Touro MS program Middletown/Harlem NY 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I have been admitted to the MS program in Middletown starting in Fall 2022.

I have recently completed my pre-med BS and have good stats - 3.9 GPA, 505 MCAT, 250+ hours of shadowing and research. So I am applying this cycle for the Fall 2023 DO program across multiple DO schools including Touro.

Is it still worth it to do the MS program between 2022-2023 during my gap year as an insurance policy? Does Touro allow applying via ACOMAS and also via the MS program in parallel?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have been admitted to the MS program in Middletown starting in Fall 2022.

I have recently completed my pre-med BS and have good stats - 3.9 GPA, 505 MCAT, 250+ hours of shadowing and research. So I am applying this cycle for the Fall 2023 DO program across multiple DO schools including Touro.

Is it still worth it to do the MS program between 2022-2023 during my gap year as an insurance policy? Does Touro allow applying via ACOMAS and also via the MS program in parallel?
Yeah they tell you to apply to aacomas as well, and you’ll be well prepared for med school after the MS year.
I have to say with those stats, you should have a pretty good chance of getting in to a med school without doing the master’s. I would probably work, save up some money, and enjoy life, but everyone goes about this process in their own way. I think this program is a little too high risk to use as a insurance policy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All- I was accepted in may and accepted my spot for the fall class/ doing summer classes. Has anyone received notice as to when the classes start/ how to pay tuition. The only correspondence I've had with them is my acceptance and enrolling in summer classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All- I was accepted in may and accepted my spot for the fall class/ doing summer classes. Has anyone received notice as to when the classes start/ how to pay tuition. The only correspondence I've had with them is my acceptance and enrolling in summer classes.
Fall classes start on July 25th

Just got accepted into the DO program after completing the Master’s program and not getting in directly. Had to retake the MCATs and apply traditionally.

I think one thing that kills people with this program is being so wrapped up in getting that 3.45 so they can start med school asap.

Just don't put so much pressure on yourselves with trying to get straight in to the program. Treat it like any other masters program and do your best to improve your chances of getting into *any* medical school by developing yourself academically all around.

*Plan to retake the MCATs* even if direct matriculation is your first choice. Put your eggs in multiple baskets. Focus on yourself and improving yourself. The way the program is set up, it can be so tempting to compare yourself to your peers constantly. But try not to do this because it will affect your mental state and Eventually, your performance.

From what I’ve observed, it seems like Touro favors its masters students because you already know the curriculum, so even if you don't get in directly, If you retake the MCATS and get a Score above ~502 (which should be guaranteed after you take touro’s classes), they will accept you.

Last edited:
Lastly, to add because I keep seeing that people think it’s 50% that gets in. It’s not, it's more like 35% percent if we’re being honest. You have to count the ~25 students that start the program but drop out before the end.

Lastly, to add because I keep seeing that people think it’s 50% that gets in. It’s not, it's more like 35% percent if we’re being honest. You have to count the ~25 students that start the program but drop out before the end.
congrats on your acceptance! just to confirm- did you finish the program this year and now matriculating or did you have to take another year off and reapply

congrats on your acceptance! just to confirm- did you finish the program this year and now matriculating or did you have to take another year off and reapply
Had to take off a year before reapplying. It's kind of hard to try to take the MCATs during the program because it's so hectic. The summer after the master’s program is the best time to retake the MCAT and reapply. Although I have come across some people who took the exam in January over winter break and applied. I think by doing this, you run the risk of burning out. Rest and self-kindness is so important for success in both this program/doing well on the MCATs. Whichever route gets you accepted.

Considering I’m a NY’er, this was the only program that guaranteed admission into the medical program if I proved myself. It’s going to be hard, because medical school is hard. The program director called me himself to discuss my application and my dreams. He gave me the harsh reality of what a rigorous curriculum this program has and there’s no room for do-overs. I think as long as I put in the work, I can live the first step to becoming a doctor. Sure there are other masters programs out there, but do many of them actually deliver on the promise of admission to the medical program. I’m investing my money into this program because I know there is a written and verbal guarantee into the medical program. Many others give promises for maybe an interview, which leaves a lot of room for uncertainty. If you can’t make it in this program, then maybe one should reconsider becoming a doctor.
This is an extremely naive and insulting statement. And absolutely untrue.

Reactions: 1 users
is there a fb group for middletown, super excited to meet you all, we got this

How important is the Casper score for admissions to Touro for either the regular ACOMAS route or the MS route? Do you have to score above some quartile level to get admitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep for MS Your score doesn’t matter, but you still have to take it. I took mine super early in the year to get it out of the way.

Same question as above, does anyone have any thought on the Horizon Student Housing dorm?

Would you recommend off-campus? I read some bad reviews for the dorm from students in 2018-2019 year; not sure if it the same facility

Does anyone know the typical class schedule for the MS program for the Fall and Spring semesters? Are the classes during the day or in the evenings? What days of the week?

I am planning to work part-time in a medical facility, hence am wondering what is feasible along with the classes

Strongly advice against any kind of job. I completely understand the need for money. This region of the country is very expensive compared to what I’m used too, but the goal is to get in to med school so that’s your first, second, and third job.

Schedule is different between the campuses on what time the classes are taking. I attached a screenshot of Middletown google calendar typical weeks from fall and spring for last year. Also have to factor in all of the Jewish holidays we get off.

Attachments

• 14484A46-2575-468F-8DC1-7400B3FD8E8E.png
    14484A46-2575-468F-8DC1-7400B3FD8E8E.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 276
  • D85A6D66-E1A9-4CEB-A419-EBE4FC920B85.png
    D85A6D66-E1A9-4CEB-A419-EBE4FC920B85.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 269
For Middletown, are the lectures on zoom and the supplemental classes in person?

Probably all in person again . Covid made the spring semester go on zoom last year. Also all lecture and all supplemental are mandatory for the MS students.

anyone planning on dorming together? I was looking at the two bedroom horizon residence. Figured convenience is what matters. Also is there a Facebook page for Middletown peeps?

If anyone has an instagram or snapchat, DM me! Thought I'd start a community before we go!

Anybody have any updates regarding Harlem? I’ve been sending emails about orientation and financial aid; getting no response.

Is anyone having trouble with financial aid? I submitted way back in October and still get emails saying they don’t have mine on file.

does anyone know how dorming works for middletown

I received a few attachments of forms to fill out via email from the liason. (Cindy Dickman)
The HSH Liason said that anyone can stop by for a tour, preferably during weekdays. I couldn't go since I'm in Florida right now.

Anyone able to visit?

I received a few attachments of forms to fill out via email from the liason. (Cindy Dickman)
The HSH Liason said that anyone can stop by for a tour, preferably during weekdays. I couldn't go since I'm in Florida right now.

Anyone able to visit?
I might be able to visit end of this month. I can update yall how the spaces are if anything

Hi everyone,
Recently got accepted into the Middletown location. How is the MS programs for Middletown? Support? Housing? On campus vs. Off campus? I have an idea of how the program functions based on looking into it on my own and speaking with staff but, I want to know more from students who successfully completed it or incoming TouroCOM-MS program students.

Hi everyone,
Recently got accepted into the Middletown location. How is the MS programs for Middletown? Support? Housing? On campus vs. Off campus? I have an idea of how the program functions based on looking into it on my own and speaking with staff but, I want to know more from students who successfully completed it or incoming TouroCOM-MS program students.
Just study very hard to make tha gpa! u got this

Anyone hear back from dorming, I sent an email out to Cindy, but heard nothing back

Hi everyone,
From Harlem, but i believe ur exam schedules are the same. That means the first exam is in 5 weeks. Use those 5 weeks to find a suitable studying habit for you (ask previous masters and 2nd years and try diff things). Try to keep on top of things as much as possible (but eventually most of us fall into exam chasing mode but it’s best to hold that off as long as possible).

hey yall! been trolling this page for a while, does anyone know what students wear to class, like do we wear scrubs or business casual? Also do we take classes with the med students as well

hey yall! been trolling this page for a while, does anyone know what students wear to class, like do we wear scrubs or business casual? Also do we take classes with the med students as well
No set dress code except for anatomy lab which is of course scrubs. With that said I wouldn’t wear PJ’s or crop tops to class. I wore normal jeans and t shirt most days and scrubs all day if I was going to the anatomy lab.
You don’t seat in the lecture with the med student, but you have same material and test. Ironically you do take your test with the med students.

No set dress code except for anatomy lab which is of course scrubs. With that said I wouldn’t wear PJ’s or crop tops to class. I wore normal jeans and t shirt most days and scrubs all day if I was going to the anatomy lab.
You don’t seat in the lecture with the med student, but you have same material and test. Ironically you do take your test with the med students.
Thank you so much for the advice!

Realistically:
1. How many kids get in with a 3.4 cutoff /out of how many total kids?
2. Are the exams ridiculously hard, after studying, and do the profs pull out some shady business
3. Are we graded against each other?
Also wanted to hear why others are doing the program, I did poorly in undergrad

Realistically:
1. How many kids get in with a 3.4 cutoff /out of how many total kids?
2. Are the exams ridiculously hard, after studying, and do the profs pull out some shady business
3. Are we graded against each other?
Also wanted to hear why others are doing the program, I did poorly in undergrad
1. For Middletown I can tell you around 32 so far got in to the DO class based on the people in the groupme. Could have miss counted a person but thats a rough estimate. Middletown had around 65ish at the end of the program started with around 70 but some people dropped out mid year. This is a mixture of people who got the 3.45 gpa and got in through AACOMAS.

2. Exam are just hard. professors give points back from some questions that had a poor response rate, but nothing I would call shady.

3. Yep graded against your class. What ever is the class avg that becomes the bottom of the B+ range.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I recently accepted my offer for Harlem and wanted to connect with other students in the program. I requested to join the Facebook group as well.

If you’re headed to Harlem join the GroupMe! Here’s the link: GroupMe

Just got accepted into the DO program after completing the Master’s program and not getting in directly. Had to retake the MCATs and apply traditionally.

I think one thing that kills people with this program is being so wrapped up in getting that 3.45 so they can start med school asap.

Just don't put so much pressure on yourselves with trying to get straight in to the program. Treat it like any other masters program and do your best to improve your chances of getting into *any* medical school by developing yourself academically all around.

*Plan to retake the MCATs* even if direct matriculation is your first choice. Put your eggs in multiple baskets. Focus on yourself and improving yourself. The way the program is set up, it can be so tempting to compare yourself to your peers constantly. But try not to do this because it will affect your mental state and Eventually, your performance.

From what I’ve observed, it seems like Touro favors its masters students because you already know the curriculum, so even if you don't get in directly, If you retake the MCATS and get a Score above ~502 (which should be guaranteed after you take touro’s classes), they will accept you.
^This

I did the program years ago and did not get in, eventually ended up retaking MCAT and attending another school. But I know several people who retook the test, reapplied, and got in. Good luck to everyone!

can anyone please help me. i would really appreciate. Does Touro's MS program middletown campus accept general chemistry for inorganic chemistry requirement. I have only taken general chemistry. Thank you.
Pretty sure general chemistry is inorganic chemistry (or at least it fits the criteria)