TOUROCOM-NY Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on 4-18. I'm in!!!!!! YEAA still numb.:) :)

Members don't see this ad.

supersport, congrats on your acceptance...!

I interviewed last week 4/25 (the LAST day) and waiting on a letter. Did you find out by snail mail?

Anyone else interview last Wednesday who found out or not yet??? I'm getting anxious!

supersport, congrats on your acceptance...!

I interviewed last week 4/25 (the LAST day) and waiting on a letter. Did you find out by snail mail?

Anyone else interview last Wednesday who found out or not yet??? I'm getting anxious!

Hey,

I was in the last day group also. Obed told me that the decisions were mailed out on Friday by snail mail so wait by that mailbox! Getting anxious? Thats the understatement of the century:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I was in the last day group also. Obed told me that the decisions were mailed out on Friday by snail mail so wait by that mailbox! Getting anxious? Thats the understatement of the century:D

Hmmm...Friday to Monday...it should be here now, right?? I'm in NV right now for an interview tomorrow so I wont know till my Dad gets around to checking the mail and calling. Kind of a pain.

Keep us posted on your status!

Congrats! Welcome to the gang....Check out the facebook and yahoo groups, lots of good info on there.

mama3

:D :D :D Yea!!! I interviewed last Wednesday (4/23) and got the letter yesterday. Congrats Lkedwards! We interviewed together. You were telling me about your friend who danced in the video when we talked about stars from Houston. Remember me? Well anyway, congrats again everyone! :D :D

:D :D :D Yea!!! I interviewed last Wednesday (4/23) and got the letter yesterday. Congrats Lkedwards! We interviewed together. You were telling me about your friend who danced in the video when we talked about stars from Houston. Remember me? Well anyway, congrats again everyone! :D :D

I was in the same group as you guys and my letter is at the post office right now because there was some confusion about my mailing address. They said I can pick it up after 5. O man I am so nervous. I DO NOT want to have to change my name on here to 2012doc. haha

Congrats everyone. I look forward to meeting all of you.

hmm does anyone know the numbers of accepted?? is the class full?

I just got my letter today and got in! :D I interviewed the last day of interviews as well.

As far as the class being full, Obed told us the day we interviewed (April 25) that they had received 109 deposits and were able to extend the class size to 135 students. They've sent out acceptances since then (like to all the people this week that have said they got in) so I couldn't even estimate how many of the remaining spots they filled, but at least it's encouraging that they were able to make the class larger.

Congrats to everyone that is getting in this week and everyone that already has, I'm looking forward to a great four years with you all!

I just got my letter today and got in! :D I interviewed the last day of interviews as well.

Aww good, a fellow interviewee, congrats!!....which one were you? I was the only person from Texas. Looking forward to meeting you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Need help deciding between TOURO-NY and DCOM in TN....i know they are stark opposites but I want to know which school will be better reputation wise throughout the country especially in specialty fields....i've already forked over 2k for DCOM a long time ago and only have a little money to spare so i want to make the best decision....please be honest and all the advice i would more than greatly appreciate it!!

Need help deciding between TOURO-NY and DCOM in TN....i know they are stark opposites but I want to know which school will be better reputation wise throughout the country especially in specialty fields....i've already forked over 2k for DCOM a long time ago and only have a little money to spare so i want to make the best decision....please be honest and all the advice i would more than greatly appreciate it!!

There's no real way to tell unfortunately. However, in their respective regions they may do relatively well. Dr. Diamond who is the dean of TOURO-NY has a pretty well established reputation in NYC.

I'd say your decision is probably better made by comparing locations as opposed to reputations :) Sorry this is so vague, and I wish you the best of luck with your decision! :thumbup:

class size increase is definitely encouraging!!

as far as touro-ny vs. dcom, it's really impossible to say which will have a greater number of people that go on to specialize. after interviewing at both, the only thing i could possibly base a decision off of would be location, lifestyle, rotation sites & patient population, and just the overall feel you got and which felt like the best match. dcom seemed to be really organized as far as having concrete plans, excellent faculty, etc. but i also interviewed at touro the second day of interviews and they didn't have many details at that point. gluck

class size increase is definitely encouraging!!

as far as touro-ny vs. dcom, it's really impossible to say which will have a greater number of people that go on to specialize. after interviewing at both, the only thing i could possibly base a decision off of would be location, lifestyle, rotation sites & patient population, and just the overall feel you got and which felt like the best match. dcom seemed to be really organized as far as having concrete plans, excellent faculty, etc. but i also interviewed at touro the second day of interviews and they didn't have many details at that point. gluck

I agree with lala. At this point I think you should go for the one that fits you best.

What up guys. My friend and I from Michigan both just got our acceptance letters today. We interviewed on 4/25. Remember us? Who else from our group got in.

What up guys. My friend and I from Michigan both just got our acceptance letters today. We interviewed on 4/25. Remember us? Who else from our group got in.

Hey, I interviewed that day too and got in. Not sure which one you are from Michigan...but I arrived third and sat between you (?) and another girl at the end of the table. And I would be the Texan.

Are y'all going to TOUROCOM-NY? Hope to see you in the fall!

Hey! I do remember you, and just now realized you responded to me on this, guess I'm behind....Congrats! Have you decided to go or not? Seems like a lot from our group got in...

Wait! Who got in from Michigan!? I am from Michigan too....

Hey, I interviewed that day too and got in. Not sure which one you are from Michigan...but I arrived third and sat between you (?) and another girl at the end of the table. And I would be the Texan.

Are y'all going to TOUROCOM-NY? Hope to see you in the fall!

I was the taller one with the lighter hair (I got there right before you). Pete got in too and were both planning on coming. Way to go Texas! See you in the fall.

Wait! Who got in from Michigan!? I am from Michigan too....

Well, that makes at least three of us wolverines. You know of any others? GO BLUE!!

I don't know of any others. Who is the third? Oooh I am so excited to have people to watch football with next year!! What year are you?

I interviewed the last day also and I was lucky to get a call the next day saying that I was in, saved me from the waiting game! Glad to see ppl that I remembered from the interview day got in.... see you guys soon :)

i was the "tall guy" in GrpD

I don't know of any others. Who is the third? Oooh I am so excited to have people to watch football with next year!! What year are you?

Believe it or not, the third is one of my housemates. We both got our letters yesterday and we both just graduated this year. How about you?

Hi everyone! I just got my acceptance letter on Monday (the 30th). I interviewed on 4/24. I'm still waiting to hear from my first choice, an allopathic school, but if I don't get in there (which I probably won't), I'm headed to Harlem next year! Reading all your postings on here today I got SO excited for TOUROCOM-NY!

Question. Has anyone gotten a list of faculty and hospitals for rotations and other important info like that from the school? I emailed Obed yesterday about it and he said he forwarded my email to the Dean, but I haven't heard back yet.

Also, did anyone who interviewed on 4/24 get accepted or waitlisted yet?

Hi everyone! I just got my acceptance letter on Monday (the 30th). I interviewed on 4/24. I'm still waiting to hear from my first choice, an allopathic school, but if I don't get in there (which I probably won't), I'm headed to Harlem next year! Reading all your postings on here today I got SO excited for TOUROCOM-NY!

Question. Has anyone gotten a list of faculty and hospitals for rotations and other important info like that from the school? I emailed Obed yesterday about it and he said he forwarded my email to the Dean, but I haven't heard back yet.

They showed us a list of hospitals for rotations at our interview on 4/25. I can't recally exactly which hospitals were on there but it was a long list with like 10-15 hospitals, and they said that more rotations would be established over the next couple years.

They showed us a list of hospitals for rotations at our interview on 4/25. I can't recally exactly which hospitals were on there but it was a long list with like 10-15 hospitals, and they said that more rotations would be established over the next couple years.

Hospital Affiliations:

Brookdale University Hospital
Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center
Colombia Presbyterian Hospital
Flushing Hospital Medical Center
Harlem Hospital
Interfaith Medical Center
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center
North General Hospital
Parkway Hospital
St. John's Episcopal Hospital
Staten Island University Hospital

Congrats to those accepted

FYI: After a bit of rockiness, Touro is a very gay-friendly organization nowadays.

Touro University Gay-Straight Alliance
PM me if I can be of help in any way.

img_0972a.jpg

i read that wikipedia article..i cant believe you guys had to endure such bigotry...its baffling to MY mind that such ignorance still exists...

on a positive note, im glad you stuck with it and forced the school to recognize its students!:thumbup:

i hope Touro-NY does not have to deal with similar struggles...

...to open minds and hearts...:)

Has anybody heard when they'll start moving the Wait List? The only response I have gotten is "June or before."

Hey I'm looking for the tall guy who is like an Indian Tony Robbins who interviewed on 4/11. I think his name is Jerry. Anybody know how to contact that guy?

My mom told me that someone who is planning on attending TOUROCOM mext year was on jeopardy college edition. I missed and was wondering if anybody knew who is was?

Just got my acceptance to TouroCom. Not a bad turnaround...48 hours!

But I've gone to work in the city for the past 8 years at a variety of time from 6am to 10am and as a native, after 7am, it's all the same crowded, delayed insanity. Starting a little later will at least curb the grouchy, short-fuse the early morning forces. And the people on the train earlier in the morning are the Wall St brokers and the people working in construction and security. Those aren't the ones you want to bump the wrong way first thing in the morning. The 9amers are a softer crowd that are less likely to assault you for a better hand grip on the pole.
I know this is an old post I'm replying to, and heck I'm not even a DO applicant but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents about this.

The wall street people can actually be quite nice. I used to take the subway to school downtown, so I'd have to get to school by 8 or 8:40 (depending on my schedule for the semester). Anyways, point is that this wall streeter actually gave me his newspaper after he saw that I was trying to read what he was reading (I was standing next to him). So...yeah, there's nice people on wall street.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the 9AM crowd is just as bad...the problem with going later is that you might even have to wait for the next train, some of the stations are so packed towards 9AM that you really can't get on the train (especially the 6 and to a lesser extend the 4 and 5). Earlier on, depending on what station you're starting at you might even be able to get a seat! But towards 9AM even if you're at the first station the train starts at there's that crazy rush through the doors the moment they open to try and snag a seat, and it's a contest you'll usually lose. These days I don't really care anymore so I just let the other people rush in and take the seats, but just realize you might have to stand for over an hour if you're coming in from pretty far.

As far as driving goes, traffic isn't actually that horrible earlier in the day (coming in from Queens anyway, I know Brooklyn traffic is significantly more horrifying since I've made the mistake of being in Brooklyn's morning rush hour before while running an early errand). My mother manages to get to work in about 30 minutes each morning and she starts work at 8AM, and it's actually a shorter drive from where we are to Harlem (well, it's shorter if we care to pay a toll, and about the same otherwise).

Try driving in for 9AM and it's definitely suicidal.

That said, if you're taking the subway I'd prefer the later start too, since it's not really much more painful (yes, you might have to stand for a while, and you can't read as easily when standing), and you'll get that extra hour of sleep (mostly because I can't go to bed early though). But if you're driving in 8AM is about 1000x better than 9AM.

Its been a while since anyone posted on here...but anyways...does anyone know how the progress on the building is coming along?
-Thanks for your help guys

So I went to NY this last week and visited our school ... building from the outside looks EXACTLY the same as it did when I interviewed in Feb ... however I know the inside is making progress. I asked the office about the building and it should be ready by end of August.

i read that wikipedia article..i cant believe you guys had to endure such bigotry...its baffling to MY mind that such ignorance still exists...

on a positive note, im glad you stuck with it and forced the school to recognize its students!:thumbup:

i hope Touro-NY does not have to deal with similar struggles...

...to open minds and hearts...:)
Cool, thanks two million!

The group is still going strong, check it out: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,279032,00.html

Hey Everyone,

I'm an incoming TOURO student, and i'm having a hard time finding decent housing in NYC. I was wondering for those of you that are definately coming to this school, where you were living, because I would like to live near some other students from the school for safety reasons.

PLEASEEEEE respond to this message and let me know where you all are getting apartments or if any of you are looking for a room mate. I am a 22 year old female by the way.

Also.. does anyone know if a facebook group exists for this incoming class?

THANKS so MUCH!

Hey guys!! COngrats to all of you who have been accepted!!!!

I want to apply to TouroNY (I live in NY) for the 2008 entering class

I just wanted to know, if you could list your stats so I can get a general idea of who the school accepts and which grades. I'm so nervous!!

Would appreciate your help =)

thanks a bunch and congrats again!!!

I think the average accepted application in our entering class is MCAT 27 GPA 3.3 and everyone seemed to have good clinical and research experiences. Good luck!

Hey guys!! COngrats to all of you who have been accepted!!!!

I want to apply to TouroNY (I live in NY) for the 2008 entering class

I just wanted to know, if you could list your stats so I can get a general idea of who the school accepts and which grades. I'm so nervous!!

Would appreciate your help =)

thanks a bunch and congrats again!!!

To all the incoming students, congrats!

I highly recommend joining American Medical Student Assoc's listserv email for Osteopathic medical students. Here's a link: http://www.amsa.org/osteo

Hello Everyone!

I was accepted a while ago, but I just joined SDN. I am a female looking for a roommate. Are any classmates meeting up the weekend before school starts to do a meet-n-greet thing?

hello, i'm thinking of applying to tourro and would like to know if it's required to have volunteer work or shadow a osteopathic medical doctor?

thanks.

hello, i'm thinking of applying to tourro and would like to know if it's required to have volunteer work or shadow a osteopathic medical doctor?

thanks.

Not required but a MD or DO letter is encouraged. They just want to make sure you know what you are getting into.
Good Luck

To those who are accepted when did you interview. I interviewed on the 31st and I havent heard from them. Starting to get worried that Im rejected.

don't be worried. they will call you 2 weeks after your interview if you got in. if you didn't get a call, you didn't get in.