Trying to decide if I should retake the DAT or not...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomtomtom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have lurked on SDN for months and I know I'm like the one millionth person posting one of these but I could use some advice on this.

PA: 20
QR: 17
RC: 22
BIO: 18
GC: 22
OC: 23
TS: 21
AA: 20

oGPA: 3.5, sGPA: 3.5
(3.8 oGPA last 64 credit hours)

I feel like I have some pretty vanilla stats at this point and I want to be competitive this application cycle. I don't feel like anything about these stats really stands out or sets me apart. I'm considering taking the DAT again and focusing more on the QR and BIO sections... hopefully beefing up those scores a bit and scoring higher on the AA. The only problem is I work night shift full time and spending ANOTHER month studying while working nights full time makes me want to throw up. Fo real. I just threw up a little.

Anyway, thanks in advance. All input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You may be able to get in with those stats. If I were you, I'd retake it for the peace of mind a higher score provides.

Pretty much vanilla ice cream stats. You have two options:

1. Apply to more expensive, private schools with a decent chance of getting accepted to at least one school.

2. Re-take the DAT and aim for 22+ AA so that you can apply to fewer schools with more schools to choose from.

Members don't see this ad :)
20/21? What are you complaining about. You're at the average for most of the schools in the country. Don't retake and apply, good luck!

Pretty much vanilla ice cream stats. You have two options:

1. Apply to more expensive, private schools with a decent chance of getting accepted to at least one school.

2. Re-take the DAT and aim for 22+ AA so that you can apply to fewer schools with more schools to choose from.

The latter option is honestly what sounds more appealing. I really don't want to pay out the wahzoo for a DDS. My state has only one public dental school and that is the one I'm aiming for.

The latter option is honestly what sounds more appealing. I really don't want to pay out the wahzoo for a DDS. My state has only one public dental school and that is the one I'm aiming for.
If you want to improve your score to a 22+ you're probably going to have to drop that night shift.

Reactions: 1 user
20/21? What are you complaining about. You're at the average for most of the schools in the country. Don't retake and apply, good luck!

So many mixed replies! Haha. I feel as though I have some pretty good extra circulars that can carry me a bit too but idk... 18 on bio really made me sad. Especially since I graduated with a Bio degree in undergrad lol