Transition to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A rant like that reveals some deep feelings. Don't deny your LOVE for that program! I'm thinkin' there's a less lonely spot on that upcoming ROL. :laugh:

A better approach might be, "hey Dr. Asst. Director sir, put me on the clock and then I'll place that foley". :p

Let us know how that goes for ya.
F

Members don't see this ad.

I have actually found the NICE resident! :wow: :eek: Who knew? This resident has been letting me do some "Doctor" stuff (couple of US, LP, corneal abrasion, lac) and keeping me "involved" with stuff (XR reading, DDx). I'd like to say it's b/c he's a DO and I get my DO-tatoo in another few months and he's just keepin' it real for his peep. :laugh: A really nice guy and thank god he's been around. He's swinging to afternoons so we'll see tomorrow....

Meanwhile, the Attendings keep letting me sit and watch...and watch...and watch....So I got involved with the nurses as another set of "knowing" hands during the Traumas today b/c I just couldn't take it anymore just standing around watching and picking my own a$$. :p Problem comes when the Trauma surgeon starts firing off orders at me and I can't do Jack or **** about them b/c I don't have access to meds/etc. All was ok tho....and at least I felt like I was helping mommy and daddy like a big girl. After I got all ungowned and stood tall in my baby medstudent white coat, a couple of the residents/Attendings were like, "HUH? You're the medstudent!" "You've done that stuff before haven't you?" (WTF have I been saying, hello??) :rolleyes:

And I still can't find the Asst Dir. I think he's just being passive-aggressive and dodging the crazy P.O.'d medstudent! :smuggrin:

Sooooo.....only 2 weeks and 1 day to go. :mad: :barf:

Kat

NurseyK said:
I have actually found the NICE resident! :wow: :eek: Who knew? This resident has been letting me do some "Doctor" stuff (couple of US, LP, corneal abrasion, lac) and keeping me "involved" with stuff (XR reading, DDx). I'd like to say it's b/c he's a DO and I get my DO-tatoo in another few months and he's just keepin' it real for his peep. :laugh: A really nice guy and thank god he's been around. He's swinging to afternoons so we'll see tomorrow....

Meanwhile, the Attendings keep letting me sit and watch...and watch...and watch....So I got involved with the nurses as another set of "knowing" hands during the Traumas today b/c I just couldn't take it anymore just standing around watching and picking my own a$$. :p Problem comes when the Trauma surgeon starts firing off orders at me and I can't do Jack or **** about them b/c I don't have access to meds/etc. All was ok tho....and at least I felt like I was helping mommy and daddy like a big girl. After I got all ungowned and stood tall in my baby medstudent white coat, a couple of the residents/Attendings were like, "HUH? You're the medstudent!" "You've done that stuff before haven't you?" (WTF have I been saying, hello??) :rolleyes:

And I still can't find the Asst Dir. I think he's just being passive-aggressive and dodging the crazy P.O.'d medstudent! :smuggrin:

Sooooo.....only 2 weeks and 1 day to go. :mad: :barf:

Kat

First , I feel your pain! After my clerkships ended I vowed not to go back into that arena of “licking a** as the medical student”, 1st) its totally demeaning , and 2nd) I’ve had more experience then some of the interns…..so I’ve basically did my away rotations, and have been doing ICU and anatomy dissections = low key, less stress…..and extra time to pour over my rank lists!

ALMOST THERE!

Members don't see this ad :)
AAAAHHHHHHHH!

3 more shifts with these f*&%ers!!!! I have HAD it! I totally (but somewhat respectfully) went off on one of the Residents who was just badgering me today....I couldn't take it anymore. Honest. (At least he quit it.) This was also on the heels of two of the Attendings talking with one of them starting to say something about finding/giving a chart to me even though it was getting busy ("OH ppuullleeeezzzz.....{grumble, grumble}....."). There was going to be even more to the snide remarks, but they turned around and noticed that I was standing there staring at them/hearing their comments. FINE. WHATEVER....I'm a big girl and certainly understand that when it's busy the last thing anyone wants is a shadow. Hell, one of the Charge RN's turned to everyone (while in front of his new orientee nurse) and said, "I'm never taking a new orientee again. This is bullsh*t....uh, no offense to you." Come on folks! Let's not treat the new kids in the sandbox like crap even though you're busy. I certainly could give a **** less whether I sit there all day and read my EM book, but that new nurse looked like she was going to throw up and cry all at once -- face got all red and she just stared down at the floor....I felt really bad for her. Nice people here, huh?

I talked with the Asst. PD last week and he basically told me that "everyone" gets a High Pass and he would have already spoken to me if I was going to get anything less. "Only 5% of students coming thru get an Honors Pass". So, thankfully, I have not worked my a$$ off for (I assume) a "B" the way I did at one of my last rotations (both of these pieces of **** are Electives and my "official" EM rotation grade on my transcript will be an "A"). +pissed+ I am going to "remind" this guy tomorrow to have my eval ready for Wed (latest Thurs) b/c I'm going to use Fri as a travel day to G.T.F.O.

GGGRRRRRRrrrrrr :mad: +pissed+ :mad: I just gotta keep it together for another 3 days...I just gotta keep it together for another 3 days....

Kat

whelp ---

The ED rotation-from-hell is over and I'm onto a glut of FP rotations (thinly veiled under the names "Rural/Underserved" and "Primary Care Selective"). I must say though, a bad day in the ED is better than a good day in FP....I forget how much I hate the office until I'm in it {shiver}. It takes a special type of person to go FP or IM, and God bless you all that can do it. I just can't.

With that said, I Osteo Matched for my Traditional Internship like I expected. Just have to go through NRMP 2006 Match for EM Residency. Until then....just chugging along until graduation.

Kat :)

Hey Kat-
Where in the world were you that you had such a sh*tty EM rotation? Glad I didn't go there.

PM me, I'm curious.

And congrats on matching into your internship. Where are you going?

{sigh}...letting it slide again...

This time, I think I'm going to depart from my usual +pad+ and wax philosophical....here's JMHO....

When I started medschool, I thought like a "nurse". I spent 2 years in a classroom filling my head with "doctor stuff" before being launched out onto clerkships. On clerkships, my newfound "doctor stuff"-thoughts came as a backseat to the "nurse". If push came to shove, the "nurse" took over in word and action -- and I was not faulted for it by Attendings. I could still answer the "doctor stuff" pimp questions, and function rather well in my little scutpuppy role as a medstudent. After watching me work, the first comment was usually, "You're a nurse, right?"

The last 4 months brought me back to my old haunting grounds -- the ED. I'd like to think that after proving myself as a competent fmr ED nurse and new medstudent, I was given responsibliites rivaling an EM PGY1 (especially at the place I want to go to for residency!). As the nurses and their management got to know me, I was involved in many discussions about the "how to's" of running an ED/staffing ratios/etc. I enjoyed these discussions, don't get me wrong, BUT -- the more responsibility that was handed to me on the "doctor" end of things, I began to find these conversations distracting (Ex: I have to do a pelivc in 1, GB US in 4, and an LP in 10...I don't have time to talk about how to manage your ED holds more efficently). By the end of my last EM rotation (as crappy as it was), one of the nurses said to me, "Hey, we were all talking about you. We were just saying that you're A DOCTOR -- the way you carry yourself; the way you act. Oh, we knew you were a nurse from Day 1 by the way you worked... but you're THE DOC, no question. You act more like an ED Doc than some of our Residents! Any of us would be happy to work for you..." (yes, of course I got teary!! :laugh: )

Lately, I have been re-certing for ACLS, PALS, NRT, etc., with most of my other classmates being nurses. As I sat there, listening to the Instructor give what I perceived as very watered-down reasons for XYZ principle/procedure -- it hits me. All this crap about "nurses are dumber" and "docs are smarter"....it all lies in the training and scope of practice of each. Yes, as a nurse I didn't know the in-depth information about disease processes and treatment that I do now. And, more importantly, I DIDN'T NEED TO KNOW IT for my job at the time. I needed to know that presentation W meant disease X that I needed to give Y drug and see Z response. Not the why's and wherefore's of it all. Just the fact's, ma'am, and that knowedge base served me well at the time. I look on it now as "watered-down" just because I've been through "the rest of the story" (as Paul Harvey says). That doesn't make me somehow inherently smarter. I just learned it as part of my NEW scope of practice as a physician. In my new physician role, I am EXPECTED to know the why's and wherefore's. The Instructor was talking about mixing/hanging/pushing drugs, and turned to me and said, "Hey, you just have to order 'em now, huh Doc." We talked about intubation and needle decompression, etc, etc -- "Now you'll all set up for Doc here..." (They lovingly call me Doc here because they all know me from previous rotations and this is where I'm doing my Intern year.)

Yep, I'm gonna be the Doc now. Does this mean the little nurse in me is gone? No. And I don't think she'll ever fully leave. Can I give the orders? Sure. But can I also set up my own trays and function well on my own if need be? You better believe it. It brings to mind a converstation I had with an IM Doc (fmr 20+ yr nurse) when I first started out on rotations. She told me that over time, I'll begin to have the "doctor" in me think first, THEN the "nurse" in me will pipe up. At the time, I didn't understand how the heck that was ever going to happen. Now I understand what she said, because it's happened.

Thanks for the soapbox....

NK-
Great post as usual. As a MSII, that nursey stuff has become a REALLY small voice. The cramming of pre-clinical doctorness can shake what felt like an uber-competent RN right outta me.
Maybe there will be a little rescue this summer when I start third year.

I hope you continue posting through internhood.
Thanks-
F

NurseyK said:
I don't know if I'm looking for empathy, a pat on the back or just in need of some sleep after a crappy couple of shifts and short-swinging......'ere goes:

My hard work has paid off and I have begun to receive a handfull of acceptances to DO schools (my preference) first shot at the whole process. I had kept the whole decision a secret from my co-workers (why? I don't know...seemed like the best way to stay out of the ER gossip machine), except for one ED Tech - I had happened to see him while taking the MCAT exam...sitting behind me of all places!

This past month, the Tech saw me in the hall and congratulated me, others saw and asked what was up....so, I told them what was/had been going on. I got "oh yeah?" from the nursing staff, and many congrats, etc., from the medical staff. HUH?! not one congrats by ANY nurse? I just don't get it.

One of the other nurses (who, actually I can safely/confidently say, no one actually LIKES because of many reasons - leaving you to hang by yourself with a critical patient or 3 tops the list, trust me) just got into PA school - oh my, we had a banner and a cake and a this and a that for a week on end. Hell, I can't get a lousy "good for you"; just "oh..." I swear...

Re-reading this, I sound catty and awful. I guess I'm just a bit hurt. I've sweat and laughed and cried and sweat some more with these people for years...Nurse Manager is acting wacky too, but that's another story...

Any of you other Nurses-to-Docs get any grief when approaching "short-timer" status at your jobs before school? and, after getting actually 'in' school...how to you feel your transition went/is going?...I'm interested to hear....

Thanks!
(I'll step down off the soapbox now)
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by NurseyK (edited 02-14-2001).]

can it be you???? why didnt you tell them in the first place? think some are more upset at you for keeping it a secret.

nm, disreguard my above post. didnt know it was 4 years and counting

Gosh, when will this poor me, nursey K thread DIE? Ugh! Oh well..she'll always be Nursey to all of us, right? Looking for empathy, blah blah...It's a huge oprah wine-fest!

:cool:

hey all, I know I fell off the face of the earth but hello and Happy Easter to all celebrating the holiday. Congrats, Kat, so when do you match EM, next year?

the count down is on!!!

doc ted

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Ted!

Yep, gotta do match AGAIN starting this summer....ouch!

Hope your Easter was well....mine always is....after all, I hold the Easter bunnies hostage all year long! :laugh:

Kat

Hi NurseyK, thanks for this thread. I am (was?) an ICU nurse whose now MS2. I got some weird reactions when I told people I was going to study medicine, "Why would you want to do THAT? (looks increduluous)". The professor at the uni I was lecturing at part time said "you'll just end up teaching medicine instead of teaching nursing" - I nearly laughed out loud in her face !

Anyway, I'm posting because I wanted to ask about you choice of field, you were an ED nurse - and your aiming for an EM residency? Was this always you goal? I think I want to do crit care, ED, or cardiology - I just can't see myself doing anything less acute (I have to concentrate hard not to drift off in lectures when they discuss something trivial ).

Cheers, JF

The best advice I can give you is to keep your mind open on all your clerkships and enjoy each of them. Get to different hospitals, participate in different treatment plans. You may not even like IM -- which is the pathway to CC or Cards.

Of the 4 of us in my class that were ED RN's, I believe only 2 of us are going to do EM Residencies (one other is doing IM/Peds, the other I haven't heard officially -- she wanted to do IM last I spoke with her). I, too, entertained thoughts of other career paths -- one of which was surgery -- until I got back onto my home turf (the ED) at the end of my MSIII year. I knew I just couldn't do anything else.

GL!

I don't know if I have ever said this, but congratulations to both of you. I was a PT prior to medical school...and I think it is fantastic that you chose to go to medical school to further your scope of knowledge.

And while the road is long and hard, you will find that there is no other way to properly learn medicine...pimping and doing.

I'll be done with residency in 2 months...and life is good.

Thanks Freeeedom....

I can't wait until graduation in June - this school crap is finally coming to an end....but we're getting "rules" right up to the end. Per a recent e-mail, we were told exactly what our "dress code" is expected to be for graduation :eek:

grr :mad: 2 more months, 2 more months.....

Kat

+pad+

ok, ok....so I slid a bit....:laugh:

I've finished up with 8 llloooonnnngggg weeks of FP, and am now in the middle of Optho. I am the cell and flair queen! :thumbup: My goal was to get more comfy with eyes, so I'm actually staying on this rotation for another 2 weeks. That, and I found out that the Anesthesia guys wouldn't have let a medstudent do jack soooo, I wasn't going to waste 2 weeks standing around an OR ooooohhhhhhh-ing and aaaaahhhhhh-ing over intubations that I've seen/assisted with a gadzillion times. Instead, I'm standing around ooohhhh-ing and aaaahhhhh-ing over dilated fundoscopic exams :laugh: Seriously though, I'm getting great at the direct fundoscopic exam (dilated and nondilated) as well as using the slit lamp. The boys here are pretty laid-back and the office is close to my home so, let's just say me and my mountain bike have been getting more acquainted with each other on some of the nice days we've been having!

Going to pack up in 2 weeks and head to another local hospital for 4 weeks of ICU (repeat after me: OUCH!!! -- No need for anyone to reaffirm what I already know). Hey, it was the only place that ICU was going to fit in the schedule.....for the next 2 weeks I'm going to practice saying, "Hey, this is my last rotation before graduation...be warm and fuzzy with me!" over and over and over. :clap:

Kat :D

Hey there!

Just finished up with eye-land with all post-rotation paperwork bundled up and sent to the school. {sigh} only one more time to do all this, thank god...it's getting very old. Rumor has it that one of the Intensivists at this next hospital gets off on making the medstudents cry....gggggrrrreeeeaaaattttttttt :rolleyes:

Repeat after me: "I'm graduating at the end of this rotation, please don't hurt me....I'm graduating at the end of this rotation, please don't hurt me...."

Got one week of ICU down, only 12 days left....sigh. Also got thru my first week with the "Intensivist who likes to make people cry," and it actually went fine. I just kept her laughing by making jokes and did the work I was assigned. No problem.

There is this huge a$$-kisser of an Intern on this service.....:rolleyes: It just gets so tiring to watch. He tries to make everyone else look incompetent by following ALL the patients on the service and trying to "add" to the presentations of everyone else's patient (or just flat out jumps the gun on the other 2 Interns' patients and starts talking/presenting before they even get a chance to form a word with their open mouths). I've gotten him good a few times just by knowing my patient better and being able to answer more pimp questions.....I know, I know....stupid for me to even get involved in a pissing match with 12 days left, but at this point so close to graduation, I refuse to have some Intern act like a gunner medstudent. Hello??? You're an INTERN, there's no need to act like an a$$-sucking-gunner anymore and make the rest of your team look like losers who can't figure out the difference between a hole in a ground and their...well, you get my point here.......

12 more days, 12 more days.....I just can't wait to be done.

HERE COMES A HUGE RANT..... :thumbdown: :mad: +pissed+

I have soooo had enough of this kiss-a$$ FP Intern :thumbdown:

.....if there are any interactive teaching sessions or pimp-questions asked by the Attending and/or NP that he cannot answer and someone else can when directly asked (ie: me) his kid immediately starts up with PERSONAL attacks against me, my husband's profession ("Oh, puulllleeezz, being a magician isn't a REAL job..."), my former profession ("oh, you didn't really handle any traumas as a nurse..."), and my future profession (EP's are stupid, don't know what they're doing, "here's yet another story of a stupid EP...", etc.). I HAVE HAD IT. This kid as been a Doctor for all of 5 minutes of his life in only one hospital, and thinks he has the stones to insult everyone and anyone he pleases.

....Attendings think (or appear to as far as I can see) that he's a "real go-getter" and just "knows what he wants" when he starts making snappy-a$$ comments about crap he has no clue about --- ie: "When *I* ordered the blood drawn and it was taking forever, I was like COME ON PEOPLE LET'S MOVE and I just went in and drew it myself and showed those nurses..." On a trauma: "...well if the pt is stuck in the wreck the EMT's just have to
P-U-L-L H-I-M O-U-T then, DDDUUUHHHH. COME ON PEOPLE, just pull him out, I mean REALLY. It's not that hard..." So I pipe up (along with another student from another service (I assumed from their comments must have been an EMT) that happened to be standing in the particular huddle at the time) that the pt can't just be hauled out of a vehicle by being grabbed under the shoulder's and pulled....this is real-life and not TV and that's not the way things are done. He should do a ride along sometime or take a class to see exactly how a scene is secured, pt extricated, etc.....(PS: extrication time on the pt was >1-1/2 hours using heavy equipment and there was talk possibly having to amputate a body part in order to get the pt out). After finding out that info, the jerk changed his tune and re-adjusted the all-mighty-attitude-look on his face.

...He also makes sure he lets EVERYONE know every chance he gets that he comes in at 0-dark-30 to start rounds and finish his notes/orders on his patients, AND makes sure to mention numerous times that, while he's at it, he goes around and updates himself on the other 2 Interns' patients and write THIER orders....so now the other 2 Intern's look like slackers, the Senior IM Resident looks like they aren't in control of the team, and I look like I can't write a couple of notes fast enough (he makes sure to time his notes before mine instead of just signing off/adding to my note -- hell, he's not even co-signing my notes). This, of course, makes me feel like my notes are not worth the paper they are written on, since no one is looking at them anyway (because of this I'm actually going to start following one or two of the other Intern's patients). Deep down, not that I give a flying **** after all, this place is NOT my Intern or Residency site and I'm done with this damn place in another 8 days, but still.....I make an effort here to show up on time, write a nice complete note, know enough about the pt for rounds (of which I get underminded by jacka$$), participate in all the teaching sessions, and put a happy-face on all day to look like I'm interested in everything that anyone is doing and saying....and I get to look like and be treated like an a$$-hole by a gunner Intern.

.....He started in with me on Friday about scutting me out for my last days, I leaned over to the other Intern sitting next to me and said in a loud voice, "You know, he just can't stop busting my ovaries....you should have heard him ripping on me when you were off post-call the other day..." That shut this a$$ up for a while. ggggrrrrrrrr

On top of it, the school gives us this great threatening e-mail that if they don't have this current rotation's paper work by the Monday after this rotation ends, we are NOT going to get a diploma at graduation. :eek: And, by the way, don't call or e-mail about checking if they got it after you send it b/c they don't want to hear it......Talk about almost sh*tting myself reading all this. In response to this most recent threat to my safe graduation, I'm going to give out evals on Thursday, to be handed back to me either that day or Friday morning....so I can take them to the Grand-Poh-Bah IM Director to write a summary eval on Friday/latest Tuesday am (b/c Monday is a Holiday)....so I can RRRUUUUUNNNNN my hiney over to the post office to Next-Day Mail all my paperwork to the school (and have a nice tracking number just in case.....). You know, the more I think about it, I would have *gladly* given up one of my electives if it meant being done with rotations and allow for some breathing room before graduation to avoid something like this.

:mad: I HAVE HAD ENOUGH I HAVE HAD ENOUGH I HAVE HAD ENOUGH..... :mad:

Kat

After you graduate and get your 1st letter from the alumni association begging for money tell no and attach a copy of the e-mail as your reason.

That'll bust their chops.... :D :D :D

Hey ---

3 more days this next week: Monday is day off given by IM Program Director and Friday was given as a travel day (isn't that nice of 'em?). Things are things. Sent all my "end-of-rotation" paperwork to school today after faxing it all, so hopefully there will be no snags with my Diploma... ;)

Still no chances to do Central lines, intubations, etc; Residents get all the procedures. But...critical pt circled drain and decided to arrest and I got there first with Doc (rest of residents stood outside the door). As I helped out the Nurses, I ran the code (with Doc next to me going, "Yup, yup, do what she says..."). Afterwards Doc asked what residency I was going to do, and I said EM, the reply was, "Ah, I knew it. You're going to be a great EP." Checkmark in the box for a good grade on this rotation! :thumbup: :laugh:

In advance, Dr. Kat, D.O. CONGRATS, you go girl!!!! What a bumpy ride but in the end, it was all worth it. Do you remember the nonsense you were going through when this all started? Nice to know that you are far beyond that now. Good luck in internship, personally I will be lurking from time to time, just on the fringes. Best of luck to all that have stuck with this thread. Try to keep it going.

ted, D.O. :)

One of my friends, an ICU RN for many years, when asked why he chose to be a PA vs. a NP, said to me with a twinkle in his eye but only half-joking: "Nurses eat their young."
Yikes!
Most are wonderful, but it only takes a few doozies to overshadow the wonderful. Ah well.
Lisa PA-C
Happy for you too!

NurseyK said:
I agree...a flame-war about nurses vs. doctors is not what my original intent was. To educate the ignorant masses about exactly what a nurse, me in particular, does would take me a lifetime...and then some. I've grown to ignore certain comments over the years.

It continues to be funny, though, I am a semi-regular poster on a Nursing webboard for quite a few years now...again not ONE congrats from a NURSE (same as on the job); actually on that board, I've been flat-out insulted ("don't think it's going to be any easier as a doctor," "you'll never truly be ONE of them")....so much for the 'nurturing' profession.

Thanks for the congrats!

It's been 4 long years, but worth it. Onward to Internship and Residency, with a job and "real" paycheck not far behind. AAhhh, it'll be nice to just have to get up and go to work every day and not sit in a classroom, worry about a test, wonder if rotation evals have gotten to the school......IT'S ALL DONE!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:

Hubby and I are going to take a few days before Internship starts this week to get out of town and relax at a little Bed & Breakfast place in the Berkshires. My "job" for 3 days: to watch the grass grow! :laugh:

Kat :hardy: :D

I have followed this thread for far too long. As one of your fellow nurses (yes, a part of you will always be a nurse), congratulations. I have enjoyed the vicarious journey.

Thank you for your well wishes! :D

Intern orientation has started (ZZZZzzzzzz....). On Wed, I begin my year off with Medicine (ouch). The beating will continue with OB and Peds/NICU both following (double ouch). I guess the nice way to look at my schedule this year (is there a nice way??) is that all my pain-in-the-a$$ floor medicine rotations will be done by Jan (I have one ICU rotation after that but that I know will be great b/c I did it as a medstudent).

[sigh]...let the beatings begin!!!! :laugh:

Congrats!

I hope you find your internship to be rewarding.

Awesome.

Wow. Well I am currently a Flight Nurse finishing up my pre reqs for DO school here in AZ. I plan to attent either 2007/2008 year. I loved reading your story.

I was lucky, i didnt have the same reception from my co workers as you did. Not only were all my RN coworkers and friends excited but the Docs i work with (who have been saying it for years) near jumped out of their chairs. I had a great recpetion to my decision to goto med school.

Your story in not only inspiring but an excellent part of this board for those of us headed in the same direction. It was nice to read the trials and work you did as well as the things issues you have surmounted to get where you are.

I will endevor to do the same and chronicle my work if only to help one other make the decision that its worth it. As a buddy of mine told me "You can be 40 and a nurse or 40 and a Doc, what do you want to do?"

dds2b said:
Congrats on your acceptance.

They're just jealous that you got in and won't have to change bedsheets and dirty diapers like they will be doing.

Nurses do much more than change bed sheets and dirty diapers; anyways we have aids to help us with all of that. I do agree that doctors have to lead the team but I don't agree that they are our bosses. The nurse manager is our boss; the nurse supervisor is our boss. They are the ones that hire us, make our schedules and tell us what will be done when. This statement seems to come from a person who does not know what they are talking about.
I think a person should be doing what they are happy with. Nurses that go on to be doctors, never wanted to be a nurse in the first place and I am happy for them that they got what they really wanted. It takes a very special person to be a nurse. Because if you want to be a leader and get a higher degree you can do it in nursing to. Bed side nursing is not the end all of everything. There are masters and PhD in nursing too, which are not easy to get.
Remember there is a nursing shortage, we need smart nurses and nursing students who think of nursing more than what a nurse’s aid does. Lack of respect is one of the main reasons there is a nursing shortage. I respect others profession and I wish you would respect mine, or try to at least. I have a bachlors in nursing and soon will get a masters and maybe someday a Phd just becasue i love nursing. If your loved one was in the Critical care unit I sure hope that the nurse can do more and understand more than just changing beds and diapers.
Anyways, I don’t like this nurse vs. Doc thing; I get along with all my docs. They respect me and in turn I respect them more for it.

DOPhD student said:
dds2b,

Your comment on nurses are jealous (of doctors) because they have to "change bedsheet and dirty diapers" is really uncalled for. Each person of the healthcare team has unique responsibilities to take care of, and everyone has a niche in the overall scheme of patient care. Nurses, as I have learned, do much much more than house keeping chores as you have suggested, and incidentally their service to the patients enables physicians to be more efficient in their work. A simple analogy, the healthcare team is like a body with each profession occupying a different part of the anatomy. Who is to say which part is more vital than the other?

PS. I forgot to mention that my wife was a nursing major before she decided to go to optometry school so I do have a first-hand knowledge of what nursing students have to go through in their training as well as what nurses do.

[This message has been edited by DOPhD student (edited 02-16-2001).]

Thank you for your message, I have my bachelors in nursing and it was hard!! I am a wonderful student and nursing studies consumed my life for 4 years. I plan on furthering my education in nursing to get a masters and will not always be a bedside nurse but really respect bed side nursing because believe me it takes a special person.
This notion that all nurses want to be doctors is incorrect. We need good nurse at the bed side and higher educated ones too, and the comment this person made is not only not ture but does not help the shortage.

NurseyK said:
It continues to be funny, though, I am a semi-regular poster on a Nursing webboard for quite a few years now...again not ONE congrats from a NURSE (same as on the job); actually on that board, I've been flat-out insulted ("don't think it's going to be any easier as a doctor," "you'll never truly be ONE of them")....so much for the 'nurturing' profession.

Well, I am happy you got what you wanted, CONGRATS :) I think some nurses may not say congrats because it kind of says that you don't want to be a nurse. I'm sure as you know it's not easy being a nurse because people always think that this was a second choice to a doctor for some reason, which is not the case for me. But this is not true because many people change professions all the time this does not mean the other profession was bad. Many people getting there BSN have had wonderful profession. I'm glad you will be doing what you want to , good luck!!

BSN said:
Lack of respect is one of the main reasons there is a nursing shortage.

From what I have seen around me, they do not have the capacity to train the nurses. There is a waiting list at the places. Maybe it is not so much the respect you are talking about and more of a lack of resources to train them.

mx_599 said:
From what I have seen around me, they do not have the capacity to train the nurses. There is a waiting list at the places. Maybe it is not so much the respect you are talking about and more of a lack of resources to train them.

Yes it is a cause and effect thing. Due to the lack of respect good students don't get into nuring thus don't go on to get Phd to teach which causes the shortage. I went to a four year university that will not hire a proffesor which has less than an phd and most good univeristies will not.

I appreciate the animated discussion on my thread, but....

can we take the doctor's vs nurse's thing out of here? Please?

I have never gotten into this discussion, nor do I want to now and coming back to this thread to see semi-arguements is not why I started it. We all have our Dr vs RN thoughts, and believe me, I'm in the middle of medicine right now and if I get another bullsh*t stat page at 0200 for a diet change or a tylenol order that I ALREADY WROTE when I admitted the pt 2 days ago....

If you take a look at the quotes that have been sited, THEY ARE OVER 4 YEARS OLD! And, at the time, you can see that I tried to shut them down as quickly and politely as I could.

I just ask the same again.....

Thanks ---

Kat

NurseyK said:
I appreciate the animated discussion on my thread, but....

can we take the doctor's vs nurse's thing out of here? Please?

I have never gotten into this discussion, nor do I want to now and coming back to this thread to see semi-arguements is not why I started it. We all have our Dr vs RN thoughts, and believe me, I'm in the middle of medicine right now and if I get another bullsh*t stat page at 0200 for a diet change or a tylenol order that I ALREADY WROTE when I admitted the pt 2 days ago....

If you take a look at the quotes that have been sited, THEY ARE OVER 4 YEARS OLD! And, at the time, you can see that I tried to shut them down as quickly and politely as I could.

I just ask the same again.....

Thanks ---

Kat

:thumbdown: I didn't say anything about Dr vs nurses....calm down. Who resurrected this disaster anyway?

Any of you other Nurses-to-Docs get any grief when approaching "short-timer" status at your jobs before school? and, after getting actually 'in' school...how to you feel your transition went/is going?...I'm interested to hear....

Hi I am interested in what you have said because I am a student nurse but I am going to apply to med school after I finish my undergrad work. I had not even thought about the reaction from my coworkers, or class mates. I work as a PCT at a local hospital, and my co-workers expect that I will continue into nursing after school(I have not told tyhem of my intentions yet). I really like them and I would be very upset if they did not support my goals. Anyway, I think I have some insight into why you are so mad and I wanted you to know that you are not alone. ;)

Thanks, Blueslady

Hi Kat!

I have followed your post for years and am finally posting something for the first time! I just want to say a sincere congratulations to you and for being courageous enough to follow your dreams. I know that must have been a huge decision for you in the beginning just to start med-school prereqs even, let alone make the jump out of a comfortable, decent paying job into the flames of med school. I applaud you.

As I've been following your post for years, I've also been trying to figure out where my special calling in medicine is. I would really like your thoughts on my options... I realize that ultimately we must make this decision for ourselves, but after reading every post on this journey of yours, any insight from you (or others reading) would be tremendously appreciated. This is a somewhat long ramble coming up though, so I appreciate if you do not have the time.

I am almost 29 and live with my boyfriend (who is in a MBA program for two years, just started) in Northern Cal, so I have a couple years to take prereqs that I may need before starting back to school myself once he graduates.

I am contemplating med school (DO), PA school (however no direct healthcare experience as of yet) and direct-entry masters programs to become a NP in three years (1 year of accelerated nursing to become a RN, and then two years of a Masters degree). I see the benefits and drawbacks of all three. Ultimately my personality is one that craves knowledge and ultimately, likes to be the one who knows the most (well, we're being honest here, right?) ;) ... so I wonder if being a NP would ultimately fulfill me. And one of the questions I've had for you all these years is, why did you choose med school over becoming a NP? Did you ever even consider it? Also, I know that you have made comments that were one of the "older" students in school... where do you think I would fit into the picture as a student entering, let's see... at I don't know, perhaps 32 (trying to figure out how long for me to get in - would need formal post-bad to compensate for low undergrad GPA)... :(

Also, I know that you are married and spent a lot of time away from your husband... is there any possible way to avoid that? I don't think I could keep moving him around... maybe once at most. I'm just not sure how that whole process works.

Finally, I've read posts recently on SDN where many doctors and current med students are saying that if given the choice, all debt erased that they would choose another path.... what do you think of that? How do you feel about your choice? You seem happy, but just checking and curious as to your thoughts about that...

Anyway, congrats again and take care! :D
Izzy

Izzy -

I'm in the middle of a bad call schedule now, so I need to make this short and to the point:

--- I did not have to go back for medschool pre-reqs. They were all completed in the 1980's with my degree in Exercise Science. I only went back right before medschool for one semester of Biochem...frankly b/c I needed a recent letter of recommendation.

--- I made a promise to someone a long time ago not to go to NP school. End of story.

--- If you have never been in healthcare before, then the first thing you have to do is start to shadow different professions. You may hate every minute of it. You may love it. You won't know what the difference between a PA, NP, nurse, or doc unless you shadow, shadow, shadow. One person who wrote me did just that after typing over and over that ALL they EVER wanted to do in life was be a doc...blah, blah....when all was said and done they are applying to dental school. I ran into one of the folks from nursing school not too long ago, and she said she hated every minute of nursing and is now a vet tech and loves it. There you go. You have to get out there and see first hand what's available. Enough said.

--- Would I do it over again? The middle of Internship is not the time to ask me that question.....I'm ready to go work at WalMart....

Kat

NurseyK said:
Izzy -

I'm in the middle of a bad call schedule now, so I need to make this short and to the point:

--- I did not have to go back for medschool pre-reqs. They were all completed in the 1980's with my degree in Exercise Science. I only went back right before medschool for one semester of Biochem...frankly b/c I needed a recent letter of recommendation.

--- I made a promise to someone a long time ago not to go to NP school. End of story.

--- If you have never been in healthcare before, then the first thing you have to do is start to shadow different professions. You may hate every minute of it. You may love it. You won't know what the difference between a PA, NP, nurse, or doc unless you shadow, shadow, shadow. One person who wrote me did just that after typing over and over that ALL they EVER wanted to do in life was be a doc...blah, blah....when all was said and done they are applying to dental school. I ran into one of the folks from nursing school not too long ago, and she said she hated every minute of nursing and is now a vet tech and loves it. There you go. You have to get out there and see first hand what's available. Enough said.

--- Would I do it over again? The middle of Internship is not the time to ask me that question.....I'm ready to go work at WalMart....

Kat

Thanks Kat for taking the time to post... I'm going to do what you said and shadow, shadow, shadow.... I've done a little bit of that, but really need to get out there and find a doc, PA, NP, and RN who will just let me follow them around for awhile. I'm always nervous to ask... how to ask, who to ask.... but I will make this a priority.

Good luck in internship!
Izzy :)

Hi, I'm new here. I'm currently a nurse and planning to apply to med school next year but I haven't told any of the hospital staff about my plans either. I work with some great nurses and some nurses who are out there to "eat their young". Anyway, "Congrats & Best wishes" to those who have made the transition to medicine. Physics and O chem have been thorns in my side!!

jujube said:
Hi, I'm new here. I'm currently a nurse and planning to apply to med school next year but I haven't told any of the hospital staff about my plans either. I work with some great nurses and some nurses who are out there to "eat their young". Anyway, "Congrats & Best wishes" to those who have made the transition to medicine. Physics and O chem have been thorns in my side!!

first year med student and a nurse for way to many years - you will look back on those days as easy and uneventful. It is not that med school is more difficult (some subjects are) it is the massive volume that will steal your soul....

good luck

oldManDO2009 said:
first year med student and a nurse for way to many years - you will look back on those days as easy and uneventful. It is not that med school is more difficult (some subjects are) it is the massive volume that will steal your soul....

good luck
Hi oldManDO2009 amd others!
Q for those of you who transitioned to med school from nursing and other allied health professions. Are you guys happy? I know it sounds pretty simplistic, and may be even stupid. I know there are many factors, pros and cons. But if you were honest with yourselves, and tried to answer it in "Yes" or "No" closed-ended format, which one is it for you? I'm going thru thes terrible cycles of ambivelence. I've tried med school in the Carib, had to drop it, but mainly not because it wasn't doible. It's being away from my family, and not being able to see my daughter grow, and many, many other things, which have nothing to do with the med school itself. I know it's hard enough when you're studying in the States. Even though I still have my acceptance to Carib school, I don't thing it's going to work out for me.With my background as an RN and an acupuncturist I'd be a lot happier going for D.O. I know at least two nurses on this thread who went D.O route (the OP and you). Was it worth it?
Thanks All :confused:

billydoc said:
Hi oldManDO2009 amd others!
Q for those of you who transitioned to med school from nursing and other allied health professions. Are you guys happy? I know it sounds pretty simplistic, and may be even stupid. I know there are many factors, pros and cons. But if you were honest with yourselves, and tried to answer it in "Yes" or "No" closed-ended format, which one is it for you? I'm going thru thes terrible cycles of ambivelence. I've tried med school in the Carib, had to drop it, but mainly not because it wasn't doible. It's being away from my family, and not being able to see my daughter grow, and many, many other things, which have nothing to do with the med school itself. I know it's hard enough when you're studying in the States. Even though I still have my acceptance to Carib school, I don't thing it's going to work out for me.With my background as an RN and an acupuncturist I'd be a lot happier going for D.O. I know at least two nurses on this thread who went D.O route (the OP and you). Was it worth it?
Thanks All :confused:
Hey ya-
I'm a nurse in my third year at a DO medical school. I still doubt whether my decision to pursue medicine was correct. As a travel nurse I had a great job, plenty of money and tons of time off. Med school has made me realize that I need to be busy. Too much time off means I wind up drinking too much, playing too much, gettin' too much luvin', seeing too many movies, going on too many great vacations, getting too strong/in shape, ....being too happy?
WHAT HAVE I DONE????!!!!

To be a little more serious, the first two years of school were like passing a massive kidney stone every day. Lectures, inexperienced/very young classmates, weekly exams, bizarre competition, the unmasking of personality disorders in classmates and myself. :cool: In short, it $ucked.
3rd year is light years better. My reasons for pursuing this dream have come into focus again. Medicine is a great pursuit. Always challenging, altruistic in intent, a way to make a decent living while helping others. I dig it.

Advice wise-you know the down sides. Look at your life in allied health. Can you live with it? Will you be fulfilled? Is doctorhood something you can do? You have already turned away from one shot at this path. Are you really ready to give it another stab?
COMs and the DO profession need dedicated future physicians. That starts with 100% dedication to your education and program.
Do some "what-if" exercises and make a decision then stick with it.
Ponder hard and good luck!!

I have exams Monday - i spent 12 hours studying and feel like I know less than when I started (thanks neuro-anatomy) I have 2 kids so I make time for them...I am hating the first year and have high hopes for the second year (pathophysiology). I go to school with a lot of great kids that have not gone over the deep end with psycho-competitiveness - in fact they will share their study guides and help fellow students. I still work as a nurse 2-3 times a month and that just adds to the energy draining schedule....but it is so doable and if you have been on the floor during a code and felt like you wanted to do more and knew you could then med school is for you. I worked with people that were perfectly happy doing what they did and I always wanted more - now I am paying for that desire :laugh:

Well, as soon as I was accepted into PA school much of the nursing staff turned their backs on me. I dont know why exactly, I just felt the cold vibrations. Maybe it was because I took a month off from the ER to go on interviews, but I can relate to your experience. Nurses can be kinda weird sometimes. Very hot and cold.

I agree with the above post. I'm currently doing a direct entry nursing program and when I mention this to other nurses on the floor (only when they ask me...I would not volunteer this info) they just look at me as though I'm not going to be real nurse (not enough clinical ...blah blah blah). The worst thing is that I am planning on applying to med school I think I'll keep that one to myself until the day comes. Some ppl are in the profession because it's their calling and I know other are there because they did not get into to med school and they choose nursing as back up. To each their own if they can live with their decision that is their choice and it's their life. My 2 cents
:)