TOUROCOM-NY Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, those who got the acceptance e-mail, was there an attached response form? My e-mail did not have any attachments, but I'm supposed to use the "attached response form" when mailing in my deposit. I'm trying to track it down, and no one at the school is answering the phone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, those who got the acceptance e-mail, was there an attached response form? My e-mail did not have any attachments, but I'm supposed to use the "attached response form" when mailing in my deposit. I'm trying to track it down, and no one at the school is answering the phone!
nevermind, I found it!

Why hasn't the school fixed this problem of not attaching the response form to acceptance e-mails? How hard can it be? :confused:

Also, has anyone received a "hard copy" of the acceptance and financial forms that Obed promised of when he received our deposits? My deposit has been received for a while now...

Members don't see this ad :)
That number makes me nervous. Any idea when they will start pulling people of the waitlist?

How did everyone who actually has seen inside the building like it? It was suppose to be finished by April 1st right?

How did everyone who actually has seen inside the building like it? It was suppose to be finished by April 1st right?

It is very large, spacious ( same thing?) and getting rebuilt practically from the ground up. I "accidentally" walked in when I was around and I am willing to bet ~120K that it will be spectacular and state of the art. Plus we get to use everything for the first time! I plan on again accidentally walking in when I am there this weekend and will let you know what I see:smuggrin:

Does anyone have the list of the hospitals that students will be rotating at during their 3rd year?

Mr. Figueroa is the most impossible person in the world to get in touch with. Anyone out there share my pain? How were other people able to get in touch with him? Thanks for your help guys.

Mr. Figueroa is the most impossible person in the world to get in touch with. Anyone out there share my pain? How were other people able to get in touch with him? Thanks for your help guys.

I would try email. That's been the best way so far I think to get a hold of him.

Actually, I believe the school was closed yesterday and today for the final two days of Passover which would explain the nobody answering the phones today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong but wasn't the school also closed or open for only a limited amount of hours last week as well due to passover?

I have my interview on the 18th. I've never been to NY so I booked two nights in the Comfort Inn on west 71st. The price I got was double the estimate on the list of hotels the school sent:eek: . ouch. Did I not do something right, forget to say something?
Anyway should I take the subway to the interview or cab? :confused: Any advice is appreciated. I want to see the Broklyn Bridge, empire state building an stuff, you know. What's the best way to get around to do that. How hard is it to navigate on the subway?/ Thanks

i got an email from obed today stating that they had received my deposit...one step closer to becoming a doctor (only 4 years to go ;) )

anyway, im not sure that this will be good news for people, but i figured it would be something of interest to those reading this thread...he gave the figures on how many spots are officially taken out of the 125 available..and we are now up to 97 deposits received!

i tell you this so you can make yourself known to the admissions committee...if you want this, make sure they remember you, make sure you stand out in the crowd (in the best possible way, of course)

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!:hardy:

i got an email from obed today stating that they had received my deposit...one step closer to becoming a doctor (only 4 years to go ;) )

anyway, im not sure that this will be good news for people, but i figured it would be something of interest to those reading this thread...he gave the figures on how many spots are officially taken out of the 125 available..and we are now up to 97 deposits received!

i tell you this so you can make yourself known to the admissions committee...if you want this, make sure they remember you, make sure you stand out in the crowd (in the best possible way, of course)

When did you interview? Also, did he say when they were interviewing till?

When did you interview? Also, did he say when they were interviewing till?

I interviewed on 3/21 and received my acceptance email on 4/2 (b/c there was issues with my email..so i shoulda received that email sooner)

in any case, there has been no date set for ending interviews..at least not one ive heard

if i were you, id call the admissions office and find out..cause according to aacomas tourocom should be accepting apps until june, right?

good luck agassi (and everyone else who is applying):)

I interviewed on 3/21 and received my acceptance email on 4/2 (b/c there was issues with my email..so i shoulda received that email sooner)

in any case, there has been no date set for ending interviews..at least not one ive heard

if i were you, id call the admissions office and find out..cause according to aacomas tourocom should be accepting apps until june, right?

good luck agassi (and everyone else who is applying):)

Thanks DOMO!

Does anyone know if people who have already paid a deposit may end up picking a different school? And if so out of 125 accepted students how many may do that?

any chances we'll get called off wait-list with just 28 more spots?

I hate to say it but it doesn't look promising

It should become more clear after May 15th (when another $1000 is due) whether those who have accepted are indeed all starting in the fall. Though it's a complete assumption, I think that it may be a large waiting list for a reason (perhaps some anticipation?). There is also the possibility of automatic acceptances for next year being offered... I doubt they even know at this point. Keep your chins up, many months for your status to change.

Good luck.

It should become more clear after May 15th (when another $1000 is due) whether those who have accepted are indeed all starting in the fall. Though it's a complete assumption, I think that it may be a large waiting list for a reason (perhaps some anticipation?). There is also the possibility of automatic acceptances for next year being offered... I doubt they even know at this point. Keep your chins up, many months for your status to change.

Good luck.

how did you hear about the automatic acceptance for next year's class? did obed mention it?

Does anyone know if people who have already paid a deposit may end up picking a different school? And if so out of 125 accepted students how many may do that?

Always possible--I for one am in that boat and am starting to lean towards my other school choice. They already have my $2000 which will suck to lose, but I want to be certain of my choice.

any chances we'll get called off wait-list with just 28 more spots?

Of course! I think lateapplicant made some good points.

Good luck.

After May 15, you'll know who paid the second deposits and who didn't. Moreover, during the summer, as waitlists at ALL med schools will move, people will drop their spots and I'm almost positive the waitlist will move at Touro-NY. so keep your head up and always have a optimistic attitude.

i'd like to think that there will be wait list movement during the summer. you have to think that if other schools that have been around for longer have a lot of people that get accepted at another school they like better, then there's bound to be that many, if not more people like that at a brand new school especially.

Always possible--I for one am in that boat and am starting to lean towards my other school choice. They already have my $2000 which will suck to lose, but I want to be certain of my choice.

Who is going to give us free acupuncture in NY??????????Resist all reasons against NY...........TOURO is your best choice!:thumbup:

I hope you make the right choice though....:luck:
mama3

Mama3---LoL!!

But actually, either way I will end up in NY, since the community health center I have been assigned to by ATSU is in Brooklyn. So years 2,3 and 4 will be in the NYC. So if i do go to ATSU, you Touro folks hopefuly will let me use your library.

In all truthfulness it is a really tough decision. And i am being as methodical and thorough as i can.

You can always come visit Brooklyn to get some free acupuncture--just bring some home cooking as a payment:D

Obed told me this very day that 86 were received... where did you get your info?

Not that it's a huge difference, but I also heard 86 deposits have been paid. Though I believe those that just recently sent in their deposits received an email stating 97 spots are filled... so perhaps there are 11 accepted students they are expecting cheques from? The real number most likely falls between the two.

I'll be ecstatic if they offer me either seat number 87 or 98.

As for the speculation that they may offer those on the high-waitlist automatic acceptance for next year: it's just my guess based on the other TOURO schools have done, something they said they would consider, the fact it would make their lives easier next year, and me personally hoping that's the case if I am waitlisted.

Obed told me this very day that 86 were received... where did you get your info?

When they received my deposit they sent me an email that read:

Dear Students,

I am so happy for you all. We are going to have the greatest, strongest
and diverse student body. I have been so impressed with you all. We
are at 97 out of 125 to date. Please make sure you get in all your
transcripts to Ms. Copeland (pre-req's included). If you need to furnish us with updates prior to matriculation, please make sure you do so.

they are sending mixed messages, huh?

I interviewed on 4/11, so here's a little update...

There were 10 or 11 candidates being interviewed. Overall, a very
friendly bunch.

Just about every one of the administrators I encountered seemed
light-hearted, positive, and in excellent spirits. They seem to be
enjoying themselves and feeling good about the direction of the
incoming class. Even the Dean, Dr Diamond seemed rather playful.

Construction is still incomplete in the main building, so all we saw
was the outside. The main entrance will be on 124th St.

We toured a local hospital, which will be one of the clinical sites
(and also used by Mount Sinai SOM). To be honest, it was a little
bleak. But that's kind of the way hospitals are. I've never seen
a hospital like the ones they show on "House" or "Grey's Anatomy".
And of course, you can't smell through the TV, which is half the
experience...

On the 11th, I think they said they had received ~80 deposits.
Obviously more may have arrived since then.

There was some discussion of maintaining the waitlist through
the Summer, and even having a few waitlisted candidates come
to orientation in case someone doesn't show up. If there's a
space, they get it. If not, they're automatically guaranteed a
spot for the next year. NOTE: They didn't say this was definitely
going to happen, just that it was under consideration.

Obed said he's going to stop sending acceptances by email, and
stick with snail mail for now so as to avoid any technological
mishaps.

Harlem itself seems quite vibrant and action-packed. For anyone
visiting NY for the first time and wanting to see other sites, I don't
recommend cabbing it unless you've got a lot of extra money you
want to get rid of (in which case, please IM me and I'll send you an
address). Take a little time to figure out the subway system... it's
what you'll likely have to use if you get in and decide to come to
school here, so you may as well check it out. It's tricky at first, but
if you can't figure it out, you might want to reconsider going to med
school! :smuggrin:

As far as I know, they're scheduling interviews through the week
of 4/25-ish.

Best of luck to everyone.

Ok here is the deal. I decided to apply to Touro at the last minute, so I am mad late in the application process. I am still waiting for AACOMAS to mail my application to Touro, should be any day now.

Anyways, heres my question. How long did it take you guys to get a secondary? I have tried calling and email to find out if it would be ok to just send in my secondary (i found it on their website) but have not gotten through or a response from anyone. Do you think it would be ok to just send it in?

How long did it take you guys to get a secondary? I have tried calling and email to find out if it would be ok to just send in my secondary (i found it on their website) but have not gotten through or a response from anyone. Do you think it would be ok to just send it in?

:hijacked:

AACOMAS takes forever. Once they verify your profile, it might not even be right. If they get it in soon and it's correct, it typically takes a school several weeks to review your application. The later you are, the more apps are in front of yours. The bonus for you may be that we're so late in the app process, that there aren't that many files left to review, so yours could make it to the top of the list pretty quickly. But it's very likely that they have plenty of applicants that they're still actively reviewing and considering. I think about 2000 applied for 125 spots (obviously, some of those admitted will attend elsewhere, which happens at any med school).

I am sure Touro will be more responsive after they receive your primary, but it may be very late in the game by then. I think you will need to be a strong applicant to have any chance.

Should you send in the secondary unasked? Your call, but I would wait until they ask for it, or I would call / email / or even stop by until they give it to you. What's the point of your sending it in if they're not going to review it? When they ask you to send it in, that means they are ready to look at it (this applies to Touro-NY, but not to most med schools, which automatically send out secondaries without screening).

All that said, it is late in the application process. Really late. You already know that. To be successful you'll have to be a strong applicant. Good luck.

Everyone on the waitlist probably hates me for giving advice to people just applying now (and who did not read through the thread)... but what can I say, I have sympathy for my fellow late applicants.

From when AACOMAS listed my mailing status "new" to my mailbox: 10-14 days.

Yes, but there is also another form/waiver in which you have to sign and return. If you are going to jump the gun and send it in ahead of receiving the form via mail make sure to write your SSN and "DO Program" or "DO Application Fee" on the check/money order.

The other form/waiver is the "Technical Agreement Form". It has similar information, though is not quite identical. to that available underneath the application link on their site. You may wish to print this, sign it, and send it in. Make sure to print your name then add your signature as that is what the mail version requires.

Best of Luck.

Three additional points to consider though: (1) there is no guarantee they will review your secondary any quicker if you take this route; (2) they may look fondly or disapprovingly on your decision to try and get a one up on the competition; and (3) as mentioned TOURONY reviews your primary before sending you a secondary so be sure you are comfortable with the possibility of losing $200.

Thanks for the advice guys. I actually got a response from Obed and he told me that I need to wait, so thats what I am going to do. I also spoke with AACOMAS and they said my app would go out with the next batch, hopefully thats soon.
I know I have the stats, I just hope the late app dont screw me over.

Hey guys,

I just have a general question for you all. Does anyone have a phone number or extention number for Ms. Copeland? I need to get in touch with her and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Hey, Ms. Copeland's phone number is (212) 851-1198 Ext. 2010. I hope this helps!
-Rachel

P.S. Shoutout to all you guys who interviewed on 4/11 ! It was great to meet you all, and I hope to be classmates with you next year! Let me know what everyone ends up doing :)

There was some discussion of maintaining the waitlist through
the Summer, and even having a few waitlisted candidates come
to orientation in case someone doesn't show up. If there's a
space, they get it. If not, they're automatically guaranteed a
spot for the next year. NOTE: They didn't say this was definitely
going to happen, just that it was under consideration.

QUOTE]

Do you know if Obed said this during your interview or did Dr. Diamond mention this?

Hey, Ms. Copeland's phone number is (212) 851-1198 Ext. 2010. I hope this helps!
-Rachel

P.S. Shoutout to all you guys who interviewed on 4/11 ! It was great to meet you all, and I hope to be classmates with you next year! Let me know what everyone ends up doing :)

Thanks for your help Rachel. Hopefully we see eachother in class in the fall.:)

Answer to SeaBreeze: I also heard this at my interview.... from Obed. He said that NYCOM did this and they were considering it as well, but not yet sure.

Who else out there is interviewing on April 25th? Lets get in touch. Where are you guys coming from? Where do you plan on staying?

From the people that have interviewed recently, any updates on how many waitlisted and how their system works?

When they received my deposit they sent me an email that read:

Dear Students,

I am so happy for you all. We are going to have the greatest, strongest
and diverse student body. I have been so impressed with you all. We
are at 97 out of 125 to date. Please make sure you get in all your
transcripts to Ms. Copeland (pre-req's included). If you need to furnish us with updates prior to matriculation, please make sure you do so.

they are sending mixed messages, huh?

Yeah so it seems. This process is so aggrivating! I hope it all ends soon (in our favor of course!)

Hmmm... yea... I sent my deposit in too..

Hey EastWest, you stole my college motto! Pick Touro, our little Harlem school needs as many people with that attitude that it can get...

Go to your other school and open up some spots for us poor waitlisters! :) Just kidding...obviously you'll go where you want to.

Does anybody know how many waitlisters were wailisted high? Is it the third from the total number or any other random number based on the stats?