TOUROCOM-NY Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
(according to my cousin, this is obviously where the need is greatest, and where almost any NYC med student should be prepared to rotate through...He's doing an EM residency and has seen more than one infant with gunshot wounds in his day).

:eek: thats.. awesome? (and not awesome obviously at the same time.)

Members don't see this ad.

:eek: thats.. awesome? (and not awesome obviously at the same time.)

IMO few cities compare to NYC for the EM enthusiast, but then again, I think that could apply to most specialties! He's extremely happy with EM, though the fact that they work less hours than most residents to compensate for intensity speaks for itself.

Does anyone know when the school year begins? I can't seem to find an academic calendar on the Touro-MI or Touro-NV sites to get an idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
correct me if im wrong but i believe touro-ny starts in sept 1st.

Did anyone else feel a little uneasy about their interview on 2/14? Being closed file, I was expecting a lot of personal questions, but I was not asked any. I was asked only about health policy and procedures. They also wanted me to discuss OMM, which is a course you take all 4 years in school. I thought my interview was somewhat unfair and my panel didnt seem to interested in what I had to say. I am so scared that because of my interview I will not get in and this school is one of my top choices. I know the dean makes the final decisions, so I am praying that he likes my application and credentials. Any thoughts???

-Wisconsin

I felt a little unesay about the interview also....but then I remembered that Mr.Figueroa said that thay are trying to get a "feel" for waht kind of people we are.....I hope that we hear soon, I am so nervous, this is my top school!

New Jersey

I also interviewed on the 14th (Amanda from Cincinnati with the horrible cold...still not quite over it). I thought the guys I interviewed with were very nice. I wish I could remember their names. I think they were just trying to see that we are capable of carrying on a conversation. I didn't feel too worried about it. Although, I hope I didn't give them my cold and now they hate me. I wish they'd hurry it up with the response, though. I don't ahve any acceptances yet (made the alternate list at LECOM Bradenton) and TOURO is definitely my first choice. Good luck everyone!

I also interviewed on the 14th (Amanda from Cincinnati with the horrible cold...still not quite over it). I thought the guys I interviewed with were very nice. I wish I could remember their names. I think they were just trying to see that we are capable of carrying on a conversation. I didn't feel too worried about it. Although, I hope I didn't give them my cold and now they hate me. I wish they'd hurry it up with the response, though. I don't ahve any acceptances yet (made the alternate list at LECOM Bradenton) and TOURO is definitely my first choice. Good luck everyone!

i'm also on the alternate list at bradenton and am 'on hold' post-interview at tourony. they want me to retake the mcat in april and send in scores asap to get further consideration this application cycle.
lovely.

hey lala...when did you interview at Touro???

i interviewed on their second day, jan. 30.

Well,

When I interviewed, the feeling I got was that they wanted to find one non-statistical, compelling reason from you why you were a good fit for Osteopathic medicine. It could have been that you believe in the holistic approach, that you believe in OMM, that you had a great experience with a DO and believe in its principles or that you've always known you wanted to be a doctor.

I think what they really were looking for is why will you be a great doctor, an asset to the profession, your patients and the reputation of DO's. If you could give them that without starting with, "I would be a great DO because...," then you were fine.

For anyone who has not yet interviewed (although this may be the wrong thread for this), consider this in your answers. And take charge a little. That's what I did. They asked a shorter answer question that was not what I wanted to talk about, I briefly, but completely answered the question and then used my time with the mic to convey about myself what I thought would be important to them. And I had to because my stats flat out suck. I've got a lot more in my head than I've been able to put down on paper and letting them know that is everything.

And make the decision to be relaxed, win or lose. Because we also have practicals now, it's even more important to enroll students who don't crack under pressure verbally. Be lightly charming and have an opinion, a cause, a pet-peeve or something that you want to address. You don't have to use it in the interview, but have it in your back pocket. They want to know the problems out there that you want to fix.

This isn't the end-all in interview advice, but I think it's relevant and can help overcome statistical deficiencies. They want a little passion for the industry. They want to meet the spirit and attitude of a competent physician right now. And they just want to provide the info and training. When I was in there I talked about the effects of emotional distress on the immune system and the importance of the old-school doctors in a community that really knew their patients and offered some measure of assistance in all of those areas. We had a cool discussion and it ate up time that I'm sure they would have used to grill me on trivia about the Osteopathic profession or would have asked me why my grades indicate that I'm mildly ******ed.

surprisingly, i thought i did do all of those things during my interview. mine seemed to last for a lot longer than the allotted time, and one of the interviewers even told me that i seemed to be really confident in what i wanted to do. so i felt like of all the schools i've interviewed at, i performed my personal best during this interview. it started out with a lot of direct questions being thrown at me, but by the end it turned very conversational and both interviewers were cracking jokes. ultimately though, i think it just came down to not having a strong enough gpa to counter my mcat score. the school is definitely focused on numbers, so it's not all about expressing competency and passion. i can't blame them though, b/c after all, they do need their first class to perform extremely well to be credible.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey lala, if you don't mind me asking...what were your stats (you could pm me if you'd like) I have an interview coming up next week with Touro, and I myself don't have the most amazing numbers, but definitely a passion for medicine. And what were these direct questions that you guys were asked. This is my first invite, so I am both relieved and stressed out beyond belief...didn't think it was possible. Especially after the little lecture I received from my parents when they saw the rejection mail from temple yesterday, I don't want to screw up the one chance I have to make it to med school :scared:

i'm also on the alternate list at bradenton and am 'on hold' post-interview at tourony. they want me to retake the mcat in april and send in scores asap to get further consideration this application cycle.
lovely.

"On Hold" Post interview :scared: UH, what does that mean is that like being waitlisted? and are you planning on re-taking the MCAT?

lovely.

"on hold after interview because of your mcats?" To me that sounds weird because they already knew your mcats/gpa before they sent you secondary & interview notice and collected the $200 fee (tourony)/and your time to go interview there...

"on hold after interview because of your mcats?" To me that sounds weird because they already knew your mcats/gpa before they sent you secondary & interview notice and collected the $200 fee (tourony)/and your time to go interview there...

you have a point. however, and not to be rude in the least, in terms of public relations, no school would ever say (to my knowledge),
"well, your interview didn't impress us enough to overlook the weaknesses of your application" either... plenty of schools interview people and waitlist or put them on hold. nothing weird about that-
it means the rest of your application impressed them enough to request an interview. with a higher mcat/gpa combo your chances increase if the interview goes *well.*
there are people who paid the $200 and haven't interviewed.

i'm not waitlisted, i'm on hold, which means they will only give my app further consideration if i take the mcat. and yes, i am intending on taking the mcat and hope i can increase my score & still have a chance! i guess like clement said, they liked other things in my app, and just want me to strengthen this one thing. i'm fortunate that they did overlook a lower mcat and still gave me a chance to interview and improve.

i'm not waitlisted, i'm on hold, which means they will only give my app further consideration if i take the mcat. and yes, i am intending on taking the mcat and hope i can increase my score & still have a chance! i guess like clement said, they liked other things in my app, and just want me to strengthen this one thing. i'm fortunate that they did overlook a lower mcat and still gave me a chance to interview and improve.

Well I wish you the best, I'm sure you will do well on the M-CAT, and I look forward to the opportunity to see you in harlem, if you decide to come. best of luck:luck: :luck: .

you have a point. however, and not to be rude in the least, in terms of public relations, no school would ever say (to my knowledge),
"well, your interview didn't impress us enough to overlook the weaknesses of your application" either... plenty of schools interview people and waitlist or put them on hold. nothing weird about that-
it means the rest of your application impressed them enough to request an interview. with a higher mcat/gpa combo your chances increase if the interview goes *well.*
there are people who paid the $200 and haven't interviewed.

I did not mean to offend anyone, esp lala83, i had a interview there earlier in the week, and since Mr. Figueroa said everyone was pre-screened prior to the interview and were given recommendations prior to interview, i didnt know they gave recommendations post interview too. lala83, goodluck with the mcats and future applications, im sure you will be fine.

ACCEPTED!!!!! I just checked my e-mail a minute ago!!! I also 3x checked it to make sure i wasn't seeing things. I got in! I'm going to be a doctor and work in NYC!!! :D I can't wait!! Wow i'm about to cry..... lol ok im good.... :p

Just recieved the email still in shock and euphoria!!!!! I'm in I'm going to be a Dr!

ACCEPTED!!!!! I just checked my e-mail a minute ago!!! I also 3x checked it to make sure i wasn't seeing things. I got in! I'm going to be a doctor and work in NYC!!! :D I can't wait!! Wow i'm about to cry..... lol ok im good.... :p

Congrats to a fellow North Jerseyian are you planning on going?

Another Californian on my way to the City!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :D

OMG, I am also accepted. I can't believe after all the hard work, I am going to be a doctor. Someone pinch me, I'm dreaming. Wisconsin is on his way to the Big Apple.

I'm in. Interviewed on Feb 20th:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

OMG, I am also accepted. I can't believe after all the hard work, I am going to be a doctor. Someone pinch me, I'm dreaming. Wisconsin is on his way to the Big Apple.

Are you the Wisconsin'ite most recently from Florida? Minus jacket or anything warm on the day of the ICe Storm(2/14).....

To all of you recently accepted, Congratulations! It's a explosive feeling at first, hunh!? Enjoy it!

Good LORD! Anyone make an estimate yet on just how many people have committed yet on SDN alone? I haven't even interviewed yet and it looks like the class is filling up really fast! Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted so far...I get chills just reading the posts!

I interview this Wednesday (2-28). I will be in NY staying at the Wellington starting Tuesday the 27th.

Anyone else have an interview on the 28th?!?!

Congrats to all who have been accepted. I hope to join you soon!!!

That is me, and who may this be????

Guy from Cali, rode to North General in the taxi with u. I was commenting on ur lack of coldweathergear!

Guess we will be classmates! My $2000 will be in the mail tomorrow.

Congrats...

Padunty-

When did Touro receive your secondary, when did you get the email?

Hey, just have a question...
In an email Ms. Copeland said that she will sign me up for the March 6th interview list and that I will be receiving a confirmation... i havent received one yet... did everyone get a confirmation email and if so, should i be worried?

thanks

Well yes you should make sure you get a confirmation. I wouldn't be worried I would just call her and let her know you haven't gotten one yet. Everybody is really cool there so don't hesitate to call. Good luck!

Hey, just have a question...
In an email Ms. Copeland said that she will sign me up for the March 6th interview list and that I will be receiving a confirmation... i havent received one yet... did everyone get a confirmation email and if so, should i be worried?

thanks

Hey Guys,
Some of us got that Email today...I'm in:D

Hey you guys, what were ure stats. i got my interview tomorrow and i just want some idea of what they are looking for and if im within their range. thanksss

hey amathew, when's ure interview? im on tuesday (2/27)

VYTillIDie

I sent in my application in on January 20th. I received the e-mail about an interview on February 12th. Replied to the e-mail immediately and requested interview date of the 28th. Received the confirmation on the 22nd (after calling Ms. Copeland...they are swamped up there!).

Am I the only SDN interviewing at TOUROCOM NY on the 28th?!?!

Anybody have an idea how to contact the office of admissions. is the number 212-851-1199 ext. 2003, nobody ever picks up, is obed the only admissions office person or is there a number for that. i've called them many times over the last few weeks but nobody picks up to learn of my app status. i sent an email to obed and he hasn't said anything. what should i do?

poorman-

I have been calling 212-851-1198. I'm sure they're both TouroCOM because obviously we both get the prompt to enter the extension.

I have kind of the same situation...just keep calling. I have had 2 phone pickups in the last meh, 3 weeks. Neither was Obed. The same lady answered the phone both times. I didn't ask for her name and she didn't give it, but she was very nice, and sounded flustered.

My secondary and evals were sent February 5 from Texas, and I figured they would take a week...so I started calling the 12th. Well, I didn't get an answer until the 15th, and they didn't know my academic evals were online, so we got that straightened out. Then, I kept calling to confirm that they had been retrieved and were actually on file...no answer until this past Friday, the 23rd. They have everything. I'm extremely antzy for an interview invite. Good luck! Keep calling. Between every class, and on your way to and from school.

They are swamped it takes them a long time to get back to you. They often don't answer emails just because they are not in there office. Obed was talking about how much work he has when I was there for my interview. Email was the best way to get a hold of anyone but it takes awhile either way to get anyone.

Hey there,

Try calling in the afternoon at like 4-5 PM eastern time, maybe until 6 pm. I did that a few times in the past few weeks and Obed picked up more often than not. Obed takes an active role in the interview days so he's not free to answer phones during the morning to early afternoon hours.

P.S. if you get swamped by calls in the afternoon, I apologize Obed.

anyone up in New York right now???

I'm at my hotel waiting for my interview in the morning. Just wondering if anyone wants to go out and relax before the end of the night! Let me know!

hi all

i got back from my interview today (padunty...there was actually an interviewee who wanted to do just that after the interview...walk around and explore ny) but I guess there is no way of getting hold of him now.

For those who are waiting on a confirmation about a date, I didn't receive my confirmation til a few days before the interview, so don't worry. they haven't forgotten you.

for those anticipating an interview, just relax. this was my first interview. i didn't know what to expect. but the folks there are EXTREMELY nice and funny and they try to loosen you up a bit even before the interview. Even my interviewers were excited to interview me, which made me excited for myself and remind myself why I do belong in this school.

For those who are trying to get a hold of Mr. Figueroa, I must say he might be the hardest working person on interview days and is extremely busy from 9-2, which might explain WHY you can't get a hold of him. He's the one who shows you around and answers your questions. He's also the person in charge of getting you to north general hospital, he asks the resident questions that you might be too timid to ask and he's the one who makes sure everything runs smoothly.

Overall, for my first interview, I'd say the interview was great *knock on wood* The people I met, both faculty and interviewees were lots of fun and it was easy to talk to most of them. The next couple of weeks would be like walking on a bed of thorns, but I can only hope for the best. Don't worry and Good luck everyone :luck:

Hey does any one know what the gpa requirement will be for this school. I'm hearing that since it is new maybe they will be more lenient. My GPA is a 2.85 and im taking MCAT in august so thats why i'm asking. I was considering Carribean medical school my only option but until i heard about this school. Any Info???

I have no idea... I heard from Obed that unless you are talented otherwise meaning high gpa, lots of research, experience they wanted a 24+ MCAT and I haven't heard anything about gpa requirements.. If it helps you any I got in with a gpa of 3.5.

I thought they aslo had a GPA cutoff for the secondary. Obed said that they were prescreening both MCAT and GPA (I believe) so that people wouldn't just be sending in the $200. I am sure he would tell you the cutoffs if you emailed him.

initially they were looking for 3.0+/24+ students, but after their initial batch, they are looking at applicants who might be a little lower in one set but strong in the other (for example low mcat/strong GPA or vice versa), but also with a strong application in all other sense (as in research, clinical experiences, overall exposure to diverse population and health care). But they are very good at emailing/calling you back, so I definitely recommend doing so. They're a little busy now with interviews, but I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out.