TOUROCOM-NY Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey EastWest, you stole my college motto! Pick Touro, our little Harlem school needs as many people with that attitude that it can get...

which college uses this motto? Im assuming u mean the quote from Horace Mann;)

While i know Touro Harlem will be great, for working with underserved communities in community based centers, which is what i want to do in my career, ATSU wins hands down. And in NYC, being an "in-house" student for Lutheran Healthcare family centers in Brooklyn is what clinched it for me. But i do look forward to seeing Touro Harlems success

Members don't see this ad.

Go to your other school and open up some spots for us poor waitlisters! :) Just kidding...obviously you'll go where you want to.

Your wish is granted!!!!;)

Members don't see this ad :)
just wanted to see if anyone has heard updates on the dress code...

if anyone has an interview soon, you should ask...PLEASE

i emailed obed about it, but havent heard back yet...ill let you know if i find out before someone posts on here...

later guys :hardy:

i got an email from obed today saying that they have 110 deposits sent in. eek!

Obed just informed me that all accepted students will be recieving something so that our questions will be answered. So we'll figure out stuff then.

just wanted to see if anyone has heard updates on the dress code...

if anyone has an interview soon, you should ask...PLEASE

i emailed obed about it, but havent heard back yet...ill let you know if i find out before someone posts on here...

later guys :hardy:

got an email saying all interviews are on hold until further notice... what ever that means.

you've got to be kidding about the class being filled
how do you know that?
did you receive an email from obed?

if people were getting emails yesterday saying 110 were paid, i doubt its full yet.

Did someone get an e-mail that the class is actually full? There are still interviews being held next week; why would they hold interviews if the class is full (to lengthen the waitlist perhaps???)? Also, the aacomas application deadline is june 1 I believe... if they were going to fill the class so soon, then why didn't them make the application deadline earlier as well....
Obed....Cammarata.....Diamond.... Hmmmmm???:confused:

Did someone get an e-mail that the class is actually full? There are still interviews being held next week; why would they hold interviews if the class is full (to lengthen the waitlist perhaps???)? Also, the aacomas application deadline is june 1 I believe... if they were going to fill the class so soon, then why didn't them make the application deadline earlier as well....
Obed....Cammarata.....Diamond.... Hmmmmm???:confused:

Very simple, first come first serve. For many of us, our AACOMAS apps were sent to Touro NY the DAY we received an email from aacomas stating Touro NY received provisional accreditation in Dec. 06. I paid the $200 app fee right away, and intervied early in Feb and accepted in Feb.. That means if you are just applying now then you are WAY behind the rest of the crowd. BTW, at this time of the year most folks are preparing to begin the AMCAS or AACOMAS application and most schools have already filled their incoming classes.

Best thing you can probably do is mentally prepare to begin the application process for next year come June 1st, if you dont already have an acceptance or at least a waitlist. As it has been said frequently on this site, the earlier you send in your apps the better....and at this point the odds are definetely against you...

Very simple, first come first serve. For many of us, our AACOMAS apps were sent to Touro NY the DAY we received an email from aacomas stating Touro NY received provisional accreditation in Dec. 06. I paid the $200 app fee right away, and intervied early in Feb and accepted in Feb.. That means if you are just applying now then you are WAY behind the rest of the crowd. BTW, at this time of the year most folks are preparing to begin the AMCAS or AACOMAS application and most schools have already filled their incoming classes.

Best thing you can probably do is mentally prepare to begin the application process for next year come June 1st, if you dont already have an acceptance or at least a waitlist. As it has been said frequently on this site, the earlier you send in your apps the better....and at this point the odds are definetely against you...

This isn't a line up to buy icecream, is it? While what you say has a lot of truth to it, I'm sure the person you're responding to is aware of their situation because it's the reason they're venting. There must be a more constructive and friendly response than the "well it's because I sent my application in early like a good applicant and you didn't". You're already in at your school of choice, why put the effort into talking down another person who's already having a tough time. Life isn't as straight-forward as it seems and I'd like to give my fellow late applicants the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps it wasn't merely a case of procrastination and so what if it was, this is a big decision.

Good luck to everyone still interviewing or waiting for a response. As important as applying early is, being first in line does not guarantee you a spot into medical school on a sugar cone and being at the back of the line doesn't mean your **** out of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh ****, the class is filled!

I meant that the class is *ALMOST* filled. Sorry to scare you guys! I was just surprised when I saw that 110 deposits were sent already. I'm sure they will continue interviewing till May 15th (deposit due date), and accept more students as people decide to attend other schools. :luck:

This isn't a line up to buy icecream, is it? While what you say has a lot of truth to it, I'm sure the person you're responding to is aware of their situation because it's the reason they're venting. There must be a more constructive and friendly response than the "well it's because I sent my application in early like a good applicant and you didn't". You're already in at your school of choice, why put the effort into talking down another person who's already having a tough time. Life isn't as straight-forward as it seems and I'd like to give my fellow late applicants the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps it wasn't merely a case of procrastination and so what if it was, this is a big decision.

Good luck to everyone still interviewing or waiting for a response. As important as applying early is, being first in line does not guarantee you a spot into medical school on a sugar cone and being at the back of the line doesn't mean your **** out of luck.

I never implied that applying early was the ONLY necessity to get into med school. All of us going through this process realize it is about grades, MCAT, ECs and everything else. It is long, difficult and tiring process, period..!!

With this said, if all other things are equal the plain and simple reason why Touro NY (as well as mostly ALL med schools) are filled(or close to it) is because there were thousands of other applications that been submitted and processed and seen by these schools since June 2006 (or Dec 2006 for Touro NY). At this point not only are spots filled, but there is a long line of waitlisted people ahead of you waiting for a spot to open up. All of these people in all regards are equal in grades, mcat etc. to what you bring

It has nothing to do with Obed, Dr. Diamond or anyone else.

While yes there will be a few stories of people still getting in at this point, for the majority who have not gotten in yet(or waitlisted) they are probably going to have to try again for next years class. To be applying at this point in time indicates a few things to me: Either you are a "DO backup school" applicant who did not get the positive response from MD schools they were hoping for, and so are now hoping DO. Or, you have not researched very well the process of applying to medical school--because all sources say the same thing, it is better to apply earlier. Another possibility is that for whatever reason, you now feel impatient about starting medical school and believe you cannot wait any more to get started with med school and so have to apply now for this years class, instead of waiting another year.

For whatever reasons, I am being straight forward with you--your chances of getting an acceptance are significantly lower now than 3-6 months ago no matter how much lateapplicant may 'hope the best' for you or want to give you a sugar coated ice cream cone. If you are already in the pipeline(paid your app fees, interview date, etc.) then you have nothing to lose and I wish you the best of luck. But if not, the long year between now and next year when you start med school flies by so fast. Just relax, find a bit of patience and and get ready to apply EARLY. Good luck.

For whatever reasons, I am being straight forward with you--your chances of getting an acceptance are significantly lower now than 3-6 months ago no matter how much lateapplicant may 'hope the best' for you or want to give you a sugar coated ice cream cone. If you are already in the pipeline(paid your app fees, interview date, etc.) then you have nothing to lose and I wish you the best of luck. But if not, the long year between now and next year when you start med school flies by so fast. Just relax, find a bit of patience and and get ready to apply EARLY. Good luck.

Editor's Note:
I never implied distribution of sugar coated ice cream cones, especially not to bad girls and boys who didn't apply early, so please do not private message me....

EastWest you could have just copy and pasted your original post. One that I will admit is a necessary for those who have not yet applied, but not at all for those aware they 've decreased their chances by applying late.

I'm sure someone is out there reading this who applied just recently and might not get in because of it that's like, "OHHHhh, that's why I have decreased chances, I had no idea :rolleyes:. Thanks EastWest! :thumbup:"

Editor's Note:
I never implied distribution of sugar coated ice cream cones, especially not to bad girls and boys who didn't apply early, so please do not private message me....

EastWest you could have just copy and pasted your original post. One that I will admit is a necessary for those who have not yet applied, but not at all for those aware they 've decreased their chances by applying late.

I'm sure someone is out there reading this who applied just recently and might not get in because of it that's like, "OHHHhh, that's why I have decreased chances, I had no idea :rolleyes:. Thanks EastWest! :thumbup:"

Just like they will say "OOHHHHH I WILL get into medical school because lateapplicant says I STILL have a chance!! I will WISH my way into med school..":love: :thumbup:

Anyways, Im over this friendly disagreement. We could undoubtedly waste each others Sunday going back and forth. Realistically, everyone needs to figure this out themselves.

Never intended to PM you if I did....apologies...

Just like they will say "OOHHHHH I WILL get into medical school because lateapplicant says I STILL have a chance!! I will WISH my way into med school..":love: :thumbup: ...

Ha ha... good call. The turn from serious EastWest to joking EastWest is slowly winning me over.

Well, it was an enjoyable friendly disagreement while it lasted.

Never intended to PM you if I did....apologies...

Oh and you didn't PM me, that was my apparently unsuccesful joke - that "I didn't promise readers ice cream, so don't (readers) PM me"

Sincerely Yours,

Stubburnly Optimistic Late Applicant

Hey Guys,
I've been accepted to and decided to attend TOUROCOM-NY. I am very excited! I am a little bit worried about housing as well, I have been craigslisting the apartments in lower harlem and the upper west side of Manhattan and it is looking to be very expensive. Besides giving us a list of brokers, has anyone heard about how the school plans to assist us in finding housing? How about roommate lists? Anything else?

Hey guys,

I have a few quick questions for those of you who interviewed recently.

When you arrived at TOURO for your interview, was it clear where you were supposed to report to?

How is the progress on the building coming along? Are they letting people look at it yet?

Thanks for your help and good luck to all.

Hey guys,

I have a few quick questions for those of you who interviewed recently.

When you arrived at TOURO for your interview, was it clear where you were supposed to report to?

How is the progress on the building coming along? Are they letting people look at it yet?

Thanks for your help and good luck to all.

You turn right from the elevator and head to the end of the hall, pick up your folder, say hello to whomever you see walking around, and they'll guide you into another room where all the other applicants.

When I interviewed we were still unable to visit inside the building for liability reasons, so the tour was around the building.

Thanks! is there a facebook/myspace etc. group for touro nyc students?

Yay! I'm in too :). Provisionally that is. I'm supposed to take another english course first. I'm going to try to get credit for the courses I took in college (writing classes, but in other departments). Anyways, I'm definitely going in the fall. Off to explore the class of 2011 groups. . .

I interviewed 4/18, and received my letter 4/24.

The class was supposed to be 125 by the time it was finished I think.

Has anyone in the recent interview pools seen the inside of the building? Or does anyone have a progress report from Obed? Thanks!

I'm in as well! I interviewed 4/11 and received my letter 4/24. Can't wait to start, and congrats to all!

last i heard 110 students are matriculating. (ie sent in their deposits)

For anyone that got that most recent financial aid email that CC'd everyone ( :laugh: )....

I counted 108...might have missed 1 or two since it's formatted all to hell

For anyone that got that most recent financial aid email that CC'd everyone ( :laugh: )....

I counted 108...might have missed 1 or two since it's formatted all to hell

dont tell me you sat there and actually counted the email addresses....i dont know if i should be in awe or shake my head and tell you to get another hobby...with that said..thanks for the # :)

I just talked to someone in the office and they said today was the last day of interviews for now...they're putting it on hold and will start looking at the waitlisters. So good luck to everyone (including myself) who's waiting to hear something good..BTW just curious, but how many of you who's already sent a deposit to touro is considering another school (other than eastwest) anyone? just wondering if there will actually be a movement on the waitlist :-/

dont tell me you sat there and actually counted the email addresses....i dont know if i should be in awe or shake my head and tell you to get another hobby...with that said..thanks for the # :)

I just talked to someone in the office and they said today was the last day of interviews for now...they're putting it on hold and will start looking at the waitlisters. So good luck to everyone (including myself) who's waiting to hear something good..BTW just curious, but how many of you who's already sent a deposit to touro is considering another school (other than eastwest) anyone? just wondering if there will actually be a movement on the waitlist :-/

LOL! Yeah I need another hobby :)

I'm at work and since getting an acceptance to NSU in early Nov I've been less than productive :laugh:. I really should get back on the ball...

Best of luck to you too! :luck:

I just called, not sure with whom it was I spoke too, but he confirmed that interviews are now on hold. I asked him where that puts me (I am a very late applicant, havent interviewed yet). He said something like they have 100 people with secondaries and another 100 on waitlist, and that he doesnt want to discourage me but chances are very slim. It all depends if they even decide to open up interviews again.

Wish I had something more up beat to report.

I also just received an email from AACOMAS saying that TOUROCOM has moved their deadline up. They are now only accepting applications until 11:59 pm on Apirl 30th do to the number of qualified applications that have already been recieved. Not sure if this was sent to everyone, but that would be my guess.

Yes, everyone got that email. Like EASTWEST said before it was getting pretty pointless applying there now considering the class was about full and there were about 100 people already on waitlist. I'm glad they decided to move the date up, because it would suck for people wasting money on a school that won't even look at their app. I know this is good news for all the waitlisters too, because it will give them more of a chance at movement. Well good luck to all. Since the $1,000 is due soon for those who got accepted early on, the real face of our class should be taking shape. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Does anyone know when the admissions committee will begin reviewing those on the wait-list?

Congratulations Rachel!

I really hope to be posting with similar news soon. Is anyone else still waiting for the snail mail response from 4/11? I am used to snail mail being notoriously slow for me, but it would be nice to hear someone else is also still waiting (i.e. my response letter isn't lost).

Thanks.

LOL! Yeah I need another hobby :)

I'm at work and since getting an acceptance to NSU in early Nov I've been less than productive :laugh:. I really should get back on the ball...

Best of luck to you too! :luck:

I counted it the easy way... copying and pasting it on Word and letting it count for me. :laugh:

But it gave me 200 too, so good counting JP! :thumbup:

Does anybody know how many people who were waitlisted are ranked high on the waitlist?

I sent in my deposit already, but I am waitlisted at UMDNJ, and would be seriously considering it, if i came off the waiting list.

Has anyone in the recent interview pools seen the inside of the building? Or does anyone have a progress report from Obed? Thanks!

Interviewed yesterday. They still won't let us in the building cuz its still a hardhat area. Obed said that they are probably looking at a June finish date.

Interviewed yesterday. They still won't let us in the building cuz its still a hardhat area. Obed said that they are probably looking at a June finish date.

Thanks for the update! Hopefully that construction company is paying 100k a day at this point! And they pass on that money as a scholarship to the students lol!

FYI: After a bit of rockiness, Touro is a very gay-friendly organization nowadays.

Touro University Gay-Straight Alliance
PM me if I can be of help in any way.

img_0972a.jpg

Does anyone know if they started reviewing the wait-list candidates yet? has anyone got called off yet?