Touro-ny

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview scheduled in late January for this school. I honestly could have had it scheduled earlier in December but was turned off by the fact that if accepted you have to submit the hefty deposit within 2 weeks. Also, for the most part I had only heard awful reviews of the school and that the average GPA/MCAT of matriculating students there was rather low. Recently though I read somewhere that the first graduating class had awesome match results. Is this true? I have a GPA of around 3.6(AACOMAS) and a 32R MCAT. Should I still have a good chance of being accepted if I interview in late January? Can people provide me with more information about this school concerning how well it's regarded, clinical opportunities, educational foundation, residency options in nyc region,etc.? Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

read their school specific thread in the pre-osteo forums. most of your questions are answered there. also, the deadline for the deposit for everyone is January 5th. I don't know the new deadline for those who interview after that; probably sometime in april or may. I think the avg mcat score for 2015 was 28-29. for 2016 most of the people they have interviewed have had above a 29; the only people who get in with lower mcat scores now are usually their master's students; this majorly brings down the average GPA/MCAT of matriculating students.

haha. I wonder how old the reviews he must have been reading were? A lot has changed and the new classes are all shiny and competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be biased because I'll most likely be attending touro-ny next fall, but the low gpa/mcat theory doesn't seem to apply to this school anymore. My fellow interviewees had some impressive stats, and I think it's only going to get more competitive if the school can continue to land its students at good residencies.

Speaking of residencies, can current students (especially the 4th years) provide some input on how the students are being matched to allopathic residencies (for instance, general surgery)? Thanks in advance!

I might be biased because I'll most likely be attending touro-ny next fall, but the low gpa/mcat theory doesn't seem to apply to this school anymore. My fellow interviewees had some impressive stats, and I think it's only going to get more competitive if the school can continue to land its students at good residencies.

Speaking of residencies, can current students (especially the 4th years) provide some input on how the students are being matched to allopathic residencies (for instance, general surgery)? Thanks in advance!

There has only been one match!!

Matching ACGME general surgery takes some serious cajones.

As an osteopathic student, it is usually a much better decision to rank at least a few of the good osteopathic gen surg programs rather than skipping the AOA match altogether.

We had at least 1 student match ACGME gen surg; it was at St. Elizabeth's in Boston. I think there may be one more but I'm not 100% sure and too lazy to go look.

TBH, i was rather disappointed when I went for the interview. Easily one of the worst looking schools out of all the schools I interviewed at (in terms of facilities, rooms, and just the general look of the school)

TBH, i was rather disappointed when I went for the interview. Easily one of the worst looking schools out of all the schools I interviewed at (in terms of facilities, rooms, and just the general look of the school)

I do agree. The school didn't feel like a "university" due to smaller building. Compared to, say, Columbia university, Touro seems so small. You also stay in just one classroom the entire yr and have all lectures in one room. Their library did not look large nor did they have 24/7 study areas in the library....just isolated study rooms. Also, they did not seem to have huge budget in research thus the only research opportunity you have in school is in microbiology (that i know of so far).
But keep in mind that they have smaller class size ~135 and they are still new
What impressed me most was their anatomy lab, their constant work to improve the school, med sim optional course, and huge potential. I mean only 2 yrs of our medical school life is in classroom and the rest is dependent on the clinical sites. And being in nyc, there are plenty of awesome hospitals to do your rotations. What I like most about this school is their potential during clinical.

I do agree. The school didn't feel like a "university" due to smaller building. Compared to, say, Columbia university, Touro seems so small. You also stay in just one classroom the entire yr and have all lectures in one room. Their library did not look large nor did they have 24/7 study areas in the library....just isolated study rooms. Also, they did not seem to have huge budget in research thus the only research opportunity you have in school is in microbiology (that i know of so far).
But keep in mind that they have smaller class size ~135 and they are still new
What impressed me most was their anatomy lab, their constant work to improve the school, med sim optional course, and huge potential. I mean only 2 yrs of our medical school life is in classroom and the rest is dependent on the clinical sites. And being in nyc, there are plenty of awesome hospitals to do your rotations. What I like most about this school is their potential during clinical.

You haven't been on many med school interviews I see. 9 out of 10 med schools are two classrooms (one per year) that you apend your whole year in the same one. And prob 75% of them only have only the anatomy lab path lab and library as the only other medical student facilities. Everything else is ubdergrad facilities you happen to share. Evej in that case a lot of times the undergrad and med school areas are geographically segregated and not conveniently nearby.

This applies to Columbia too. The med school is bare bones, room wise, on 161st and all the perks from the main university are 40 blocks away on 121st. Not saying they're not great rooms... But its still just the same two rooms two labs and a library that nearly all schools are. Being inside a hospital just makes it look more impressive. (and I'm one who can be impressed)

You should also be aware that this is the first medical school to open in New York, Manhatten since Mount S in 1963, this is a urban medical school

not the rural communities that u see many DOs at, where they have lush land and more cows than people

space will always be a problem...im sure they will expand in time...they have graduated their first class..

Members don't see this ad :)
In all seriousness, the school's located in nyc. Do the small buildings/few classrooms really matter? Apollo Theater is right there to accomodate various ceremonies, numerous other universities' in the city offer libraries for students to study, there are world class art exhibitions and broadway shows for mental breaks, and countless restaurants to fulfill your diverse taste. I say Manhattan is Touro's campus.

The big campuses are also for undergrad non are associated with medical

Universites are smart eough to know that the $$$ is in undergrad...thats y they jack those programs up

read their school specific thread in the pre-osteo forums. most of your questions are answered there. also, the deadline for the deposit for everyone is January 5th. I don't know the new deadline for those who interview after that; probably sometime in april or may. I think the avg mcat score for 2015 was 28-29. for 2016 most of the people they have interviewed have had above a 29; the only people who get in with lower mcat scores now are usually their master's students; this majorly brings down the average GPA/MCAT of matriculating students.

Is it really true that most of the people interviewing this year have had an MCAT above a score of 29? Do I still have a good chance of being accepted if I interview on January 24th? Is there still an opportunity for me to change my interview date to a December one?

i got in with a 27...

but i also had a REAL masters (no SMP bs) lol

i got in with a 27...

but i also had a REAL masters (no SMP bs) lol

What's wrong with an SMP? How much use is your masters going to be when you're a doctor? Are you gonna go around telling people you're a D.O. M.S? 99% of people won't give a sh~t. :thumbdown:

Having a real masters vs an SMP doesn't give much, if any, advantages. SMP classes are pretty much medical school classes. These people have demonstrated they can do the material, and will probably have an easier time when they do get accepted.

What's wrong with an SMP? How much use is your masters going to be when you're a doctor? Are you gonna go around telling people you're a D.O. M.S? 99% of people won't give a sh~t. :thumbdown:

Having a real masters vs an SMP doesn't give much, if any, advantages. SMP classes are pretty much medical school classes. These people have demonstrated they can do the material, and will probably have an easier time when they do get accepted.

I believe the point was that they got an masters in a field generally associated with the degree historically as opposed to one that functionally serves as a resume builder. Regardless of what utility either degree has, it could be argued the different fields have a different genesis.

The way he/she wrote it makes me think that he/she feels the "REAL" masters degree is somehow better than the SMP for the purpose of applying to medical school, and that an SMP is "bullsh~t".. i.e. tooting the horn, I have a "real" masters, validate me.

I realize. I imagine it was poor word choice rather than actually feeling your degree has less utility (it may have more) for getting in.

I have a +30 MCAT and I am seriously considering attending if I get accepted. I too, pushed back my interview date from the available ones.. Nov 3rd vs my selection of Nov 29. I wished I did Nov 3rd.. but thought it would be a good opportunity to go home and see family for thanksgiving AND do the interview to save on flight.

From what i hear from a current student... administration can be a bit frustrating as in things aren't organized well. academically though, on par.

Just got a secondary today (finally). Hesitant for a few reasons: it's practically December, they take forever as it is, I have a 25R mcat, and my sGPA is 3.34 (up to 3.45 in a month), and the application is $200 bones. Should I not bother?

Just got a secondary today (finally). Hesitant for a few reasons: it's practically December, they take forever as it is, I have a 25R mcat, and my sGPA is 3.34 (up to 3.45 in a month), and the application is $200 bones. Should I not bother?

If I were you, I would go ahead and apply. Even if it comes down to a worst case scenario and you get waitlisted, I think there will be a major movement in the waitlist. The school's giving the applicants extra time (until 1/5) to put the deposit down, so there's a higher chance the accepted applicants might choose to attend somewhere else.

I personally see the med school app as a real deal and an investment, so I used up all my money applying...but again, it's up to you.

I have a +30 MCAT and I am seriously considering attending if I get accepted. I too, pushed back my interview date from the available ones.. Nov 3rd vs my selection of Nov 29. I wished I did Nov 3rd.. but thought it would be a good opportunity to go home and see family for thanksgiving AND do the interview to save on flight.

From what i hear from a current student... administration can be a bit frustrating as in things aren't organized well. academically though, on par.

my personal opinion on this is that the administration is made of many strong minded people with very different opinions. the dean has a very strong idea for the school,and puashes for rapid modernization. Hes completely open to suggestions but is very closed to criticism from students or staff. the preclinical dean wants to run us all like a science and statistic experiment which actually works pretty well but it rubs a few people the wrong way . and some of the old founders wanna basically run us like a clone of the other touro campuses . the right word to use to be schizophrenic . if you can take it with a grain of salt that there WILL be times the administration disagrees and bickers with each other. If you can be okay with that, the educational experience will really make you happy

Is it really true that most of the people interviewing this year have had an MCAT above a score of 29? Do I still have a good chance of being accepted if I interview on January 24th? Is there still an opportunity for me to change my interview date to a December one?

Anyone care to answer my question? Thanks!

if you are given an interview then your stats are at that time somewhat irrelevant. at that point its just up to how well you can sell yourself during your interview. just be yourself, know your application and essays and you will be fine.

Just out of curiosity, is the school publicly reporting the first graduating class's residency match list w/ fields anytime soon (or is it available already)?

I could only find the list of hospitals/sites where the students have landed, I was wondering if anyone knew.

yea. the full version has been posted 2-3x. It came out Sept 22nd. I cant find the link to it right now and the document I have of it is very "copy and paste UNfriendly". If its not linked in this thread by later today I'll take some time off and format it into a neat response on this thread.

my suggestion is check the school specific threads and read the tourocom ones. One of them will have it rather recently, especially if yuou know what date it was posted on.

if you are given an interview then your stats are at that time somewhat irrelevant. at that point its just up to how well you can sell yourself during your interview. just be yourself, know your application and essays and you will be fine.

But when you interview has some bearing on whether you're accepted or not as well. That's why I was wondering if Jan. 24th is kind of late for someone with my stats or whether I should still have a good chance of an acceptance provided I perform decently on my interview.So is it too late?

3 cycles ago (so take that for what it is) I interviewed in the last possible week, so early march-ish, with scores in that vicinity (GPA 3.2 or so and MCAT >30). I got accepted straight in.

the school is *much* more competitive now, but January is still not a particularly late time to interview for a DO school, despite all the noise you hear on here. It really isnt all that late. Sure they wont be giving away easy spots to early applicants, but from the comments on here i get the feelign they aren't giving away easy spots at all this year. So if you're qualified (it looks like you are) it shouldnt matter that much when you interview. Sell yourself well and they'll make a spot for you. Schools tend to keep a certain percentage "unfilled" that lessens as the year goes on just for the sake that there will be highly qualified people they see for the first time in january.

But when you interview has some bearing on whether you're accepted or not as well. That's why I was wondering if Jan. 24th is kind of late for someone with my stats or whether I should still have a good chance of an acceptance provided I perform decently on my interview.So is it too late?

I'm in 2014, but I interviewed later than this and I'm here.

anyone here of people getting reject post-secondary? I know it used to be secondary=interview but have yet to here of someone this did not happen to.

yea. the full version has been posted 2-3x. It came out Sept 22nd. I cant find the link to it right now and the document I have of it is very "copy and paste UNfriendly". If its not linked in this thread by later today I'll take some time off and format it into a neat response on this thread.

my suggestion is check the school specific threads and read the tourocom ones. One of them will have it rather recently, especially if yuou know what date it was posted on.

Thanks, Doc. As always, very much appreciated:thumbup:

3 cycles ago (so take that for what it is) I interviewed in the last possible week, so early march-ish, with scores in that vicinity (GPA 3.2 or so and MCAT >30). I got accepted straight in.

the school is *much* more competitive now, but January is still not a particularly late time to interview for a DO school, despite all the noise you hear on here. It really isnt all that late. Sure they wont be giving away easy spots to early applicants, but from the comments on here i get the feelign they aren't giving away easy spots at all this year. So if you're qualified (it looks like you are) it shouldnt matter that much when you interview. Sell yourself well and they'll make a spot for you. Schools tend to keep a certain percentage "unfilled" that lessens as the year goes on just for the sake that there will be highly qualified people they see for the first time in january.
Thanks! I was able to advance my interview date to Jan. 19th so that might give me a little bit of a boost. How would you say Touro compares to NYCOM or UMDNJSOM? What about DMU/CCOM or KCUMB? I too would love to see the first year match list for Touro.

Thanks! I was able to advance my interview date to Jan. 19th so that might give me a little bit of a boost. How would you say Touro compares to NYCOM or UMDNJSOM? What about DMU/CCOM or KCUMB? I too would love to see the first year match list for Touro.

I'm not sure about the other information, but I just interviewed here and they gave us the match list in the information packet:

Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, NY
Internal Medicine

St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital
New York, NY
Internal Medicine

University of Wisconsin Family Practice
Wausau, Wisconsin
Family Practice

NYCOM/Good Samaritan Hosp & Med
West Islip, NY
OB/GYN

Case Western Univ Hosp Richmond Med Ctr
Richmond Heights, Ohio
Traditional Rotating Int

Flushing Hospital Medical Center
Queens, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

University of Buffalo SOM
Buffalo, NY
Pediatrics

Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Washington, DC

West Islip, NY
Transitional Rotating Int Pediatrics

NYCOM/Nassau University Med Ctr
East Meadow, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

St Barnabas Hospital
Bronx, NY
Emergency Med

NSUCOM/Largo Med Ctr
Largo, FL
Family Practice

NYCOM/Plainview Hospital
Plainview, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

NYU SOM
New York, NY
Phys Medicine & Rehab

St John's Episcopal Hospital
Far Rockaway, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

UNECOM/St Michael's Hospital Div
Newark, NJ
Internal Medicine

Flushing Hospital Med Ctr
Queens, NY
Internal Medicine

East Meadow, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

NYCOM/Wyckoff Heights Med Ctr
Brooklyn, NY
General Surgery

Eisenhower Army Med Ctr
Ft. Gordon, GA

PCOM/ARIA Health
Philadelphia, PA
Family Practice-Emergency Med

Danbury Hospital
Danbury, CT
OB/GYN

UNECOM/St Michael's Hospital Dic
Newark, NJ
Emergency Med

St John's Episcopal Hospital
Far Rockaway, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

DMUCOM/U Wisconsin Dept Fam Med
Madison, WI
Family Practice-St Luke's Milwk

East Meadow, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

Metro Health Hospital
Wyoming, MI
Otolaryn & Facial Plastic Surgery

St Joseph's Regional Med Ctr
Paterson, NJ
Pediatrics

Wilson Memorial Reg Med Ctr
Johnson City, NY
Family Practice

Magnolia Regional Health Ctr
Corinth, Mississippi
Internal Medicine-Hospitalist Track

Stamford Hospital/Columbia Univ
Stamford, CT
OB/GYN

Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
Baltimore, MD
General Surgery

Indiana University SOM
Indianapolis, IN
Pediatrics

Walter Reed Army Med Ctr
Washington, DC

Maimonides Med Ctr
Brooklyn, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

Maimonides Med Ctr
Brooklyn, NY
Anesthesiology

Baystate Med Ctr/Tufts Univ SOM
Springfield, MA
Emergency Medicine

NSLIJHS/Hofstra Univ SOM
Manhasset, NY
Emergency Medicine

NYCOM/Nassau Univ Med Ctr
East Meadow, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

Greenwich Hospital
Greenwich, CT
Internal Medicine

St Luke's Roosevelt
New York, NY
Internal Medicine

Pending
Denver, CO
General Surgery

NYCOM/Peninsula Hosp Ctr
Far Rockaway, NY
General Surgery

Stony Brook Teaching Hospitals
Stony Brook, NY
Internal Medicine

NYCOM/Maimonides Med Ctr
Brooklyn, NY
Pediatrics

Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH
Neurology

Maine Med Ctr
Portland, ME
Internal Medicine

Brookhaven Memorial Hosp
Patchogue, NY
Diagnostic Radiology

St Barnabas Hospital
Bronx, NY
General Surgery

St John's Episcopal Hosp
Far Rockaway, NY
Family Medicine

Hospital of St. Raphael
New Haven, CT
Internal Medicine Prelim

SUNY Health Science Ctr
Brooklyn, NY
Anesthesiology

Philadelphia Coll of Med
Philadelphia, PA
Neurosurgery

UNECOM/St Joseph's Hosp & Med
Clifton, NJ
Emergency Med

NYCOM/Peninsula Hosp Ctr
Far Rockaway, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

Madigan Army Med Ctr (Ft Lewis)
Tacoma, WA

Pitt County Memorial Hosp/East Carolina SOM
Greensboro, NC

Metropolitan Hosp Ctr
New York, NY
Emergency Med

WESTUCOMP/Arrowhead Reg Med Ctr
Colton, CA
Traditional Rotating Int

Westchester Med Ctr
Valhalla, NY
Psychiatry

East Meadow, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

St Barnabas Hosp
Bronx, NY
Emergency Med

McMcaster's Univ SOM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
OB/GYN

St Elizabeth's Med Ctr Program
Boston, MA
Internal Medicine

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education
Rochester, MN
Internal MEdicine

Downey Regional Med Ctr
Downey, CA
Family Practice

PCOM/Aria Health
Philadelphia, PA
Internal Medicine-Emergency Med

NYCOM/Jamaica Hosp Dic
Jamaica, NY
Family Practice

Univ at Buffalo SOM
Buffalo, NY
Emergency Med

Jersey City Med Ctr
Jersey City, NJ
Internal Medicine

West Islip, NY
Emergency Med

St Peter's Univ Hospital
New Brunswick, NJ
Internal Medicine

SUNY Health Science Ctr Brooklyn
Brooklyn, NY
Internal Medicine

Columbia Hosp/Palms West Hosp
Loxahatchee, FL
Traditional Rotating Int

Wilson Memorial Reg Med Ctr
Johnson City, NY
Family Practice

St Joseph Mercy Hosp Program
Ann Arbor, MI
Internal Medicine

UNECOM/St Joseph's Hosp & Med
Clifton, NJ
Emergency Medicine

Naval Hospital (Portsmouth)
Portsmouth, VA

TUCOM-CA/Valley Hospital Med Ctr
Las Vegas, NV
Family Practice

Brooke Army Medical Ctr
San Antonio, TX

St Barnabas Hosp
Bronx, NY
Internal Medicine-Emergency Medicine

St Luke's-Roosevelt Hosp
New York, NY
Anesthesiology

Case Western/MetroHealth Med Ctr
Cleveland, OH
Internal Medicine

St Elizabeth's Med Ctr Program
Boston, MA
General Surgery

UNECOM/Berkshire Med Ctr
Pittsfield, MA
Traditional Rotating Int

NYCOM/Southampton Hosp
Southampton, NY
Internal Medicine

Genesys Regional Med-Health Park
Grand Blanc, MI
General Surgery

Univ of Hawaii
Honolulu, HI
Psychiatry

DMUCOM/U Wisconsin Dept Fam Med
Madison, WI
Family Practice

PCOM/Aria Health
Philadelphia, PA
Internal Medicine

St John's Episcopal Hosp
Far Rockaway, NY
Family Practice

East Meadow, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

INOVA Fairfax Hosp
Fairfax, VA
Internal Medicine

Coney Island Hosp
Brooklyn, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

Henry Ford Wyandotte Hosp
Wyandotte, MI
Emergency Medicine

NYCOM/Southampton Hosp
Southampton, NY
Integrated Family Practice/NMM

NYCOM/Peninsula Hosp Ctr
Far Rockaway, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

Maimonides Med Ctr Program
Brooklyn, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

East Meadow, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

William Beaumont Army Med Ctr
El Paso, TX

St John's Episcopal Hosp
Far, Rockaway, NY
Traditional Rotating Int

Univ California San Diego Med Ctr
San Diego, CA
Psychiatry

it doesn't compare in terms of the clinical rotations and residency affiliations these other schools have; not even close. The only thing touro has over these schools is that it's in NYC (a plus if you like living in a big city).

it doesn't compare in terms of the clinical rotations and residency affiliations these other schools have; not even close. The only thing touro has over these schools is that it's in NYC (a plus if you like living in a big city).

The fact that Touro's in NYC is a major selling point for me since I have ties to the area and lived in NYC until my early adolescence and would love to be back. NYCOM and UMDNJ are close enough though and if they have clinical rotations and residency affiliations that far surpass Touro then I suppose that's an easy choice to make. Are the stats for entering students to NYCOM and UMDNJ higher than Touro's at this point? If Touro's only interviewed applicants with an MCAT of at least 29, wouldn't that mean the stats for Touro's entering class are higher than those of UMDNJ or NYCOM since last I heard the average MCAT for those two schools was somewhere in the 27-28 range...

Snikkers,
Thanks for providing me with the match list! It's kind of disconcerting that there are so many traditional rotating internships on that list. What are those for exactly? Was the Diagnostic Radiology match at an ACGME residency?

The fact that Touro's in NYC is a major selling point for me since I have ties to the area and lived in NYC until my early adolescence and would love to be back. NYCOM and UMDNJ are close enough though and if they have clinical rotations and residency affiliations that far surpass Touro then I suppose that's an easy choice to make. Are the stats for entering students to NYCOM and UMDNJ higher than Touro's at this point? If Touro's only interviewed applicants with an MCAT of at least 29, wouldn't that mean the stats for Touro's entering class are higher than those of UMDNJ or NYCOM since last I heard the average MCAT for those two schools was somewhere in the 27-28 range...

Well. I chose Touro over UMDNJ for that reason. Being in NYC provides a certain intangible just for being exposed in clinical years to the various NYC physicians. I've used the connections I made here to dial in some favors and get myself rotations at the major NYC hospital centers in 3rd year (we get 1-2 months of elective to go where we want). Having that under your belt makes continuing the process easier, I'd think. Can't argue that NYCOM and UMDNJ have better clinical affiliations. They simply have more, and thats a huge advantage over touro where we have a lot of hospitals, but only a few of them are full and complete "you can stay here all year" hospitals. Having many of these is an advantage for the other schools for 3rd year cores.

IDK the stats. The most recent stuff I saw for touro puts us just under NYCOM for admission stats, but NYCOM has been stagnant for a long time at those stats and Touro has increased a single MCAT point each year it seems. While assuming it will continue each year is silly (clearly it has to stop sometime very soon) it is wholly believable that they would be interviewing people with very high MCATS almost exclusively this year since they are carrying a large load of master student upgrades (read as: they almost always have bad MCAT scores)

Snikkers,
Thanks for providing me with the match list! It's kind of disconcerting that there are so many traditional rotating internships on that list. What are those for exactly? Was the Diagnostic Radiology match at an ACGME residency?

You really cant know what to make of that, honestly. You can have TRIs who go on to rads or other exclusive fields. you can have TRIs that simply need a place to get some experience before they reapply. I only personally know one TRI from the graduating class and she is interviewing at some top tier ACGME pediatric programs (Buffalo, UMDNJ, Cornell, UofChicago) and is using the TRI as a resume booster. Again, n=1 in this story. so i have no clue about the other 19.

interviewing here soon. Would you guys suggest bringing a portfolio or anything with me to take notes?

Touro is not just interviewing applicants with 29+ MCAT. the interview batches are usually split up by MCAT scores so people with similar scores tend to interview together. Generally, the superior clinical years and residency affiliations of NYCOM and UMDNJ trump much of anything else touro can offer; of course this also depends on the individual applicant's situation.

The radiology match was AOA; it's in Long Island, NY.

FYI: They don't only interview applicants with an MCAT over 29. When I had my interview a couple of days ago, one of the deans mentioned that as long as you have at least a 9 in bio, you are good enough in their eyes. He brought a pretty interesting perspective about the MCAT and how it is a very biased and racist test....therefore, it is certainly not a great predictor of one's potential as a physician

Last edited:
Generally, the superior clinical years and residency affiliations of NYCOM and UMDNJ trump much of anything else touro can offer

Sorry, this may sound a bit thick, but what exactly makes their clinical years superior? I've read through this thread, and the 2011-2012 thread, and I've seen the list of rotation sites for touro.

Hello all,

I have been invited for an interview here with an MCAT of 24 (8/8/8). I clearly do not fit the 9 in bio theory so should I even be hopeful of an acceptance? And if not, why the invite?

Thanks

Hello all,

I have been invited for an interview here with an MCAT of 24 (8/8/8). I clearly do not fit the 9 in bio theory so should I even be hopeful of an acceptance? And if not, why the invite?

Thanks

in my opinion, the 9 in bio theory is not a strong one; it may have some merit but it's nothing to write home about. for those that don't know what it is, they say people who do better on the bio section of the mcat tend to do better on the boards; previously it was said that those who do better in the verbal section tend to do better.

if you got an interview invite then your mcat score (more importantly your application as a whole) is fine. rock the interview :thumbup:

FYI: They don't only interview applicants with an MCAT over 29. I have a 27 (9/9/9) and was interviewed this cycle. (whether I'll get accepted with a 27 is another story...I'll find out in a few weeks). When I had my interview a couple of days ago, one of the deans mentioned that as long as you have at least a 9 in bio, you are good enough in their eyes. He brought a pretty interesting perspective about the MCAT and how it is a very biased and racist test....therefore, it is certainly not a great predictor of one's potential as a physician

How is the MCAT a racist test? lol.

I dont know, he did not elaborate. But these are his exact words....Though from my psych classes I remember learning that lots of standardized tests are biased and discriminate against certain minorities and ethnic groups

By "racist test," I think he was referring to the fact that the design of the test prevents the minorities and recent immigrants from entering medical schools. As we are all aware, the test dedicates a good one-third of itself in verbal reasoning while 4 science courses are grouped into two. I'm not sure about the minorities...but people like me (moved from East Asian country 5 years ago) definitely suffer. I have 12-13 in science scores but my verbal is a 6. It's not that I have trouble understanding English, but my reading speed isn't just fast enough to finish all the passages in time. Even if I prove that I can manage med school courses by excelling in upper level therapeutic classes, most schools wouldn't let me in. But this is fully understandable, because we are in America and they are looking for physicians well equipped to communicate with American population, both verbally and non-verbally. In this sense, I really appreciate the osteopathic schools for looking at the whole package of my application and giving me a chance to work as a physician...because at the end of the day, I don't care wheather I have DO or MD as long as I can serve as a physician.

Just my thoughts on the idea of a "racist test" mentioned above.

Reactions: 1 user
I know the old SAT had problems with being biased against certain races/populations i.e. asking an analogy catamaran: boat as SUV:car or something like that. But that was many years ago and the SAT makers got a lot of flack for this type of nonsense and have tried their best to eliminate it.

As far as today's MCAT, I don't see the content of the test being biased itself especially because 2/3 of the sections are science based and don't seem like they have much opportunity to cultural bias.

If the Touro rep was referencing the fact that some lower SES populations might have problems affording test prep for the exam then that is another story and one that holds more water, IMO. I believe that standardized tests are absolutely essential in the grade inflated/deflated world of secondary education and the MCAT is a pretty good one as it is content based. I've also taken the GRE (in 2007) and although I did well that didn't matter as much because it was not a content-based test like the MCAT.

FYI: They don't only interview applicants with an MCAT over 29. I have a 27 (9/9/9) and was interviewed this cycle. (whether I'll get accepted with a 27 is another story...I'll find out in a few weeks).

Agreed.

My MCAT is lower than a 29 and I'm about to head to NYC in a few days. As for actual acceptances...well I guess we'll find out soon enough.