***tucom-mi Class Of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nerdgrrl said:
Just got my, "thanks for your deposit, don't forget you need to send us another $1000 by may" letter! Also included in that latter, was information about the listserv, etc. and it said that we would be receiving information about orientation, academic calendar, physical exam and immunization requirements, etc in late april, early may. I'm irritated by this. They must realize that people will be travelling and such. Is there any reason they can't give us that information with a little more time? I think I'll give the school a call next week and maybe get some general guidelines.

anyway, just venting.

I'm with you, I am going to be gone april till the first of july. I wanted to try and get everything lined up as soon as possible. O well, I'm sure they will let us work something out.

Members don't see this ad.

How long after you sent your deposit did you get the letter. I did my deposit over the phone and I am worried... I haven't seen it go through my account yet. I know I should not worry - they said everything was all set, but what if??? As for the knowing more... I completely agree. I am so excited and just want to know more. I check this forum 10x a day just to find out more about our class=)

SotaBGirl said:
How long after you sent your deposit did you get the letter. I did my deposit over the phone and I am worried... I haven't seen it go through my account yet. I know I should not worry - they said everything was all set, but what if??? As for the knowing more... I completely agree. I am so excited and just want to know more. I check this forum 10x a day just to find out more about our class=)

My check still hasn't cleared either (sure does make my checking account look pretty while it's still sitting there though!). I overnighted it to them a little over a week ago, they should have gotten it Friday 12/30, got the letter Saturday 1/7. So, just a few days, I guess. I'd say drop Dr. Haight an email. He seems to be happy to help with that kind of thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, grats on getting in to TUCOM, I am in the process of purchasing a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom condo in Vallejo. It is in a pretty good area and it is about 4.17 miles from school. I will be looking for two roomates. I am from the Bay Area and checked the place out, it is very nice, there are no bars on the windows or anything and I checked the crime rate out, it is very low. The place is also 2 level and there is also nice brick patio. Please contact me if you are interested.

In terms of roomates I am looking for people who are clean, as in I won't have to be doing maid service instead of cramming :eek: , other than that just hit me up and we can discuss the details.

Later,

Matt

Hi guys! I know a couple of you mentioned contacting Dr. Haight about getting information before April/May. I was wondering if anyone actually e-mailed him and what his response was. I didn't want to bug him if people had already asked him about it. Thanks!

Ok fellow classmates... we are falling down the list here! I have a story...

This is ridiculous, but last night I finally packed up all of my holiday decorations (I know... its almost the middle of Jan) and I thought - the next time I see all this - I will be in CA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just thought I would share! Have a good day!

Hey all---

I feel a little like this thread has stalled, so I thought I'd juice it up a bit. Can you believe it's been over 40 days already since we started this? How fast are the next 7 months going to fly by? It's scary, in a way.
Anyway, I thought everyone could answer some "Getting to know you" questions! I'll get the ball rolling.

1)What was your favorite undergraduate class or classes?

As sacreligious as it sounds, Organic Chemistry I and II were among my favorite classes in undergrad. If they had offered a bunch of advanced Organic classes (and if I had had the time) I would have taken them all. I just seemed to click with it, unlike, say, Physics. Bleh. I also liked my composition classes, because I love to write.

2)What was your undergraduate major?

Spanish.

3)What made you choose TUCOM over other schools?

The location, great weather, intimate-feeling campus, great match lists, and newness of the campus. Also, I think that you can tell a lot about a school by their admissions office. As many of you will agree, not all admissions offices are created equal, and Dr. Haight was exceptional.

4)What are you most excited about for the upcoming year as a first year medical student?

I'm excited for pretty much everything. I don't relish the thought of suddenly not being able to see patients, but from what I gathered, there are opportunities for extracurricular patient contact, like in clinic situations(like the one that the university owns). I was a nurse aide for over two years, and am currently a phlebotomist at the trauma center, where I have been working the past almost three years. Before all that, I was a volunteer in an ER for two years. The thought of not seeing a patient for two contiguous years makes me cringe.

5)What are you most nervous about?
I tend to be pretty insecure academically, even though I always do fine. Medical school seems pretty daunting, but not impossible. The nice thing about Touro will be the nurturing environment and noncompetitive feel.

6)What specialty are you considering?

I was a nurse aide on a Telemetry unit, so I got to converse and watch cardiologists every day. The work is fascinating and dynamic. I'd also consider internal medicine, I think. Who knows until rotations!

7)What's your favorite band?

Dave Matthews Band. I grew up in Denver/Boulder, so there was no chance of not liking them. I also like the Gypsy Kings, Dido, Nickel Creek.

8)List some of your favorite movies

Thirteen Days, The American President, Batman Begins, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

ok... why did this post 10x???? sorry :confused:

ok... why did this post 10x???? sorry

ok... why did this post 10x???? sorry :confused:

Nice... I'll take the bait!

So undergrad was along time ago, but Medical Ethics still sticks out. I love getting into the details of a case and thinking about what I would do when no options really exist.

Biology with a post-bacc in Radiation Therapy

I like that there are other professional schools on campus, that at the interview I was able to show my passion for my patients and for medicine without being worried about sounding cliche',and of course... location. :love:

4)What are you most excited about for the upcoming year as a first year medical student?

I don't even know where to start! I didn't think it was possible, but I get more and more excited each day - at the hospital everyone says they are waiting for me to burst! I can't wait to be sitting there the first day, looking around at everyone and have it finally be happening - really happening. I get chills just thinking about it.

Mj I agree... I am worried about not seeing patients (my inspiration) for such a long time. I have read other posts where students say they don't have the time, but I am going to have to volunteer or something. I have been in the clinic now for about five years, not including my years as a nursing assistant while in undergrad... but I guess this is the way things go:confused:

Academically I am apprehensive about the block schedule... with a finals-type week around every corner. That and I know they say everything financial will be taken care of, but I have been getting a paycheck for a long time now... I am nervous. Actually this is going to be the first time since I was 14 I will not have a job!

Other things... forgetting how to start an IV, take an x-ray or worst case scenario - forgetting what it was like before I became a medical student.

I am thinking peds or peds/medicine right now. Currently my patient population includes all ages, so I am a little worried I will miss the relationship that I am able to develop with older patients. Everyone says they switch in school, so I will keep an open mind. Its funny... I can say which I am not interested in: surgery, derm, neuro or psych.

mj - I too was an NA on a telemetry unit... great patients!

New artists I have been listening to... James Blunt & KT Tunstall
As for bands... I love the local live music scene

Remember the Titans, Love Actually, Wedding Signer

******* one more question to add**********

9)List what you like to do outside of medicine (there has to be at least one thing)

Inline skate racing - currently most of my races are in the mid-west or along the east coast... but San Fran has a lot of opportunity, so I hope I can continue to skate a little.

9)What do you like to do outside of medicine?

Golf (which is good, since there's a golf course right on campus), reading, basketball, watching movies, writing, and more golf. :D

I feel like undergrad was a lifetime ago... but history of women in america, and feminist social ethics were among my favorites.

women's studies, minors in history and chemistry; also getting a masters in women's studies, concentration women and health

I went to college in the bay area and miss it desperately. I'm really looking forward to being a six hour drive from my family rather than a six hour flight. and, I really felt like Touro wanted me, rather than just tolerating me, which was the feeling I got from some other schools.

I'm most excited about finally being in med school. It's like this elusive thing I've been working toward for quite some time, and now it's really real.

Not seeing patients. I run a women's health clinic now, and I know all the patients, and know all their stories. I'm going to miss that, while I'm in school, as well as afterwards.

ob/gyn, and that's really the only one I'm considering! It's all I've studied for the last six years, and it's what all of my work experience has been in. It just makes sense to me!

My favorite musicians are Edie Carey and Holly Figueroa, favorite band is Carbon Leaf

When Harry Met Sally, Peter Pan, Legally Blonde... I like sappy romantic comedies and really bad teenager movies!

9)List what you like to do outside of medicine (there has to be at least one thing)

I knit. A lot. Some weekends, that's all I do! I'm also a big yoga person.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would have to be immunology and latin dance

Biology and Psych minor

Location, California, Match, Blocks

Like everyone, finally getting started!

How much I am going to be in debt and lack of time

Have no idea...

Dave, John Mayer, Jake Johnson, Sin Bandera

Shawshank Redemption, Dumb and Dumber, Garden State, everything Adam Sandler

Anything outdoors, Soccer, Surfing, Backpacking, Triathlons, Traveling!!!

Although most people will disagree with me, I really liked O-Chem. I hated General chem though! And my other favorite class was Macroeconomics.

Biology

I wanted to stay in California and since I spent 4 years in LA, I figured it was time to return to the Bay Area. Although the campus isn't the prettiest, I like the area and felt comfortable during the interview day.

I'm excited to just be starting (like most others). The road to getting into med school was so long, it's nice to actually be able to start.

Jus getting through everythin....the workload seems scary!

I'm considering ER since I've interned at the ER and really enjoyed it. I also got my EMT license a few months ago and really enjoyed the class. But it's just a thought and a lot can change once I go through clinicals.

I don't really have a favorite because I'll listen to pretty much everything...but I do really like Greenday.

The Ring, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Serendipity, Momento...bascially anything funny or scary!

Swimming, reading, watching TV, hanging out with my friends, ice skating, traveling and seeing new places!

So I officially receieved my letter of acceptance for Tucom-CA class of 2010 yesterday.
I'm so Excited.

I will be joining all you of you in AUgust, and I think its great that we have this class thread started.

So I will go ahead and contribute some information about myself.

I loved almost every biology course I took at UCI, but I would have to say that Anatomy was great.

Biology

I only applied to TUCOM and Western, and I primarily chose TUcom because of its location. I'm from Southern Cali and wanted to live up north for a bit, and my BF goes to Dental School in SF so I wanted to move up and be closer to him. Also i have haerd really good things about tucom and got a great feeling when I visted.

I'm just excited to start, as many of you have already said. I applied really last minute (in like nov) and I am just so happy to be able to start medical school in Aug. I cant wait to get to know other class members, and finally get one step closer to becoming a doctor.

Of course I am nervous about the workload and the crazy exam blocks. I am also a little nervous about finding a safe and ncie place to live...

Of course my mind will probably change through rotations, but as of right now I have interests in Surgery (i've loved my experiences shadowing in teh OR), but I also seem to be intersted in Dermatology and Oncology. As you can see these are all very diff. so I am pretty much open to various specialties (however, from what I have experienced thus far I dont think that I will be going into primary care...like fp, IM, or peds)...but again who knows. :)

I love all kinds of music...and dont really have a particularly fav. band.

My best friends wedding, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Wedding crashers, Wedding planner
I love Romantic Comedies

I love spending time with family and friends, i love dining out...shopping, doing outdoor activities, and cooking.

Congrats on your acceptance bnoosha!!!!

Hey guys...so ever since i received my acceptance i have been searching online for some places to live...just basically exploring my housing options.
i dont know if i can wait till may for the listserv to be set up...im so anxious :)

anyways...so i know that i defiently want to live off campus...and in a safe place...whether in vallejo..benecia...or surrounding cities...also i know that i want to have a roomate...i was thinking of a 2 bed 2bath (my own bath is would be nice too)...but im also open to getting a 3 bedroom and having two roomates...

what are all you thinking about doing???

So i found this really nice apartment complex...i guess it just opened and its in vallejo and seems pretty close to the school....its a beautiful community with lots of cool features....gated community...fitness center...washer/dryer in apartment...really nice ktichen w/ granit counter tops....but since its got lots of features...its kinda expensive...

if you guys are interested check it out....
http://www.broadstoneliving.com/SV/sterlingvillage.html

alright...well i would be curious to know what you guys are all considering in terms of housing.

:)

Hi Bnoosha,
I am from UCI too. thanks for the link on housing. Looks like a very nice place since I am in the process of searching.

Does anyone have any other links for good housing options near Vallejo?

-Billy

bnoosha said:
Hey guys...so ever since i received my acceptance i have been searching online for some places to live...just basically exploring my housing options.
i dont know if i can wait till may for the listserv to be set up...im so anxious :)

anyways...so i know that i defiently want to live off campus...and in a safe place...whether in vallejo..benecia...or surrounding cities...also i know that i want to have a roomate...i was thinking of a 2 bed 2bath (my own bath is would be nice too)...but im also open to getting a 3 bedroom and having two roomates...

So i found this really nice apartment complex...i guess it just opened and its in vallejo and seems pretty close to the school....its a beautiful community with lots of cool features....gated community...fitness center...washer/dryer in apartment...really nice ktichen w/ granit counter tops....but since its got lots of features...its kinda expensive...

alright...well i would be curious to know what you guys are all considering in terms of housing.

I'm hoping to live alone. My cat is adorable, but insane, and does best when it's just me and him. That and I like living alone! I'll probably end up in Vallejo or South, definitely not North. I used to live in Oakland, and I'd rather be closer to Oakland than Sacramento.

but... housing is expensive. might end up needing roommates.

I've been looking for apartments too mainly on rent.com and jus searchin google. Ideally I'd like to get a two bedroom and have another roommate. The apartments that you found are so nice bnoosha but wayyy too expensive. Most of the apartments I've been looking at are around $1200. I don't know how nice they are tho. I want to live close by and would like a relatively nice place but something affordable too. Post up links to more places if you guys find any :) .

bnoosha said:

Hello everyone! I recently just recieved my acceptance to TUCOM as well. I'm pretty stoked and can't wait to start and meet everyone. I also went to UCI and moving up north will be a change but i'm looking forward to it. I was lookin at the place Bnoosha found and its not too bad price wise if you get the 3 bedroom and split it between 3 people. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Hey Billy

Thats cool you went to uci...when did you graduate...or are you a curenty student.

im finishing up my fourth year right now

as you know...irvine is pretty nice...and defeintly diff. from vallejo...which is why i really liked the apartments at broadstone..

Alright well good luck with your search...and let me know if you find anything else thats nice around the school

billytoanle said:
Hi Bnoosha,
I am from UCI too. thanks for the link on housing. Looks like a very nice place since I am in the process of searching.

Does anyone have any other links for good housing options near Vallejo?

-Billy

hey scorpio

ya i know the apartments are pretty expensive for vallejo...i saw some others for around $1200 (for a 2 bed)...but i also dont know how nice they are...my biggest concern is safety..i hear there is a high incidence of burglaries and robberies so I really dont want to have to deal with that....

for me personally its a difference of $200 a month...(800 vs. 600)...but im gonna keep looking

let me know if you see anything that is nice and a bit more reasonable in price...

Take care :)

ScOrPiO2983 said:
I've been looking for apartments too mainly on rent.com and jus searchin google. Ideally I'd like to get a two bedroom and have another roommate. The apartments that you found are so nice bnoosha but wayyy too expensive. Most of the apartments I've been looking at are around $1200. I don't know how nice they are tho. I want to live close by and would like a relatively nice place but something affordable too. Post up links to more places if you guys find any :) .

Hey RNugg

Congrats on your acceptance...

Thats cool you went to UCI (i guess there are a few of us going to Touro in the fall)...when did you graduate...im currently finishing up my 4th year

your right...vallejo will defiently be a change from irvine...but i think its gonna be a great experience

I thought about doing the 3 bedroom thing as well (it would end up being cheaper....and it seems like teh community is really nice...) I would be intersested...but I defeintly want to have female roomates (I'm not sure if you are male or female...i cant judge by your screen name)

Alright well take care

RNugg said:
Hello everyone! I recently just recieved my acceptance to TUCOM as well. I'm pretty stoked and can't wait to start and meet everyone. I also went to UCI and moving up north will be a change but i'm looking forward to it. I was lookin at the place Bnoosha found and its not too bad price wise if you get the 3 bedroom and split it between 3 people. Let me know if anyone is interested.

bnoosha said:
Hey RNugg

Congrats on your acceptance...

Thats cool you went to UCI (i guess there are a few of us going to Touro in the fall)...when did you graduate...im currently finishing up my 4th year

your right...vallejo will defiently be a change from irvine...but i think its gonna be a great experience

I thought about doing the 3 bedroom thing as well (it would end up being cheaper....and it seems like teh community is really nice...) I would be intersested...but I defeintly want to have female roomates (I'm not sure if you are male or female...i cant judge by your screen name)

Alright well take care

Whattup Bnoosha,

I graduated last june. I think i actually interviewed on the same day as you on the 9th. The place looks real nice and i figure if you're gonna live somewhere you might as well like it so splitting the 3 bedroom is affordable. But i am a guy, i don't really mind living with females but i know you are looking for female roommates so i hope you find some cool ones! Best of luck and i'll see you in the fall.

Hey

Okay i think i remember you...congrats...im glad you got in...r u going here for sure

Ya i hope i find some cool roomates too

I acutally called the apt. complex today...just to find out more info..

and they said they have 180 units...and will reserve an apt. till may...but not till like july (which is what i would want)

they said they are filling up quickly...but who knows they could be just saying that

but its really great cuz each apt. also has a refrigerator, washer dryer and microwave...i guess you save on appliances

im gonna go visit my boyfriend in SF in the middle of february so im gonna go check out this place and see if it is all that it is cracked up to be

good luck finding roomates too (even though it is still really early)

RNugg said:
Whattup Bnoosha,

I graduated last june. I think i actually interviewed on the same day as you on the 9th. The place looks real nice and i figure if you're gonna live somewhere you might as well like it so splitting the 3 bedroom is affordable. But i am a guy, i don't really mind living with females but i know you are looking for female roommates so i hope you find some cool ones! Best of luck and i'll see you in the fall.

bnoosha said:
Hey

Okay i think i remember you...congrats...im glad you got in...r u going here for sure

Ya i hope i find some cool roomates too

I acutally called the apt. complex today...just to find out more info..

and they said they have 180 units...and will reserve an apt. till may...but not till like july (which is what i would want)

they said they are filling up quickly...but who knows they could be just saying that

but its really great cuz each apt. also has a refrigerator, washer dryer and microwave...i guess you save on appliances

im gonna go visit my boyfriend in SF in the middle of february so im gonna go check out this place and see if it is all that it is cracked up to be

good luck finding roomates too (even though it is still really early)

I'm 90% sure i'm gonna go to TUCOM, unless i get accepted to an MD school i'll be at TUCOM for sure. I got into another school back east but I like cali too much to deal with all the snow over there.

When you get a chance to check out that place can you give me the low down on how it is? Thanks!

Hey again, I will repost and stuff as more people ask...I am looking for 2 roomies to share a 4 bed, 2.5 bathroom place 4.17 miles away from school.

The area around is safe, I checked the crime out in the area, one catch: gotta be a dude...sorry ladies! But yeah, hit me up!

Matt

KendoDO said:
Hey again, I will repost and stuff as more people ask...I am looking for 2 roomies to share a 4 bed, 2.5 bathroom place 4.17 miles away from school.

The area around is safe, I checked the crime out in the area, one catch: gotta be a dude...sorry ladies! But yeah, hit me up!

Matt

Hey KendoDo, so your name is Matt. I replied ur email to me asking what your name was, how silly of me.

And to Rnugg and Bnoosha: Sup to Irvine ppl. Hopefully more from UCI will attend. I am a 4th year at UCI right now. By the picture on ur profile Bnoosha, i think i recognize you from a class or something. Did you take anatomy Fall05 with that cool bald professor?

Hey Rnugg, tell us more about yourself. Maybe I've seen you before on campus. Unlike you, I accepted their offer as an early acceptance. So that means I can't interview anymore, 100% sure i will go there. But hey TUCOM is pretty nice even though it was the only med school I ever visited.

billytoanle said:
Hey KendoDo, so your name is Matt. I replied ur email to me asking what your name was, how silly of me.

And to Rnugg and Bnoosha: Sup to Irvine ppl. Hopefully more from UCI will attend. I am a 4th year at UCI right now. By the picture on ur profile Bnoosha, i think i recognize you from a class or something. Did you take anatomy Fall05 with that cool bald professor?

Hey Rnugg, tell us more about yourself. Maybe I've seen you before on campus. Unlike you, I accepted their offer as an early acceptance. So that means I can't interview anymore, 100% sure i will go there. But hey TUCOM is pretty nice even though it was the only med school I ever visited.

whattup billytoanle,

My name is Richard and i graduated june of 2005. I was involved in a couple on campus organizations. I was the Publicist for Flying Sams and i was in Kappa Sigma. You probably saw me around campus for sure, UCI isn't that big so after a while everyone looks familiar. As for right now, I don't plan to do anything but party till we matriculate haha Well thats me in a nutshell.

Hey billytoanle

Yes I was in anatomy with Riegle...he was such a nice professor...

ya im still a fourth year at uci...if you see me around stop me and say hello...i would like to put a face to ur name...

im also excited to start touro and i am definetly accepting (i only applied to touro and western...but i really wanted to go to touro)...
alright...take care :)

billytoanle said:

Cool cool. School hasn't started and we are already getting to know each other. Laters

my aim sn is Billyle
Hopefully I talk to all you TUCOMs more eventually.

billytoanle said:
Cool cool. School hasn't started and we are already getting to know each other. Laters

my aim sn is Billyle
Hopefully I talk to all you TUCOMs more eventually.

Hey Guys!

I will be at Touro in the Fall as well, and I just wanted to say that looking on Craigslist is also a good place for housing. The apartments will be quite expensive but sometimes you have better look on Craigslist for something more affordable. I am planning on sharing housing but want a mixed household if over 2 people. I think living with one other girl would be okay but would want to have a mixed household for 3+ people. I live in the east bay right now just working so if anyone ouside of the area needs help with living tips let me know, I have been in the Bay area for a long time :)

Can't wait to meet everyone soon...

Heather

What's up class of 2010? Congratulations! Don't do anything this summer besides travel, relax and party because you won't have much time for it once school starts (although it's not as bad as people make it sound)! I am in the Touro-CA class of 2009 so I can answer any questions you may have. I see that a couple of you are from Colorado? I grew up in Lakewood, CO and went to Bear Creek HS followed by CU-Boulder. Email me at [email protected] with questions. See you guys soon!

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be attending TUCOM this comming August, and I'd like to make some new friends before I'd hike to Cali. My name is Tom. I'm 24 years old and currently living and working in Cambridge, MA. (Yes, its freezing!) I enjoy rock climbing, skiing, hiking, weight lifting, soccer, and anime. I'm still working on the logistical nightmare of moving from coast to coast, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

In addition, I am also looking for potential a roomate or two. I'd like to find an apartment or townhouse in Benecia, or somewhere other than Vallejo :p . Please let me know if you are interested. I'm a neat, quiet, and respectful rommate. (If your into video or computer games that's a big plus in my book!) email me at: [email protected]

See you this August!

Welcome to the island, everyone!!! As we sat in lecture today, with the door open... the grass is growing like mad outside on the hill by your future lecture hall... and a bunny hopped by.

And I thought to myself (what a wonderful world)... DAMN I'M GLAD I'M NOT BACK EAST!! hahahahaha!!!

Like Erik posted above, feel free to PM me with questions.

Congratulations!!!

Christine

CoverMe said:
Welcome to the island, everyone!!! As we sat in lecture today, with the door open... the grass is growing like mad outside on the hill by your future lecture hall... and a bunny hopped by.

And I thought to myself (what a wonderful world)... DAMN I'M GLAD I'M NOT BACK EAST!! hahahahaha!!!

Christine

Hahahha...your description sounds like something one would see on TV! :)

I've been looking more into apartments and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the following places

Austin Creek Apartments
Seabreeze
Blue Rock Village
Fountain Plaza Hills

These seemed to be the most affordable that I found. Anyone have any comments about these places?? Thanks.

For all you out of towners, the weather isn't super wonderful in Vallejo, kinda cold compared to parts of the Bay Area, but, it most def beats other parts of the country, cept maybe San Diego....currently it is 65, was 70 yesterday, I am in shorts and a tee in wintertime, oh I love you California.

Anyways, I am looking into gym memberships in the area, anyone else interested? Their bball court is good for kendo if anyone is interested in learning, but I would love a place to swim and run. PM if interested! :thumbup:

Hey has anyone in here thought of dorming?

What are the pros and cons of dorming in TUCOM?

Does anyone know how hard it is to be approved for dorming in TUCOM?

-Billy

billytoanle said:
Hey has anyone in here thought of dorming?

What are the pros and cons of dorming in TUCOM?

Does anyone know how hard it is to be approved for dorming in TUCOM?

-Billy

I thought about dorming, but after seeing the campus and whats on the island i think i'm gonna live off campus.

I thought about dorming too at first but my tour guide said it was pretty hard to get into because there's not that many rooms. But then I like the thought of having my own living room and kitchen so I'm gonna get an apartment.

ScOrPiO2983 said:
I thought about dorming too at first but my tour guide said it was pretty hard to get into because there's not that many rooms. But then I like the thought of having my own living room and kitchen so I'm gonna gt an apartment.
Yeah it would be nice to just roll out of bed and go to class or study, but there is a lack of food and stuff to procrastinate with :) . So I am going to go with the off the "island" option. Maybe Benicia...

For those of you who are planning trips or going to be out of town before classes start, I called the office to find out about the financial aid packages, roommate list etc. and they told me they are planning on sending that stuff out in early april. Not good for those of us who are going to be gone, oh well what can you do?

Yeah, you guys have a point about the cons of dorming.
Looks like off campus is a good idea. Hopefully I can find one or two guys to share a place with. If any of you guys interested maybe we can start looking for a good place together. I live in southern California, Orange County. So it'd be nice to drive up there before school starts and check out some prospective places.

Aim me up at: BillyLe

-Billy

Hey Everyone!
Well, I am 75% sure I will attend TUCOM next year. I'm from the East Coast, and I have several questions, that I hope someone can answer.

1.) I plan to live with my boyfriend in Berkeley (he will be a grad student there). I was hoping that someone who knows the area could tell me about the traffic from Berkeley to MI in the AM and the reverse in PM. How long does it take? Do students ever take this route? Is it worth saving $10000 in rent to commute?

2.) Are lectures available on MP3? Do we buy classnotes or are they supplied online to us? How is the curriculum changing?

3.) Are laptops required? If so, do you know the min. requirements?

4.) Where are the 3rd year rotations set up? I looked at the list, and most seem to be in AZ, CO, and NV. Do we get to pick where we want to do our rotations? I really want to stay in the SF area. Of the list posted online, do you know which hospitals have great reputations?

5.) How do you know the match list is impressive?

6.) When does orientation begin this year? When do classes start?

These are my questions thus far! Thanks!!

Hey I think you asked some great questions.

I am also intersted in the answers to questions 4-6.

As for # 1, I here the commute from Berkely isn't that bad, b/c you are going in the opposite direction of traffic...when I drove from sf in the morning it took me 50 min (so i assume berkely should only take you 30 min in the morning)
and again in teh PM it will be reverse commute (against traffic)

2) Lectures are not provided in mp3 format...i think professors give out slides (but I am not positive about this one).

Hope i helped a bit...and if anyone else can answer the other questions...i would also really appreciate it.

BluesClues32 said:
Hey Everyone!
Well, I am 75% sure I will attend TUCOM next year. I'm from the East Coast, and I have several questions, that I hope someone can answer.

1.) I plan to live with my boyfriend in Berkeley (he will be a grad student there). I was hoping that someone who knows the area could tell me about the traffic from Berkeley to MI in the AM and the reverse in PM. How long does it take? Do students ever take this route? Is it worth saving $10000 in rent to commute?

2.) Are lectures available on MP3? Do we buy classnotes or are they supplied online to us? How is the curriculum changing?

3.) Are laptops required? If so, do you know the min. requirements?

4.) Where are the 3rd year rotations set up? I looked at the list, and most seem to be in AZ, CO, and NV. Do we get to pick where we want to do our rotations? I really want to stay in the SF area. Of the list posted online, do you know which hospitals have great reputations?

5.) How do you know the match list is impressive?

6.) When does orientation begin this year? When do classes start?

These are my questions thus far! Thanks!!

I don' know about the laptops; sorry. Yes, you do get to set up your own rotations, and yes, most of those will be in the Bay Area.

As for match lists, here's the 2004 match list. Read for yourself.

ALLOPATHIC MATCH RESULTS - CLASS OF 2004

Student

****3698 University of Michigan, MI Phys Medicine & Rehab
****3772 Chino Valley Medical Center, CA Family Practice
****6439 Bay Area Corpus Christi, TX Traditional Rotating
****7206 Medical University of South Carolina, SC Psychiatry
****4086 Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, VA Medicine - Preliminary
****9632 Swedish Medical Center, WA Family Practice/First Hill
****4924 University of Southern Florida College of Medicine, FL Pediatrics
****4595 Sutter Medical Center, CA Family Practice
****4586 Michigan State University, MI General Surgery
****0851 University of Arizona Affiliated Hospitals Psychiatry
****9717 Kaiser Permente, CA Pediatrics
****2026 Nassau University Medical Center, NY General Surgery
****3360 St. Josephs Mercy McComb, MI Emergency Medicine
****9795 University of Southern California, CA Internal Medicine
****5284 New York State University, NY Psychiatry
****8714 Alaska Family Practice Res, AK Family Practice
****6362 UC Irvine Medical Center, CA Pediatrics
****0740 Phoenix Baptist Hospital, AZ Family Practice
****9411 Stanislaus Health Services, CA Family Practice
****1615 San Joaquin General Hospital, CA Family Practice
****1510 Utah Valley Family Practice, UT Family Practice
****9268 Chino Valley Medical Center, CA Family Practice
****4398 University of Nevada Affiliated Hospitals, NV Pediatrics
****3855 Alameda County Medical Center, CA Emergency Medicine
****1929 Northeast Ohio College of Medicine, OH OB/BYN
****8976 Alameda County Medical Center, CA Internal Medicine
****3639 New York University School of Medicine, NY Phys Medicine & Rehab
****7784 Rush University Medical Center, IL Phys Medicine & Rehab
****9646 UCLA Medical Center, CA Family Medicine
****5013 Martin L King Jr/Drew Medical Center, CA Psychiatry
****5641 University of Texas HSC, TX Phys Medicine & Rehab
****2496 Stanislaus Health Services, CA Family Practice
****7158 UC San Diego Medical Center, CA Family Practice
****2130 Johns Hopkins Hospital, MD Phys Medicine & Rehab
****1909 UC Irvine Medical Center, CA Family Practice
****0678 Glendale Adventist, CA Family Practice
****0027 University of Nevada Affiliated Hospitals, NV Pediatrics
****6731 Virginia Commonwealth University Health Systems, VA Internal Medicine
****5716 University of New Mexico School of Medicine, NM Pedatrics
****4098 Memorial Fam Prac Res, TX Family Practice
****9875 UMDNJ-New Jersey Med, NJ Family Practice
****7062 UC San Francisco, CA Surgery-Preliminary
****5423 University of Hawaii Integ Ob/Gyn, HI OB/GYN
****5095 University of New Mexico SOM, NM Pediatrics
****4720 UC Irvine Medical Center, CA Internal Medicine
****7295 Albert Einstein Medical Center, PA Emergency Medicine
****9683 UMDNJ-New Jersey Med, NJ Pediatrics
****2299 UC Davis Medical Center, CA Anesthesiology
****8490 Exempla St. Joseph Hosp, CO Internal Medicine
****6976 Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, NC Family Practice
****8967 Good Samaritan Medical Center, NY Traditional Rotating
****8881 St. Josephs Hospital, AZ Pediatrics
****4845 Stanislaus Health Services, CA Family Practice
****1113 San Joaquin General Hospital, CA Family Practice
****4027 Exempla St. Joseph Hospital, CO Family Practice
****6393 University of Southern California, CA Emergency Medicine
****3497 St. Elizabeths Hospital, MA Internal Medicine
****3694 University of Rochester, Strong Memorial, NY Family Practice
****4722 Northside Hospital and Heart Institute, FL Phys Medicine & Rehab
****1831 St. Anthony Hospitals, CO Family Practice

OSTEOPATHIC MATCH RESULTS - CLASS OF 2004

Student

**987 Memorial Hospital, PA Traditional Rotating
**988 UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Medical Center, TX Internal Medicine
**991 Pacific Hospital - Long Beach, CA Family Practice
**992 Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, CA OB/GYN
**994 Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, CA Traditional Rotating
**995 Sun Coast Hospital, FL Traditional Rotating
**996 Columbia Hospital, FL Family Practice
**997 Genesys Health Systems, MI Emergency Medicine
**999 Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital, MI Emergency Medicine
**026 Naval Hospital (San Diego), CA Traditional Rotating
**027 Wilson Memorial Regional Medical Center, NY Traditional Rotating
**030 Wilson Memorial Regional Medical Center, NY Family Practice
**035 Travis Air Force Base/Grant Medical Center, CA Traditional Rotating
**037 Garden City Hospital Osteopathic, MI Emergency Medicine
**100 Henry Ford HS/Horizon/Bi-County, MI Psychiatry
**102 Good Samaritan Hosp, NY OB/GYN
**110 Ingham Regional Medical Center, MI Phys Medicine & Rehab
**113 Good Samaritan Hosp, NY Pediatrics
**117 Northside Hospital & Heart Institute, FL Traditional Rotating
**122 Naval Hospital (Portsmouth), VA Traditional Rotating
**942 New York United Hosp, NY Traditional Rotating
**132 Doctors Hospital Medical Center, CA Family Practice
**125 Madigan Army Medical Center, WA Traditional Rotating
**127 Kennedy Memorial/Univeristy Medical, NJ Traditional Rotating
**961 Detroit Riverview, MI Internal Medicine
**131 Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital, MI Emergency Medicine
**137 Naval Hospital (San Diego), CA Traditional Rotating
**145 DCH Foundation Hospital, CA Traditional Rotating
**148 DCH Foundation Hospital, CA Family Practice
**993 Genesys Health Systems, MI Family Practice
**150 Palmetto General Hospital, FL Emergency Medicine
**157 Naval Hospital (Portsmouth), VA Traditional Rotating
**158 AZ GME Consortium, AZ Family Practice
**160 Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital, MI Diagnostic Radiology
**161 Pacific Hospital - Long Beach, CA Family Practice
**166 Grandview Hospital and Medical Center, OH Orthopedic Surgery

I don' know about the laptops; sorry. Yes, you do get to set up your own rotations, and yes, most of those will be in the Bay Area.

Orientation will run the first week of August, class starts the second week.

As for match lists, here's the 2004 match list. Read for yourself.

ALLOPATHIC MATCH RESULTS - CLASS OF 2004

Student

****3698 University of Michigan, MI Phys Medicine & Rehab
****3772 Chino Valley Medical Center, CA Family Practice
****6439 Bay Area Corpus Christi, TX Traditional Rotating
****7206 Medical University of South Carolina, SC Psychiatry
****4086 Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, VA Medicine - Preliminary
****9632 Swedish Medical Center, WA Family Practice/First Hill
****4924 University of Southern Florida College of Medicine, FL Pediatrics
****4595 Sutter Medical Center, CA Family Practice
****4586 Michigan State University, MI General Surgery
****0851 University of Arizona Affiliated Hospitals Psychiatry
****9717 Kaiser Permente, CA Pediatrics
****2026 Nassau University Medical Center, NY General Surgery
****3360 St. Josephs Mercy McComb, MI Emergency Medicine
****9795 University of Southern California, CA Internal Medicine
****5284 New York State University, NY Psychiatry
****8714 Alaska Family Practice Res, AK Family Practice
****6362 UC Irvine Medical Center, CA Pediatrics
****0740 Phoenix Baptist Hospital, AZ Family Practice
****9411 Stanislaus Health Services, CA Family Practice
****1615 San Joaquin General Hospital, CA Family Practice
****1510 Utah Valley Family Practice, UT Family Practice
****9268 Chino Valley Medical Center, CA Family Practice
****4398 University of Nevada Affiliated Hospitals, NV Pediatrics
****3855 Alameda County Medical Center, CA Emergency Medicine
****1929 Northeast Ohio College of Medicine, OH OB/BYN
****8976 Alameda County Medical Center, CA Internal Medicine
****3639 New York University School of Medicine, NY Phys Medicine & Rehab
****7784 Rush University Medical Center, IL Phys Medicine & Rehab
****9646 UCLA Medical Center, CA Family Medicine
****5013 Martin L King Jr/Drew Medical Center, CA Psychiatry
****5641 University of Texas HSC, TX Phys Medicine & Rehab
****2496 Stanislaus Health Services, CA Family Practice
****7158 UC San Diego Medical Center, CA Family Practice
****2130 Johns Hopkins Hospital, MD Phys Medicine & Rehab
****1909 UC Irvine Medical Center, CA Family Practice
****0678 Glendale Adventist, CA Family Practice
****0027 University of Nevada Affiliated Hospitals, NV Pediatrics
****6731 Virginia Commonwealth University Health Systems, VA Internal Medicine
****5716 University of New Mexico School of Medicine, NM Pedatrics
****4098 Memorial Fam Prac Res, TX Family Practice
****9875 UMDNJ-New Jersey Med, NJ Family Practice
****7062 UC San Francisco, CA Surgery-Preliminary
****5423 University of Hawaii Integ Ob/Gyn, HI OB/GYN
****5095 University of New Mexico SOM, NM Pediatrics
****4720 UC Irvine Medical Center, CA Internal Medicine
****7295 Albert Einstein Medical Center, PA Emergency Medicine
****9683 UMDNJ-New Jersey Med, NJ Pediatrics
****2299 UC Davis Medical Center, CA Anesthesiology
****8490 Exempla St. Joseph Hosp, CO Internal Medicine
****6976 Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, NC Family Practice
****8967 Good Samaritan Medical Center, NY Traditional Rotating
****8881 St. Josephs Hospital, AZ Pediatrics
****4845 Stanislaus Health Services, CA Family Practice
****1113 San Joaquin General Hospital, CA Family Practice
****4027 Exempla St. Joseph Hospital, CO Family Practice
****6393 University of Southern California, CA Emergency Medicine
****3497 St. Elizabeths Hospital, MA Internal Medicine
****3694 University of Rochester, Strong Memorial, NY Family Practice
****4722 Northside Hospital and Heart Institute, FL Phys Medicine & Rehab
****1831 St. Anthony Hospitals, CO Family Practice

OSTEOPATHIC MATCH RESULTS - CLASS OF 2004

Student

**987 Memorial Hospital, PA Traditional Rotating
**988 UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Medical Center, TX Internal Medicine
**991 Pacific Hospital - Long Beach, CA Family Practice
**992 Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, CA OB/GYN
**994 Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, CA Traditional Rotating
**995 Sun Coast Hospital, FL Traditional Rotating
**996 Columbia Hospital, FL Family Practice
**997 Genesys Health Systems, MI Emergency Medicine
**999 Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital, MI Emergency Medicine
**026 Naval Hospital (San Diego), CA Traditional Rotating
**027 Wilson Memorial Regional Medical Center, NY Traditional Rotating
**030 Wilson Memorial Regional Medical Center, NY Family Practice
**035 Travis Air Force Base/Grant Medical Center, CA Traditional Rotating
**037 Garden City Hospital Osteopathic, MI Emergency Medicine
**100 Henry Ford HS/Horizon/Bi-County, MI Psychiatry
**102 Good Samaritan Hosp, NY OB/GYN
**110 Ingham Regional Medical Center, MI Phys Medicine & Rehab
**113 Good Samaritan Hosp, NY Pediatrics
**117 Northside Hospital & Heart Institute, FL Traditional Rotating
**122 Naval Hospital (Portsmouth), VA Traditional Rotating
**942 New York United Hosp, NY Traditional Rotating
**132 Doctors Hospital Medical Center, CA Family Practice
**125 Madigan Army Medical Center, WA Traditional Rotating
**127 Kennedy Memorial/Univeristy Medical, NJ Traditional Rotating
**961 Detroit Riverview, MI Internal Medicine
**131 Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital, MI Emergency Medicine
**137 Naval Hospital (San Diego), CA Traditional Rotating
**145 DCH Foundation Hospital, CA Traditional Rotating
**148 DCH Foundation Hospital, CA Family Practice
**993 Genesys Health Systems, MI Family Practice
**150 Palmetto General Hospital, FL Emergency Medicine
**157 Naval Hospital (Portsmouth), VA Traditional Rotating
**158 AZ GME Consortium, AZ Family Practice
**160 Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital, MI Diagnostic Radiology
**161 Pacific Hospital - Long Beach, CA Family Practice
**166 Grandview Hospital and Medical Center, OH Orthopedic Surgery

I e-mailed Dr. Haight (who referred me to the curriculum director) about the laptops and he said that laptops will most likely be required in the upcoming year especially since they are trying really hard to make the campus wireless. He didn't know the requirements yet and said that once they figure it out, they would let the students know. Therefore, he told me to wait on buying a computer.

As far as the curriculum, I was told that it has not been finalized yet and they will let the students know as soon as they figure it out. The same goes for orientation and the start date.

It basically seems like everything is in the works and will be finalized in the next month or two. Hopefully, we'll be able to find out soon cuz I'm curious to know all this stuff too :)!