This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tutorthepeople

Customized tutoring and test prep
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ashley_1.png

In the third episode of TTP IS, we’re talking with Ashley, an MS1. Ashley is one of our featured tutors and was also a former MCAT student of ours, so she has a special place in our heart.

TTP: Good afternoon, Ashley! Thank you for participating in our TTP IS! This series is a unique opportunity for SDN pre-meds to read about people in the medical field such as yourself, and gain insight on what worked for you when you were once a pre-med. Please, tell us all about yourself. What did you study in undergrad, and where? Did you always want to become a doctor? Did you play pretend as a doctor as a child?

Ashley: In undergrad, I majored in Biology and Philosophy and minored in Psychology at Rutgers. I didn’t always want to be a doctor- it was something I discovered once I got to college. I was always interested more in either a writing or research career.

TTP: Interesting. What was your undergraduate experience like? Did you become very involved in any school activities or groups? Please tell us about your extracurriculars, what helped supplement your breadth of knowledge (and your resume), and if anyone particular experience was especially meaningful.

Ashley: In undergrad, I focused on things that I enjoyed doing and didn’t care much about my resume. This meant I did a lot of research, wrote for my school newspaper and was involved as a domestic violence victims advocate. The latter experience was most influential in my decision to become a physician.

TTP: Fascinating. You must have gained so much insight during your work with domestic violence victims. Now let’s talk about your specific pre-med experience: studying for the MCAT and the process of applying to medical school. Was anything particularly troublesome for you? Did you grow grey hairs when studying for the MCAT?

Ashley
: It was definitely stressful but doable. The most difficult part of studying for me was balancing MCAT with my workload. I was taking a lot of courses the semester before I took my exam and was also conducting independent research. Ultimately what proved most useful was fitting in MCAT whenever I had free time- during my lunch, an hour before or in between classes, and really taking advantage of my weekends and winter break.

TTP: It is indeed smart to use any free time to study! Do you have any tips for future med students, or current medical students, on how to balance their academic obligations with living a healthy life? How do you manage?

Ashley: In medical school, it’s important to do things other than school or school-related activities since there is so much information you could really always study. Whatever hobbies you have before school starts definitely make an effort to do them once you start.

TTP: That is wise advice. Are you currently working or researching in addition to being a student? Or just a student for now?

Ashley: Just a student for now!

TTP: Do you have any summer plans for the upcoming year?

Ashley: I will probably be doing neuroscience research.

TTP: What an edifying summer experience. Do you have any future plans to study or practice abroad?

Ashley: Haven’t decided

TTP: Let’s end on an inspiring note. Have any other tips that you would offer pre-meds?

Ashley: Just be yourself. It’s a cliché because it’s true. Doing things you’re interested in or passionate about makes the entire application and interview process easier since it’s authentic and you don’t have to try so hard.

Members don't see this ad.

@tutorthepeople Do you want feedback or are you seeing sufficient return to not care.

Ashley's undergraduate school is seemingly superfluous. Rutgers could be conflated to Vasser or Notre Dame and it would not affect the explanation of her undergraduate experience. Despite this, Rutgers is ideally situated by Robert Wood Johnson where premedical experience could be speculatively obtained. Did this proximity assist her in gaining preclinical experience?

Are there nuances with attending a state school that would have retrospectively been better handled by a smaller classroom setting provided at a private setting perhaps? Why did she decide to double major and how did she attack the application process?

Ashley's application shows that she has work experience with dealing with tissue culture. Did she take a gap year or two as an MCAT tutor in order to assemble her application together and how did she view her gap year? How did she contextualize it in the application process? Did it come up during her medical school interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)