Transferring undergraduate schools as a pre-med.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poisonfry217

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! This past year I attended George Washington University as a pre- med and academically I did pretty well and finished freshman year with a 3.83 GPA. The only downfall of GW is that I was super unhappy there and nothing seemed to click outside of academics. Because of this I want to transfer to University of Delaware as I felt like it was the best fit for me and where I feel like I will be happiest. UDel is not my state school as I am a New Jersey resident and I was wondering how going from GW to UDel would hurt my medical school chances. The cost of attending UDel would also be less.

Members don't see this ad.

I would value my happiness over anything else. Also, adcoms reeeeally don't care where you go to undergrad, so please go where you'll be happiest.

Besides, if you're happy, you're much more likely to excel as a student.

Are there good volunteer/research opportunities in the area surrounding UDel? That's the only thing I would worry about rather than school name.

Hi guys! This past year I attended George Washington University as a pre- med and academically I did pretty well and finished freshman year with a 3.83 GPA. The only downfall of GW is that I was super unhappy there and nothing seemed to click outside of academics. Because of this I want to transfer to University of Delaware as I felt like it was the best fit for me and where I feel like I will be happiest. UDel is not my state school as I am a New Jersey resident and I was wondering how going from GW to UDel would hurt my medical school chances. The cost of attending UDel would also be less.

Go where you're happiest. I can't think of a single reason this transfer (providing you continue to excel academically at UDel) will have any impact on a future medical school application whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above commenters. Also, keep in mind that many students transfer from CC to a university, this is especially common in the western states. I would imagine that a university --> university transfer would be just as harmless as long as you can maintain your gpa. In fact, the only school that I've applied for that asks about this specifically is einstein, and I imagine that it's used for other reasons, such as getting kicked out of school

I would value my happiness over anything else. Also, adcoms reeeeally don't care where you go to undergrad, so please go where you'll be happiest.

Besides, if you're happy, you're much more likely to excel as a student.

Are there good volunteer/research opportunities in the area surrounding UDel? That's the only thing I would worry about rather than school name.

I was looking for research and there’s a ton of professors who are doing research in stuff that I’m interested in, and Christians hospital also has good volunteer and research opportunities.

I was looking for research and there’s a ton of professors who are doing research in stuff that I’m interested in, and Christians hospital also has good volunteer and research opportunities.

Amazing!!

Also-- what tells you you'll be happier there? Make sure you have good reasons (for yourself) and that you're not just assuming you'll be happier there. It might be a bit of shock getting there and then have it not be what you thought it would be.

If it helps, I had both a graduate of George Washington University and a Graduate if University of Delaware at my T20 interview yesterday. So either one will do you right. Happiness should be your priority, not the name on your degree.

Reactions: 1 user
If it helps, I had both a graduate of George Washington University and a Graduate if University of Delaware at my T20 interview yesterday. So either one will do you right. Happiness should be your priority, not the name on your degree.
What is T20 interview? :D

As long as you can keep up (or even exceed) your good work, whether you transfer or not has no effect on your chances.

Amazing!!

Also-- what tells you you'll be happier there? Make sure you have good reasons (for yourself) and that you're not just assuming you'll be happier there. It might be a bit of shock getting there and then have it not be what you thought it would be.
Overall I felt like I better connected with people the few times I’ve gone there so I feel like it’d be a good fit!

For what it’s worth I transferred from a “prestigious” university to my state school and am doing quite well thus far. So long as your academic metrics and ECs are up to par you’ll be fine anywhere

An interview at a T20 (top twenty) school. I was saying that coming from either of those schools will not hold you back.
Woah :O Congrats on that interview!

Woah :O Congrats on that interview!
And if you go to either UoD or GWU, you can yield the same! Really just matters what you are most comfortable with! The name of your school only matters if you are a good applicant, but if you are a good applicant then the name shouldn't matter! That will only make sense once you get to this point lol