Truth About LMU SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhistleBrewer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are planning to apply to any 1 year Special Masters Programs, proceed with caution as I will be highlighting my experience with SMP at LMU-DCOM.

First of all, LMU Masters program is ONLY affiliated with DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine in that you’ll be taking 3 courses alongside with Osteopathic Medical Students I; Medical Gross Anatomy in the Fall (required), Medical Histology in the Fall (Optional if qualify in the Fall), and Medical Neuroanatomy (Optional if you pass MGA with an A or B. Spring). The bulk of your graduate level courses fall under Math & Sciences Department. Thus, if you’re looking to have a Medical School name on your Master’s Diploma, I advise you to look elsewhere.

In this review I will be covering the overall vibe of the program, mostly realistic personal observations as a student of the program.

0. 2017-2018 Issues

In the previous year, 2017-2018, had several problems most notably with the introduction of Systems Physiology (3 units). From what I heard, 2 AS and around 18 BP students were put into that class and only few students PASSED, with majority failing. The class was brand new and had structural issues with course content and the way exams questions were administered (it was shuffled with MGA so many students struggled with time).

Another issue was scheduling MS interviews. Apparently interviews began late March and April, thus seats for medical classes were mostly full. From speaking to MS -> OMS students, around 30 were accepted (half AS/BP) out of roughly 60ish students who earned the MS degree (Started with 110ish at the beginning of the term).

1. MS Anatomical Sciences > MS Biomedical Professions.

Every year, roughly 30 students are accepted into the AS while around 70 are accepted into BP. With that being said, AS students have higher advantage of being successfully accepted into DCOM for few reasons. Firstly, they’ll only be taking 14 units during the Fall with the bulk being MGA (7 units), Colloquial Principle of Life Sciences aka journal club (1 unit), Research Design & Analysis (3 units), and Radiology Imaging (3 units). For BP students, some will be taking 14 units while others maybe taking 17 units due to course deficiencies or higher course load. Oh by the way, there are lots of prerequisites for the BP program compared to AS!!

With anatomy relevant courses and light course load, AS students typically have more time to study MGA during block exams which typically occur once a month. Thirdly, there are 2 DCOM professors advising 30 AS students while only 1 general science professor for the 70 BP students. With such large volume of students in the BP, it is almost impossible to receive quality advising compared to the AS.

2. “This year is by far the worst year for medical students and graduate students” - Anonymous Faculty

After the 2nd block exam, roughly 10 - 20 grad students dropped MGA due to failing the first 2 exams. Apparently the advisor told them to drop it because it was near impossible to even achieve a C to pass. For those who dropped, they now cannot interview during the Spring despite earning 3.0 GPA or above because they simply did not complete MGA, which is a huge deciding factor for DCOM admission.

Before Thanksgiving, roughly 30 - 50 OMS Is and 22 OMS IIs dropped out of DCOM due to failing multiple courses. Usually medical schools offer remediation exams as 2nd chances and would be advocates for the students but apparently DCOM doesn’t really care about students who are struggling. Furthermore DCOM goes by letter grades, meaning competition among students exist secondary to causing stress & anxiety (Most MDs and more than half of DO schools go by Pass/Fail due to studies showing it benefits students well beings and negates competition).

As you are reading this, you may ask why so many students are failing. Well the next point may shed some light.

3. DCOM changed the curriculum this year for MGA

DCOM implemented a new policy for MGA this year in that you must pass both the written exam AND lab practical section with 70% or higher. Meaning if you get 60% on the written exam and 90% on the lab practical, you will still fail as the threshold 70% was not reached if that makes sense. Additionally, the new 40 question CUMULATIVE final was added for this year for the first time. Due to new policy implementation, I know few of my grad colleagues who got an F in MGA because they could not achieve 70% on either the written exam or the lab practical.

Weeks before the MGA final, med students started a petition for them to be graded separately from MS students for the cumulative final. They believed that it was unfair to be graded together as MS students had the higher possibility of setting the curve. Apparently the Dean of DCOM heard of this and informed the med students that they’ll grade the final separately. MS students did not know about this as there was no word from DCOM nor the Anatomy Department informing them which shows lack of communication and information.

4. Systems Physiology was a MESS

Yet again this year, the class was disorganized. The main issue was the disconnect between how the class was taught and how the questions were delivered. There was total of 3 different professors teaching each block with different exam styles for all 3 exams. The first exam was more like a typical graduate science class and the questions were delivered as such; no clinical questions. The second exam was probably the most straight forward, as it was clear the material was med school level and the questions were similar to BRS (question bank all medical schools and students use). The last exam was the most apparent as the course content was similar to medical students’, with the same exact lectures for a med school class, you typically practice with BRS and prepare for clinical questions. When it came to the exam, the questions were nothing like BRS and there were maybe 2 clinical questions at most. The main issue most students in this class can agree can is that why have 3 exams with drastically different approaches? It's not a matter of rotating professors, because we're used to changing professors per block in MGA. Because there is low total course points due to only 3 exams, failing 1 exam can affect your grade tremendously. Near the end of the semester, the highest grade in the class was around 82% with majority at or below 70%. Because many were failing, students took action to confront the Professor and the Dean. After weeks of talk, some sort of curve was instilled allowing the majority to pass with C.

5. Losing DCOM study room access

MS students are allowed to study in DCOM study rooms on the 4th floor of Math & Science Building for Fall semester ONLY. Since MS students won’t be taking MGA (DCOM sponsored course) in the Spring, they WILL lose access to the rooms. This has been ongoing since the inception of the SMP and the administration will not likely to change this anytime soon. BUT for this year, MS students lost access 1 week before the MGA final. This was really unfair and the administration did take notice but their only advisement was to seek open classrooms or go to the library where you must fight for study space against the undergrads.

6. Student IDs

The student IDs for MS students are the same as undergrads with no “grad” designation. Thus, only DCOM DO and PA students get special ID cards with full access to DCOM facilities with their respective designations.

7. Administration’s lack of support for mental health

Rather than comforting students and thoroughly seeking options to help students cope with failed exams or planning course of actions, the BP advisor simply refers students with needs to the Mental Health Counseling office for evaluation.

8. Failed recruitment for MS SMP 2018-2019

Apparently there was series of changes with recruitment coordinator position early in the year. As such, only total of 75 students started the program this year compared to previous year’s ~110.

9. Do NOT live on CAMPUS

The on-campus apartments; University Inn (UINN) and Lee & Mars is very low maintained and not worth the money. The interior was transitioned to new residents without proper cleaning. My apartment was very dusty, the kitchen had oils and spoiled remnants of food pieces everywhere, prior residents’ leftovers such as Tupperware, utensils, alcohol bottles, etc were present. The lights are very dim, the washer and dryer are 20+ years old, the chairs / couch has holes with stuffing coming out, water pressure is low with sometimes water being murky, cold showers during winter, A/C braking continuously, refrigerator 10+ years old with malfunctions, etc.

10. DCOM is going through Accreditation problems with the American Osteopathic Association per SDN forum;

LMU-DCOM heightened monitoring

Because of this reason, they may have restructured MGA and other courses as they FAILED 3 or more elements out of 67 standards outlined on the guidelines.

On a final note, this again is written by me personally with my observation, what I heard from other students, and what some current students would agree on. Some information may not be spot on accurate but this was written with the intention to forewarn those who are interested in the LMU SMP.

Hope this helps as there were nothing like this when I researched SDN when applying to LMU SMP.

Proceed with caution and good luck with your medical endeavors :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I don’t believe this is a fair representation of the program at all. Yes, issues exist (as they do everywhere), but this is extremely opinionated. You’ve also failed to include valuable information to intentionally paint a terrible picture of the program. If your purpose is to inform the people, then do so properly.

Firstly, it was made clear that you would not be obtaining a degree from the DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine at LMU. This information is included in the MS Catalog, which is posted on the website and a quick read through this document would have made this apparent. If you are upset that you will not be obtaining a degree with DCOM’s name on it, this can be chocked up to your own unpreparedness.

Secondly, let me address your bulleted complaints:

0. 2017-2018 Issues

You have no clue of what actually happened the year prior because you were not in attendance and assumingly have no experience in the program between 2017-2018. It is unfair to make accusations based solely on hearsay. The fact that you admit to knowing this information may be false in your closing statement is also a joke (i.e. “Some information may not be spot on accurate but…” Basically translating to, “this information may be false, but I’ll present it anyways”).

Also, according to your estimates, 50% of MS students would have been accepted into DCOM last year. Considering there is no official linkage and only a guaranteed interview, I feel like this is good news! The remaining 50% of the class, I can only assume, are either in attendance at another medical school, chose to pursue a Ph.D. or another career path, or simply did not make the grades to get accepted into medical school in general.

1. MS Anatomical Sciences > MS Biomedical Professions

Again, you mention “every year” as if you have been in attendance and know the facts when you do not.

I am currently in the Biomedical Professions (BP) program. It sounds as though you have made this determination based solely on the fact that Fall semester is much easier for AS students compared to some BP students. If easy is what you are seeking, then you are in for a rude awakening when/if you make it into medical school (considering most of the OMS-Is were taking 22-24 credits this semester). You also make it seem as though getting good grades while taking more credits as a BP student is impossible. I was enrolled in >14 credits and earned an A in all of my courses. It’s possible. In my opinion, a more rigorous course load provides what I truly came here for—to get prepared for medical school and bolster my academic record. Additionally, I have no problem receiving quality advising. She is very responsive and open to meeting if you reach out to her. I don’t believe she has been in good health this semester, so take this into consideration.

It is true, though, that the topics in imaging correlate with the topics being taught in MGA. Because of this, AS students may have a slight advantage on the radiology questions for the MGA exams. I can’t see this as making the entire AS program better than the BP program though. They both have pros and cons. If anything, I think an integration of the two programs could have a potential benefit.

2. “This year is by far the worst year for medical students and graduate students” - Anonymous Faculty

The “10 – 20” grad students that FAILED the first two exams were most likely advised to drop the class because they FAILED the first two exams and the chances that they would ace the final two exams AND the cumulative was very low. This makes sense. They aren’t interviewing during the spring because they didn’t earn the right to be there. We ALL knew that this program, like all SMPs, are a last chance shot and that we need to get the best grades possible to even have a chance at getting to the next level. Those students who were unable to hold up their end of the deal clearly do not value this opportunity enough to put the work in for it. Even if they didn’t drop the class and were to obtain a C in the course, they most likely wouldn’t be accepted into the program anyways due to the evidence on their transcript that they are unable to handle a rigorous medical course.

I have no pity for those who fail out of medical school because their grades are not up to par. This is medical school. They will be doctors at the end of this, and they knew what they were getting into. Obviously, if we are talking about 10-20 individuals who experienced some type of personal catastrophe throughout the semester that prevented them from performing well (which I know is the case for a couple of students) the narrative changes. But if they failed because they couldn’t handle the course load and/or failed to seek out the necessary resources for improvement, then I have no pity.

DCOM accepts ~220 students (225 for c/o 2020). If 10-15% are lost after 1st year because they can’t keep up, I can understand that. That’s not terrible in my opinion. Especially since there are A LOT of lazy students in the first-year class, which is partly DCOM’s fault for admitting them.

Also, I understand your plea for the Pass/Fail system, but I enjoy the competition that the letter grades bring to the table personally.

3. DCOM changed the curriculum this year for MGA

I see nothing wrong with the new policy. The lab practical consists of identifying structures on a human body—big deal. Once again, this is medical school. You need to understand clinical concepts and the relationships between the anatomical structures. The written exams are where you prove your knowledge of those clinical concepts and relationships. Since this is what is tested on the boards, this portion of the class should have more weight in whether or not you pass the test/class.

I understand your complaint of the lack of communication between administration and the student body, and I completely agree. Communication should definitely be fixed, and there really is no excuse.

4. Systems Physiology was a MESS

I did not take Systems Physiology this semester, so I must limit myself on what I say on this topic. You do fail to mention, though, that the course was supposed to be taught by a single professor (allegedly) but that he fell ill and had to take medical leave for the duration of the semester. To remedy this issue, administration (allegedly) pulled various faculty members to teach several different topics in the course. IF THIS IS TRUE, it makes sense as to why the course was such a mess. I’ve heard the same complaints from other students, yet they are more understanding since the teaching body was thrown together at the last minute. For prospective students who may be reading these posts, there has been talk of eliminating this course for the graduate students all together in the future.

5. Losing DCOM study room access

I do not agree with them completely eliminating the study room access for those students who do not have the ability to study at their off-campus home. However, you could hardly ever get a study room in the first place because so many students were using them. Also, you fail to mention there are several other study rooms in MANS on the other floors that are available to us (in addition to the library). Since I live off-campus and study at my house, I have not been affected by this.

6. Student IDs

Ridiculous complaint. Put a sticker on your ID if you want to feel special. We have access to everything that we need access to in MANS.

7. Administration’s lack of support for mental health

I don’t believe this is correct. This is the only school I’ve attended that seems to take mental health seriously. A matter of fact, they seem to actually advocate for it. Just because your advisor doesn’t seem to be prepared to handle your psychiatric needs does not mean that administration as a whole lacks support. I understand if you have needs that you want help with or want to talk about your feelings, but they instructed all students with those needs to notify the Mental Health Counseling office, when necessary, at the beginning of the semester during both of our mental health seminars. She was most likely following protocol at that point.

8. Failed recruitment for MS SMP 2018-2019

I don’t understand why this is an issue if you are here in the program? I also don’t understand why this is a complaint if you do not have insight into why the class size is smaller than last years from administration. This is irrelevant.

9. Do NOT live on CAMPUS

I don’t have this problem because I chose to live off campus, so I cannot speak on this.

10. DCOM is going through Accreditation problems with the American Osteopathic Association per SDN forum

Anyone who reads through the thread you have posted will note that “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring” is not as big of a deal as it sounds. Also, you are incorrect in your definition of what this means. Heightened monitoring means that FEWER THAN THREE standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will persist (please refer to the link below for the definition). With that being said, it is assumed (also in the thread you have posted) that this is due to having not enough OMM integration into other courses and not enough interprofessional learning. I can live with this.

https://health.okstate.edu/site-files/docs/coca-continuing-accreditation-standards-july-1-2017.pdf

On a final note, this is a completely biased post from someone who is clearly not enjoying their time at LMU. I have attempted to provide context and facts. This was written with the intention to debunk some of the statements made about the program and to provide a more honest approach to the evaluation of the LMU SMP for prospective students. I personally feel that this is a solid program that affords opportunities not offered in many other programs.

Reactions: 1 user
My views (not in depth, current MS student):

0. I agree with what you said here although I don’t know if those numbers are true (actually I doubt they are even accurate) … I’ve only heard they started with a bigger class. Not all interviews began that late. A number of students with a good fall gpa and mcat had their interview in Jan and Feb.

1. AS and BP schedules in the fall are similar except AS has the imaging class and BP replaces that with biochem, ethics, and/or system phys. There’s probably a couple AS students taking system phys. I don’t think the schedule is a problem because in spring, most AS students will end up taking a heavier course load to reach the required credits for graduation. The advising is definitely an issue just by seeing that the # of advisors and advisees is unbalanced. From talking with people here, no one really complains about BP vs AS schedule (except system phys). The complaints are mainly about the advisor/advisee ratio, and that 2 of the AS advisors are dcom professors. Thus, most people conclude AS has it better than BP. Hopefully they fix that in future classes.

2. 10-20 grad students dropping MGA seems right, probably closer to 10. I would also guess that there were some that didn’t drop, but still ended up with a C after the cumulative. I wasn’t aware that many OMSI and IIs dropped, but I don’t doubt it. I heard dcom students can repeat certain courses.

3. I agree with almost everything here. The avg MGA cumulative for MS students was around an 83, so I don’t think it really helped anyone lol. I don’t like how you used this point as a reason of why people may be failing…makes no sense. A good amount of people failed MGA last year too. More likely the student’s fault than the curriculum.

4. I feel sorry for people that took this class. This is where I could see a legit argument being made for the AS schedule being better than BP since most AS students didn’t take systems phys. Hopefully dcom admissions takes into account how much of a gpa killer this class was. From what I heard, most got Cs, and maybe like a couple got a B. Last year’s class had awful grades as well, but they received a better curve according to previous students.

5. Losing study room access was annoying. Apparently, it has to do with something where the IT department has set up our IDs to not work at the end of the semester. There are other places to study though.

6. True but I don’t care really.

7. I understand the BP advisor should help plan course of actions for failed exams, and I thought she already does that tbh. She’s not a mental health professional, so she’s right to refer people to the mental health counseling though for students seeking comfort and other options that she can’t really provide.

8. I was wondering why our class seemed smaller than last years. I know AS has 24 students, BP probably ~40, 3 pre-PA students, and some from last years class that finished up in December (at least 6 from what I know). Also, like 3-4 post bacc students as well. Again, I don’t mind the size of our class, and I think a lot of others don’t care either.

9. Pretty harsh criticism here lol. UINN is not this bad. Can guarantee many won’t have this experience. The fire alarm going off was a pain. Probably went off like 4 times this semester? I wouldn’t live on campus mainly because there are cheaper options.

10. I recently read about this too. It’s definitely concerning on a surface level, but it seems there are plans to fix it. It’s not as bad as it sounds after reading it more in depth.

OP definitely had a negative tone with her/his posting, so I hope the readers do more research and ‘think outside the box’ (ask more questions). I actually feel sorry for the readers because if I read this post as a prospective student, I would have such an incorrect feeling about this program. I probably forgot to cover a lot of things, and I don’t feel like going over all the good aspects either. Overall, I’m fine with the program so far (8/10)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an AS student last year and took systems physiology in the spring. There were definitely more than 3 AS students taking the course, and it was not nearly as difficult as this makes it out to be. But that was last year, with the faculty change this semester I’m sure it’s much more messy.

I have to admit I seemed biased on some aspects but the truth is truth. Furthermore, the information posted here has come to my attention from multiple different sources so some things maybe skewed or incorrect just like @ironicbond93 said. All I want out of this post is for the readers to be informed.

@NoMessEMS Your input is valuable as potential applicants can see 2 opposing views but I must say you were quite biased as well. I am surprised with your views and accusations of those who fail out as "LAZY". Furthermore, it seems like you speak highly of yourself in your achievements thus far at LMU. If you feel you are par with medical school level, then why are you in the SMP in the first place and not at medical school?
Regardless, I appreciate your input and much success to you this upcoming semester :)

@dochopeful1460 Haha I'm glad you're enjoying the program and thanks for your near neutral input.

If I'd had a choice to go back in time, I'd definitely tell my early self to not consider SMP to the slightest especially LMU and save $$$. Looking at traditional 2 year Masters or trying M.D. postbacc maybe more useful.

If any of you prospective students have questions to ask, go straight ahead and ask away!!

I was told by the adviser that regardless if a student drops MGA or not if they still have the 3.0 they will be interviewed. I am a currently in the BP program and I agree mostly with the OP said. Many of the teachers are ridiculous here and do not seem to care about the students, specifically the advanced biochem teacher for the fall. The program is unorganized and many of the staff members come off as rude through email communication.

I was told by the adviser that regardless if a student drops MGA or not if they still have the 3.0 they will be interviewed. I am a currently in the BP program and I agree mostly with the OP said. Many of the teachers are ridiculous here and do not seem to care about the students, specifically the advanced biochem teacher for the fall. The program is unorganized and many of the staff members come off as rude through email communication.
Actually if a student doesn't take or WD's from MGA, they will not be interviewed.

i'm in the master's program currently and thankfully, i ended up with a solid gpa in the fall (although my mcat score falls in the lower range of accepted dcom scores) just wondering if any previous MS students could share if/when they received their dcom interview invite and how long it took to be accepted/waitlisted/rejected?

thanks for your help!

i'm in the master's program currently and thankfully, i ended up with a solid gpa in the fall (although my mcat score falls in the lower range of accepted dcom scores) just wondering if any previous MS students could share if/when they received their dcom interview invite and how long it took to be accepted/waitlisted/rejected?

thanks for your help!
Most of the masters last year were interviewed in the spring anyway from January-April. And it usually takes like a week and a half to too weeks to hear back

thanks for your help!
whats considered the lower range of mcat scores?

rejected with a 4.0 in the master's program..so what's the point of having a guaranteed interview? anyone else who was a MS student with a solid gpa gotten rejected from LMU?
sorry to hear. I'm actually kind of surprised. when was your interview?

rejected with a 4.0 in the master's program..so what's the point of having a guaranteed interview? anyone else who was a MS student with a solid gpa gotten rejected from LMU?
I'm actually pretty surprised too. I'm really sorry about that.. That almost seems unfair. I have the same MS gpa and I am currently on the alternate/wait list. If you don't mind sharing, why do you personally think they rejected you?

Sounds to me like AS people get priority in acceptance should they get As in MGA. There's already few acceptances out for them. Almost all of the BP students are gonna be waitlisted. I am waitlisted.

Sounds to me like AS people get priority in acceptance should they get As in MGA. There's already few acceptances out for them. Almost all of the BP students are gonna be waitlisted. I am waitlisted.
i didn't want to believe the AS vs BP rumours, but i agree. it seems very clear that the AS students are preferred, but i hope you get in off the waitlist. one of the AS students told me to keep contacting DCOM and show interest so they keep you higher on the stack.

i didn't want to believe the AS vs BP rumours, but i agree. it seems very clear that the AS students are preferred, but i hope you get in off the waitlist. one of the AS students told me to keep contacting DCOM and show interest so they keep you higher on the stack.

Can you make it so I can pm you?

The LMU MS program is a hot mess... I was in the inaugural class, and it had a fair share of issues that only seem to have gotten worse honestly from what I've heard from people that I know that did the program after me. The school can definitely do a better job of educating both students and medical students. There were people who failed out in my class and went to other schools - succeeded, I went to another school (thank god...) and did extremely well because the administration, professors, other students genuinely cared about my success. I did not feel this at LMU at all, some people would disagree with me. But IMHO, people should avoid the program at all costs. The grad/med administration generally does not care about the students and is sketchy AF, and multiple students at the school agree with me. Again this is my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, for anyone applying Fox News propaganda is the type of television they pump through the televisions all over campus. Racist propaganda. At a place of higher education. Go ahead and come here if you’re an orange Caligula supporter. Steer clear if you’re not because looking at that crap while you’re trying to study is just an infuriating distraction. If I had seen it, I would’ve never come here. :beat:<how they feel about democrats with Lincoln’s name attached (of course picture this as a donkey).