Touro - Mare Island Class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No soccer players, huh? :(

I think I'll be moving into Blue Rock Village. Anyone else moving there or currently live there?? It seems a bit further away from campus than some of the houses I have seen for rent on Craig'slist but I am taking SotaBGirl's advice.

I'm also starting to wonder about what kind of laptop to buy... Any suggestions?

Have a sweet weekend!

Members don't see this ad.

Has everyone gotten their financial aid packets? I have whatever was given me during my interview, and that's it. Can't stand the fafsa website! It times out on me and doesn't save anything (even after 45 mins) Yikes! It'll be done today, hopefully....

Mine haven't come in yet either, but I just paid my deposit this week. Any news on orientation? I know it's kind of early for that question but just wondering...

Members don't see this ad :)
I play soccer. I don't know if there's an IM team on campus.

I filed my fin. aid already. You have to get a pin # from the fafsa website. It will be mailed to you. You can then fill out the fafsa online. Then fill out the fin aid sheets on the TUCOM website. Also, apply for the GRAD PLUS loan through a chosen lender. The list of TUCOM's lenders is on the website. I chose T.H.E/Northstar. You'll have to apply for the GRAD PLUS directly with the lender.

I played soccer in elementary school, does that count?

I heard there were some Stanislaus stater's admitted this cycle. Any fellow Stan people on sdn? pm me

Hey someone else is from Stanislaus!!! woo!! me too!

by the way I am 23 and from Cali

Our first year class, a few 2nd years and some of the PAs have mens and coed soccer teams going right now. They are in leagues on the island and compete against local teams. I would encourage anyone interested to go to a practice to see what its all about! We also have a huge football game in the fall, a tennis tournament, dance team, basketball 3 on 3 and all-stars team (which plays UC Davis), climbing club, biking club... basically anything you want to do - you can! Some of us are even doing a triathlon in May.

Thanks SotaBGirl! That is so awesome that the students at Touro-MI are so active. Wow! Triathlon! That sounds pretty sweet. I am so excited about next year and can't wait to live in California.

BTW... what kind of laptops do you recommend??

Hope you guys have a sweet weekend!

Damn, that is awesome that there is so much to do!

Hmmm... laptops. First I say, don't get a new one unless you need it. Second I say, back up your info often - sucks when all of your work and notes are lost... really sucks. We do use them everyday, so you need a computer that is dependable.

As for types... I have an Acer and really like it. It is a tablet, which I don't use the function a ton, but when I need it - very useful. Many of my classmates have apples and a few dells, but there hasn't been an overwhelming majority or favorite that I have noticed. The pharm students seem to have all Sony VIAO... not sure why. Ok... this post was not that helpful - time for sleep. Actually, before sleep I just went and set up a poll for my class to see what we all really have and like - I will post the results next weekend. Now sleep.

when do we have to start thinking about finding apartments/roommates?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already been browsing craigslist, though it's pretty impractical since I'm not moving until July. Probably really start looking in May/June. I only live a few hours away so I'll most likely head over to check some places out. I'm most interested in a place really close and will be looking for room mates as well.
SotaBGirl-or anybody- do you know if any of the pools on the island are open?

Is there a particular apartment complex where a lot of students live?

BTW, thx for the link to the other appt. SotaB

Also, what gyms are in the area?

The one on campus was a little lacking :p

The complexes that have more than a couple students that I know of from my class are: Broadstone www.broadstoneliving.com/STERLING/sterlingvillage.html (5 students), Sundance (at least 6 students), Blue Rock Village (5 students) www.brebluerockvillage.com/, Spyglass Apartments (4) www.apartmentcities.com/California/d/spyglass_CA.asp There are also groups of students that have rented homes on the island, but I am not sure how they hook that up.

When to start looking - about 2 months before you want to move in=) Before this, most places will not now the status of their vacancies.

As for pools on the island - I don't know of any, but all of the apartments I have listed above have them, 24 hour fitness has a dirty one and then there are a few local pools. I swim at Cunningham for $3 and it is beautiful, but there is also another local pool that I haven't tried out yet.

For gyms: 24 hour fitness is about $30/mo depending on the special you get when you join, they sometimes give deals to Touro students. Lakeridge Fitness is $30 a month, but I believe you can sign up with another person for the same amount. Our gym up at school needs a ton of work, but it is a priority for our newly elected officers - so hopefully we will be seeing a change in the near future. Many of the apartments have gyms as well - Broadstone's gym is great for me, but my roommate wishes there was a better selection of weights.

Thanks for the information SotaBGirl!

Anybody know how large the patios are in blue rock village apartments? I currently have pretty new patio furniture I'd like to keep if at all possible. I'm pretty sure that's where I will end up.

If anyone has any neat pictures of Touro, send me some or post on this thread so I can use as the picture for the new myspace group.

Thanks! Oh and send your myspace usernames so I can add you as well. So far I only have digital01.

If anyone has any neat pictures of Touro, send me some or post on this thread so I can use as the picture for the new myspace group.

Thanks! Oh and send your myspace usernames so I can add you as well. So far I only have digital01.
Probably pointless to be anonymous on this forum anymore, eh? How about you make the Myspace account open to anyone and make it clear in the "who I want to meet" section that matriculating students are the only ones who should apply. It should be pretty obvious who are impostors.
I personally would like to continue asking dumb questions in anonymity:)

Good idea - I will give that a try although I am not sure how to do it...

Update: the group has been made public so you can add yourselvese while remaining anonymous on SDN. I tried a search and it's not popping up yet, but I am guessing within 24 hours it will be available. The group name is Touro-MI or you can follow the link above! :)

screw anonymity!... just kidding ... really though, it won't be so anonymous when we are all in OMM lab poking around on each other .... whoo hoo .. Good days to come!:laugh:

oh .. almost forgot ... do you still need pics of Touro for mySpace?

Yes please, if you have them. I have a picture of the bay taken from Sausalito, but none of the campus itself! :)

Is anyone going to be around campus on 3/7 (Wed)? I finally got a vacation period and will get to visit the school again for a day. I'm probably gonna email Lynn to see if I can have a student guide or something...hopefully no one will be going through exams.

West Coaster, how are your classes going? Do you like the campus and professors???

Not I, I wont be back out there till April or May when I have to find a place to live.

Classes are great ... we have a big midterm tonight ... and I have just started to freak out ... so I am taking my break on SDN ... :eek: ... uh .. I'll be around and be more than able to help out any way I can ..... if you need anything, just ask! .... I know where everyhting is now .. but not as well accustomed as a first year .... :rolleyes:

I got my response from Lynn and she said they only do tours on Mon and Tues. I'm hoping to come up on Tues but we'll see how that works. If all else fails, I'll probably be the lost student on campus wondering around campus...you probably won't miss me :D

I really want to check out the dorms and the classes, but I gotta get approval from the departments first before I can.

Are you currently in Cali swtblubird? I am seriously counting the days till the big move!! I am so excited about next year!! :)

I will be on campus if you need anything.

Hey SotaBgirl...

Actually, I'm from Hawaii, but I've taken vacation time from work so I thought I'd travel up to see the school & visit family. I'm really shooting for Tuesday since Lynn says they don't have tours on Wednesday. I don't know, I guess we'll have to see how everything works out. Who knows, maybe I can meet both you and West Coaster then =)

Earth to Amber, are you out there? I'll bug you Wednesday...

Kenneth!! ... why don't you go ahead and use my real name !.... ok, so you did.... what do you need?

hey i was wondering if any of u guys also interviewed at western? how come u guys choose touro-MI over western (besides location). both schools seem to have comprable match lists. was it the vibe u got from the students or faculty? something about the curriculum or rotation sites? i have upcoming interviews at both schools so i cant gauge the "feel" of the schools yet but on paper, they are quite similar.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if any current students or I suppose any one who's interviewed at Touro could answer some questions that I didn't get answered at my interview.
I was wondering if Touro has any patient simulation courses, like with actors who come in, or (I don't think they do but..) access to robotic patients like Harvey. Also, is there a set program in place to help prepare students for the boards, or time off to prep for them.
When I had my interview I had barely any interaction with the students except for my tour guide, who wasn't too helpful. I really like the school (I got high waitlisted...:( so hopefully I will get called later), but I feel like I learned more about the MPH program on my day.
Also, what types of things do most students do when they do have time off? My boyfriend and I are pretty active... are there any outdoors activities that are near by? Lastly, my tour guide made it sound like all the students lived a ways away from the school, and weren't super close knit, but from the forums I've heard the opposite.... so what is the atmosphere there between students? And what made everyone choose Touro over other schools?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better feel!!

Thanks!!

I was wondering if Touro has any patient simulation courses, like with actors who come in, or (I don't think they do but..) access to robotic patients like Harvey.

Oh, we definitely have standardized patient actors. You will come to know them very well. There's a course both first and second year organized around taking a history and physical from a patient.

Also, is there a set program in place to help prepare students for the boards, or time off to prep for them.
Yes. The school gives every second year free access to an online Qbank with board questions and explanations. Then in the spring of second year, a Kaplan board review course is offered on campus once regular classes have ended.

When I had my interview I had barely any interaction with the students except for my tour guide, who wasn't too helpful.

A lot of people feel this way, including myself when I interviewed. I think the problem is that so many people ride to the school from the Quality Inn on that shuttle they have, which leaves the moment that Dr. Haight is through with the applicants. Those people who drive themselves have the opportunity to "hang out" after their interview and talk with students.
If you happen to be at Touro, don't be afraid to wander a bit and talk to students. Just come sit down in one of the lecture halls, people are always happy to talk to you on breaks (or during lecture for that matter.)

Also, what types of things do most students do when they do have time off? My boyfriend and I are pretty active... are there any outdoors activities that are near by?

Are you kidding? This is the bay area & Northern California. There's nature everywhere. Like, good nature. Day hiking on Mt Tam, Surfing at Stinson Beach, trekking through the old growth redwoods of Muir Woods (all about 35min away), lots of biking trails in the East Bay.

Lastly, my tour guide made it sound like all the students lived a ways away from the school, and weren't super close knit, but from the forums I've heard the opposite.... so what is the atmosphere there between students?
Students live all over. Some (like me) live very close to school, though my first year I lived in San Francisco. We are very close knit, but I mean, there's 120 of us, its not like we all spend every week-end together. :laugh: Don't worry, everyone is very friendly. Touro has a reputation for having a active, vocal student body that has a supportive culture helping each other out, not killing each other over competition for grades (not that we don't have a few of those too.)

And what made everyone choose Touro over other schools?

Location is certainly number one. People want to live in the Bay Area, close to SF, close to skiing in Tahoe, close to hiking in the Sierras. Nor Cal is famous for hippies and a relaxed but intellectual culture. Touro is slowly making a name for itself, so the reputation is building in a very positive direction. It's a bit smaller, as far as med school goes, so there's a opportunity to get some extra attention, be in a leadership role, etc.

Hope this helps.

Bryan,
second year (soon to be third HELL YEAH!) Touro-CA student

We have three members in the Class of 2011 group. Come on guys add yourselves, I know you are out there reading this! ;)

Thanks bth7! That helps alot. Hahaha I figured there were lots of things to do around there, I just didn't know specifically since I'm not from that area and haven't spent too much time there. What you said really makes me even more excited to hopefully get a call from the school as space becomes available.

Does anyone know when they start pulling off the high alternate list?

Thanks!

I was also put on the high alternate list and am really interested in TUCOM. When I did a search from last year it looked like a lot of people were not taken off the waitlist until July. I don't know if my BF and I can wait that long to make a cross country move. Was anyone taken off the waitlist earlier than July last year? I have been accepted to another school but think that TUCOM might be a better fit.

AHH!, the more i think about moving the more excited I get! I really only have 3 more months here in the place I've lived for 23 years. This will be the first time I've moved away and its completely across the country! Lets get this party started already!

So, I followed the financial aid sheet directions as closely as possible...filed the fafsa, took the EdFund test, chose a lender (T.H.E.)and then I reach an impass.

Does anyone understand the Student Loan Request Statement in the financial aid packet. This is my first time applying for financial aid, so I am confused as to what boxes to check under the "i request a loan for..." section.
Doesn't everyone want to request the subsidized and usubsidized federal (perkins and stafford) loans? More importantly, shouldn't Touro's financial aid office tell you about the status of your federal loans before you apply to the Grad plus or alternative loans? How else are you going to know how much federal aid you'll get, and what if you end up asking for too little from your lender because of anticipated federal loans?

What really confuses me is that T.H.E. has a way for you yourself to apply for Stafford loans...The Touro financial aid guidlines don't say to do this, so does that mean that they are doing it for me?

Sorry for this long winded post, but I am at my wits end with this (I spent all this time so close to the priority filing deadline getting my taxes filed with a deployed husband...yikes.)

Gprotein...

Nothing great, but you may be able to grab some photos from here...

http://209.209.34.22/gallery/TU-CA

Does anyone know our orientation and class start date?

JustDO, I have not completed this yet as my taxes are yet to be complete, so i am of no help, sorry.

Thanks Digital01!

I will add those as soon as I get a chance. I have been ultra-busy lately as my students have benchmark testing.

I soooooooooo can't wait till I move to Cali!! Just three more months!! :)