more of the psychology of treating patients and impacting the surrounding communal health, or even just simply learning of the health crises in other countries. The school also informed us that the biostatistics and epidemiology courses combine with information in some of the DO classes, along with some of the credits satisfying both the masters and the DO.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for all the info on Martinez!
Too bad looking this early is a little futile since nothing is available.
I did see some nice-looking places at Broadstone Sterling in vallejo that had access to a gym and pool, Touro's workout facilities were a little piddly for someone as active as myself.
We should keep the dialogue going so we can work out logistics and liklihood of rooming together come August 1st.
BTW I'm 26 y/o female-married, like music, like cleanliness, no pets...in fact, maybe I should get some musicians together so we can have Saturday de-stressing jam sessions! Overall, looking for some older roomies (27-30) preferably female, but open to co-ed.

I make the drive from Martinez to campus EVERY DAY. It takes 24 minutes from my door to the parking space on campus. I leave the house at about 7:00 am and leave campus either at 5:00pm on non-exam weeks, or at 12 midnight during exam blocks. The only thing that would slow you up is that every now and then the bridge that goes across the Carquinez Strait (the body of water that separates Vallejo from Mare Island) is raised to allow passage of a boat. This can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes and is a real pain in the ischial tuberosities. It's rare, however, and I've only caught a boat 2 times since August. There is a back way to go, if you know it, and you don't have to wait for the boat.

I really love living in Martinez. It's far enough from campus that you can get some emotional distance from school (especially after exams, when you just can't take it anymore), but close enough that you can pop on up to the library to meet your anatomy group or whatever in 25 minutes, which if you know the bay area traffic, is REALLY FAST. Also, Martinez is close enough to civilization (one subway ride away from downtown SF, a 40-minute drive to the beach) that you don't feel sequestered from the "real world". Martinez itself is really nice, and small (36,000 people), but very very quiet and nice. Yes, you could live in closer locales, but unlike Vallejo and Benicia, there is NO "ghetto" part to Martinez. They have soap box races for kids down the downtown mainstreet during the 4th of July, and they ship in snow for the kids to sled on during Christmas.

Hope this helps!

This helps a lot! Thanks! Too many choices...I'll wake up tomorrow with a lightbulb over my head.

Congrats to the Class of 2011! Enjoy your time off before you start up. And good luck to those interviewing, just be yourself and everything will definitely work out.

Just wanted to make a quick note on an available housing opportunity. I am into the Napa/Wine Country thing, and I'm also a First Year at TUCOM. The apartments are brand new with lots of extras. Also, I'm a girl and I feel really good about living here. My commute is about 12-15 minutes from my apartment door to the parking lot of school. If you're interested, PM me and I can tell you more about it & definitely hook you up.

Congrats again everyone!

Hello, everyone,

I am interviewing in Touro-MI on Tuesday and am currently in town already. I was wondering if you guys thought it would be feasible for me to attend a lecture as a guest on Monday just to get the "feel" of the school and campus prior to the interview. Not only is Touro a great medical school with excellent hospital affiliations but I am also totally in love with the city and northen cali mentality and would enjoy spending the next 4 years of my life here.

Any thoughts? Anyone willing to suggest who to speak to or willing to give a potential student a tour?

Thanks a bunch!

GProteinStar

I saw a bunch of interviewees come out of the admin office today... I was the one in the red sweatshirt trying to hand in a deposit for a ski trip at the receptionist desk....

So, how did it go? .. I talked to a few of you and they said it went well....

Gproteinstar did you go to a class and how did you like it if you went?

anyway, congratulations on finishing the interview!

-WC

Hello to All,
I have been reading the posts and decided, it would be best to participate.
Looking forward to meeting you all this summer. Anybody have information about 3 br houses/apts for rent in NAPA? I have a family and Napa seems like a great place for family. I do have a concern with clinical rotations and commuting to the city or around the area. ( :confused: or moving)
Anybody hear any word concerning the proposed curriculum changes? Maybe the folks that just visited and interviewed...Good luck to all the interviewees!
Congrats to all!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, everyone,

I am interviewing in Touro-MI on Tuesday and am currently in town already. I was wondering if you guys thought it would be feasible for me to attend a lecture as a guest on Monday just to get the "feel" of the school and campus prior to the interview. Not only is Touro a great medical school with excellent hospital affiliations but I am also totally in love with the city and northen cali mentality and would enjoy spending the next 4 years of my life here.

Any thoughts? Anyone willing to suggest who to speak to or willing to give a potential student a tour?

Thanks a bunch!

GProteinStar

The reason no one is anwering you is that we have exam blocks next week and we're all extremely busy and stressed out. Have a good interview experience, and don't take it too personally if the students don't seem bright and shiny. We're great people; we just haven't slept, we're all sick and we have 10 exams to study for.

I saw a bunch of interviewees come out of the admin office today... I was the one in the red sweatshirt trying to hand in a deposit for a ski trip at the receptionist desk....

So, how did it go? .. I talked to a few of you and they said it went well....

Gproteinstar did you go to a class and how did you like it if you went?

anyway, congratulations on finishing the interview!

-WC

Thanks for asking! I think the interview went well. I was a little nervous at first but relaxed as time elapsed. I really hope the school looks favorably upon my interview and overall application because I completely fell in love with the campus. :love:

I didn't see you in the administration office. If this occured at the end of interview I might have already left to be shuttled back to Quality Inn.

Unfortunately, I was not able to attend a class on Monday, although the campus tour included a stop at a lecture hall during class time. It seemed like everyone on campus is very close-knit which I think is superbly conducive to learning.

Good Luck on your finals! :luck:

The reason no one is anwering you is that we have exam blocks next week and we're all extremely busy and stressed out. Have a good interview experience, and don't take it too personally if the students don't seem bright and shiny. We're great people; we just haven't slept, we're all sick and we have 10 exams to study for.

Thanks for letting me know. Yesterday during the tour we stopped by the library and I noticed one or two students passed out on tables.

In regard to the students being bright and shiny, I thought the contrary. Your campus had the friendliest bunch of students I have seen at any of my interviews... and I have been to four so far! :)

Good Luck on your finals! :luck:

Thats great ... I am so glad you had a great interview! Touro was defintely the hardest interview that I had, but as you said, the campus, students, and staff were the friendliest.

Hi All,

I know it's early, but when does the school year calendar come out? I'm a planner!!

I would speculate that us incoming 1st years will begin orientation on August 1st with classes beginning August 6th? Does this sound about right?

Thanks!
Stephanie

DUDE..... WHEN IS THE FAFSA DUE? lol

I almost finished it, but hot diggety damn! Help me! lol. I've never filled out this bad boy before, hahahaahaahahahahahahahaha/ ok, off to the gym.

Steffi, that is the orientation date that I have, the start of classes, I assume then would be the 6th .... but I don't know.

Hi All,

I too am a planner and emailed Dr. Haight about orientation. At my interview he said historically orientation was the first Wednesday of August but that the faculty are currently discussing changing it to two weeks later this year. He also said we would probably be able to find out in late February.

And in case anyone is ineterested-Financial Aid packets will be mailed out next week but all the forms are online.

Howdy folks,

Currently I live at 5 N Daniels Ave in Vallejo. Here's a link.

B street (North of Hitchborn) is one of the nicest older streets in Vallejo that a med student could afford. And there some other nice little pockets in this older section of Vallejo. And as you can see on the map, you can't get any closer to school without actually living on Mare Island.

There nicer, newer places in American Canyon, Benicia, and Eastern Vallejo, but they are more sterile and characterless - but some people want that.

Hope the info helps,

Bryan
Thanks for the info!! Any one living in the vallejo or mare island area wants to share your rental price? I searched on several website and saw that the price ranged from $300 to $800 for a single room, so I'm just wondering how much do most Touro students pay for the rent? Thanks~

I just wanted to share the good news!!!! I just got an email from Dr. Haight indicating that I am admitted. I am soooooooooooo excited! :D

Thanks to all of you guys that calmed my nerves down. I will be attending TUCOM-MI!! Woohoo!!

:cool:

Hi guys,
I sent in my Response form and check last week 1/27, and still haven't heard from the admissions office to confirm receipt. I tracked the mail, and it was received in vallejo on the 29th. Should I be worried? I emailed Lynn Huckle at 10am this morning, but I don't want to hound her too much. Last time I emailed her, her reply got spam blocked by my email server and I called her after she had apparently also responded to my email....
I really want to make sure this happens! I don't want them to rescind my acceptance. WHAT SHOULD I DO??

Hi guys,
I sent in my Response form and check last week 1/27, and still haven't heard from the admissions office to confirm receipt. I tracked the mail, and it was received in vallejo on the 29th. Should I be worried? I emailed Lynn Huckle at 10am this morning, but I don't want to hound her too much. Last time I emailed her, her reply got spam blocked by my email server and I called her after she had apparently also responded to my email....
I really want to make sure this happens! I don't want them to rescind my acceptance. WHAT SHOULD I DO??

TAKE A DEEP BREATH.

They don't usually send responses. Wait until next week and call Lynn again. Don't worry about "bugging" her; it's her JOB to take calls. They CERTAINLY aren't going to rescind your acceptance! Realize that the admissions office, in addition to handling the college of Medicine, also handles College of Pharmacy, Education, Physician Assistant, and MPH program admissions. They're busy. There's a LOT of paperwork. There's NOT a LOT of them working in there.

Try to RELAX and enjoy the next 6 months. Do something fun, because once the madness starts, you'll PINE AWAY for free time and you won't get it.

They got your stuff. Call them next week. CONGRATULATE yourself for getting in! DO NOT STUDY A THING. Fish, play golf, play racquetball, take a nap in a hammock or do any one of a million other things you won't be doing in 6 months!

TAKE A DEEP BREATH.

They don't usually send responses. Wait until next week and call Lynn again. Don't worry about "bugging" her; it's her JOB to take calls. They CERTAINLY aren't going to rescind your acceptance! Realize that the admissions office, in addition to handling the college of Medicine, also handles College of Pharmacy, Education, Physician Assistant, and MPH program admissions. They're busy. There's a LOT of paperwork. There's NOT a LOT of them working in there.

Try to RELAX and enjoy the next 6 months. Do something fun, because once the madness starts, you'll PINE AWAY for free time and you won't get it.

They got your stuff. Call them next week. CONGRATULATE yourself for getting in! DO NOT STUDY A THING. Fish, play golf, play racquetball, take a nap in a hammock or do any one of a million other things you won't be doing in 6 months!

Thanks for putting it into perspective. I will most certainly take your advice MJ1878. PHEW. RELAX...haha..er. Breathe. I'M IN!!:)

I was concerned after sending in that hefty deposit myself. Lynn e-mailed back and said that Sue Smith, the bursar, had been ill this week and receipts would go out next week. Have a good weekend!

Thought some of you would find this article on Touro interesting:

Opportunity Island

Don't hold your breath . . . change comes slowly, but the possibilities are exciting.
hopping

Thought some of you would find this article on Touro interesting:

Opportunity Island

Don't hold your breath . . . change comes slowly, but the possibilities are exciting.
hopping

Thanks for sharing! That looks pretty sweet. I'll be a third year by the time they finish up but I like it alot!

hey everybody! i just submitted my fafsa a few days ago, and wondering if any of you know what to do next!
six more months til med school starts! aaahhhhhhhhhh!! :D

way on the ball with the FAFSA..... so today, those of us in the MPH program were discussing ages and I was wondering the ages of people on this thread.... I am 23, while the others range from 22 - 31 .... just curious!

Sheesh..... you guys aren't helping out my cause.... I got a lot of crap for being one of the youngest.... seems as though it may continue .... :laugh:

it's okay...i know how you feel. that's how it was for me when i was teaching...especially when i got it from my students! i'm sure it won't matter when we start classes though...hang in there! =)

Sheesh..... you guys aren't helping out my cause.... I got a lot of crap for being one of the youngest.... seems as though it may continue .... :laugh:

i'm 23 if that helps ;) i was always 2 years younger than my grade growing up so i understand!

So it's official! I finally paid the 2,000 acceptance deposit and it went through! I'll be moving out to Vallejo on May 26 from Texas. Should be a fun drive. So how many of us newcomers are there? Any of you play soccer? I hope they have a soccer team on campus b/c I love to play! I am so excited!

Maybe bth could answer - I know there are three swimming pools on the island - are any of them operational? I would also like more information about the third year rotation options and the process of finding a preceptor.
G-protein - what are you going to do for two months? Do you know where you're going to live already?
Just curious.

I don't have a place yet but have started looking at Craig's list. I am thinking of living in Napa County - they have nice apartments there or renting a house or condo somewhere in Vallejo or Benicia.

I currently teach chemistry at an inner city school and I know medical school will be tough, so I definitely plan on relaxing for the two months prior to classes. When I move I'll probably try to do a lot of hiking, wine-tasting, and trips to Mt. Shasta and Lake Tahoe. Perhaps my husband and I will also do a scenic drive along the beatiful coast of Cali. When I was there for the interview I went down to Monterey Bay with a good friend of mine and it was unbelievable! :)

The whole stretch of 1 is amazing. You should plan on Big Sur. Tahoe is great, that's where I live right now and the spring/summer is almost limitless adventure time. Dogs love it too, if that's your dog in the pic.
Plenty of info on the area if you're interested.

I heard there were some Stanislaus stater's admitted this cycle. Any fellow Stan people on sdn? pm me

Should be exciting moving all the way from Florida! As far as I can tell (i've paid the deposit) I'll be in Vallejo in Late June/Early July!

wow... thanks for the replies! .... someone told me that the oldest in the MS-1 class right now is 52.... good days!

oh, I forgot to post my age.

23, and from Florida.

I'm not the only one from the east coast :)

We need to get this thread kickin'. I hope we have a fun class!