TOUROCOM-NY Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
damn Touro is quick!! i interviewed tuesday and just got an e-mail saying i got in too . . . and the decision making begins . . . .:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on 2/6/2007 and just received my acceptance today as well! Congrats everyone!!! :thumbup:

I interviewed 2/7 and got an acceptance today...and sending in the deposit. Anyone else definitely sending in a deposit?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 2/7 and got an acceptance today...and sending in the deposit. Anyone else definitely sending in a deposit?

I'm not sure if i'll be sending in my deposit but it's still an option. i have some thinking to do. :D

if you are 100% sure of going to Touro-NY, you should start the "Official Touro-NY Class of 2011" Thread.

i would start it but it looks like i will end up in UNECOM!

good luck to your decision making process.

Yeah,

I interviewed on the 7th with you Lauren K and got the acceptance today as well. Love the quick turnaround. At this rate, we'll be DO's before the summer!

And for the Cali folk, come play in NY. Culture and arts at your fingertips in both places. In NY, you avoid the cost of gas and insurance of a car. Real Estate in Cali is even more pricey than NY from my research. And so we've blotted out the sun in NY. So what! Good weather only makes for poor students. Internalize your suffering and learn the bitterness of NY.

No, but seriously, rotation options are going to be incredible. Remember NYCOM has the most options of any DO school and Dr. Diamond was largely responsible for their success in that department. Due to the inclement weather, you'll see a much larger variety of conditions, ie. asthma and the weather travel together. And NY is the mecca of all sickness and disease in the US; you can't deny that.

We're a fellow blue state. We have more hospitals than just about any other state. You have a chance to be a part of history: the inaugural class of what I believe is the first urban-based osteopathic school in the US. We're expected to be the difference-making class that carries the flag with the message of Osteopathic Medicine to the greater public and brings it into the mainstream. I believe we're right at the front bringing DO marketshare to being on par with that of MD's over the next 20 years. Pioneers? Yes. Oh, and people in NY in general are way hotter. You just can't tell because they're all wearing big puffy coats and a frown.

heyyy everyone
i interviewed 2/7 and got my an acceptance e-mail today :clap:
...that was super fast

i don't know if im going b/c i have one acceptance already and an interview next week

:confused:

but CONGRATS to everyone that made it--i think it will end up being a great school

Also,

As far as suggestions go, in addition to starting the day later (which I cannot overstress), it would be great if Touro combined one of their other programs and created the option for us to get a combined degree, like a DO/MBA or DO/RD (registered clinical dietician) or even a DO/PhD for the truly nerdy and ambitious. And I want a full line of Touro brand clothing to improve school exposure.

Yeah,

And NY is the mecca of all sickness and disease in the US; you can't deny that.

Oh, and people in NY in general are way hotter. You just can't tell because they're all wearing big puffy coats and a frown.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have to say, I second the latter comment as well...Something about year-round flip-flops that doesn't do us too many favors. Add to that, DO students are generally hotter than MD students. Wasn't that a thead in and of itself? I recall something...Alright, now if only that tax refund would hurry itself up!!

Damn it, I'm getting worried, the hard copy of my acceptance letter has yet to arrive...I have 2 weeks from the date of...The letter?

I'm 99% sure about going to Touro-NY. It's good to know that I might have some fellow Californians with me!

clement -- if it makes you feel any better, I've been on the east coast for 2 years and have actually enjoyed it. I'll never say anything bad about California because I do love it, but I've really liked it out here too. I love the idea of not needing a car and I love the ethnic/racial/cultural diversity in New York.

Regardless, I'm anxious to see who's going to say "yes" to Touro-NY. I'm excited about being pioneers and having the opportunity to make an impact in the community. We definitely should start a "Touro-NY 2011 Matriculation" thread where we could start getting to know each other. Hmm ... Maybe I could do that?

I'm 99% sure about going to Touro-NY. It's good to know that I might have some fellow Californians with me!

clement -- if it makes you feel any better, I've been on the east coast for 2 years and have actually enjoyed it. I'll never say anything bad about California because I do love it, but I've really liked it out here too. I love the idea of not needing a car and I love the ethnic/racial/cultural diversity in New York.

Regardless, I'm anxious to see who's going to say "yes" to Touro-NY. I'm excited about being pioneers and having the opportunity to make an impact in the community. We definitely should start a "Touro-NY 2011 Matriculation" thread where we could start getting to know each other. Hmm ... Maybe I could do that?

I think I'm at 95% right now...Hmm it's kind of just boiling down to my finances hehe...It's hard to part with the $2K I forked over for Touro-MI without giving the school fair consideration...Could have been my new lap top!!!!!! Dohhhh....
Anyway, that's why I need my tax refund to hurry up!!!
Well it's good to hear another Californian saying good things about the east coast...The usual case is that of the Californian who needed change, went there, froze their eyebrows off, and came back crying! Haha I seriously like cold weather, so this deal is 5% short of being sealed! I just wish it had been colder during my interview so I could have had a more realistic feel, I mean, it was in the 40s...It'd be perfect if I could transplant my family and maybe afford a place that will appreciate enough to at least pay part of my future debt!:smuggrin: I'm curious to see what area most people will chose to live in, I'm guessing we'll shack up near the Columbia kids.

I just checked my e-mail this morning guys and I'm in, I interviewed on the 6th. Now all I have to do is find a local bank to rob, and I will be sending in my deposit:laugh:. I still have to make a decision:confused: , cause I have one more school I am waiting to hear from, but so far I am almost sold (75%). Come on clement, Mr Jess, and Gprotein Star. You know you want to go to New York. Make the decision.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else out there using weather as a factor?:

I absolutely LOVE nyc. But having lived out there in the past...I still get chills thinking about the cold winters! This is definitley going to be a factor in my decision. The weather in cali is so much better, and there are also great opportunities be around/work with a diverse patient base in the bay area as well. The major difference: Bay weather is AMAZING and pretty consistent. New York summers are horrible and the winters are at times unbearable (for me at least)!!!

Anyone else have this dilemma? For those of you who have never lived in NYC, don't like cold weather, and are on the fence about Touro-NY: If diversity isn't that important to you, then new york is probably one of the worst places to live. Obviously this is subjective...but I grew up in the mid west where it can get pretty cold...just not as cold a NYC! But since I do think the diversity and culture in nyc is second to none...I can't decide.

One final note: Did anybody hear that Touro MI is spending like 500 mill to renovate/update the island? Another reason why cali might be pretty cool...

Yeah,

I interviewed on the 7th with you Lauren K and got the acceptance today as well. Love the quick turnaround. At this rate, we'll be DO's before the summer!

And for the Cali folk, come play in NY. Culture and arts at your fingertips in both places. In NY, you avoid the cost of gas and insurance of a car. Real Estate in Cali is even more pricey than NY from my research. And so we've blotted out the sun in NY. So what! Good weather only makes for poor students. Internalize your suffering and learn the bitterness of NY.

No, but seriously, rotation options are going to be incredible. Remember NYCOM has the most options of any DO school and Dr. Diamond was largely responsible for their success in that department. Due to the inclement weather, you'll see a much larger variety of conditions, ie. asthma and the weather travel together. And NY is the mecca of all sickness and disease in the US; you can't deny that.

We're a fellow blue state. We have more hospitals than just about any other state. You have a chance to be a part of history: the inaugural class of what I believe is the first urban-based osteopathic school in the US. We're expected to be the difference-making class that carries the flag with the message of Osteopathic Medicine to the greater public and brings it into the mainstream. I believe we're right at the front bringing DO marketshare to being on par with that of MD's over the next 20 years. Pioneers? Yes. Oh, and people in NY in general are way hotter. You just can't tell because they're all wearing big puffy coats and a frown.

HousingDO, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Im Sold!!

AS a westcoaster with my fingers crossed hoping to get into Tourocom(interview the 14th) i nominate you for class spokesperson!!
Im sure you did well selling real estate--are you sure you weren't an Apprentice :D

anyone else out there using weather as a factor?:

I absolutely LOVE nyc. But having lived out there in the past...I still get chills thinking about the cold winters! This is definitley going to be a factor in my decision. The weather in cali is so much better, and there are also great opportunities be around/work with a diverse patient base in the bay area as well. The major difference: Bay weather is AMAZING and pretty consistent. New York summers are horrible and the winters are at times unbearable (for me at least)!!!

Anyone else have this dilemma? For those of you who have never lived in NYC, don't like cold weather, and are on the fence about Touro-NY: If diversity isn't that important to you, then new york is probably one of the worst places to live. Obviously this is subjective...but I grew up in the mid west where it can get pretty cold...just not as cold a NYC! But since I do think the diversity and culture in nyc is second to none...I can't decide.

One final note: Did anybody hear that Touro MI is spending like 500 mill to renovate/update the island? Another reason why cali might be pretty cool...

Having also lived in NY for most of my life (live in FL now), the cold, gray skies of New York during January and February are the pits, once the spring comes you actually feel reborn. It is like the city is born again...you'll see the streets just explode with people...Central Park will be brimming with bicyclists, rollerbladers, joggers, dogwalkers...you name it!

While I moved to FL partly because of the weather, I realize that very few places have perfect weather year-round. Here in FL, from June 1st through Nov 30th, we are in Hurricane season...and the summers here are like the winters in the NE because if it is not raining, it is super humid and the sun isn't out as much as you'd think. The best time of year in Florida is usually late September through November, and then March thru May...and forget about change of seasons (i.e. fall, winter, spring and summer).

So all I can say is that don't turn down Tourocom-NY just because of the weather, there is just sooooo much more.

Krisss17

Ok,

I'd love to bring our concerns to the school. That said, the 2 weeks starts the day you receive the email, rather than when you get the hard copy, I'm told. They are NOT playing. They want us in or out NOW.

As an NY native who visited Cali for one 3-day weekend in my adult life, I too would have a hard time making the decision. I loved it out there. I would have flunked out of school though. I'm impressed you guys pulled off medical school with so many attractive outdoor options.

But so what if the weather's nice there? We won't have time to enjoy any of it anyway. The cold is kicks procrastination in the rear, let me tell you. Think of it this way: You'll be away on a scouts trip in the cold woods working for the top level merit badge. And sure, you could rub two sticks together right on your home doorstep and make fire, but then you run the risk of burning your house down. You see my point? Ok, lost control of that analogy...starting to understand what happened on my MCAT verbal. But come to NY anyway. We'll be pioneers and stuff. And that's wicked cool.

On the real estate side, I've got a couple of neighborhoods worked out, all depending on how much people want to spend. Again, I recommend the buy vs rent option because we know we're going to be there for at least 4 years. Few renters can say that. And as outrageous as some of the prices may seem, believe it or not, they are continually climbing. I bought a 1br coop in Fort Greene in Brooklyn, 2 blocks from where the new Nets arena will be erected (hey, I said erected) for $295K in March, 2006 and its appraisal value as of yesterday was $415K. It's been 10 friggin' months. Mind you, I bought the place strategically so I expected this, but by 2010 when the arena is actually up, it'll be $600K on the low end.

In NYC, any apt should be a lock to appreciate a minimum of $25K per year in the most stagnant neighborhoods, which Harlem is not. That's a cool $100K + modest principal paid over 4 years in cash when selling. That should put a dent in loans. And if anyone out there is feeling particularly ambitious investment-wise, let me know. There are a smart options that can set you up so you get your apartment unit cost free when your done. These are much more involved though.

Anyway, timeline. Make sure to start actually viewing places at least 4 months before orientation because it could take as long as 3 months to close. If looking to rent, it's better to do it earlier. You're better off paying an extra months rent than having to stay in a hotel for a week until your new place is vacant. (Crunch the numbers, 7 days of hotel-very expensive). But don't waste your time chasing apartments today unless you're looking to move to NY earlier. Wait 2 months if looking to buy and just contact me and/or keep your ear to the ground for rentals.

HousingDO, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Im Sold!!

AS a westcoaster with my fingers crossed hoping to get into Tourocom(interview the 14th) i nominate you for class spokesperson!!
Im sure you did well selling real estate--are you sure you weren't an Apprentice :D

I second that spokesperson vote:laugh: I could have sworn I met someone like HousingDO at my interview, but I was in the earlier batches!

As for Wally, well as a native (southern) californian, I might be a complete odd-ball, but I loved the cold weather change and having seasons (yea, that's what I say NOW)...Though I will admit, it was in the high 30s or so when I interviewed!!! Not too bad...The big seller for me is population density AND diversity...Yes, we have diversity in big cities in Cali, but we're so spread out...Other than SF, big cities here just feel like suburb-hybrids. And to live in SF...Well, isn't it the most expensive city in the US right now?

And heck, the bad winter weather (and yes I heard it's like 40 degrees colder than it was when I interviewed 2 weeks ago :laugh: ) will encourage us to stay in and study! We'll have our bonfire in the middle of 125th with marshmellows and the whole she-bang! It'll be great...Obed will read us stories. Dr. Diamond will crack jokes (the staff seemed soo upbeat and frank, I kinda liked that). During my interview, the pathologist asking me questions was so excited about the different types of microbes and worms he's seen in NYC, stuff he'd never seen elsewhere!(it was soo cute!).

One thing about the CA campus is that it's not IN the city (of SF), it's 40 mins away in the 'burbs...As a SoCal weather snob, I personally don't think the Bay Area has GREAT weather , but better than NYC and the midwest, I
will give it that (SF itself is pretty windy and London fog-esque quite often, Vallejo is a bit warmer from what they tell me)...Yes, I had heard about the island developing, but that probably won't reach the levels it could reach until we're at least 3rd or 4th years....I guess the same could be said about Harlem being the next "SOHO"....
Anyway, TourCOM-NY has got me wanting to sign up! I hope I make my decision based on all the right factors.

Wow! I submitted my primary a while ago, and expect the secondary this month or so. As of right now, I've been accepted to NYCOM and will interview at Western, but my family is in Brooklyn, NY. (YO! Brooklyn.) Harlem is easier to get to than Lawn Guyland.

I'm writing though, because everyone's enthusiasm about Touro-Harlem definitely gives it an advantage in my mind over NYCOM. With such eager students it will be a great class! :luck:

just sent in my deposit today any one else def going ?

Just got the good news today. I will definitely be going I will be sending my deposit in tomm. Its kinda weird though the email acceptance letter just says "student name" on it, It doesnt say my name hopefully they didnt make any mistake or anything like that.

Just got the good news today. I will definitely be going I will be sending my deposit in tomm. Its kinda weird though the email acceptance letter just says "student name" on it, It doesnt say my name hopefully they didnt make any mistake or anything like that.

congrats! Where in nj are you from? Will you be commuting in? I still haven't been accepted, but I'll have to contemplate whether or not to commute and save lots of $$$

Grats to everyone who got in:)

The pictures of this place look awesome. The fact that it's in Harlem seems to be really cool since there will be a divere patient population. When you were there, did they talk about the clinical years in depth?

I might apply here this year and see if I get lucky:)

congrats! Where in nj are you from? Will you be commuting in? I still haven't been accepted, but I'll have to contemplate whether or not to commute and save lots of $$$

Im from Bergenfield about 10 minutes away from the GW Bridge. I am not sure if I am going to commute yet since traffic in the morning is horrible.

Congrats NJDO01, I think we interviewed together and I sat next to you at "the table." Anyways it sounds like you are definitely enrolling at Touro-NYC so if I end up there next year it will be good to see a familiar face. Currently it is my top choice but I can't say for sure if I will be going there for a little bit longer. I am definitely excited for the Fall though and if I go I can't wait to experience all the ups and downs of living in the Big Apple! Oh and if you want any opinion you should definitely live closer to the school and not commute. You will have a better time because you will be closer to classmates and can hang out with others after school, also the long commute will drain you physically and you won't have as much stamina to study enough if the going gets tough, and from what we heard it very well may. Anyways good luck deciding and enjoy the next few precious months!

sorry, i do not intend to irritate anybody but why would anyone want to go to a med school with no reputation?

sorry, i do not intend to irritate anybody but why would anyone want to go to a med school with no reputation?

well, i can't speak for everyone, but here is a partial list of why the school interested me:

1) location: the city is your clinic. unrivaled demographic variation and population/hospital density sets the ground for vast exposure...what more could a med student ask for?
2) program focus: urban/community medicine in an urban setting sets a strong social focus...what more could a med student ask for?
3) rotations: all to be completed in nyc
4) facilities: everything BRAND new, state-of-the-art anatomy and omm labs will be like that of touro-nv but even more tech-savvy
5)administration: in particular, the face of the school, Dr. Martin Diamond (Dean) is a well-known physician and important academic figure in both nyc and the state of ny in terms of positions held (to name a few, Associate Dean/Clinical Associate Prof. Advocacy & Professional Relations NYCOM, President of NY State Osteopathic Medical Society, etc), SET UP plenty of nycom's rotations and programs. hey, extremely well-established individual who no doubt upholds the reputation of the school in and of himself. if you plan on staying in NYC in the long run, you're good to go.
6)first class perks: as the first class, you are the face and therefore impression that the school makes for future classes...that in turn gives you A LOT of leverage in terms of them listening to what you want to see (i would go so far as to say this extends to curriculum, length of school days, etc etc etc). lots of room to mold things out. they've already asked us point blank what it is we want. i think we may get spoiled...
7) affiliations: touro network. this is touro's 3rd med school (not to mention a fourth md school coming up in jersey), a growing list of affiliated hospitals on both coasts, and has learned from its mistakes as well (in terms of the other 2 schools). this one will have its kinks, but i don't anticipate anything major.
8) i don't need to have a car, car payments, insurance and/or tickets
9) in my humble opinion, the school's position as "harlem's med school" (esp given the attn it has generated and will continue to generate) has the superb potential to pioneer extending the DO name (as far as avg joe is concerned). to be part of this first class is esp meaningful...

every med school has had its first class. maybe i'm naive, but i haven't read any major disaster stories. work hard and you'll be fine. i'm one of those who really buys that argument.

Cheers!

well, i can't speak for everyone, but here is a partial list of why the school interested me:

1) location: the city is your clinic. unrivaled demographic variation and population/hospital density sets the ground for vast exposure...what more could a med student ask for?
2) program focus: urban/community medicine in an urban setting sets a strong social focus...what more could a med student ask for?
3) rotations: all to be completed in nyc
4) facilities: everything BRAND new, state-of-the-art anatomy and omm labs will be like that of touro-nv but even more tech-savy
5)administration: dean is a well-known physician and important academic figure in both nyc and the state of ny in terms of positions held (Associate Dean/Clinical Associate Prof Advocacy & Professional Relations NYCOM, President of NY State Osteopathic Medical Society, etc), set up plenty of nycom rotations and programs. hey, extremely well-connected individual who no doubt upholds the reputation of the school in and of himself.
6)first class perks: as the first class, you are the face and therefore impression that the school makes for future classes...that in turn gives you A LOT of leverage in terms of them listening to what you want to see (i would go so far as to say this extends to curriculum, length of school days, etc etc etc). lots of room to mold things out.
7) affiliations: touro network. this is touro's 3rd med school (not to mention a fourth md school coming up in jersey), a growing list of affiliated hospitals on both coasts, and has learned from it's mistakes as well (in terms of the other 2 schools). this one will have its kinks, but i don't anticipate anything major.
8) i don't need to have a car, car payments, insurance and/or tickets

You sir, have convinced me. Touro-NY is definitely moving very high on my lists of desirable schools.

You sir, have convinced me. Touro-NY is definitely moving very high on my lists of desirable schools.

Always happy to help :D Actually, I'm glad he or she asked, I needed to make myself a list!

After your application was complete, how long did it take to get an interview? Was there alot of advance notice before the actual date or were you given the interview invite right before the interview?

After your application was complete, how long did it take to get an interview? Was there alot of advance notice before the actual date or were you given the interview invite right before the interview?

~10 days ...Then I was given about 2 weeks before the actual interview day...but keep in mind i applied on the first day you could designate them on aacomas, and was part of the first few interview batches...things have slowed down since then, so give it slightly more time.

~10 days ...Then I was given about 2 weeks before the actual interview day...but keep in mind i applied on the first day you could designate them on aacomas, and was part of the first few interview batches...things have slowed down since then, so give it slightly more time.

I myself and basically in a chaotic stage. I might submit my aacomas tonight just for Western and Touro. Damn the confusion of this stage:)

So are you pretty sure on going to New York?

damn Touro is quick!! i interviewed tuesday and just got an e-mail saying i got in too . . . and the decision making begins . . . .:confused:

They have to be quick ... they started so freakin late :laugh:

atleast theyre screening for quality students though .. 24+ MCAT right? niicee ... (no sarcasm here folks :smuggrin: )

I myself and basically in a chaotic stage. I might submit my aacomas tonight just for Western and Touro. Damn the confusion of this stage:)

So are you pretty sure on going to New York?

if only that irs refund would hurry itself up!

:laugh: its 2k for the deposit right? If DO schools didnt have such ridiculous deposit amounts they would get more applicants lol.

Med school in Manhattan...sounds like a dream to me

Congrats NJDO01, I think we interviewed together and I sat next to you at "the table." Anyways it sounds like you are definitely enrolling at Touro-NYC so if I end up there next year it will be good to see a familiar face. Currently it is my top choice but I can't say for sure if I will be going there for a little bit longer. I am definitely excited for the Fall though and if I go I can't wait to experience all the ups and downs of living in the Big Apple! Oh and if you want any opinion you should definitely live closer to the school and not commute. You will have a better time because you will be closer to classmates and can hang out with others after school, also the long commute will drain you physically and you won't have as much stamina to study enough if the going gets tough, and from what we heard it very well may. Anyways good luck deciding and enjoy the next few precious months!

Yeah I remember you I think we shared the same taxi when we went to North General Hospital. I will most likely not commute for pretty much all the reasons you pointed out. I hope to see you in the fall.

you should definetly give obed a call, and explain your situation, I personally can't make that 2k within 14days, I gave him a call, I believe he spoke to the dean, and they are looking at an option for students who to make half of the payement, and the other half within a week.

Just wondering if anyone applied later in the cycle who has been accepted? Can anyone let me know the turn around time between secondaries and interviews if acceptance emails are going out 2-5 days after the interviews? TOURONY is my first choice and I'm feeding off everyone's excitement... need to get accepted first.

I got an offer for an interview about 10 days after sending in my secondary

Hi guys. I interviewed at TOURO-NY on Feb 13th. Now I have been reading that people had received acceptance e-mails in 2 days! or Friday of the interview. Now reading that makes me feel a little uneasy and nervous all over again!! lol So I have not heard anything yet, and I was wondering on average how long did it take to receive an e-mail from Touro, they said 2 weeks, but it looks like they tend to do this faster than that.

Also all week i was re-running the interview in my head and just picked out areas where i had better answers or better examples than the ones i had said during the interview. This was my first interview, so I am a little nervous in that aspect. Is it normal to feel that your interview could have gone better, b/c i was expecting them to grill me, rather I was the one talking a lot, so is that what they wanted? And it seemed like my interview went on longer than the other candidates? How does that reflect upon me, maybe i talk to much? I don't know I'm a mess right now lol. Thanks

Hi guys. I interviewed at TOURO-NY on Feb 13th. Now I have been reading that people had received acceptance e-mails in 2 days! or Friday of the interview. Now reading that makes me feel a little uneasy and nervous all over again!! lol So I have not heard anything yet, and I was wondering on average how long did it take to receive an e-mail from Touro, they said 2 weeks, but it looks like they tend to do this faster than that.

Also all week i was re-running the interview in my head and just picked out areas where i had better answers or better examples than the ones i had said during the interview. This was my first interview, so I am a little nervous in that aspect. Is it normal to feel that your interview could have gone better, b/c i was expecting them to grill me, rather I was the one talking a lot, so is that what they wanted? And it seemed like my interview went on longer than the other candidates? How does that reflect upon me, maybe i talk to much? I don't know I'm a mess right now lol. Thanks

Just be patient. The same thing happen to me, I didn't get an email until a week later. You have to remember too that they have a lot more applications to go over now. Just hang in there.

Very quick question: In order to be offered an interview, do they have to have your pre-professional committee letter on hand already? Or can you get an interview if they already have everything except your committee letter that has yet to come in?

'Cause I've been very good at sending all the stuff in pretty early. But my advisor needs some poking (actually, a lot sometimes ... I understand that he gets quite busy and I'm not the only pre-med student he's helping) to get my letters out. I just want to know if my promptness can cancel out my advisor's lack-of.

EDIT: Oh, and two more questions -- (1) how many interview batches have they conducted, and (2) what's their projected class size, i.e., how many acceptances are they going to send out?

Very quick question: In order to be offered an interview, do they have to have your pre-professional committee letter on hand already? Or can you get an interview if they already have everything except your committee letter that has yet to come in?

'Cause I've been very good at sending all the stuff in pretty early. But my advisor needs some poking (actually, a lot sometimes ... I understand that he gets quite busy and I'm not the only pre-med student he's helping) to get my letters out. I just want to know if my promptness can cancel out my advisor's lack-of.

EDIT: Oh, and two more questions -- (1) how many interview batches have they conducted, and (2) what's their projected class size, i.e., how many acceptances are they going to send out?

1) Im not sure about the committee LOR you should call them for that

2) they interview 3x a week with 9 people per group and they started the interviews on the week of jan 28

3) 125

Hope those help

Another spot for y'all.
I declined their offer. Good luck guys.

Another spot for y'all.
I declined their offer. Good luck guys.

Hey Onstarr, if you dont mind, what were your stats, and what schools did you apply to, why did you turn down touro-ny?

Hey guys!
Need your advice. Do you think there will be spots open as late as in the beginning of May. Touro is the only school I've applied to. I also did most of my undergrad in Touro, NY few years ago. I believe my application is quiet competative with lots of years of clinical experience. But I don't have the MCAT yet. I know offitially it says deadline JUNE 1st, but c'mon....is it realistic that class of only 125 won't be filled until then? I really want to go in 2007, but entered the process very late. I'm already an older applicant. Please give some pointers.

Congrats to all of you holding your acceptance letters...the very subject of my envy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks

Hey guys!
Need your advice. Do you think there will be spots open as late as in the beginning of May. Touro is the only school I've applied to. I also did most of my undergrad in Touro, NY few years ago. I believe my application is quiet competative with lots of years of clinical experience. But I don't have the MCAT yet. I know offitially it says deadline JUNE 1st, but c'mon....is it realistic that class of only 125 won't be filled until then? I really want to go in 2007, but entered the process very late. I'm already an older applicant. Please give some pointers.

Congrats to all of you holding your acceptance letters...the very subject of my envy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks

If you call them and ask, they might actually give you a number or percentage. Good luck.

I believe a committee letter is one of the requirements in applying. Every school I interviewed at made sure the candidates LOR's and committe letter were on file. But you can call or email Obed and explain your situation.

Hey Onstarr, if you dont mind, what were your stats, and what schools did you apply to, why did you turn down touro-ny?

The decision was very difficult. I received letters of acceptance to UNECOM and Touro-NY on the same day (few hours apart, snail mail/email respectively). In one hand I would be in a major city with tons of diversity, and the other the complete opposite in a very quiet small area. My stats were as follows: 3.6 gpa, 27 mcat, bioengineering major, hep c research, poster presenter, numerous hosp exp, calc/phys tutor, nutrition&chemistry TA, all that good stuffetc

Touro had almost everything going for me. The location w/ tons of respectable hospitals nearby, first graduating class, family & friends already in NY. (I lived in NY for the last 15 years).. However one thing was bothering me. UNE's program was Established & Touro-NY not. (I did consider that Touro had other Touros CA/NV but they all seemed like they were seperate entities bc one was Touro University, this one is Touro College.. etc. Obed did say that TouroNy will follow NV's curriculm.) Another dilemma was that I was accepted and the school requested a $2000 deposit within 14days. This is standard procedure for most schools but because this school/program is so new, I didn't even get to see the actual school itself besides the architectural rendering. $2000 can be thought as an INVESTMENT but $2Gs is not easy money to come by either. I am not well off financially and did not want to waste the money if i was not going to enroll at the school. So yes my decision to turn down Touro was indeed in a rush.

Also although Dr. Diamond & faculty reassured that we will not have trouble getting clinicals/residency placements, I was not willing to take the risk. NYC has so many medical schools in the area and I wasn't sure if we would be competing over spots with other med students... There were so many questions I could not answer just due to the fact that this was a new program & i was just not comfortable risking my future with chance. I am sure Touro will be a great school but I was not ready to put down a $2000 deposit in a rush like this.

UNE is a very smaller school (class size 120) where i thought I would be a better student. 3-4people/cadaveur, more older students (avg age was like 27, 28), friendly/family environment (even the school president remembered alumni from 20 years ago.. those who were there at the interview w/ me knows what i am talkin about) , for 3rd/4th year clinicals are in different states so I can travel to various locations. Seems like everyone ended up w/ good residencies. Cheaper cost of living than NY. Oh, great note taking service as well.. and importantly, the alumni & current students loved the school. For recreational activities, i can only assume it is no where near exciting as what NYC can offer but... : UNE is actually ON the beach!, i love to snowboard and the mountains are not too far away, and boston 1.5hrs away. Cons: the diversity I was looking for was not present.. however pros overweigh the cons . .OK I am just rambling now.. I dunno...I just had a better vibe at UNE. And I felt more secure only bc the school & its program was already well established - initial mistakes fixed and just fine tuning now..

In the end it came down to this. Education wise, I thought both schools were excellent choice probably almost @ the same level. Fun factor - Touro, only bc NYC has sooooooo much to offer. But like i stated above, i thought I would be a better student to UNE because of the environment itself, traquil, quiet maine area... It is just me but I prefer rural areas to study and urban areas to party... Touro, being a city school didnt seem right for me. (i did rush into making this decision.. who knows i might regret it later on... from every prospective student for touro i spoke to, they all seemed very chill.. it looks like touro is gonna have a very fun group.. im probably missing out big time.)

hope this mumbo jumbo helps somebody.. :laugh:

Also although Dr. Diamond & faculty reassured that we will not have trouble getting clinicals/residency placements, I was not willing to take the risk. NYC has so many medical schools in the area and I wasn't sure if we would be competing over spots with other med students... There were so many questions I could not answer just due to the fact that this was a new program & i was just not comfortable risking my future with chance. I am sure Touro will be a great school but I was not ready to put down a $2000 deposit in a rush like this.
:

Congrats on making a decision! I'm sure it's a much better feeling than having a FEW $2000 deposits down! Hahah but I guess I justify it with, "in the end I'll be so far in debt that $2K won't weigh much over making the choice that's right for me"...But yea, that could have been my new lap top dang it!

Well, in your quote above, you raise one of the points that I considered in deciding...Competitive nature of clinicals/residencies in NYC...Wondering what other people's thoughts on this were, as the paradox for me is this: One of the school's main focuses is the SHORTAGE of physicians in NYC's urban areas. My cousins who are finishing up residencies via Cornell and Columbia, claim that in fact urban NYC hospitals depend heavily on rotating students and residents (i.e. they were telling me to get ready for longer hours and more work as well).
On the other hand, it did occur to me that students from Columbia, NYU, Cornell and to an extent NYCOM, would be rotating and doing residencies in the area (granted, some people won't stick around for NYC residencies once family time kicks in...I know my cousin is moving back to Cali now that he has 2 kids)...

It gives me confidence to know that Dr. Diamond played a big part in setting up NYCOM's rotations and that his connections to hospitals is a solid one. In fact, during our interview he made a point to say that our rotations "would not be interfering with NYCOM's"....A big bonus for me is having all rotations in the city. Though there was a person who saw the list of hospitals and said some might be trickier to access via subway (but I think this list was tentative).

Anyhow, I think if you're set on doing your residency in NYC, you can't go wrong. If not, then you may have other factors to think about (though yes, even with the Touro schools being separate entitities, if you want to do a rotation/residency in NV or CA, the hospitals WILL know the Touro name, and I believe I read something about us being able to do rotations at all affiliated hospitals at my Mare Island interview).

I wonder if anyone has any insight as to the number of med students/residents in NYC relative to hospital density (which everyone seems to acknowledge is simply incredible, and as far as the school states, there is a shortage of urban physicians!).

I guess another point might be, does clinical/residency competitiveness become an issue in NYC as far as *nicer* hospitals (which I believe are mostly in the 'burbs?)? I know some Columbia kids talk about the *trenchier* hospitals of NYC where they rotate/complete residencies (according to my cousin, this is obviously where the need is greatest, and where almost any NYC med student should be prepared to rotate through...He's doing an EM residency and has seen more than one infant with gunshot wounds in his day).