TSU Fall 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've attended in TSU for two semesters. The labs are so poor. Many people use a set of equipments. And no enough equipments are good to use. Their pharmacy school doesn't have enough faculties. In general, the state doesn't support it well. We often joked it seems to go back to African in TSU. :thumbdown:

Obviously TSU has low standards in their English department.

By the way, can we please stop using initials in the topic? Nothing makes me more angry than seeing a topic "U of T class of 2014" and it takes 10 pages of posts of finally figure out what the T stands for. Toronto, Texas, Tennessee, Toledo, Tallahassee, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean this one. If you were a pharmacist, you will have to deal with lots of ethnic minorities patients. Even in the pharmacy school, there are many instructors who came from foreign countries. So you'd better get used to it.

I have no problem with different dialects or heavy accents, it's grammar that makes my head hurt. And that is what you are lacking. Anyways..back on topic please.

AS A PHARMACIST, you'll work with people of different cultures and trust me you will encounter various accents. Not only from your "fellow colleagues" So you have to be willing to make an EFFORT to understand the way people talk rather than criticize because that won't change a thing!

...just sayin.!

I've worked in a retail pharmacy for over a year now, as I'm sure you have done at least that, and I have encountered people who don't just have accents -- but don't speak two words of English. This is... partially acceptable. Firstly, I don't expect a recent immigrant to speak fluent english. I would, however, expect them to speak at least a few words.. it's like they don't even try. This wouldn't get on my nerves as much as a PROFESSIONAL PHARMACIST who went to SCHOOL in the UNITED STATES where he/she were taught in English and where 80-90% of the entire population claims to speak it, can be hardly understood. Or perhaps immigrants who came to the US over 30 years ago... and still have this Mexican accent. That, to me, is obsurd because it shows an intentional effort to resist cultural assimilation -- I don't mean we all should be identitcal beings -- but at least try to adjust so you can be understood? Why should I make an effort to understand what they are saying when they don't make an effort to help me do it? Help me.. help you. I knew my small post on this topic would be turned into some stupid argument.. it's useless. Anyways -- do not call my pharmacy and speak to me with an accent I can't understand, I won't have time to decipher what dialect your speaking from. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't judge people.. I have seen a lot of American born people, who went to high school here and cant even pass the English language on the THEA, here in Texas..... do you know many doctors cant speak good English ?

TSU favors minority students and most of this students are very smart and will make fine pharmacist...
I know 2 people will graduated from TSU and they are very smart. they did their residency and all that. One works at medical city and the other at parkland hospital.

Enough of this guys. Can we just get back on topic? Please post when anyone hears anything from TSU please! Good luck to everyone!!

Don't judge people.. I have seen a lot of American born people, who went to high school here and cant even pass the English language on the THEA, here in Texas..... do you know many doctors cant speak good English ?
Actually, no I do not know many doctors that cannot speak English. I know a lot that have English has their second language, but they can speak it damn well enough. The majority of your post here isn't even written correctly, and I'm not even considering punctuation.

TSU favors minority students and most of this students are very smart and will make fine pharmacist...
I know 2 people will graduated from TSU and they are very smart. they did their residency and all that. One works at medical city and the other at parkland hospital.

My brother graduated from TSU COP, what's your point?

Anyways, sorry pfizer -- that's my last rant. I bet we hear something in mid-April... =(

I heard peole who interviewed today said this week is gonna be the last interviewing week. Did you guys hear something about it?

I havn't heard anything. Hopefully this is the last week for interviews! I wish they had rolling admissions.....

I'd say it would be kind of odd that this would be the last week of interviews. UH started way before TSU and they are STILL interviewing people throughout april.

But I could be wrong. They never really tell us much about what's going on when we ask..

my interview was so bad, did know how much the interview cover ?

Actually, no I do not know many doctors that cannot speak English. I know a lot that have English has their second language, but they can speak it damn well enough. The majority of your post here isn't even written correctly, and I'm not even considering punctuation.

My brother graduated from TSU COP, what's your point?

Anyways, sorry pfizer -- that's my last rant. I bet we hear something in mid-April... =(

So ? I hope you get in to TSU anyway. If my post is not written correctly. why don't you correct it...........
Anyone in Texas knows TSU favors Minority and their own students with low stats thats why their board results is bad, but i think they are changing it now.

Ask your brother about the TSU COP and post what he says and stop being $$%%^

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview was rescheduled the morning that I was supposed to go in for an interview because of a scheduling conflict on their part. Additionally the interview coordinator kept asking me if I still even wanted an interview. Then she rescheduled for me for a week later on a day i was scheduled to work.
She said that I could not rescheduled and this was the only interview time open. It seemed like she offered me one and changed her mind. I am not sure if a school this disorganized as to change my interview to a week later the day I was supposed to interview is one I want to go to. :confused:

My interview was rescheduled the morning that I was supposed to go in for an interview because of a scheduling conflict on their part. Additionally the interview coordinator kept asking me if I still even wanted an interview. Then she rescheduled for me for a week later on a day i was scheduled to work.
She said that I could not rescheduled and this was the only interview time open. It seemed like she offered me one and changed her mind. I am not sure if a school this disorganized as to change my interview to a week later the day I was supposed to interview is one I want to go to. :confused:

Sorry to hear that. So did you end up ever going to the rescheduled date? Well..at least you are accepted to the other schools already! :soexcited:

Has anyone heard anything about acceptance/rejections letter? I hate not knowing what's going on...

I still haven't heard of anything.
I tried to call the school and see if they received my transcripts, (I sent it in before the deadline) but nobody
even bothered to help me, they just told me to email ms davis. All they said was, it's already past the deadline. I just need to make sure my application is complete.
Do anyone have experience like this?
I already called and emailed Ms. Davis twice, and never heard of a live response. I guess there is not much I could do now.

I still haven't heard of anything.
I tried to call the school and see if they received my transcripts, (I sent it in before the deadline) but nobody
even bothered to help me, they just told me to email ms davis. All they said was, it's already past the deadline. I just need to make sure my application is complete.
Do anyone have experience like this?
I already called and emailed Ms. Davis twice, and never heard of a live response. I guess there is not much I could do now.

Maybe they have you transcripts, but just havn't updated the info on the website....
I had the exact same problem you have. I mailed in one of my letters of reccomendation in december, and it didn't show up as completed until after the application deadline. i was worried because i thought they hadn't recieved it. i emailed Ms davis a gazzillion times, but no reply! I tried calling but it kept on going to her voicemail, It was one blessed day when i finally got to her on the phone and all she told me was they had alot of documents comming in and were still sorting things out. This was late February i think. I explained to her that I mailed in the letter about two months ago, and all she said she'll look into it and get back to me [she never did].......but after all the hassle, i got an interview invite.
Compared to other pharmacy schools, TSU seems to be very disorganised.
I hope i hear from them sometime soon tho...:xf:

Wow..all of this negative feedback on Texas Southern University...but yet still awaiting an interview? hmmmm... If it is such an awful place to earn a PharmD, then why even bother applying? Could it be for location?...noooo because U of H is across the street...Could it be for diversity?..noooo because some of you have an issue with people of "different" dialects. Well I guess that brings us down to one issue...COST! By far it is the most economical University. If TSU is too ethnic, too unorganized or too whatever for anyone, please do those who actually applied for a valid reason a favor and revoke your application for admission!:slap:

Sorry to hear that. So did you end up ever going to the rescheduled date? Well..at least you are accepted to the other schools already! :soexcited:

Yes I did attend my new interview date. I was hoping to see TSU in a better light after the interview. Lets just say I was not impressed. One error I can forgive but the interviewers seemed unable to read my application. They asked extremely off base questions in comparison to other interviews I have gone on.

To the other poster Tech, A&M, and UT are similarly priced. A few thousand will not make a difference in the long run when it comes to the quality of your education.

It's an open file interview. I'm not sure about Tech, but A&M's interview was closed file. Therefore, TSU interviewers have opportunities to avoid questions about whether or not you've had pharmacy experience or your educational background because it's already on your application. I felt TSU's questions were oriented to see how you respond under pressure and to discover your personality. It was pretty relaxed for me and the same was said from other interviewers who were there that day.

The location is great because of opportunities of the medical center, and their board passage rates were damn good last year. The cost of the school is pretty much irrelevant considering its relatively close to other schools.

Has anyone heard anything regarding offers for admission?? It's getting late in the game!

It is late in the game. I still havn't heard anything. I need to know what I am going to be doing this coming summer and fall

It is late in the game. I still havn't heard anything. I need to know what I am going to be doing this coming summer and fall

I agree...I really want to know but I do not want to call and ask...I don't want to seem pushy...has anyone else spoke to someone regarding acceptance/rejection letters?

If I haven't heard anything by Wednesday, I'm going to ask Dr. Milton or Mrs. Davis what's going on, and hopefully I won't get yelled at!

I agree...I really want to know but I do not want to call and ask...I don't want to seem pushy...has anyone else spoke to someone regarding acceptance/rejection letters?

If you don't mind, what date did you interviewed?

If I haven't heard anything by Wednesday, I'm going to ask Dr. Milton or Mrs. Davis what's going on, and hopefully I won't get yelled at!

FYI I had a friend call for me and ask the status of acceptance/rejection letters and whoever answered said that Ms. Davis is the one who knows that information and that she will not be in until next week.

I'm thinking in late April or early May we will know of our status. Talked to a few friends who are P1's this year and they said that's the time in which they were notified last year.

FYI I had a friend call for me and ask the status of acceptance/rejection letters and whoever answered said that Ms. Davis is the one who knows that information and that she will not be in until next week.

I guarantee you Milton knows... Mrs. Davis isn't the only one running the show! I guess we'll see.. May is way too late for me to know.

This is ridiculous or maybe I'm wrong:confused: but I tried searching everywhere on TSU website but I can't find a list of all the prerequisites they want for their school. I need to know if I have to take both the physics and anatomy (including labs)?

Can someone post the link to the prerequisite sheet for their school? I know TSU requres a couple of extra courses than most other pharmacy schools.

You only need physics 1 (doesn't need to be Calculus based) I took basic physics at UH and they accepted it (you need the lab as well). A and P 1 and 2 are required with the labs.

You only need physics 1 (doesn't need to be Calculus based) I took basic physics at UH and they accepted it (you need the lab as well). A and P 1 and 2 are required with the labs.

Thanks. So its PHYS 1301 for UH. I heard physics is hard at UH (I guess it's hard anywhere you take it:scared:) But I may have to take the calculus based physics because Feik School of Pharmacy requires the calculus based one....which sucks because all the other schools like TSU and Texas Tech are fine with with non-calc based physics.

Yeah its phys 1301 at UH....and yes physics at UH is hard. Even the labs are rediculous....If its possible for you, I recommend taking it at a CC.

I interviewed March 25...why?

I was just wondering how long it will take to hear a word from the school, because I did interview on the 6th April. I am not sure, but I think we will hear from them very soon. All my plans are on hold right now till I know what is going on and its so stressful. I wish you luck.

I was just wondering how long it will take to hear a word from the school, because I did interview on the 6th April. I am not sure, but I think we will hear from them very soon. All my plans are on hold right now till I know what is going on and its so stressful. I wish you luck.

I know it hasn't even been a month since my interview but I am very anxious/worried/scared. Did they mention a time frame of acceptance letters at your interview?

I interviewed on Feb 18th and I think they said it would be around 4 weeks...obviously that isn't the case. So, I don't know what going on.

I know it hasn't even been a month since my interview but I am very anxious/worried/scared. Did they mention a time frame of acceptance letters at your interview?

I think they said between three to five weeks. The wait is too long. Do you know if they do rolling admissions?

nah, I don't believe they do rolling admissions. I have a super strong feeling we'll be getting letters next week. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Still only junk mail in my mailbox...I was excited for a split second today because there was a big envelope in there....it turned out to be only useless coupons...:mad:

Still only junk mail in my mailbox...I was excited for a split second today because there was a big envelope in there....it turned out to be only useless coupons...:mad:

UUGGGHHH This sux...

no, small white envelopes with our names and addresses on them via white labels. the COP letter head in the top left corner. 3-4 pages of info inside... late this week or early next, depending on where you live? this is how i visualized it

no, small white envelopes with our names and addresses on them via white labels. the COP letter head in the top left corner. 3-4 pages of info inside... late this week or early next, depending on where you live? this is how i visualized it

I hope you are right :)

I really want to get into TSU:xf::luck::xf::luck: My interview went smoothly and that's what worries me...others who had interviews that day had horrible experiences with the exception of two of them who said their interviews went ok.

Did anyone have a similar experience? If so, what do you think will be the outcome?

I was very nervous in my interview (it was the first one I had). So, there is a good possibility I will be denied...but I'm trying to keep hope alive. I felt like everyone else had easier questions than I did...and I was a little upset when others told me how great they thought there interview was...I don't know, only time will tell....:scared:

mine went smooth.. I was asked to spell Potato, and Mississippi. odd.. and I spelled it Potatoe, which is wrong... haha, that's what pressure can do to you. I had TWO interviewers.. how many did you guys have?

mine went smooth.. I was asked to spell Potato, and Mississippi. odd.. and I spelled it Potatoe, which is wrong... haha, that's what pressure can do to you. I had TWO interviewers.. how many did you guys have?

I had 3 interviewers. The first question I was asked were the Miranda rights.

I had 4 interviewers.. and two P4 students in my room. They asked me how I prepared myself for pharmacy school, why TSU and a lot of questions about my job as a tech. They asked me how I would confront my pharmacist if they were not doing their job correctly. It seems odd that people were asked spelling questions and Miranda rights...I don't really see the point...it just seems odd to me....:confused: