TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry about it, I think there are many people on this forum, in the same position as you. I am always on SDN waiting to see if the waitlist i am on, will move lol (NYCOM). Hey its something that can alter your life, you allowed to be obsessed over it.

Thanks, you're right! :) Good luck with your waitlist. It would be great if you got into NYCOM and then I got your spot at Touro!

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh, I've become the geek who can't stop checking this thread for updates. I even took my Blackberry with me to the gym so I'd have it RIGHT THERE if I got an email from Obed... this waitlist thing is making me pathetic :p

LOL we are both in SDN geek club. meggielou do u have any acceptance from anywhere?

I have three waiting list including Touro NY and no acceptance.
I just graduated from college and this summer is painful waiting summer for future. Meggielou! if we both get accepted, first one I want to see among class mate is prolly u lol

Butterfly, when I saw that you had posted I was hoping it was to say that you had an acceptance! Soon, hopefully. I was in the same position as you last year, just graduated and on 3 waitlists. WVSOM accepted me for this year because the waitlist didn't move. I'm very happy to have that option l and it's a great school, but tourocom is a better fit and my first choice. I won't be upset to go to wv, but I really really really want tourocom!! Hopefully I'll see you there in a couple months!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Butterfly, when I saw that you had posted I was hoping it was to say that you had an acceptance! Soon, hopefully. I was in the same position as you last year, just graduated and on 3 waitlists. WVSOM accepted me for this year because the waitlist didn't move. I'm very happy to have that option l and it's a great school, but tourocom is a better fit and my first choice. I won't be upset to go to wv, but I really really really want tourocom!! Hopefully I'll see you there in a couple months!
Posted via Mobile Device

hey meggielou, this may be good news for us. I sent email to Obed to check my waiting list status and he suggested me to get ready to send deposits. He said I was getting close. I am not definely saying that I will get in but his email seemed a lot more hopeful :)

hey meggielou, this may be good news for us. I sent email to Obed to check my waiting list status and he suggested me to get ready to send deposits. He said I was getting close. I am not definely saying that I will get in but his email seemed a lot more hopeful :)
ooooh, that's great news!!! :)

well when obed sent e mail last time, he sent with headline saying "please be ready" right next to "wailtist update". so this should be good sign. I bumped upto 4th spot. Please I want this remaining summer to be happy ASAP.

also is it true MCAT average for Touro COM NY is 28 compared to last year 26? I think this is good sign for this school future. If this is the case, Touro MCAT average has surpassed other established Osteopathic medical schools even though MCAT in my opinion does not predict overall qualities. I guess being in NYC brings more competitiveness??(I am not trying to be biased)

also is it true MCAT average for Touro COM NY is 28 compared to last year 26? I think this is good sign for this school future. If this is the case, Touro MCAT average has surpassed other established Osteopathic medical schools even though MCAT in my opinion does not predict overall qualities. I guess being in NYC brings more competitiveness??(I am not trying to be biased)

Last year they did not have a 24 mcat cutoff, and still had an average mcat at 26. This year they did, so i am not surprised that the mcat is that high. Tourocom has a small class, so they can be a bit more selective. Tourocom is also a NY DO school that is OOS friendly, so that helps their averages, because more people apply and they are not restrained to picking instate people. It does not favor In State that much as some other schools. I would not be surprised if the average is 27ish since no one has under a 24 for the school. It is a good thing for the school.

I think this is an extremely smart thing that Tourocom is doing. Since they are OOS friendly, their stats are competitive. This can make them be considered a very competitive school in a few years. because they are searching for the best applicant across the country to build their reputation, not just the best applicants of the state.

As stated before, Tourocom have one of the best "high up there" administration, of any new school. I already believe they have the best admission consoler (Obed Figueroa), of all the schools I interviewed with. It amazing how truthful and informative he is to the applicants.

Last edited:
As stated before, Tourocom have one of the best "high up there" administration, of any new school. I already believe they have the best admission consoler (Obed Figueroa), of all the schools I interviewed with. It amazing how truthful and informative he is to the applicants.

agreed. He's been nothing but helpful and encouraging through this long waiting process! :thumbup:

Yeah, Obed is awesome! I like the update to your signature meggielou! Yayyayyy you are so close! :luck: Good luck to you and to butterfly!! We're rooting for y'all! :thumbup:

Allisome, I'm glad you like the signature, hopefully I can change it soon :)

Has anyone heard anything from Obed in the past two days? I think butterfly and I are the only ones left on SDN on the waitlist, no? It's taking everything I have not to be obnoxious and email him to find out what's going on!! I'm surprised he doesn't have to get restraining orders against waitlisters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Allisome, I'm glad you like the signature, hopefully I can change it soon :)

Has anyone heard anything from Obed in the past two days? I think butterfly and I are the only ones left on SDN on the waitlist, no? It's taking everything I have not to be obnoxious and email him to find out what's going on!! I'm surprised he doesn't have to get restraining orders against waitlisters.

Meggielou by the way, did they ever figure out that officer (the guy in your avatar) race in super troopers? I know they pretty much called him every race in the movie. That is one odd but funny movie.

Excuse me, are you saying meow?

hey i got this from colbert

Tourocom is having an end of the year block party on 124th Street right behind the school tomorrow starting a 1. They've blocked the street off so we can set up volleyball and have a BBQ, so if you're in the area and aren't busy you should definitely stop by. Let me know you think you're going to come by so I can introduce myself.

If anyone is in the area, and could come lemme know. It would be cool to meet some of you

omg, i hate this wait. please obed, just put me out of my misery and let me know.

i emailed him today and he said that he started pulling people and will update me in a couple of days. i'm #9 on the waitlist, right now. i hope i get pulled soon. :scared:

omg, i hate this wait. please obed, just put me out of my misery and let me know.

i emailed him today and he said that he started pulling people and will update me in a couple of days. i'm #9 on the waitlist, right now. i hope i get pulled soon. :scared:

I know how you feel. Butterfly said that everyone moved up 2 spots today, making me #4. It's torture.

I know how you feel. Butterfly said that everyone moved up 2 spots today, making me #4. It's torture.

2 spots; what a slow, torturous wait. Hopefully the high waitlist gets cut in half this week. I also emailed Obed asking how much a deposit would be. He said $3000. :eek:

I hope I can get the money to him within a week if I get pulled off the list.

2 spots; what a slow, torturous wait. Hopefully the high waitlist gets cut in half this week. I also emailed Obed asking how much a deposit would be. He said $3000. :eek:

did he happen to mention anything about next year, like if people on the waitlist would definitely be offered spots for 2009?

3000 dollars that is huge money!!!!
I am still glad I am gettin close. I really want to get in this year. every year, u have to be more competitive and it is scary that so many people are applyin to med school. As I am a college graduate this year, our graduating class faced rough time because of bad economy. Therefore, more people are applyin to med school or other professional schools I guess. as painful our waiting process goes,I am sure there will be reward later on. I am also learning that nothing in life comes easy. Good luck to all DOwannabes who are sincerly waiting

3000 dollars that is huge money!!!!
I am still glad I am gettin close. I really want to get in this year. every year, u have to be more competitive and it is scary that so many people are applyin to med school. As I am a college graduate this year, our graduating class faced rough time because of bad economy. Therefore, more people are applyin to med school or other professional schools I guess. as painful our waiting process goes,I am sure there will be reward later on. I am also learning that nothing in life comes easy. Good luck to all DOwannabes who are sincerly waiting

the 3000 goes to your tuition this year, so it isn't that bad if you are sure you want to go to tourocom.

did he happen to mention anything about next year, like if people on the waitlist would definitely be offered spots for 2009?

no he didn't mention anything about being offered spots for 2009, but then again i didn't ask. lol. :)

i just got a spot this morning at TOURO - Obed called me. I'll decide over the next few days, but I'll probably give it up for one of you guys to take - im pretty deep into my plans of going to PCOM already.

i just got a spot this morning at TOURO - Obed called me. I'll decide over the next few days, but I'll probably give it up for one of you guys to take - im pretty deep into my plans of going to PCOM already.

If I could kiss you, I would!!!! :soexcited::clap::bow::banana::biglove::love:

also, what number were you on the waitlist at the last email??

well i emailed obed for an updated clinical list and he gave me a new list. With a couple of changes, i knew they thought a couple hospitals were, small and they replace them with bigger hospitals. I think Bronx lebanon and Staten Island are new which are fairly large hospitals, and have 750 beds. So i guess that a good thing :)

TOUROCOM

Clinical Rotation/Clerkship Sites

Bronx Lebanon Hospital
Interfaith Medical Center
New Parkway Hospital
North General Hospital
St. John’s Episcopal
Staten Island University Hospital
TouroCOM’s Family Health Center
Trinitas Hospital
Primary Care Physician’s Offices/Clinics

I think admission office is very hectic today. I am waiting !!!!!!!

well if your #2, and the guy above states that he will not except the offer, it looks like the acceptance is yours :rolleyes:

does anyone know a good neighborhood or condos or apartment to stay in NY close to touro (at most 30 min) away and have an indoor garage. price depends on how nice the place is but i want to look at my options first

well if your #2, and the guy above states that he will not except the offer, it looks like the acceptance is yours :rolleyes:
That's what I was thinking! Getting excited...

does anyone know a good neighborhood or condos or apartment to stay in NY close to touro (at most 30 min) away and have an indoor garage. price depends on how nice the place is but i want to look at my options first

If you're looking for a place with an indoor garage you're going to be spending a pretty penny. You're best bet is to go through a broker (even though they're crooks) because finding a place like that on your own is going to be tough.

Why not just live in scarsdale or somewhere just outside the city, and take the train in? Tons of people rent out their basement apartments to students up there, and they're a lot cheaper and bigger than what you'd get in the city. And its really not that inconvenient. At least in my limited experience, I didn't find it to be.

You can live in queens and have a garage, Jamaica estates is next to the F line. But it takes 45 min. You might be able to find closer places in queens or Brooklyn that will have garages. I currently live an hour away, and have a garage, but it my parents home :p. It is insanely expensive to have an garage in the city. It will be a few hundred dollars a month in the city.

UGH!!! The more i think about it, the more id rather be in NYC next year... I think.

HEYY YYYYY guys
I just got off waiting list. Obed called me
so excited

The moment will come to you guys
Meggielou, it is your turn

I am roooting for you

congrats

HEYY YYYYY guys
so excited

I am roooting for you

CONGRATS! That's awesome!! I bet it feels greaaat....Meggielou you'll be next!!

UGH!!! The more i think about it, the more id rather be in NYC next year... I think.

Yeahhh that's what I like to hear! I can't wait for NYC!

Have you heard anything from Western yet about waitlist movement?

[QUOTR=Butterfly23;6799532]HEYY YYYYY guys
so excited

I am roooting for you[/QUOTE]

Yay! Congrats again. I just got a call from obed saying to be ready...

[QUOTR=Butterfly23;6799532]HEYY YYYYY guys
so excited

I am roooting for you

didnt the guy that is going to pcom say that he needs to think about it for a couple of days, but probably will withdraw. If that is true, then he or she has not withdrawn yet, and when that happens it will go to number #3. If #3 reject thats offer, the seat is all yours!!:D Dont want to get you too excited, but that could be your seat:p

didnt the guy that is going to pcom say that he needs to think about it for a couple of days, but probably will withdraw. If that is true, then he or she has not withdrawn yet, and when that happens it will go to number #3. If #3 reject thats offer, the seat is all yours!!:D Dont want to get you too excited, but that could be your seat:p

Ooooh I knoooow, I'm trying not to think about it though! Obed called me today (well, yesterday now, I always forget that when I get home from bartending it's technically the next day) to make sure I'd have the deposit ready and that my FAFSA was all set. Let me tell you, my phone will be glued to me until I get that call!!:love:

I've been watching this waitlist drama unfold and just wanted to let you know that I'm rooting for you! Can't wait to meet you next year.

I've been watching this waitlist drama unfold and just wanted to let you know that I'm rooting for you! Can't wait to meet you next year.

Thanks, aaw! :) I would say I can't wait to meet you next year, but I don't want to jinx myself. I'm not technically in yet!!! But yeah, I'm really excited to (hopefully) meet you and everyone else on here! And I can't wait to make a post with the word "acceptance" in it. Followed by a lot of dancing bananas.

You can live in queens and have a garage, Jamaica estates is next to the F line. But it takes 45 min. You might be able to find closer places in queens or Brooklyn that will have garages. I currently live an hour away, and have a garage, but it my parents home :p. It is insanely expensive to have an garage in the city. It will be a few hundred dollars a month in the city.

i don't really mind paying the extra bucks. i do an income that can pay for it while in med school. but the cheaper the better. i'll check out the places you guys told me about. thanks for your help. i'll probably move down there a week or two early so i can find a place.

Thanks, aaw! :) I would say I can't wait to meet you next year, but I don't want to jinx myself. I'm not technically in yet!!! But yeah, I'm really excited to (hopefully) meet you and everyone else on here! And I can't wait to make a post with the word "acceptance" in it. Followed by a lot of dancing bananas.

Good Luck Meggi

Thanks, Gold! Hopefully tomorrow... :)

good luck... but you dont need it. Your like ranked 1 or 2 at worst on the list. You will get in

Status
Not open for further replies.