Translated for Doctor while shadowing- Mention at interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suckatinterviews

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer I shadowed a physician at a primary care clinic and translated for many patients using my first language. I know it is against regulations to translate unless you are a licensed interpreter, however, the physician encouraged it and the patients really seemed to benefit. Would it be okay for me to discuss my experiences translating during my med school interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Not worth the risk, especially given that it won't add substantial increases to your chances if taken the right way

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This summer I shadowed a physician at a primary care clinic and translated for many patients using my first language. I know it is against regulations to translate unless you are a licensed interpreter, however, the physician encouraged it and the patients really seemed to benefit. Would it be okay for me to discuss my experiences translating during my med school interviews?
Yes, it's fine to discuss your experiences as a medical translator. I doubt you'd be asked about being " licensed" to do so.

many of advisees I have had did translations as volunteers in medical settings and none were licensed; I am unsure what regulations you speak of , though hospital policy may not want it. I would not consider this any risk at all, though it should have been spoken about in the experience

Guessing it's probably clinic specific (i.e. the practice was run through legal and given a 'no' for liability purposes, ex. mistranslations). At the hospital I volunteer at, we are no longer allowed to bear witness to any official patient document signings (e.g. medical power of attorney) after the legal department got wind of the practice.

Was it translation or interpretation? ;) they are very different