***tucom-mi Class Of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj1878

Water good...
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm thrilled to be attending this school. Who else is out there? We should organize a pre-orientation week get-together or something, shouldn't we? Especially for those of us that aren't native to California(myself included). Congratulations to everyone.

What struck you most positively about the interview/tour/school? Why did we pick it?

:D

Members don't see this ad.

mj1878 said:
Hey all! I'm thrilled to be attending this school. Who else is out there? We should organize a pre-orientation week get-together or something, shouldn't we? Especially for those of us that aren't native to California(myself included). Congratulations to everyone.

What struck you most positively about the interview/tour/school? Why did we pick it?

Hey MJ!

Well I am pretty sure I will be going to Touro next year. I am really excited about this upcoming year. The thing that took the cake for me was 1st the LOCATION, strong match list and the positive interview experience. My interview group seemed like a great group of people and if the people that they are accepting are like them, then I am stoked. Anyways that is pretty much it for now, I am still trying to get used to saying that I am going to go to touro. :eek: More later... Hopefully more people will join us.

Thanks for the reply! I was starting to think that no one from Touro used SDN! I think that if Dr. Haight hand-picks the classes, that we're going to have a good one, at least based on the folks that were in my interview group! We'll keep each other posted on updates, and congrats!

Marc

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'm most likely going to be attending TUCOM in the fall as well! I interviewed on the second interview date and was accepted. I'm excited because I really wanted to stay in California! I was starting to think that Touro people didn't use SDN either which I found really strange! Well at least there's a couple people on here who'll be there next year! :)

I actually think touro sets up a group site for the classes, so hopefully there will be more people. Dr. Haight said that they are up 20% in number of applicants from last year, which is unheard of, so I am sure more will come. So what's up with you guys, where did you graduate, live etc.?

I grew up in good ol Reno, NV, but then spent the last 5 years in San Diego going to school and pretending I was a surfer. Before school I plan on getting a job and pay of this massive debt I have incurred from this "fun" application process, then if all goes as plan travel in mexico and central america for a couple of months. I am going to try and get fully refreshed before all the good times begin.

Have you guys considered where you are going to live yet? I have no clue, but I heard Benicia is nice... Anyways.

Oh I didn't know that Touro sets up a group site. I am hoping that they will be changing their main website too...I think that it turns away a lot of people and doesn't give a good impression of the school. But I remember Dr. Haight mentioning that they were aware of that and in the process of making it better!

I grew up in Fremont (Northern CA), about an hour away from Vallejo. I went to school at UCLA which was a nice change and graduated in June. I moved back to Fremont in July and am working at a hospital nearby. I wanna travel a bit before starting school but that all depends on how much I can save in the meantime, so we'll see.

As far as places to live...I have no clue but hopefully will figure that out later on! I've been wondering how hard it will to find roommates and a place to live nearby. Hopefully we'll be able to meet or contacts other people in our class to make it easier.

MJ....i guess u're the only other person goin so far...so where are u from??

I grew up in Colorado, did a study abroad in Mexico, where I met my wife, who was on a Regent Scholarship in Nebraska, so I moved out to be with her. I've been here for about three years now. I miss the mountains.

I was a Spanish major, premed minor in undergrad. I found the Spanish to be a nice break from all of the science prereqs and the "premed" mentality; I'm sure you know what I mean. I just didn't really relish hanging out with the gunners. I'm really looking forward to getting away from cold weather for awhile, although we'll probably end up settling down somewhere where my wife can attend an Ivy League grad. school(we have this deal where she agrees to move wherever I attend medical school, and I agree to move wherever she decides to go to graduate school).

mj1878 said:
I grew up in Colorado, did a study abroad in Mexico, where I met my wife, who was on a Regent Scholarship in Nebraska, so I moved out to be with her. I've been here for about three years now. I miss the mountains.

I was a Spanish major, premed minor in undergrad. I found the Spanish to be a nice break from all of the science prereqs and the "premed" mentality; I'm sure you know what I mean. I just didn't really relish hanging out with the gunners. I'm really looking forward to getting away from cold weather for awhile, although we'll probably end up settling down somewhere where my wife can attend an Ivy League grad. school(we have this deal where she agrees to move wherever I attend medical school, and I agree to move wherever she decides to go to graduate school).
Hey there everyone!
I just put in my gigantic deposit and will be attending touro next fall. I am actually in Berkeley so I was able to drive up for my interview, go up look at the areas, check out the school and talk to alot of students. I am from Colorado too, went to UCSB, grew up in Arvada. I will post later, see ya and talk to ya later.

----Sorry to cut the last post short. Anyway, I was browsing the Touro "Current Students" site, and found the list of "required equipment", and put a lot of it on my Christmas list. Looks like they picked out a pretty nice stethoscope. I read that LECOM hands out stethoscopes during the white coat ceremony. Wow, because the ones they give out are $180.00. It'd be nice if Touro did that.

I was a nurse aide in a Telemetry unit for over two years, so naturally Cardiology is pretty interesting to me; the work is fascinating. I am currently a phlebotomist in the county hospital; tonight the ER is actually kind of busy with high acuity, low volume. The rest of my extracurriculars are on my mdapplicants.com site, in my signature.

Raise your hand if you hope that they have the wireless internet up and running by the time we matriculate! :thumbup:

Have a fun few months leading up to orientation, and we'll keep in contact, I'm sure!

Marc

mj1878 said:
----Sorry to cut the last post short. Anyway, I was browsing the Touro "Current Students" site, and found the list of "required equipment", and put a lot of it on my Christmas list. Looks like they picked out a pretty nice stethoscope. I read that LECOM hands out stethoscopes during the white coat ceremony. Wow, because the ones they give out are $180.00. It'd be nice if Touro did that.

Raise your hand if you hope that they have the wireless internet up and running by the time we matriculate! :thumbup:

Marc

Hey Marc,

Maybe I wasn't lookin in the right place but where did you find the list of required items?? :confused:

Also I REALLY hope they have wireless by the time we start altho I don't know if thats even an option!

And Jnino..welcome :D

ScOrPiO2983 said:
Hey Marc,

Maybe I wasn't lookin in the right place but where did you find the list of required items?? :confused:

Also I REALLY hope they have wireless by the time we start altho I don't know if thats even an option!

And Jnino..welcome :D

Scorpio,

Here is the link.

It's from the www.tumi.edu website, then "current students", then "bookstore". There's also some stuff on the website like Mare Island Student Life, found here.

mj1878 said:
Scorpio,

Here is the link.

It's from the www.tumi.edu website, then "current students", then "bookstore". There's also some stuff on the website like Mare Island Student Life, found here.

Cool...thanks for the site! I didn't realize there was so much we would have to buy before starting...more bills...oye!! :eek:

Hey, so what do you guys plan on doing between now and the start of med school? It would be nice to take some time off and travel - may be our last chance to do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ogre, so what's the story of your life? Introduce yourself, if you don't mind. :)

My wife and I made a month-long trip to Europe this past summer (Madrid, Paris, Lyon, London), so we don't feel a ton of pressure to get out in the world. We'd travel more, if we could, but we're kind of in "buckle down financially, because we're about to have NO money" mode.

Let's keep it rolling!

Thanks MJ for the link. Welcome to all the new people. To answer ogre guestion, definitely going to do the traveling thing. First have to get out of debt then I am off, hopefully untill the start of july. I'll have to see how much money I can save in the next 3 months.

So I was looking at a "cost of living" site, and found that Benicia is actually cheaper to live in than where we are now(Lincoln Nebraska). Anyone from Cali get this vibe, or is the site totally off its rocker?

I'm from CA but don't know too much about how much the Benecia area is...I'm surprised that it's cheaper than where you currently are thought! But good for us poor med students :)

ScOrPiO2983 said:
I'm from CA but don't know too much about how much the Benecia area is...I'm surprised that it's cheaper than where you currently are thought! But good for us poor med students :)
I visited Benecia last weekend b/c i've never been, really one of those places that you would never go unless you had to. Anyways, a really nice little town. I thought everywhere up there (north of Berkeley) was a little shady but Benecia is actually quite nice, safe, view of bay, great weather, and cheap, i dont know about compared to lincoln, i grew up in CO and it would probably be close to CO. 2 bedroom for 1000 or less. Also, about 15 min from school, talked with a local and there is hardly any traffic that far north of san fran.
Vallejo is a different story, 5-10 min away from Touro, not as nice, but as a couple locals pointed out that its getting better. Its really like any place, LA, Chicago, good parts and bad, and anywhere in CA is your car up to being broken in to .
What is everyone thinking about living situations? I was at TUCOM a couple of times post interview and thought living on that island right next to school i would get 'cabin fever', for me, i think it would be a toss-up between vallejo and benecia. well, any other q's i'd be happy to answer and if anyone is going to visit let me know, maybe i can help out!

Congrats guys on getting in and looking forward to meeting you all next year!
I live in Glen Cove, an upscale neighborhood of Vallejo. I ended up renting a house we found on craigslist with 3 other 1st years. I recommend that area and Benicia is very nice and safe as well, with more to do. downtown 1st street area is awesome with farmer's markets, restaurants, and shopping. It was something like the 83rd best city to live in America this year's us news

MasterShakeDO said:
Congrats guys on getting in and looking forward to meeting you all next year!
I live in Glen Cove, an upscale neighborhood of Vallejo. I ended up renting a house we found on craigslist with 3 other 1st years. I recommend that area and Benicia is very nice and safe as well, with more to do. downtown 1st street area is awesome with farmer's markets, restaurants, and shopping. It was something like the 83rd best city to live in America this year's us news
Master,
about what do you pay for rent with 3 other roomates? How big is your apt, is it nice, parking?
Just curious, thanks.

We average 500 apiece, 4 bedroom house, not sure the square footage but it's more space than we use. 3 car garage is nice, though I'm the one who parks in the driveway =)

Well it is OFFICIAL just sent in the 2g deposit. Feels good, but also stings a little. Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be there for sure!!!!! Talk to you all later. D

DODO said:
Well it is OFFICIAL just sent in the 2g deposit. Feels good, but also stings a little. Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be there for sure!!!!! Talk to you all later. D

I made that painful "little" withdrawal as well. I guess we'll meet up at the white coat ceremony, eh? You know, when you're not accepted yet (you're neck-deep in the applications process, waiting for schools to finally look at your application, praying for an interview, praying for a good result), getting into medical school seems like the most impossible feat; lately I've been looking back and thinking to myself that it wasn't that hard. Anyone else feel this way a little bit?

Marc

MasterShakeDO said:
We average 500 apiece, 4 bedroom house, not sure the square footage but it's more space than we use. 3 car garage is nice, though I'm the one who parks in the driveway =)
When did you get set up with these other students, summer or after orientation? Thanks for all your info, 500/month sound nice albeit 3 other roomates.

mj1878 said:

I'm coming home!

Got my email from Dr. Haight today, and I'll be sending my deposit as soon as I have the real letter in hand. I'm originally from CA, and am thrilled to be heading back to the left coast (I live in Baltimore, MD now).

I had acceptances from both LECOM campuses before my interview at TUCOM, and only went because I already had the plane tickets and my mom was coming to meet me for the weekend. I was having a hard time deciding between Erie and Bradenton, but it became abundantly clear that Touro was where I should be. Not really sure what it was... just a vibe, I guess. funny how things work out in the long run!

nerdgrrl said:
I'm coming home!

Got my email from Dr. Haight today, and I'll be sending my deposit as soon as I have the real letter in hand. I'm originally from CA, and am thrilled to be heading back to the left coast (I live in Baltimore, MD now).

I had acceptances from both LECOM campuses before my interview at TUCOM, and only went because I already had the plane tickets and my mom was coming to meet me for the weekend. I was having a hard time deciding between Erie and Bradenton, but it became abundantly clear that Touro was where I should be. Not really sure what it was... just a vibe, I guess. funny how things work out in the long run!

Congrats!!! I was in the same boat, but right after the interview at tucom I knew I wanted to go there. I think it was the vibe and the fact that it is in CA. Good stuff again.

nerdgrrl said:
I'm coming home!

Congrats, and Welcome! :thumbup:

So...tell us about yourself, since we're going to be classmates!!

mj1878 said:
Congrats, and Welcome! :thumbup:

So...tell us about yourself, since we're going to be classmates!!

yay! it's starting to get exciting. already decided that my last day of work is 6/30. can't effing wait!

ok, so me. I'm 23, graduated from Mills College in Oakland, CA in 2004, with a degree in women's studies. Right now I'm getting a masters in women's studies at Towson University in MD. I'm a big nerd, and my research interests are the medicalization of childbirth and contraceptive decision making in women. I run a women's health clinic in Baltimore. Love love love my job. but can't wait to get to the part where I'm the doctor instead of the administrator. obviously, I want to be an ob/gyn when I grow up. I like long walks on the beach, candlelit dinners, and... ahem.

anyway, that's me in a nutshell.

nerdgrrl said:
yay! it's starting to get exciting. already decided that my last day of work is 6/30. can't effing wait!

ok, so me. I'm 23, graduated from Mills College in Oakland, CA in 2004, with a degree in women's studies. Right now I'm getting a masters in women's studies at Towson University in MD. I'm a big nerd, and my research interests are the medicalization of childbirth and contraceptive decision making in women. I run a women's health clinic in Baltimore. Love love love my job. but can't wait to get to the part where I'm the doctor instead of the administrator. obviously, I want to be an ob/gyn when I grow up. I like long walks on the beach, candlelit dinners, and... ahem.

Nerdgrrl ... congrats to you and everyone else in our interview group there on Monday, 12/5. I was the guy in uniform. I took an acceptance at VCOM and withdrew my application to Touro on 12/7 due to several reasons involving practicality, logistics, family, etc etc. I loved Touro and would have enjoyed going there (which I expressed in an email to Dr. Haight) but VCOM just had a better fit with my personal preferences and needs. Any idea of who else from our group of 10 interviewees got in?

Congrats and best of luck to everyone next year!

trinityalumnus said:
Nerdgrrl ... congrats to you and everyone else in our interview group there on Monday, 12/5. I was the guy in uniform. I took an acceptance at VCOM and withdrew my application to Touro on 12/7 due to several reasons involving practicality, logistics, family, etc etc. I loved Touro and would have enjoyed going there (which I expressed in an email to Dr. Haight) but VCOM just had a better fit with my personal preferences and needs. Any idea of who else from our group of 10 interviewees got in?

Congrats and best of luck to everyone next year!

Thanks! and congrats on VCOM. so important to find the place that feels right!

No idea who got in. Emails just came out yesterday, so I guess it's a bit soon for everyone to be announcing. Did you have a nice rest of your trip?

nerdgrrl said:
Thanks! and congrats on VCOM. so important to find the place that feels right!

No idea who got in. Emails just came out yesterday, so I guess it's a bit soon for everyone to be announcing. Did you have a nice rest of your trip?

Sure did. It was sort-of a second honeymoon, as my wife and I went to SF on our real honeymoon years ago. It was really fun finding some of the same hole-in-the-wall eateries still open for business as we went down memory lane.

Oh, of course, she took advantage of shopping at Macy's and other stores on Union Square while I was at the interview.

Hello all! Well, the good news arrived today... TUCOM-MI class of 2010!!! What an amazing feeling to finally be done with this whole process and know it was all worth it! One email and my world fell into place - so crazy :)

I look forward to chating with you all in the coming months ~ Happy Holidays!

Hi guys, my name is Billy and it's my first time here.
I interviewed in September 2005 and turned in my deposit a week after that. So I guess will see you all there. Can't wait!
Oh yeah I am currently attending UC Irvine, any one heard of it? or live near me?

Hey Future Touro DO's
I'm in the class of '09 and was reading about some of you planning to buy text books. My best advice is not too just yet. After one semester I used two of the required texts. And then only to check the spelling of a word. If i could do it over again I would wait until you meet your Big Sib and get text books from them, check out board reveiw series texts rather than the gianormous ones our Profs recommend. Also as far as instruments go a stethescope and BP cuff are all we needed for the first semester. Shop around for books: half.com and allheart.com for instruments also try using the Mare Island Website and the Touro Student Used book exchange. You probably won't get more info until this summer about what is to come. Enjoy your time off and get ready to learn a LOT really really fast!!
Take Care and Happy Holidays
KEP

Hey all! :D Just wanted to say CONGRATS to those who got accepted! Glad to see you're all excited to go to Touro! :thumbup:

Hey guys,

Hope everyone had a very merry x-mas and have an awesome new year! And thanks for the advice from the c/o 2009 students! :) :D

Jus a quick question...when does the mailin list for the class start and when does the school start sending new students info? Also, when do we find out who our Big Sibs are?? Thanks!

SotaBGirl said:
One email and my world fell into place - so crazy :)
SotaBGirl said:
I got my acceptance right before the holidays and my whole life came into focus. Really excited about getting in, can't wait to be there. Congrats to everyone else who got in! Looking forward to meeting you all this summer.

ScOrPiO2983 said:
Hey guys,

Hope everyone had a very merry x-mas and have an awesome new year! And thanks for the advice from the c/o 2009 students! :) :D

Jus a quick question...when does the mailin list for the class start and when does the school start sending new students info? Also, when do we find out who our Big Sibs are?? Thanks!
The mailing list for the class starts late in the Spring. You get new info depending on when you accepted a seat in the class because interviews don't usually end 'til June. So some students get info ahead of others. As for Big Sibs, last year we didn't get them until July because it took a while to get students paired up with 2nd years. So it'll depend on whoever will be in charge of organizing it next upcoming year when that'll be set up.

Does TUCOM have a Stan or Harvey model?

nerdgrrl said:

Hey!

Congrats on the acceptance. I will be at Touro as well in the fall and also want to do OB... actually thinking about GYN ONC but not sure how that will work out so in the meantime I am just excited about getting to be a doctor soon!!!!!

Can't wait to start but I am enjoying making money until then :p

hmack said:
Hey!

Congrats on the acceptance. I will be at Touro as well in the fall and also want to do OB... actually thinking about GYN ONC but not sure how that will work out so in the meantime I am just excited about getting to be a doctor soon!!!!!

Can't wait to start but I am enjoying making money until then :p

gyn onc would be interesting. then again, the day that our doc diagnosed the first endometrial cancer we'd seen in our office, I went home and cried. in the end, I'm way more interested in primary care. I probably should have been a nurse midwife, but I want to be able to do c-sections and abortions and all the other gyn surgery. so yeah, no gyn onc for me.

what are you doing for money making? I just decided to quit my job a month earlier than I originally planned. I figure I'll be poor for the next ten years, why not start a month earlier?

Hello classmates - Happy New Year! Where do you think you are going to live? I didn't get to see the dorms on my tour, but from what the students said... they are questionable. Guess it matters what you want. I am probably going to get a place off campus.

Also wondering when everyone is planning on moving? So far I gave notice at work for the beginning of July so I can travel a little before moving. I wonder if we will have any extra time during orientation to get settled.

SotaBGirl said:
Hello classmates - Happy New Year! Where do you think you are going to live? I didn't get to see the dorms on my tour, but from what the students said... they are questionable. Guess it matters what you want. I am probably going to get a place off campus.

Also wondering when everyone is planning on moving? So far I gave notice at work for the beginning of July so I can travel a little before moving. I wonder if we will have any extra time during orientation to get settled.

I went to college in Oakland, and I'd LOVE to live there again, but alas, the commute is much too far. I'm thinking probably benicia or vallejo proper. Definitely off campus though, and I'm crossing my fingers for finding a one bedroom that only costs and arm, instead of an arm and a leg. I'm driving from Baltimore around 6/20, heading to my Aunt's in Oakland, and looking for something, then I'll be off to visit family for the rest of July.

Any current students care to post the first semester curriculum? Thanks if you do!!

For those that live out of the state, did you know that AACOM does business with a moving firm that gets osteopathic medical students a 50-60% discount on moving services(loading, unloading, moving vehicles, etc.). I am going to call the service this week, so I'll keep you posted on costs, etc., in case you have a LOT of stuff (stuff, vehicles, pets, etc.) like me to move out a long way!

Marc

mj1878 said:
Any current students care to post the first semester curriculum? Thanks if you do!!

For those that live out of the state, did you know that AACOM does business with a moving firm that gets osteopathic medical students a 50-60% discount on moving services(loading, unloading, moving vehicles, etc.). I am going to call the service this week, so I'll keep you posted on costs, etc., in case you have a LOT of stuff (stuff, vehicles, pets, etc.) like me to move out a long way!

Marc

At the interview, we were told that they were changing to a systems based curriculum next year, which means that our curriculum will be different than the current students'.

Awesome on the moving company. I've been pricing companies, and everything is upwards of $3000. which I'm pretty sure is more than my stuff is worth. ugh!!

Hi again guys
They are changing your curriculum next year but you can check on the website under the link for current students to see what we have and are facing. I was under the impression that the systems based approach was still being worked out but if they gave you the impression that it was definite so be it. After talking with faculty and other friends based on the same approach, this one seems a bit overwhelming at first but in the long run you spend less class time and more learning time.. always a plus! Just make sure to keep up with the info you learn early on come COMLEX time. As for living, I live in the dorms and rather like it. Its sort of a family feel, there is a communal kitchen and you meet a lot of upperclassmen and form a tight friendship base with the people living there. So far I'm really happy with that experience. As far as living in Vallejo, there are some not so nice places so be aware of where you place that deposit, there are new homes on the island that are renting out rooms to students, also tons of inlaw cottages as well as your classmates who might be buying homes and willing to rent out rooms. I can't emphasize the MISL website enough for those particulars (the link can be found from the tucom mi website). A ton of second years with their own families and single live in Benecia and that town is adorable gives you a nice sense of home away from school. Even still there are some students that commute from Fairfield (about 30 minutes give or take) And some further away in Vacaville (I'm originally from there and the commute can vary from 40-60 min). Hope this helps, I'm off to read for anatomy (yes they gave us homework over our break)

Thank you so much for the living information, but if you have time I have a few more ?'s... How big are the dorm rooms? What kind of storage space is there? What exactly is an inlaw cottage?

Marc - Thank you so much for the moving company tip... what was the name? Using a moving company is so nice. When I moved back from Boston the hospital I work for now set-up my move, and it was wonderful to not have to do it all myself!! And if we get a deal, I may have to find the money to take the stress off of moving.

I have to get back to work... have a great day! :)

nerdgrrl said:
At the interview, we were told that they were changing to a systems based curriculum next year, which means that our curriculum will be different than the current students'.

Awesome on the moving company. I've been pricing companies, and everything is upwards of $3000. which I'm pretty sure is more than my stuff is worth. ugh!!

Here is the info on the moving service!

SotaBGirl said:
Thank you so much for the living information, but if you have time I have a few more ?'s... How big are the dorm rooms? What kind of storage space is there? What exactly is an inlaw cottage?

Marc - Thank you so much for the moving company tip... what was the name? Using a moving company is so nice. When I moved back from Boston the hospital I work for now set-up my move, and it was wonderful to not have to do it all myself!! And if we get a deal, I may have to find the money to take the stress off of moving.

I have to get back to work... have a great day! :)

sorry its going to be a short reply lab tomorrow early must sleeeeep
dorm rooms vary as first years you get last pick (sorry) make sure to be on top of the housing situation it was by sheer luck that a few of us got the rooms. dorms are just one bedroom with your own bath, furniture provided its old but its here. if your near vallejo and want to take a look just let me know. my roomate is one of the tour guides, maybe youve met her. an inlaw cottage is just a one or two room mini home with a kitchenette and the base necesities. i'd also advise checking out the campus one more time at least and looking at the living bulletins posted as well as waiting for the list serve to be set up and making friends/roomates that way.
happy new year

Just got my, "thanks for your deposit, don't forget you need to send us another $1000 by may" letter! Also included in that latter, was information about the listserv, etc. and it said that we would be receiving information about orientation, academic calendar, physical exam and immunization requirements, etc in late april, early may. I'm irritated by this. They must realize that people will be travelling and such. Is there any reason they can't give us that information with a little more time? I think I'll give the school a call next week and maybe get some general guidelines.

anyway, just venting.