Trump just got murdered IMO.

Started by RustedFox
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's hard to imagine worse governance than the Bush/Obama years as far as entitlement expansion, debt, and increased regulation.

...

If he can repeal most of Obamacare (only the budget-related items can be repealed without 60 votes), get rid of Obama's executive orders, cancel the Iran treaty, and do something to reform our tax system it would be a success. I think this agenda is perfectly achievable in the 2 years he will have a Republican congress.

Whatever Trump doesn't need 60 votes for is obviously fair game. Anything unilaterally created by the executive branch may also be destroyed, and he has wide latitude in foreign policy.

I do not know if your deficit-reduction dreams will be realized by infrastructure stimulus and tax cuts, but, again, who knows what will ultimately be proposed – certainly neither anything he said nor put into words on his transition website can be reliably believed.
 
Whatever Trump doesn't need 60 votes for is obviously fair game. Anything unilaterally created by the executive branch may also be destroyed, and he has wide latitude in foreign policy.

I do not know if your deficit-reduction dreams will be realized by infrastructure stimulus and tax cuts, but, again, who knows what will ultimately be proposed – certainly neither anything he said nor put into words on his transition website can be reliably believed.


Most of the objectives I mentioned are doable without 60 votes. Certainly Obamacare can be gutted through reconciliation to get rid of the individual mandate, and most of the subsidies. The Iran treaty was passed without a vote from Congress, so it can go, as will most of the "carbon regulations" imposed by the Obama administration. I'm looking forward to Obamacare repeal, as my current laughable insurance options have deductibles from $3000-$6000, essentially meaning I don't get sick and go to the hospital.

As for taxes, I suspect that Republicans can come together with 8 Democrats to pass even a small amount of tax reform.

I don't think deficit reduction is a possibility. Until we can convince old people to accept radical change to Social Security and Medicare, it will be impossible to do anything.
 
I don't think deficit reduction is a possibility. Until we can convince old people to accept radical change to Social Security and Medicare, it will be impossible to do anything.

And this is why I despise the entitled baby-boomers. I have an idea which would be sure to cut the deficit, how about they apply for Medicare? They can write personal statements, get 3 letters of recommendations, and fill out a lengthy application for why they deserve admission to Medicare Benefits. I'm happy to sit on the admissions committee. I think it would be fun to read their personal statements!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I regret you seem to have missed the point about being reasonably skeptical about the sources you favor and taking a wider view that recognizes alternative viewpoints as valid.

I regret that as well. Maybe I should listen to NPR more right?
 
Except everything you wrote are dishonest strawmen:

1) Trump never said "all" Mexicans are rapists. He stated that criminals CAN cross the borders and we need to secure them to prevent this. He also said many Mexicans are good, hard working people. Nice attempt to distort his argument.

2) Trump never spoke about "banning all Muslims from the country". He stated he wants to BAN IMMIGRATION from the Middle East until we can get a better hold over the terror situation over there. Makes sense to any sane person.

3) Bill Clinton literally raped women, banged interns in the White House, etc while good old Hillary supported him. Funny how you liberals never seem to concern yourself with this "moral" issue, just about trump using the P word in private 12 years ago.

Liberalism 101


How everyone wishes Trump was smart enough to say the right thing the first time.

1) He repeatedly paint brushed Mexicans as rapists and criminals. Then, after getting backlash, he would correct his statements. Yes, he did later say nice things about Mexican people, but after he illustrated his true colors.

2) He did call to ban all muslims (it is on video). Then, after getting backlash, he corrected his statements to note that the ban would be from countries with terrorist cells within.

3) Don't say "literally" until it is a proven fact.

I hope this is was an informative Briefing.
 
Last edited:
Trump is the closest to a 3rd party candidate that we can get. It's hard to imagine worse governance than the Bush/Obama years as far as entitlement expansion, debt, and increased regulation. I won't even go into all the foreign wars that have expedited our bankruptcy.

If he can repeal most of Obamacare (only the budget-related items can be repealed without 60 votes), get rid of Obama's executive orders, cancel the Iran treaty, and do something to reform our tax system it would be a success. I think this agenda is perfectly achievable in the 2 years he will have a Republican congress.

I'm curious why you dislike the Iran deal? To me it seems like the Successful stop (albeit temporarily) the imminent threat of a nuclear Iran.

I'm not a fan of the "we could have gotten a better deal argument" because I've yet to see a compelling reason to think we would have. It's not like our diplomats showed up and took the first offer they made. No matter your political leanings I think think it's unrealistic to assume American diplomats aren't very determined to prevent a nuclear holocaust in the Middle East.

My take was that if we let Iran keep plugging away with their centerfuges (even in the face of massive sanctions) they could've gotten a bomb together in a few years (I don't have a source on this atm although it was widely reported on many news networks before and after the deal was underway). Once they have a bomb they have a seat at the table and our ability to control them will be markedly decreased.

I highly value your opinion and would love to hear your take on the issue.
 
When Trump takes office we may learn about the side deals. What most people don't understand is how easy it is to make a bomb out of U235 vs Pu239.
 
I'm curious why you dislike the Iran deal? To me it seems like the Successful stop (albeit temporarily) the imminent threat of a nuclear Iran.
.

I'm against making agreements with people for whom you can't verify their compliance. Evidence is already there that they are violating terms of agreement. Add to the fact that they held (and still hold) Americans for ransom, and are intimidating and threatening American ships. We should isolate and contain Iran. If evidence comes to light of any progress making nuclear weapons, those sites can be covertly taken out.
 
I don't agree with many of Trump's statements about issues that would be considered in the "morality" area of my radar. I do, however, think that from a 10,000 foot view our country as a whole will be more militarily sound and has a shot to be much better economically. I'm saying this in comparison to what it may be like if Hillary had won. In the grand scheme of things the "moral" issues of political correctness, bullying, welfare, and even healthcare mean nothing if the country can't stand to defend itself. I'd much rather know that we defeated ourselves from within and admit it was our own fault than let some other country write our ending for us because we didn't put up a fight. Either way, like it or not, he won the election, there's no turning back at this point so lets hope for the best. I said the same thing when Obama was elected even though he was not my choice. Just my 0.02. Carry on, and thank you to our armed forces.

Edit: Didn't mean to lump healthcare into "morality", just putting it in with the categories of things that don't matter if our country falls apart on a global scale
 
Last edited:
I don't agree with many of Trump's statements about issues that would be considered in the "morality" area of my radar. I do, however, think that from a 10,000 foot view our country as a whole will be more militarily sound and has a shot to be much better economically. I'm saying this in comparison to what it may be like if Hillary had won. In the grand scheme of things the "moral" issues of political correctness, bullying, welfare, and even healthcare mean nothing if the country can't stand to defend itself. I'd much rather know that we defeated ourselves from within and admit it was our own fault than let some other country write our ending for us because we didn't put up a fight. Either way, like it or not, he won the election, there's no turning back at this point so lets hope for the best. I said the same thing when Obama was elected even though he was not my choice. Just my 0.02. Carry on, and thank you to our armed forces.

Edit: Didn't mean to lump healthcare into "morality", just putting it in with the categories of things that don't matter if our country falls apart on a global scale

What on god's green earth are you talking about? That some outside country is going to destroy us?! Can't "put up a fight"? Against who? Man, you really have no clue what you're talking about.
 
I second that, totally agree with you, that sounded like the rambling of a mad man. When we destroy ourselves from within, that's when other nations will "write our ending" whatever that means. Just read some history text books and you'll see...
 
I'm curious why you dislike the Iran deal? To me it seems like the Successful stop (albeit temporarily) the imminent threat of a nuclear Iran.

Politicians have been calling Iran an 'imminent nuclear threat' since at least 2000, probably longer. I don't think anyone really knows if/when Iran will have nuclear weapons capabilities.

People are upset because it looks like a crap deal. It will be near impossible to enforce, with a country that can't really be trusted. It looks pretty one sided and makes America look weal. And countries like Israel, with the most at stake, vehemently opposed it. Its pretty easy to see why people dislike it.

Personally, I don't think it was ever really about stopping nuclear arms. I think it was more about opening up some degree of relations/influence with Iran and weakening Russia. For better or worse, I think the Obama administration saw our ongoing policy of Iran isolation as not working, and that if we completely shut out Iran, we weaken our influence in that region. Russia and China are already the largest arms supplier to Iran, and Russia and Iran relations/alliances were getting stronger (oil trade, military/arms deals, etc.). I'm not so sure I buy it, but I don't sit in the situation room nor do I have a crystal ball.

Lots of puzzle pieces in that region fighting for influence- Russia, Sunni dominated Middle East, Shia dominated Iran, Europe, China, US. Its not as simple as people make it sound. Trump just moved on from playing checkers with friends to playing chess with some real professionals. Hope he puts on his big boy pants and learns quickly.
 
Lots of puzzle pieces in that region fighting for influence- Russia, Sunni dominated Middle East, Shia dominated Iran, Europe, China, US. Its not as simple as people make it sound. Trump just moved on from playing checkers with friends to playing chess with some real professionals. Hope he puts on his big boy pants and learns quickly.

As far as I'm concerned Russia can have that whole crappy chessboard that is the Middle East. We don't need to be involved in sectarian violence, toppling dictators, or trying to impose American ideals on countries who hate us.
 
As far as I'm concerned Russia can have that whole crappy chessboard that is the Middle East. We don't need to be involved in sectarian violence, toppling dictators, or trying to impose American ideals on countries who hate us.

I couldn't agree more. That whole region is a god forsaken desert as far as I'm concerned.

Only problem is that I'm Jewish and obviously very pro Israel. If the other countries want to fight it out I could care less...but we need some degree is influence there to make sure we don't have 2 Holocausts within a 100 year period.
 
What on god's green earth are you talking about? That some outside country is going to destroy us?! Can't "put up a fight"? Against who? Man, you really have no clue what you're talking about.

I second that, totally agree with you, that sounded like the rambling of a mad man. When we destroy ourselves from within, that's when other nations will "write our ending" whatever that means. Just read some history text books and you'll see...

This isn't that complicated. Has nothing to do with history. I'll make it much more simple. None of the economic/social/political issues matter if our military doesn't regain the strength and world presence that I feel it should have. Here's a simple analogy that maybe will clear up what I was trying to say.

Would you rather wake up one day and be bankrupt because...
1.) You left you life savings out in the yard for anyone to come grab, while thinking that protecting it is wrong because "that would be insensitive to think that poorly of others"
2.) You made some poor financial decisions that you can look back and say "dang, well I guess it's nobody's fault but mine"

And tbh Welker I think you just saw it from a different angle cause I totally agree with what you said(at least after the first sentence lol).

Again though, this is just my two cents, which is a metaphor for "my opinion" in case you need help on that one as well.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As far as I'm concerned Russia can have that whole crappy chessboard that is the Middle East. We don't need to be involved in sectarian violence, toppling dictators, or trying to impose American ideals on countries who hate us.

Israel is Democratic, peaceful, and likes America. We should be close allies with them. Why the prior administration has been pro-palestinian and tried to negatively influence elections in Israel is unclear to me.
 
As far as I'm concerned Russia can have that whole crappy chessboard that is the Middle East. We don't need to be involved in sectarian violence, toppling dictators, or trying to impose American ideals on countries who hate us.
The crappy chessboard as you call it has over 75% of the world's oil, as well as the strategic grounds that connect trade between east asia and Europe. In addition, anyone with a clear understanding of the region comprehends the fact that toppling evil dictators and imposing American ideals are rather superficial narratives thrown out for the common American citizen to justify underlying economic reasons for intervention. Otherwise, countries such as Saudi Arabia and others wouldn't be allies of the U.S.
 
The crappy chessboard as you call it has over 75% of the world's oil, as well as the strategic grounds that connect trade between east asia and Europe. In addition, anyone with a clear understanding of the region comprehends the fact that toppling evil dictators and imposing American ideals are rather superficial narratives thrown out for the common American citizen to justify underlying economic reasons for intervention. Otherwise, countries such as Saudi Arabia and others wouldn't be allies of the U.S.

My understanding is that we have good relations with Saudi Arabia despite them being a horrendously repressive dictatorship. There is no talk of toppling them. I'm all for friendly relations and trade agreements. I just don't think we should be going to war with other countries over regime change. Interventions in Libya and Iraq were disasters, and we should have just tried to work with the existing dictators there.
 
The crappy chessboard as you call it has over 75% of the world's oil, as well as the strategic grounds that connect trade between east asia and Europe. In addition, anyone with a clear understanding of the region comprehends the fact that toppling evil dictators and imposing American ideals are rather superficial narratives thrown out for the common American citizen to justify underlying economic reasons for intervention. Otherwise, countries such as Saudi Arabia and others wouldn't be allies of the U.S.
Nah, we just found 20 billion barrels in West Texas. We good.