You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2007-2008
Started by mshheaddoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, its now past May 15. Anyone hear anything about waitlist movement? I called Obed, but he wasn't able to give me much information. Anyone able to pry any information out of him? 🙁
I called and left a message but never got a response. Keep us posted on any info you receive!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found a pretty cool place by school, or so it sounds to be, with 4-5 bedrooms, very cool looking place and huge. Only $3500, i think thats a steal for those who want to share a place with 4 other students.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/691189444.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/691189444.html
I got an email from Obed today. He says that the waitlist was been moving very slow and they are currently taking students off of the waitlist (high). said there were currently 39 students on the high waitlist, but he expects that number to go down due to acceptances of other schools. Hope this helps someone
bump
I found a pretty cool place by school, or so it sounds to be, with 4-5 bedrooms, very cool looking place and huge. Only $3500, i think thats a steal for those who want to share a place with 4 other students.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/691189444.html
hey i am down to look for apt, and that apt looks nice because it is near the school (its on 125 i think, which is great 🙂). I live in queens, so i can start looking now, but i am in the same position as ellinopedo, which is waitlisted at another school.
Do u know how many people will actually end up gettin off waiting list
do u think high waitlisted people end up gettin off?
Obed's first email said high waitlisted people be prepared to pay deposits
I cannot wait
do u think high waitlisted people end up gettin off?
Obed's first email said high waitlisted people be prepared to pay deposits
I cannot wait
Do u know how many people will actually end up gettin off waiting list
do u think high waitlisted people end up gettin off?
Obed's first email said high waitlisted people be prepared to pay deposits
I cannot wait
there should be good amount of hope if you are on the high waitlist. there were quite a few seats left a couple of weeks ago, but they did recently except some people. There is going to be people getting off the waitlist, due to other acceptances. Also people may drop out over the summer, since they were waitlisted at other schools.
Hi. Like everyone else attending Touro next year, I received the schedule. What does IBT stand for? It's one of the classes on the schedule and I have no idea what it is!!!
Biochem. More precisely, Introduction to Biochemistry and Tissues
I am on same boat as u. Obed never tells us exact number of people to be taken. I guess we just have to wait.
If u r on highwaitiling list, does it guarantee early accept for next yr??
If u r on highwaitiling list, does it guarantee early accept for next yr??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am on same boat as u. Obed never tells us exact number of people to be taken. I guess we just have to wait.
If u r on highwaitiling list, does it guarantee early accept for next yr??
The letter said it will make us candidates for early decision, but based on the wording, I don't think it's definite. I may be wrong.
Hey, I found a student that went through the "early decision program" at Touro. Here is what she had to say...
I just read the email again and it says
"In addition, just before classes begin, the committee will review the candidates with the highest potential and consider making them an offer for the following year class. This will require a deposit."
This makes me think that after they've pulled everyone off the waitlist that they want for this year's admission cycle, the highest qualified applicants left on the waitlist will be offered spots for next year. I think ur best bet would be to ask amathew about this process. She definetly knows it better than all of us can speculate.
Hey guys
For all those waiting to hear back from the interview, GOOD LUCK! For the rest of you waiting to hear back for interviews, be patient!! TouroCOM's turning out to be a great school, with brand new facilities, its nyc location and it has some of the greatest faculty I have seen in open houses/interviews so far. They are very well educated, but more importantly than that, they are extremely approachable. I know that first hand.
I had applied for the class of 2011. And believe me, I went through the very torturous process of being on waitlist, and having the waiting game being played with me. We were told at the interviews that there might be some of us who might make waitlist and might be called in for the orientation, even if we're not accepted at the moment. And those that are called for orientation might be given the opportunity to be part of the class of 2012. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded so bizarre to be called in for orientation without an acceptance. Well guess what, I was the person who was called in for orientation while still on waitlist. And I am so glad I went. I got to speak with all the faculty, including the dean, and was offered an acceptance for class of 2012 (which I very gladly accepted) They went as far as even providing me with syllabi and other class information, in case I wanted to prepare myself.
I don't think I've had that kind of an immediate response from any school, where they were willing to go out of their way to accommodate a student. I am already friends with a few of the current 1st years, and they are AWESOME people!!! While I am bummed I couldn't be their classmate, I'm definitely looking forward to meeting a similar group of enthusiastic people that will make the TouroCOM class of 2012.
Good luck to you all. I know its a VERY difficult and hair-ripping process, but it is all worth it at the end!!
The letter said it will make us candidates for early decision, but based on the wording, I don't think it's definite. I may be wrong.
I just read the email again and it says
"In addition, just before classes begin, the committee will review the candidates with the highest potential and consider making them an offer for the following year class. This will require a deposit."
This makes me think that after they've pulled everyone off the waitlist that they want for this year's admission cycle, the highest qualified applicants left on the waitlist will be offered spots for next year. I think ur best bet would be to ask amathew about this process. She definetly knows it better than all of us can speculate.
I have a friend who goes to a Caribbean school (st george) and he came back and gave me his books, (lippincotts, netters etc) but he want these books back for the boards. We would be taking the board probably around the same time, and i wanted to know if these texts are useful for the boards or do they have there own books (like the mcat). Because if i need these books for the boards, i guess i would have buy them and give him his texts back. I see on the 2011 site that many students are selling there books, so i assume that the texts are not needed for the boards. Any advice?
I have a friend who goes to a Caribbean school (st george) and he came back and gave me his books, (lippincotts, netters etc) but he want these books back for the boards. We would be taking the board probably around the same time, and i wanted to know if these texts are useful for the boards or do they have there own books (like the mcat). Because if i need these books for the boards, i guess i would have buy them and give him his texts back. I see on the 2011 site that many students are selling there books, so i assume that the texts are not needed for the boards. Any advice?
From what I've seen, most people use a combination of board prep books such as First Aid and what not along with something like Kaplan Qbank for board prep. All of those books involves a ton of reading, and you realistically won't reread every one. I'm sure for the occasional reference, you could have a classmate lend one for an hour or two. There is a TON of information on the boards, but I've been led to believe that it is similar to the MCAT in that they won't hit the nitty gritty of every single thing. It is just knowing the major (and the occasional minor) points of A LOT of information.
Good news! I was waitlisted and wasn't even in the top ten (though I was close) and I got accepted! Which means the waitlist is moving!!!
Good luck everyone!
congrats
Good news! I was waitlisted and wasn't even in the top ten (though I was close) and I got accepted! Which means the waitlist is moving!!!
Good luck everyone!
congrats! Will you accept the offer?
i was looking at tourocom but i think my sci gpa is a problem...
mcat 30+ (will take soon, and confident i can pull it off after kaplan course)
sci gpa 2.66
overall 3.23
good lors
EC's: research, tutor, secretary premed club, volunteer at hospital in peds dept, shadowing
mcat 30+ (will take soon, and confident i can pull it off after kaplan course)
sci gpa 2.66
overall 3.23
good lors
EC's: research, tutor, secretary premed club, volunteer at hospital in peds dept, shadowing
i was looking at tourocom but i think my sci gpa is a problem...
mcat 30+ (will take soon, and confident i can pull it off after kaplan course)
sci gpa 2.66
overall 3.23
good lors
EC's: research, tutor, secretary premed club, volunteer at hospital in peds dept, shadowing
i would call them up. I think they have 3.0 science cutoff but i am not sure. It may be 3.0 gpa cutoff
i was looking at tourocom but i think my sci gpa is a problem...
mcat 30+ (will take soon, and confident i can pull it off after kaplan course)
sci gpa 2.66
overall 3.23
good lors
EC's: research, tutor, secretary premed club, volunteer at hospital in peds dept, shadowing
A science GPA like that is going to hurt you no matter where you apply. You might want to try taking some spring/summer science courses to increase your science GPA.
i was looking at tourocom but i think my sci gpa is a problem...
mcat 30+ (will take soon, and confident i can pull it off after kaplan course)
sci gpa 2.66
overall 3.23
good lors
EC's: research, tutor, secretary premed club, volunteer at hospital in peds dept, shadowing
I think you may be underestimating the MCAT a bit. You have not taken it, but are confident that you will score 30+. I took Kaplan and my end of course practice exams ranged from 26-30 and I got a 26 on the real thing. Your score is, unfortunately, somewhat dependent on lucking out and getting material with which you are very comfortable. The point is: you never know....
I do agree that your science GPA will be a problem even with a 30+ MCAT if you do manage to get that score. I had a 2.96 and felt that it also bogged me down.
so has anyone heard anything about the waitlist since Obed's email last Thursday? I know I'm being impatient, but he said he'd send updates weekly.
Nope, after the first email I haven't heard a thing back from him. I keep checking the email, hopefully he will send an update early this week
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Emailed me today. I was accepted off waitlist (I was number 10). I have already accepted a spot and have an apt. at LECOM so I think that I will be politely declining, but I am looking for some opinions on the subject. TouroNY or LECOM? Which is the better choice for med-school? I don't care about location, this is purely about an education.
Emailed me today. I was accepted off waitlist (I was number 10). I have already accepted a spot and have an apt. at LECOM so I think that I will be politely declining, but I am looking for some opinions on the subject. TouroNY or LECOM? Which is the better choice for med-school? I don't care about location, this is purely about an education.
it depends on alot of things. which lecom is it? erie? i interviewed there and did not like it all, it always snows and the dress code
. I dont know to much about education, i would contact colbert. He would have more info. It also depends where you would want to do core rotations, etc.I, too, interviewed at LECOM. I wouldn't have been miserable there. I think there are a lot of really good qualities about the school, and it's established, which is nice. I also prefer PBL to a regular curriculum. That being said, I felt more at home at TouroCOM and location is important to me. I think if I had a family, though, I'd choose LECOM. Not sure I'd want to raise kids in the city and I think a long commute (living in the suburbs and taking a train in) would be a strain.
I hope that helped. Good luck with your decision, and congrats!
I hope that helped. Good luck with your decision, and congrats!
Nope, after the first email I haven't heard a thing back from him. I keep checking the email, hopefully he will send an update early this week
Sorry for the double post, I wasn't thinking.
Did you get your email update today? Maybe Obed's reading this thread 🙂 And congrats to everyone who's gotten good news! Hopefully the rest of us will soon have something to celebrate with you. 👍
it depends on alot of things. which lecom is it? erie? i interviewed there and did not like it all, it always snows and the dress code. I dont know to much about education, i would contact colbert. He would have more info. It also depends where you would want to do core rotations, etc.
LECOM, Erie. I don't mind A LOT of snow, I do mind commuting to NYC every day. I really liked the atmosphere at Erie better than Tourocom (the armed guards at the doors were a little bit of a turn off). But the rotations in NY will probably be much better than Erie. Still leaning towards Erie. But I really appreciate the advice.
From my understanding, LECOM is centered around PBL. While we do have a PBL course, TouroCOM has a more lecture-based curriculum. I think it's hard for anyone to say that they prefer one or the other as most students have never had a PBL course, but it is definitely something to consider as far as the education goes. If you're someone who prefers to do more learning on your own than PBL may be for you. If you enjoy a more structured curriculum with more lectures than TouroCOM may be a better fit.
Sorry for the double post, I wasn't thinking.
Did you get your email update today? Maybe Obed's reading this thread 🙂 And congrats to everyone who's gotten good news! Hopefully the rest of us will soon have something to celebrate with you. 👍
just checked the email and he said the high waitlist is down to 18 people. so in just under two weeks it has been cut it half so it seems to be moving pretty quickly. Good luck!!
Emailed me today. I was accepted off waitlist (I was number 10). I have already accepted a spot and have an apt. at LECOM so I think that I will be politely declining, but I am looking for some opinions on the subject. TouroNY or LECOM? Which is the better choice for med-school? I don't care about location, this is purely about an education.
It looks like you have already made your decision 😉. If you feel more comfortable in one school compared to another, don't second guess your self.
just checked the email and he said the high waitlist is down to 18 people. so in just under two weeks it has been cut it half so it seems to be moving pretty quickly. Good luck!!
That's great! It does seem like it's moving pretty quickly. Good luck to you! It would be nice to have another fellow Tennesseean in the Class!
Good luck to everyone else too!

ANAT Clinical Anatomy and Embryology
IBT Introduction to Biochemistry and Tissues
OMM Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
PD Physical Diagnosis
PMPH Preventive Medicine and Public Health
ICM Introduction to Clinical Medicine
BSFOM Basic Sciences Foundation for Osteopathic Medicine
Components Physiology, Biochemistry, Histology and OMM
IMMUNO Introduction to Immunology and Microbiology
NEURO - Neuroanatomy
PBL - Problem Based Learning
IBT Introduction to Biochemistry and Tissues
OMM Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
PD Physical Diagnosis
PMPH Preventive Medicine and Public Health
ICM Introduction to Clinical Medicine
BSFOM Basic Sciences Foundation for Osteopathic Medicine
Components Physiology, Biochemistry, Histology and OMM
IMMUNO Introduction to Immunology and Microbiology
NEURO - Neuroanatomy
PBL - Problem Based Learning
akan congrat
do you mind tellin approximately where u were ranked after obed sent u e mail that mentioned there were only 18people on high waitinlg list??
I was ranked 11th on the list
do you mind tellin approximately where u were ranked after obed sent u e mail that mentioned there were only 18people on high waitinlg list??
I was ranked 11th on the list
it seems like most people who were accepted off the waitlist on monday will be accepting the offers. i don't know how quickly the waitlist will be moving this coming week. i'm so scared. i hope that there's still some spots available.
blah, i'll just keep my fingers crossed.
blah, i'll just keep my fingers crossed.
it seems like most people who were accepted off the waitlist on monday will be accepting the offers. i don't know how quickly the waitlist will be moving this coming week. i'm so scared. i hope that there's still some spots available.
blah, i'll just keep my fingers crossed.
Honestly if you are on the high wait list, i wouldn't worry too much about it IMO. Beginning of last month there were almost 30 seat available. Some people have dropped out since then, some were accepted. Due to the fact tourocom only interview student who has 3.0 and 24 mcat, many of them have gotten into other schools, and would be unwilling to change their mind, leasing options this late in the game. So even if you are 11 or 13, quite a few of the people above you will reject the offer. Another variable is NYCOM, their wait list hasn't moved yet. I know there are people who would go to NYCOM, if taken off. When their wait list starts to move, you will get a couple other withdrawals. Other wait list movement can also open up a couple spots. If you have other options, look into them, but there is good reason to have hope.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully you're right and the 18 of us still waiting will get in 🙂
I was 6 on the list after they narrowed down to 18 people and I got an acceptance today so they should be around to number 11 and 13 soon enough. good luck
I was 6 on the list after they narrowed down to 18 people and I got an acceptance today so they should be around to number 11 and 13 soon enough. good luck
congrats!! And thank you for the update, that's certainly good news!!! 😍
Ugh, I've become the geek who can't stop checking this thread for updates. I even took my Blackberry with me to the gym so I'd have it RIGHT THERE if I got an email from Obed... this waitlist thing is making me pathetic 😛
I wouldn't worry about it, I think there are many people on this forum, in the same position as you. I am always on SDN waiting to see if the waitlist i am on, will move lol (NYCOM). Hey its something that can alter your life, you allowed to be obsessed over it.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 270
- Views
- 71K
- Replies
- 395
- Views
- 101K
- Replies
- 226
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 300
- Views
- 57K
- Replies
- 2K
- Views
- 416K