Transition to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, it's been eons since I've been here, hasn't it? Finished the unit early Feb and I was sad. On my last day, I did a presentation on RSI, then wouldn't ya know it, I wind up demonstrating it on a pt going down the tubes:rolleyes: We had 3 expirations that Friday and I didn't leave until after 1900, but all in all it was a good day. Back to the ED then vacation, where I studied for the Inservice exam (it was hard this year) and now I'm back into the ED with a vengeance. How many more months Kat? 14 is it now?

Somehow I didn't think surgery would be up your alley (your rotation sounds as bad as mine, except that I had no intern or resident to buffer me, it was me and the attending, talk about bashing).

After May 2nd you may not hear from me for quite a while, so keep the lines of communication going w/o me (I'll be doing trauma, call q3, eeeeeek) Hope all is improving for you Kat, hi to all else.

ted
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

1 week and 1 day to go until this rotation is HISTORY!

To be more precise, since I am post-call one day next week, only 5 days until this f*%king rotation is over. To add to my crappy mood, I lose my kewl Resident to another service. I get someone else on Monday, who I don't really know all that well...LOVELY, I say, just lovely...

I still need to give my chauvanistic-Attending-who-paid-no-attention-to-me-except-to-throw-insults-at-me my evaluation form to fill out. I don't know which way the eval is going to go. He and his caveman attitude are wearing VERY THIN on me these last few days, and I'm finding it harder and harder to smile and nod my head "yup, yup, yup" at all the crap that falls out of his mouth on a daily basis. He asked me today, "So, how are you holding up [giggle giggle]?" I smiled back at him with the biggest and toothy-ist smile I could manage and thought to myself: just wanting to kick you square in the... :oops: I'm going to give him the eval tomorrow so then maybe I can get it back on Monday and re-adjust my attitude accordingly. +pissed+ I really don't think I can be a Surgeon. There is no way that I could keep up this facade for the next 5 years of my life -- plus, I'd probably come out with a bee-ach attitude to boot. I just like the procedures anyway, not a good enough reason to be a surgeon. Plus, I glaze over at every surg lecture. :sleep: I guess you can take the girl out of the ER, but you can't take the ER out of the girl. ;) :D

Ted, write back when you get a chance and give me a reality check, will ya?!?!

Kat :)

Girl,

I know how you feel!!!! I had a misogynist for surgery and my first year mentor here was too! Real tired of the 'tude. There's this female surgeon (now PGY-3) that was so cool last year, I cannot believe the personality change over the year, more sarcastic, condescending, just downright evil. No, you can't take the ER out of the girl, it's in the blood. Enjoy the rest of your rotations, the closer you are to graduation, the sweeter it gets. :hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

ted

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi NurseyK,

I've been reading alot of yer threads. Can I say its really cool to read about the day in the life of a med student. From when u first got accepted to now almost graduation. Its a joy to read. Good Luck and I hope u get yer match into a residency or internship??
I'm looking into going in to PA school. I'm a medical technologist right now and I do enjoy lab science. I'm not too much of a people person but that could change with time. I don't really have a desire to be a doctor or go to med school for 6-8yrs. Have any advice for someone wishing to be a physician's assistant?

medtechv79 said:
I'm looking into going in to PA school. I'm a medical technologist right now and I do enjoy lab science. I'm not too much of a people person but that could change with time
Wouldn't a PA have as much, if not more, contact with patients than a doctor? Just a thought! :confused:

"Have any advice for someone wishing to be a physician's assistant?"

YUP
#1 THE NAME OF THE PROFESSION IS PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT WITHOUT THE 'S.
#2 KEV IS RIGHT. WE SEE AS MANY PTS/DAY AS THE DOCS SO " NOT BEING A PEOPLE PERSON" WOULD BE A PROBLEM IF YOU WANT TO BE A PA/NP/MD/DO UNLESS YOU WANT TO GO INTO RESEARCH OR PATHOLOGY

OOooohhh my -- I've let the thread slide again! So, onto the update --

Surg is over and I came out on the other side OK. I have been renewing my chi energy doing an elective 2-wk acupuncture rotation (fun!). I eventually want to get licensed to practice acupuncture as a doc. I think a good stress-relief-sideline will be to set up a part-time practice just doing OMT and Acupuncture. Cash only -- that will cut down the drug-seekers and worker's comp scammers. (Sorry to be blunt, remember JMHO..)

I'm back in the ED, or shall I say I'm "home"? I forgot just how much I missed it until I got back into the swing. My Doc this past week has just let me run free (well, as free as I can be at this stage of the game). 3 more weeks of ED fun....

I'm busily trying to set up my next rotation (another Surg). I was thinking about hanging out with the Trauma guy at my current hospital, but no one has anything nice to say about him, plus the Trauma is rather lean and I'd be supplementing with a lot of gallbladders and hernia repairs. If I'm going to get stuck with Gen surg, I might as well go back to one of the local hospitals close to my home (with the Bunz! :love: ) where I know everyone! I called today about a 2/2 split with Plastics and General (hopefully get some procedures), so we'll see, keep those fingers crossed that it goes thru or else I don't know what else I'll do.....

Talk to ya later!

Kat -- the ED Queen for the next 3 weeks :D

Man, I gotta keep up here!

1-1/2 weeks left (5-1/2 more shifts) until the end of MSIII year and onto 2 weeks vacation! woo-woo!

I got my approval all set up for my next rotation (2/2 split w/Plastics and General Surg). Ought to be good....I still need to set up my July rotation (sigh). I'm thinking (b/c it's so close to Boards and I'm going to need to slack a little w/a 8-to-4 type of rotation so I can make SOME effort to study) maybe a 2/2 split with Derm and Rads. Both shouldn't be too taxing on the 'ol brain. Back to the phones!

Ted -- you should be swamped in Trauma now, huh? Hope all is well. Chin up.

Kat :D

Hey Nursy I just wanted to let u know that another has blazed the path and felt the rath you have..I am a Nurse to DO who did feel the somewhat need to hide the fact I was "moving on"...and going to medical school... I guees only those who have experienced this really know and understand the situation...Maybe it comes from the relationship between Nurses and Docs...maybe there is somewhat of an animosity that you are becoming "one of them"...maybe it's jealousy...I really don't know...all I know is that I did feel better once it finally came out...I'm an Rn in an ER and ICU...so I KNOW!!! about the gossip...I really don't talk about it unless asked and as for the Docs in my unit they have started to ask me if I'd like to "know" more about certain things...well I begin in July at LECOM...I will continue to try and PRN as much as possible...but I will always be a Nurse...a valuable set of values to always possess...Nurses make great Doctors...

This has to be the awesomest thread/forum that I have ever visited. AS an ICU nurse applying to medical school I could not have found a more supportive bunch. People who have been through the struggle and excitement of it all. Hopefully you will not mind if I ask a few questions in the future. And keep you all posted of my success (hopefully).

scalpel179

ted in traumaland

well its 4 in the morning (listent to me good, all right so I'm having a flashback to my "Captain Fantastic" days) and I'm at home ready to enjoy a day off after 30 on call (ahem, what 80 hour work rules????) I was comatose on the way home and have been as such (just enough to eat, go to the bathroom then check out what's been going on here :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ) until now.

I find the stuff fascinating but I don't want to be a surgeon, I want to be an EM doc, so this is the beginning of week 3 and there are 5 more to go. I hate being on call but my team makes it very bearable (I lucked out by having a good balance of personalities on the team and surgery residents who are not malignant). Trust me, I am counting down the days until this is just a distant memory, like all the ones recorded in this thread of great historical significance :D Okay, we can tell that I am sleep deprived so I'll stop here. Hi Kat and all other regular and irregular visitors. I will try to surface from time to time and like the loch ness monster, I'll show up when you least expect it. :smuggrin:

see ya bye

ted

PS by the time the countdown is over, both Kat and yours truly will be in the final stretch, for the even bigger countdown, are you ready? :cool: :cool: :cool:

2 weeks of vaca....woo-woo!

Then I get to go back to Gen Surg/Plastics split, which will lead into a Rads/Derm split. I figure these rotations before Boards will give me enough time to come home and make some type of studying effort for Step 2. Lucky us, not only do we get to study for Step 2, but we get to wander around aimlessly trying to figure out what the Match is all about (god knows the school is mum on the subject). Thankfully tho, I'm all set on where to go for Internship (will probably go outside the Match and sign a contract). Hopefully, I can say the same thing a year from now when I'm looking at Residencies; I'd luv to save a couple of bucks and sign a contract outside the Match for both Internship AND Residency -- though I've heard that this happens more in the Osteo world than the Allo world. I'm spending as much of my 4th year going to potential Residency spots with my goal to shake someone's hand after the end of 4th year and say "I'm coming to you" for 2006 (I've already had a phone offer to do so, so I know it's possible).

Man-oh-man, Senior-itis has already kicked in and I'm a year away from the big event! :laugh:

Talk to you soon!

Maannnn, I'm being a slacker here! Time to catch-up...

I'm 2 weeks into my MS IV year and I already have senioritis (NOT GOOD!). The good thing is that we're now on 4 week rotations instead of 6 week, so things seem to move a bit quicker (just as I start to get bored w/the rotation.....all done! :laugh: ). This is definately a good thing! The Gen Surgeon that I'm with is really kewl and let's me do anything and everything I can get my hands on. Next week is Plastics x2 weeks. Then Rads/Derm 2/2 split. I purposely set up mostly "9-5" rotations b/c I'm trying to get a little bit of Board studying done every nite after I come home, or inbetween patients at the hospital/office. So far, so good, but I need more motivation! :p

I think I'm all set (except for the paperwork part) as to where I'm going to go for Internship (I'm probably just going to sign outside the Match and save some $$$). I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that by the end of this year, I'll be sitting here saying the same thing about where I'm going to go for Residency. If I have my druthers, I'd like to be able to walk out of one of my EM rotations this year while shaking a hand saying I'll be there in 2006. Impress, impress, impress....hmmm, I guess I should wash my white coat before I go to one of this "audition"-type rotations? :thumbup: :laugh:

Ted, let me know how things are your way!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Kat,

you know you can apply (not sure if you want to do that) to EM programs that are 2-3-4 at the same time that you are signing your life away to this program :D . This would erase the anxiety of trying to do this again and since you won't have to have the privilege of interviewing for your year one slot, why not join in the fray by getting it over with by going 2-3-4. Just a suggestion, (no coersion intended :p )

trauma is almost over (2 long and trying weeks left). this will essentially end resident call for the rest of my known life (unless I get stupid and decide to go back for another residency). keep those prayers coming, I am on call this evening and the pager is frantically going off, people falling out of trees, what the heck are they doing up there anyway? motorcycles vs deer (who do you think won that battle, no one, not even the "hog"), bicycle vs opposum (I didn't even know that they existed this far east and north), suv vs motorcycle, car vs pedestrian, fall out of chair (yup that happens here too), will it never end? I am glad not to be here for Independence Day, maybe we'd have to film a movie about what happens here on that day. We could get Will Smith maybe Tommy Lee Jones, hey I'd stick around for that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: well, you can tell I am sleep deprived so I am going to stop.

kat, are you going to do any rotations in the nyc area? we should do lunch if so, pm me about your future location (the place you want to do your internship) sounds nice. planning on going to do that forensic rotation, might be a good thing, I think it enhanced my learning experience. just be forewarned, some of the people that work there are a tad warped (hey I guess you have to develop some type of behavior that keeps you going while caring for dead folks). sorry for the rambling, I'll stop now.

bye,

ted

ps by the way, i may not be board certified at the same time that i take my boards, i was forced to take them this past week, oh well can't have everything.

dreamaloud,
You may find it beneficial to do the academic fresh start? It will still be seen by Medical schoo (the class grades before this), but it gives you an opportunity to clear the slate to be able to take the classes.

Hi,

I am a registered nurse (ADN). I have worked Trauma ICU for 1 1/2 years and General/ Cardiac ICU (so far for 4+ months-currently). I have always wanted to be a doctor. I was unable to go to med school from the start due to financial situation. I also wasn't completely mentally and maturely ready. Now, after being a nurse for almost 2 years....I have decided to go back to school. I just wanted to know- Do I need to get a BSN with the prereqs for Med School or Do I need to get a Bachelor's degree in another area? or Is it possible to just have ADN and get prereqs? I know that Medical school doesn't ask for a Bachelor's degree, but do they look upon (through your experience-better)? Also, how does DO look upon ADN with prereqs vs BSN with prereqs vs BAchelor's degree in another area? Are my chances of getting into medical school better with DO? What was your GPA upon acceptance? How many schools did you apply to MD or DO- and how many accepted you? What was your approximate MCAT? I am just unsure if I should take the time to get a BSN or bachelor's degree(if not really needed). I can focus better on my grades with ADN and prereqs---but I surely want to get in!

From what I understand it is very difficult to get accepted to med school without a Bachelor's, I'm sure you can do it but I think you'll need a stellar application. I have been out of school for 6 years and I still got in with a little less than average MCAT. I don't think it really matters what you get your degree in as long as you have the pre-req's. If you really want to get an ALMOST shoo in; get a degree in Spanish and have your pre-reqs. Have an average MCAT and be personable in interviews and you'll get in. If you have any questions PM me.

Hey Ted --

Sorry so long to post back. Been studying for Step 2 and trying to fill out all this dern Match paperwork and hand it in before I leave town in 2 weeks. I'm just about done, except for check writing and signatures. I'm also waiting for a copy of my transcript from my school so I can look it over and make sure there isn't any mistakes on it (nothing like hearing horror stories about that kind of stuff happening from last year's class to make you paranoid).

This Step 2 better be easier than Step 1 because I'm just not motivated to study at all....I finished up an Elective in Rads for 2 weeks, now on to Derm for 2 weeks (nothing like an 8-4 rotation w/o call).

I set up my ED audition rotations from Oct thru Feb. I have one more elective at the end of my MSIV year that I'll use to go back to the place I liked best and really want Residency there. I looked at 2-3-4 Allo pgms profiles and most just haven't had enough DO's to suit me (was it because they didn't apply? or is there a "DO thing" at those hosptials? THAT I definitely don't want to deal with at this stage of my life. I just want to learn, graduate, pass Boards, get a job. Period. Not fight about being a DO, ya know?). So I'm just going to do a 1-2-3 program. I'll PM you about Intership info.

Talk to you later!

I was wondering if it is possible for me to get a BSN and go straight to med school...are the prereqs for med school satisfied with the BSN program..or am I just wasting my time?...or would it be easier just to take prereqs and go to med school..with a BSN, I was thinking that I could take care of the prereqs for med school and have some sort of financial security being a BSN??..is this not a good idea?

I don't have a BSN so I'm sorry that I really cannot answer your question. (I have a BS in Exercise Science from the stone ages that happened to be heavy on med-school pre-reqs). My standard answer to someone who thinks Nursing is a nice "fall-back" career or some type of resume builder for medical school apps is: don't do it if you don't think you would potentially want to do nursing for a career. I've posted my thoughts on this many times. We need students in nursing school that want to be nurses, not doctor-wanna-be's right after graduation (the nursing shortage is hurting everyone in healthcare, let's not contribute to it so blatently). This all may sound harsh, but it's just my $0.02....

Good luck.

AAAAAHHHHHHHH, I must bump my own thread back up!!!

I'm on a clinic type of rotation which is keeping me hopping. I'm also in the middle of studying for Step 2. I can't wait until it's over. I'm sooo ready for a break, maybe catch up on some new fiction and exercise my liver with a few apple martini's....

PS: Enough with these "Doctor v. Nurses" threads already...geez, I have a foot in both those camps and you all are starting to make me feel schizophrenic....should I like myself? should I hate myself? :confused: :laugh:

I'm w/ ya NK-
These doc/nurse threads really have me resenting both camps.
Do like me...I HIKE myself :laugh:

:cool:
Hi all. It is weird being a PGY-3, wished I was this confident in the first year it would have helped a lot :D I passed Step 3 so look out world, I can get a license now. Kat, good luck on step 3. As for those this vs that threads, can't be bothered reading them, life goes on. Hiding out at work right now, the "critical care" area is slow right now so I am perusing the site. Y'all enjoy what freedom you can as a student for now, life will fall on you like a ton of bricks. :smuggrin: just kidding :rolleyes:

the doc

NurseyK said:
AHHHHHHHHH ----

Boards are tomorrow and Wed....everyone say a prayer for us all! :luck: :thumbup:

Good Luck -
Given your past performance I'm sure you will smoke that thing!
F

fuegorama said:
Good Luck -
Given your past performance I'm sure you will smoke that thing!
F

Thank you for your well-wishes..... :) Hell week is over, now it's just time to wait, and wait, and wait for those damn results...I'm sure you've read some of the horror of Step 2 in some of the other posts, so I won't go into it. Keep your fingers crossed for all of us.

Still plugging away at my Ambulatory clinic. I'm with a new doc in more of a rural/underserved-type of clinic. What a KEWL guy! Absolutely a great time! He's really the type of doc you want taking care of you and yours -- really personable. We are always running behind (which makes for a long day) b/c we spend more time bullsh*tting with each other and the patients :laugh: This is going to be a great last 4 weeks of rotation!

Talk to you all later!

Last week left of Clinic and home for VACATION!!! woo-woooooooo :thumbup: Unfortunately I'm not going anywhere special because Hubby starts to get really busy come October. At least I'll be home with da bunz... :love:

Still waiting for those damn board scores....grrr.... +pissed+

Hey all, nice to read the success stories very inspiring. But do tell, how hard was it getting into medical school, after a nursing career, and how did the interviewers perceive your application??? :luck:

DOPhD student said:
dds2b,

Your comment on nurses are jealous (of doctors) because they have to "change bedsheet and dirty diapers" is really uncalled for. Each person of the healthcare team has unique responsibilities to take care of, and everyone has a niche in the overall scheme of patient care. Nurses, as I have learned, do much much more than house keeping chores as you have suggested, and incidentally their service to the patients enables physicians to be more efficient in their work. A simple analogy, the healthcare team is like a body with each profession occupying a different part of the anatomy. Who is to say which part is more vital than the other?

PS. I forgot to mention that my wife was a nursing major before she decided to go to optometry school so I do have a first-hand knowledge of what nursing students have to go through in their training as well as what nurses do.

[This message has been edited by DOPhD student (edited 02-16-2001).]

Thanks for your comment. We hear too many negative comments and its finally nice to hear something postive about nurses. I'm a fourth yr DO student and my girlfriend is a last semester BSN nursing student. They have a tough work load as well. A nurses role in the hospital is just as vital as the physician.

Snowman...I think you have replied to the wrong thread. I'm trying to keep the flame-war out of this one. :)

AKA04....I'm not sure what you're asking me. No DO school I applied to had a "problem" with my application/career. My BS is in Exercise Science (not nursing), so my medschool pre-reqs were complete a long time ago. As far as medschool being tough? Yep, it was...the way I expected it to be.

Hey all -- haven't posted in a while. Lucky me is on vacation for the next few weeks. Get to spend some time with the bunz and wait for my damn board scores. :scared: It's the long wait that kills ya....

Been a looooooooooooooong time since I've posted here. PGY-3 now and I've had to start again with the research, CV's and thinking about interviewing, seems like yesterday I was doing this nonsense. I am on vacation the week after next. I guess I'll be doing some serious running around for future employment. Kat, I know you did well on Step 2. You studied as opposed to moi, Step 3 was taken in the middle of my trauma rotation. even if I had wanted to, I was too exhaused to even keep my eyes open long enough to glance over a page, but I am grateful I don't have to take that sucker again. May be a while before I post back again, but I'll let you in on the news wherever I am. My best to all,

ted :cool: :cool: :cool:

emedpa said:
"Have any advice for someone wishing to be a physician's assistant?"

YUP
#1 THE NAME OF THE PROFESSION IS PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT WITHOUT THE 'S.
#2 KEV IS RIGHT. WE SEE AS MANY PTS/DAY AS THE DOCS SO " NOT BEING A PEOPLE PERSON" WOULD BE A PROBLEM IF YOU WANT TO BE A PA/NP/MD/DO UNLESS YOU WANT TO GO INTO RESEARCH OR PATHOLOGY

Whatever........you are a PHYSICIAN'S ASSISTANT no matter how you dress it up. You also see as many pts/day as we don't want to see. Now go see that 89 year old with low back pain, boy! :laugh:

Ted --

I'm glad things are going well for you. You're going to get a great job. Are you staying around here or going back to AZ?

I got my Step 2 scores. Did even better than Step 1. Which leaves me in a good position for Internship and Residency interviews this year and next year. I've got 3 rotations in a row (at potential residency sites) coming up starting in another week -- I'm starting to get a little excited! Got my interview for Internship this Friday. Just have to schedule my Step 2 PE test (probably in springtime) and other than that it's clear sailing until graduation! :thumbup:

Talk to you later!

emedpa said:
" NOT BEING A PEOPLE PERSON" WOULD BE A PROBLEM IF YOU WANT TO BE A PA/NP/MD/DO UNLESS YOU WANT TO GO INTO RESEARCH OR PATHOLOGY

Off subject, but have you every had an FNA? I did and it was done by a persoanble pathologist, like the type I hope to become! :rolleyes:

And BTW, former nurses make the best doctors! :thumbup:

pathdr2b said:
Off subject, but have you every had an FNA? I did and it was done by a persoanble pathologist, like the type I hope to become! :rolleyes:

And BTW, former nurses make the best doctors! :thumbup:

I agree.

Holy Cow! Talk about your slacker here!.... :D

Ok, the update:

I'm finishing up my 1st of 3 EM rotations in a row. Trying to decide where to go for Residency in 2006 (2005 will be Osteo Internship, which is pretty well sewn up :thumbup: ). I'm having a good time where I am; with one more week to go here. Everyone is great, program seems well run. Of course there are problems/bitching/moaning...that's going to be anywhere. Where I wind up will just be the place where I think that I can handle THAT particular programs problems better than the others. I'm a realist here.

Going to try to keep my mind open at these next 2 hospitals. Everyone tells me that I'll just "know" what program is going to be right for me....I'll have to keep you all posted as soon as I hear the little tinkling bell go off in my head. :idea: :laugh:

NurseyK said:
Holy Cow! Talk about your slacker here!.... :D

Yeah!!! I've become a member of the slacker club too! :thumbup:

Good luck on making up your mind for EM...I think I have mine made up for FP.

Hey --

Tomorrow's presentation will end my time here in this ED. For the most part, I've had a good time -- Residents seem happy, Attendings don't seem malignant. Of course, there are "personalities" -- I ran into a few of them yesterday (read: felt like a little bastard step-child no one wanted). Sooo, just will have to see the "personalities" in my next 2 ED's and go from there. (Note to self: must keep open mind before making decision on Residency, must keep open mind... :thumbup: )

may i ask a question??
are there many PTs transit to DO or MD schools?
I want to know this imformation?
Because i want to study DO school.

fapt said:
may i ask a question??
are there many PTs transit to DO or MD schools?
I want to know this imformation?
Because i want to study DO school.

I'm a PT, and now I'm in DO school. There's one more PT in my class and the class above me has one also. It's not uncommon for PTs to go on to medical school and the osteopathic world seems to particularly favor us.

-J

hmm
Thanks a lot DOctorJay...
I thought there should be few PTs to medical schools.
does DO school learn more than PT school?
Is it going to be late to start DO schools while i am 30? :confused:
I think i want to be a Dr. and more independent than PT...
Thanks!

Hey there!

I'm at my 2nd of 3 total ED "audition" rotations. I've started at a small affiliate hospital for the past 2 weeks and will go to the big-boy hospital starting this week for quite a few shifts. I also have been talking to the PD who seems to have taken a liking to me (or at least my pedigree :laugh: ). I'm really hoping I'll like it here. So far so good. The Docs I'm working with at this smaller hospital have graduated from the big-boy hospital program, and seem to be quite comfortable at their job. We all have the same sense of humor, so that always makes the shifts go quick! I'll keep ya'll posted!

TTTEEEDDDD, where are you? 6 more mos 'till Attendinghood for you and Doctorhood for me...aaahhhhhh! :thumbup:

Heyyyy all --

I've gotten to the "big-boy" hospital. Many more patients = much busier. Lot's of critical stuff to cut my teeth on (of course, mixed in with the not-so-critical's), and lots of procedures too (a good thing). SOOOO, with that all said, I think I've decided on coming here for Residency. I still want to check out my next rotation (#3 audition rotation), but unless I fall in luv with them.... :laugh:

NurseyK,

At one point in your posting, it seems like you got a bad rap from nurses in general and no one congratulated you from the OTHER site. Just wanted to say congrats. Like you, I went further, not MD but to SRNA.
Anyway, much success in med school.

rn29306

+pad+ Gotta do da bump....

TEEDDD, where are ya? Hope your Holiday was great and you don't have to work for New Years!

I just talked to my next rotation site (#3 "audition" rotation)....geezz they were awefully nice on the phone. I am still in a quandry about how to explain to my current rotation that I want to go here for Residency but I need to check this next place out....Grrrr...I hate trying to find the right words to say something so it doesn't come out like I am trying to jerk someone around! You also have to love the posts of, "Hospital X told me they would rank me highly and I ranked them #1 and I got screwed...." Damn Match process. And think, I get to do this all AGAIN next year.... :rolleyes:

NurseyK are you planning on a DO EM residency, as a DO graduating from an MD EM residency ...I am simply curious.

Hi there Freeeedom!

Planning to do Osteo Intern year to get the check in the box, then do Allo EM.

Any words of wisdom are always appreciated.

hmm..I've just started nursing school and I'm planning to proceed to medschool afterwards. do you guys think my "transition stage" will be anything like NurseK's? just wondering what it will be like... ehehe. :)

<WARNING: here comes a huge vent>

At my new ED rotation -- talk about sucking hard. :thumbdown:

I can't stand it here. I get told by the Asst Director/Attendings to "take it easy" and "not here to move the meat" and "we'll pick the pt's for you to see".......well, how's that all working out? I'm averaging one pt A DAY when I'm used to cranking out 10-15 pt's per 10 hr shift (ouch). Ok, ok, you say. Just relax and enjoy. Ok. I'm trying....save for the f*cking residents who feel the need to tell me that I'm lazy and unmotivated b/c I'm not running up to the chart rack and moving meat "like the last medstudents" b/c "you just didn't understand the [Asst Dir] instructions about your responsibilities". OK, so precept me then...."oOOHHH, NNOOooo, I'm too busy.." :rolleyes: PPPPUUULLLEEEZZZ, give me a damn break. I have to now find the damn Asst Dir and "clarify" my duties b/c these freak residents have labeled me incorrectly and I want to make ABSOLUTELY sure that I'm in the right here. +pissed+ I guess too that I'm supposed to be getting excited about watching Foley's and IV's placed and "watching" a pt have an MI. Hello? What part of "I used to be an ED/Trauma RN" did you all not understand?!? Even the nurses are like, "Uh, Doc, she's seen and done a million of these. How's about showing her some Doctor stuff?"

I've had it and I only have one week under my belt. :mad:

On the up-side: I feel even better about telling my last location that I want to go there for Residency. The charting is better, US usage is unparalleled, and (relative) lack of a million other residents and fellows allows for more procedure time and more true decision making (vs calling the resident on [insert any service here] and asking them to come down to see pt and decide on D/C vs Admit).

....3 more damn weeks....I really am going to have to try to pull a decent grade for this rotation out of my a$$..... :rolleyes:

Kat