***tucom-mi Class Of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
chiddy said:
Haha, yeah. It's funny though, everytime I tell someone I'm going to medical school in California, they always say that they would love to live there but wouldn't because of the earthquakes. I'm sure I'll be hearing about this a lot now. :) I couldn't be happier though, I've had just about enough winter weather. :mad:

Trust me, I lived in Pittsburgh for 11 years and can frankly say that I'll take the occasional quake over sub-zero temperatures anytime. Plus, global warming is going to get us all anyway. So, welcome to California.

Members don't see this ad.

BluesClues32 said:
Has anyone from the East Coast decided the cheapest way to move across country? Thanks!!

I have decided to hire movers and drive out with my cats. Don't have any quotes yet but will let you know when I do.

Thanks to all for the info on apts, laptops, dates. This thread rocks!

Is it really almost April????????????????????? :D

Hey guys,

Are the 2005 and 2006 match lists available anywhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
So last weekend I checked out some apartments nearby the school...I went on Sunday so a lot of them were closed but here's what I thought of the area

Club Pacifica: This was the first complex I went to and I really liked it. The manager was extremely nice and showed us all around. There are 3 spas, a swimming pool, gym, and a raquetball court in the complex. There's 3 laundry roms as well. The apartments are situated so that the rooms are on opposite side and they have one bedroom/one bath ($1120-1295), two bedroom/1 1/4 bath ($1245-1420), and 2 bedroom/2 bath ($1265-1490. The prices just went up but out of all the apartments I saw this one seemed the nicest and safest. The manager talked about how the crime rates were really low and that there are quite a few students living there. Also, there is a little room by the office with couches and stuff to study. The rent includes water and garbage. It's about a 20 minute drive to campus but you can take the freeway, so it might not be as long. There's a Raley's, Starbucks, and some other little stores really close to the building.

I saw two other complexes in Benicia that I liked but couldn't see the insides of since they were closed. The complexes were WaterView and Sterling Heights. I did call WaterView and their prices for the 2 bedroom range from $1155-1245. However, this doesn't include garbage and sewer which the manager said is about $40-45/month. Sterling Heights is in downtown Benicia so I think it's a little further from campus. I couldn't get a hold of the manager to find out the prices. But both of these places have nearby supermarkets and little shopping areas with restaurants.

Now onto Vallejo..like some other people on the forums have mentioned, the area isn't the greatest. Benicia seems a lot safer and nicer. I drive around Vallejo and most of the areas aren't places where I would feel safe coming home to late at night. I checked out SouthHampton and did not like it. SpyGlass was okay. The entire place looks like a shipyard. It is located really close to the water so the views are retty nice. The manager was pretty rude though and reluctantly showed me the models. The prices for the two bedroom/2 bath range from $1300-1400 normally. I did like the pools in the complex though (there's a lap pool and a normal one). There's also places that you can stand/sit to get an awesome view of the Carquinez Bridge. It's probably about a 20 minute drive to campus and I don't remember if there were any shopping areas or supermarkets nearby.

The other place in Vallejo that I thought was okay was Bay Village. That's a little bit closer to campus but when I asked about crime rates, I didn't get a straightforward answer which kinda worried me. They offer a one bedroom/one bath with den ($998-1195) 1 bedroom/1 1/4 bathroom ($1100-1250), and a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom ($1195-1295). This place does offer 6, 9, 12 month leases which I thought was cool if anyone is not going to be around for the summer, it saves money. You do have to pay all utilities, including the water and trash and she said that another management company was coming in soon so the prices may change (probably go up). The place had a really nice clubhouse and gym and an okay pool.

I also saw the area around Marina View apartments. They are located right across from Kaiser so it might be a good place during the 3rd and 4th year. It's a gated community and the area seemed ok. They were closed but I called and the lady said that they give discounts to Touro students and she could give a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom for $1100 whereas they are normally $1175.

In general, like I said before I'd go with Benicia becasue it's nicer and seems safer. Also, the complexes seem to have little restaurants and supermarkets nearby, whereas they seem further near Vallejo. If you guys are wondering about cable tv, one of the places gave me a flyer and the prices are as follows: Digital classic ($9.95), Digital Plus ($14.95), Digital Save ($29.95), Digital Gold ($43.95), Digital Platinum ($56.95). I'm too lazy to write out wha tthe packages mean but if you live in the area or are familiar with ComCast those are the packages. Also, for the apartments that have washer and dryer hook-ups, there's a company that lets you rent them for about $30 month. Otherwise, the laundry rooms usually end up costing about $2 for a full load at most of the apartments.

Well hopefully you're still awake at the end of this...it became a lot longer than I thought..phew! This is all I remember but if you guys have any other questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Thank you so much for the info!! :thumbup:

thanks for the info...one question though: did you run into any studios or other apartments that are the in $700 or lower $800 price range?

hamandcheese said:
thanks for the info...one question though: did you run into any studios or other apartments that are the in $700 or lower $800 price range?

Hey I wasn't interested in a studio so I wasn't really paying attention to them, but from what I remember there weren't many complexes with studios. The 1 bedrooms that I say were usually almost $1000.

ScOrPiO2983 said:
Hey I wasn't interested in a studio so I wasn't really paying attention to them, but from what I remember there weren't many complexes with studios. The 1 bedrooms that I say were usually almost $1000.

thanks

So, I was reading the newest copy of US News & World reports grad. school ranking and was sort of surprised about something. The average indebtedness at graduation was 182000, which was MUCH higher (at least 10-20000 more) than hardly any of the other schools. Does anyone know why? I was just curious, as I am definitely looking for ways to cut costs. I know that it could be due to the cost of living in California, but the tuition isn't even as high as some of the other private universities? Any insight?
:eek:

Hi,

I'm definitely flying out this summer before I move to find housing, but if anyone could offer insight into finding a apartment in Benicia that allows dogs...I would appreciate it.

I'm thinking Sterling Heights is my best option and I could always move after my first year.

But, I might prefer a small yard for my dog over a community with fitness and a pool.

Also, how long of a drive is it to get from benicia to school?

thanks,

-sarah

Anyone know exactly to what address the $1000 tuition deposit is to be sent to?

You should send the deposit to the same address you sent your 1st deposit to, the address on all of the letters we have received so far. Hope this helps! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Question time!

1.) Anyone still looking for a roommate? PM me. I'm trying to get as many options for housing as I can.

2.) Has anyone gotten the financial aid package yet? If so, what's in it?

3.) Has anyone else started to look into any other loans besides the stafford and Perkins to pay for rent and living expenses? (priavte or bank?) I've been looking at some Bank of America loans, and its mostly based on your credit rating.

4.) What banks are in the area? (which bank has the highest number of atms in the areas?... Bank of America? Citizens?)

5.) For all those non-Cali. students... has anyone actually started to sell/move/pack/store their stuff yet? It seems a bit too early to start doing that now. Just curious if my procrastinating tendinces are getting the better of me again.

Aisujin said:
Question time!

1.) Anyone still looking for a roommate? PM me. I'm trying to get as many options for housing as I can.

2.) Has anyone gotten the financial aid package yet? If so, what's in it?

3.) Has anyone else started to look into any other loans besides the stafford and Perkins to pay for rent and living expenses? (priavte or bank?) I've been looking at some Bank of America loans, and its mostly based on your credit rating.

4.) What banks are in the area? (which bank has the highest number of atms in the areas?... Bank of America? Citizens?)

5.) For all those non-Cali. students... has anyone actually started to sell/move/pack/store their stuff yet? It seems a bit too early to start doing that now. Just curious if my procrastinating tendinces are getting the better of me again.

Hey,

I'm anxious and excited about moving too. I emailed the guy that gave the tour when I interviewed and someone who was on this site or the MIS site. I was told that benicia is a very popular place to live and although it could take 15min to drive in good traffic...(my mapquest and not what the apts say) I think its also close enough to San F that its worth it.

It is suppose to have a quaint small town with shops and restaurants. I have to be able to find a place that will allow my dog. Sterling Heights is my top choice until I go out there to apt hunt. So SH is my backup but I'm going to risk a round trip ticket and a rental car to make sure I find the best place I can before I move out there. In my experience, this is the only way to do it. It's near impossible to line up an apt more than 2-4wks in advance. I'm thinking I'll fly down there at the end of June.

As for roommates, I think I'm going to live by myself for now. But there are others looking on the Mare Isle Life page.

No info on financial aide either...and I was in early so I'm sure they aren't out yet.

See you in August!

sarah;-)

Does anyone live or know someone who lives in Sterling Heights?

This is the only apt complex in the area I like that allows large dogs.

Any info would be helpful.

thanks

sarah;-)

PhDtoMD said:
Does anyone live or know someone who lives in Sterling Heights?

This is the only apt complex in the area I like that allows large dogs.

Any info would be helpful.

thanks

sarah;-)

hey sarah - I visited Waterview apartments when i was on my interview and liked them. They allow pets (I have a beagle), butI am not sure what the size limit is. The partments, however, are nice and comparable to club pacifica (which does not allow pets :-( ) don't much about sterling heights, sorry

chiddy said:
For those of you that wanted to run Windows on Apple hardware it seems that Apple might support this in their next version of Mac OSX (Leopard 10.5) with a program called Boot Camp. Here are some links to read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/t...93fc52072&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss
http://digg.com/apple/Apple_Boot_Camp_Public_Beta_Announced,_Part_of_10.5_Leopard

:D

very cool chiddy, thanks! I am holding out for a 12/13" widerscreen macbook (or macbook mini, whatever they are going to call it) - but it is exciting that they have a beta to dualboot. Hopefully all bugs are worked out come fall. Thanks for the update man!

Bumping my post from before:

Looking for 2 male roomates to share townhouse with me, already bought it, it is a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath, 2 story place 4.17 miles from Campus in a safe area. One room will be $600 the other $500. Will have internet and cable, and I have pictures etc. If you have questions email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Matt

Hey,

I submitted my FAFSA a while ago so I emailed the FA at Touro to find out when I should be filling out stuff or receiving stuff in the mail. She checked my record and said that I hadn't submitted it to Touro NY.

Apparently, FAFSA has a Touro Osteopathic CA option when I looked up the number to the school (or I just got totally confused?). But the FA lady says you need to select Touro NY.

She also said the packets will be mailed in April....

"We are not able to access your FAFSA information, make sure you used the school
code 010142-New York.

We will be sending out the Financial Aid Packet around April. The packet will
have the Cost of Attendance and the Loan Request Statement. Once you receive
this information you will need to complete the Loan Request Statement indicating
how much you would like in Stafford Loans and send it to the Financial Aid
Office.

We will be posting the financial aid packet on line at www.tu.edu in about a
week. We have already posted the Cost of Attendance and any other information
you may need."

Hope this helps someone!

sarah'-)

PhDtoMD said:
Hey,

I submitted my FAFSA a while ago so I emailed the FA at Touro to find out when I should be filling out stuff or receiving stuff in the mail. She checked my record and said that I hadn't submitted it to Touro NY.

Apparently, FAFSA has a Touro Osteopathic CA option when I looked up the number to the school (or I just got totally confused?). But the FA lady says you need to select Touro NY.

"We are not able to access your FAFSA information, make sure you used the school
code 010142-New York.

this information you will need to complete the Loan Request Statement indicating
Office.

you may need."

Hope this helps someone!

sarah'-)

Thanks for the info...The school code thing for FAFSA is a bit confusing but when you do put in the code that you have posted here you will see that the Touro NY option shows up (a bit counterintuitive, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a school when it comes to financial aid).

PhDtoMD said:
Hey,

code 010142-New York.

Office.

you may need."

Hope this helps someone!

sarah'-)

Thanks for the info, Sarah. This is something I have been wondering about but too lazy to get proactive about it! :oops:

Hey you guys!! I'm currently a 1st year and having gone thru the trials of living in vallejo, I wanted to pass on a few things to you regarding living here.

I don't have any information on the apartment complexes, so i can't help you with that one... but i can steer you in certain directions in the city itself.

Dr. Irene Favreau is a WONDERFUL resource to help you find housing in Vallejo!! Call her if you're craigslist'ing and trying to figure out some sort of non-apartment complex dwelling situation.

Location is a HUGE issue in Va-jay-jay (yes, that term was used prior to Greys Anatomy... but the term was used to essentially mean the same thing!). You're running a risk considering anything in the "historical district" or basically anything south of Tennesee St. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY CUTE RESTORED VICTORIAN HOUSES!!

Granted (this is where I made my huge mistake last June) there are nice "pockets" where, for a block, there will be nice houses. BUT THE GHETTO IS TOO CLOSE. My next door neighbors have been burgled twice since I've lived here, and I can't tell you how many times I heard gun shots fired down the street.

For the most part, "The Heights" (the neighborhood north of Tennesee, and just east of the blue bridge) is niiiiiiiiiiiiice. Actually, it's kind of the reverse of what's going on south of Tennessee... nice nice houses and people and neighborhoods, with a few crappy people every once in a while.

Benicia is a safe bet, and I don't know anything about living further out, because I hate commuting.

Best of luck, PM me if you have a specific address.

Incidentally, the place i'm moving OUT of right now... with MUY MUY Psycho Landlord is 920 Florida St. Do NOT respond to her craigslist or other ads... she called the SCHOOL to complain that i didn't send her a thank you note for her Christmas card... seriously. this place has been a nightmare. (i'm literally moving to the heights this w/e!).

Much love to you all... i'm excited for you. We had our talent show last night and the talent was OFF THE CHAIN!! Totally awesome. Looking forward to y'all BRINGIN' IT next year!!!!!!!!

:luck: Best of luck! :luck:

geez i didn't know there was a official TOURO-MI thread list...first of all congrats to all you guys. we all look forward to seeing all of you! i posted this on the main forum, but someone said i should try posting this on the touro one so hopfully i'll have better luck...

I'm currently a 1st year at Touro-MI. For those that are attending Touro and want to move to SF early like either June or July then I was hoping someone could take over my apt. I live in the "nicer" part of vallejo and am about a 10-15min drive to campus. I live by all the restaurants and markets which makes it nice. I am right by the freeway also (80). My place is a 1br/1ba and is decently priced ($885). You probably saw that vallejo isn't exactly a nice area and i decided to pay a littel bit more in exchange for safety. There are cheaper places, but it is on the other side of the freeway in the more dangerous area. There is a security car that drives around and a police officer that lives in the apartment complex. I'll be gone for the summer and I'm moving to a place a little bit farther from campus when i get back, because 8am classes aren't mandatory anymore. They will be for you guys (OMM lab and Histology lab probably) and those are classes you do not want to be late to. I would love for someone to take it over in June, but if not then July would be fine too. I think school starts in August (not totally sure). If this interests you and you want more info or pictures, you can message me. I currently have some interest for moving in july, but i would love it for someone to take it for june too if possible. If not, then i will just go by the order that i got messaged.

If someone could help me out that would be awesome! Look forward to seeing you guys in the fall.

1 more thing...i know a lot of people are probably starting to get a little worried about housing, but what happened for us was that as soon as they get the admission finalized, the COM president sent us a list of all the places they lived at with prices and such. I'm sure our new COM president will do the same so don't worry too much about it guys. As far as safety, i remember i was told to "stay on the east side of the 80 freeway." I think this is a fair statement. The apts on the west side of the freeway are more in the dangerous areas, but are cheaper generally.

Hey guys,

I'm a first year as well. I just wanted to let people know that Spyglass is actually a nice community. The houses around here are nice, and the neighborhood is quiet. The views are amazing, and there are quite a few students living here. Maintenance is very prompt. They respond to requests really quickly. The "gym" is laughable, but the pools are nice and both heated.
The drive is about 15 minutes, give or take 5 minutes. There's an elementary school across the street, so sometimes there's traffic at 830am or so...but you'll be in class already ;)
There's a Safeway with a Wells Fargo (I think) and some other shops, a small video store, stuff like that just up Glen Cove Rd. Unfortunately, I think they're raising the rents a bit to around $1350-1400 for a 2bd/2ba. Captain's Cabin layout is nice, b/c you have two rooms the same size with full baths each...

Haha yeah..so that's Spyglass. PM me if you have more questions.
Congrats everyone!!

Hey everyone!
Has anyone talked to Touro about health insurance? I am pretty sure that we have to buy it on our own. But, what plan is the best option for that area? Or which plans do most doctors in that area accept? Thanks!

I am glad to have found you all...I made my decision to attend TUCOM last November and I am meeting with a real estate agent (she's my sister in law) tomorrow to find a place to live. I am hoping to find a place big enough to rent out a room or two...we shall see what I can afford.
Glad to join the discussion. I can't wait until classes start!!! (I say that now!) :)

Nice to meet you and Congrats on your decision to attend Touro!

:)

DRofO said:
I am glad to have found you all...I made my decision to attend TUCOM last November and I am meeting with a real estate agent (she's my sister in law) tomorrow to find a place to live. I am hoping to find a place big enough to rent out a room or two...we shall see what I can afford.
Glad to join the discussion. I can't wait until classes start!!! (I say that now!) :)

BluesClues32 said:
Hey everyone!
Has anyone talked to Touro about health insurance? I am pretty sure that we have to buy it on our own. But, what plan is the best option for that area? Or which plans do most doctors in that area accept? Thanks!

Hi guys,
My friend who goes to TUCOM gets her insurrance from SOMA. She saids it's like around $100/month.
http://www.somainsurance.com/
Anyone know a better deal?

-Billy

I PMed one of the 1st years and this was the response

hi...funny thing is that i still know some people without it since touro isn't really strict on checking..but everyone has their own...some chose to go with the tonik plan from blue cross, i went with the ppo45 with generic meds from blue cross. I don't know too much about it. I just looked for something cheap and that seemed decent. I would call an agent or post something in the forum and see what other students got. good luck.

I have been noticing the posts keep talking about Benicia, etc...I thought American Canyon was a nice place...and not so far away, am I correct on that one? (since I am looking at houses there tomorrow!)
Thanks for the input.

MasterShakeDO said:
Yeah, done with hell week!
Now I have time to waste time on internet message boards.
1. We have, like, 4 outlets in the entire lecture hall. how they can dictate everyone to have a laptop when the infrastructure clearly doesn't support it (including no wireless!) is ridiculous. that's why your battery life has to be good or else 135 people will be fighting to get the seats that actually reach the outlets. I had my laptop plugged in and someone tripped on it, sending my laptop flying. Luckily it still works fine, but slightly dented. 1 gig of RAM to run powerpoint seems a bit overboard IMHO. I'd go with the older model (1.3-1.6 mHz) centrinos you can get for under 1000. The new thing in our class are those PC tablets that you can write notes directly on your powerpoint. I'm so jealous that I don't have one.
2. The apartments in benicia are very nice, and I wouldn't worry about the drive. It's really not as far as it sounds. I don't think anybody complains that benicia is too far away, especially considering how much nicer it is than vallejo. Has Spyglass in Glen Cove has been mentioned? a lot of students live there and it's in a really nice part of vallejo.
3. You will likely have to take out private loans for living expenses as most of your federal aid goes straight to tuition. Go to salliemae.com to get you started.
4. Enjoy your time before school!

Here is another response:

give me a day or two... and let me get in touch w/ one of the other first years... his aunt puts together policies, and put together the cheapest plans for several of us. When i get all of her dirt, i'll post it to your guys' class thread. kay?

to answer your question... since most of us are healthy and not planning on catching a disease or get pregnant, we got the cheapest thing we could find!!

christine

Hello everyone.... just wanted to stop in and say howdie and that im looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall....

Sorry for the delay getting back to you guys...

The mom of one of our first years has set several of us up with health insurance. She's got the best deals around, and she's super nice to deal with. She's actually set up a special link for health insurance JUST for Touro students to price out the insurance and get tailored info just for touro students. She's great at returning calls, and about 75% of the time when you call her office, she answers the phone herself.

Congrats again on Touro you guys!! Woot woot!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Susan Polk Insurance
1-800-242-6454

www.susanpolk.com/touro_students.html

Thanks so much, I will definetly be giving her a call!

CoverMe said:
Sorry for the delay getting back to you guys...

The mom of one of our first years has set several of us up with health insurance. She's got the best deals around, and she's super nice to deal with. She's actually set up a special link for health insurance JUST for Touro students to price out the insurance and get tailored info just for touro students. She's great at returning calls, and about 75% of the time when you call her office, she answers the phone herself.

Congrats again on Touro you guys!! Woot woot!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Susan Polk Insurance
1-800-242-6454

www.susanpolk.com/touro_students.html

Does anyone know what orientation involves? Are we just doing ice breaker type activities and learning about Touro, or do we actually have class-like material...meaning are we learning CPR, etc? My brother wants to visit me the first week of August, but I dont want him to visit if I actually have a lot of work and studying during orientation.

BluesClues32 said:
Does anyone know what orientation involves? Are we just doing ice breaker type activities and learning about Touro, or do we actually have class-like material...meaning are we learning CPR, etc? My brother wants to visit me the first week of August, but I dont want him to visit if I actually have a lot of work and studying during orientation.

Someone else on the forum posted that orientation doesn't involve much and will only take up a few hours each day.

I called Tucom today, they mailed out information on our next payment ($1000) and the immunization information. I think they sent out more info in the packet too. I am not sure what TUCOM's orientation is, but my twin at UCSD med learned how to draw blood, did the oath, and at the end of his week got his white coat.......I remember he came home telling me his classmates were not so good at drawing blood :laugh:

Hello :p

I had forgotten all about Student Doctor -- I'll be starting at TUCOM this August as well so I just wanted to say hi :p I just read through this entire thread - so since I know some stuff about y'all, a little about me.

I'm 23...grew up and currently reside in Lancaster, PA (yes, Amish-ville)...I was a Fightin' Quaker...and um, I'll spare you the other details of my life until orientation. As long as I'm in close proximity to slurpees and far from pigeons, I'm a happy camper. :D

Anywho, thanks for all the info! I'll be undergoing the coastal move as well so all the apartment scouting is super helpful.

See y'all in a few months!

Ellen :)

DRofO said:
I have been noticing the posts keep talking about Benicia, etc...I thought American Canyon was a nice place...and not so far away, am I correct on that one? (since I am looking at houses there tomorrow!)
Thanks for the input.

Hi Drofo,
How did house hunting in American Canyon go? I am curious about that area too. :)

Hey,

I just need to vent. I'm still doing experiments on my Ph.D. and am about 20 pages into writing my dissertation. I would be done by now and just bartending at the Ritz...saving to travel...if not for Katrina. I was going to go to Southern Spain for a month and study flamenco, or go to Haiti maybe with my NP friend that does HIV program planning in the campo. But no, I'm stuck in the lab today and spent 2 hours at my house earlier trying not to be irritated at my contractor and his crew. I'm lucky to have them, they do great work, but my tenant has been living with her boyfriend for a month with her dog so they could rip out and replace all her ceilings, fix her doors and a couple of broken windows. And the insurance company (that ran out of money in early March, petitioned congress but they refused to let them file chapter 11..etc etc) still owes me well over 50,000 dollars. I'm borrowing 50,000 from SBA and took at 20,000 dollar advance on my citibank card (at 3.9%) until they pay up or until I sue. I myself am living in a tiny dorm room...which in New Orleans, is a luxury. We haven't even started on my side of my double shotgun (duplex in Yankee-lingo) and it all needs to be done and rented before I move to California. I bought the house with the plan of staying in NOLA for med school. But, I decided its best for me and my sanity to move on at least for med school. I feel bad for my friends that are staying because most have already gone. My 3 friends that came over to help me load the moving truck to put my stuff in storage all joked that helping everyone else move was getting old and a bit depressing. I know I'll be back and totally miss the Big Easy, but all I want to do is finish this chapter of my life and start on my tan (real or faux I'll never tell) in California. I think most of all I want my pets back. They are with family and friends in St.louis because I can't have them in the dorm. My cats are more than sick of living in my mom's basement and I almost cried when I saw my dog Annie while visiting for a babyshower last month. They told me she cried and cried after I left...literally. I got her from the pound in the 9th ward years ago, badly abused and not house broken (that was fun). She's a totally funny dog but I know she thinks I left her for good this time (at my best friends' house...totally dog-people who sat on the floor talking to their dog buck telling him how his cousin annie was coming to stay for a while and we need to be nice to her). I just gave all of the dogs huge juicy bones;-)

So enough for today. I'm calling my friend Jessica who's PhD was also royally f-ed to see if she can spare the time for a few drinks.

Window into my life,

sarah
TUCOM-2010

PhDtoMD said:
Hey,

I just need to vent. I'm still doing experiments on my Ph.D. and am about 20 pages into writing my dissertation. I would be done by now and just bartending at the Ritz...saving to travel...if not for Katrina. I was going to go to Southern Spain for a month and study flamenco, or go to Haiti maybe with my NP friend that does HIV program planning in the campo. But no, I'm stuck in the lab today and spent 2 hours at my house earlier trying not to be irritated at my contractor and his crew. I'm lucky to have them, they do great work, but my tenant has been living with her boyfriend for a month with her dog so they could rip out and replace all her ceilings, fix her doors and a couple of broken windows. And the insurance company (that ran out of money in early March, petitioned congress but they refused to let them file chapter 11..etc etc) still owes me well over 50,000 dollars. I'm borrowing 50,000 from SBA and took at 20,000 dollar advance on my citibank card (at 3.9%) until they pay up or until I sue. I myself am living in a tiny dorm room...which in New Orleans, is a luxury. We haven't even started on my side of my double shotgun (duplex in Yankee-lingo) and it all needs to be done and rented before I move to California. I bought the house with the plan of staying in NOLA for med school. But, I decided its best for me and my sanity to move on at least for med school. I feel bad for my friends that are staying because most have already gone. My 3 friends that came over to help me load the moving truck to put my stuff in storage all joked that helping everyone else move was getting old and a bit depressing. I know I'll be back and totally miss the Big Easy, but all I want to do is finish this chapter of my life and start on my tan (real or faux I'll never tell) in California. I think most of all I want my pets back. They are with family and friends in St.louis because I can't have them in the dorm. My cats are more than sick of living in my mom's basement and I almost cried when I saw my dog Annie while visiting for a babyshower last month. They told me she cried and cried after I left...literally. I got her from the pound in the 9th ward years ago, badly abused and not house broken (that was fun). She's a totally funny dog but I know she thinks I left her for good this time (at my best friends' house...totally dog-people who sat on the floor talking to their dog buck telling him how his cousin annie was coming to stay for a while and we need to be nice to her). I just gave all of the dogs huge juicy bones;-)

So enough for today. I'm calling my friend Jessica who's PhD was also royally f-ed to see if she can spare the time for a few drinks.

Window into my life,

sarah
TUCOM-2010

It's the ebb and flow of life that keeps us on the path of progress. I'm sure you are firmly on that path.

SheLioness said:
Hi Drofo,
How did house hunting in American Canyon go? I am curious about that area too. :)

Well...I am hoping for more luck...the housing market in AC is brutal! I made three offers last week on homes and was shot down. (nobody wanted to budge from list price...and I have a hard time paying full price for anything!) I am looking at two more homes next week and I am still hoping for some good news. I guess I still have some time but I am the type to have everything "buttoned up" before I need to! I will definitely post more info as I know more.
So I couldn't help but look into your other posts... :) (call me curious) I am not a traditional student either...hum...how do I say this...I didn't start my college career until I turned 34! EEEEK! If you plan on looking for a place out here soon I have gotten to know the Vallejo area very well let me know and I'd be glad to meet you in the area when you visit.
I live in the Sacramento area now and I have been making a trip down there almost every week for the past few months.
Tamara
TUCOM-2010

DRofO said:
Well...I am hoping for more luck...the housing market in AC is brutal! I made three offers last week on homes and was shot down. (nobody wanted to budge from list price...and I have a hard time paying full price for anything!) I am looking at two more homes next week and I am still hoping for some good news. I guess I still have some time but I am the type to have everything "buttoned up" before I need to! I will definitely post more info as I know more.
So I couldn't help but look into your other posts... :) (call me curious) I am not a traditional student either...hum...how do I say this...I didn't start my college career until I turned 34! EEEEK! If you plan on looking for a place out here soon I have gotten to know the Vallejo area very well let me know and I'd be glad to meet you in the area when you visit.
I live in the Sacramento area now and I have been making a trip down there almost every week for the past few months.
Tamara
TUCOM-2010

Well, good luck with future house hunting. I am sure you will get something amazing soon. :) I would be looking for an apartment so I was mostly curious about the safety/ammenities/distance to school aspects. Thanks for your offer for feedback on housing in Vallejo and the like. I will certainly take you up on it (and anyone else who offers)! I will be out at the end of May to look.

I am excited to hear there is another 'real' nontrad in our class. You mean I might not be the 'grand old lady' of the class at age 37? Awesome! :laugh:

Nora

Hey everyone!
Sorry, I have so many questions. BUT...after you fill out the FAFSA and it is sent to the correct Touro campus, do we have to send anything else to Touro? For example, when do we send our finanicial aid packets? Also, do we need to send a signed copy of our taxes? Thanks! :)

BluesClues32 said:
Hey everyone!
Sorry, I have so many questions. BUT...after you fill out the FAFSA and it is sent to the correct Touro campus, do we have to send anything else to Touro? For example, when do we send our finanicial aid packets? Also, do we need to send a signed copy of our taxes? Thanks! :)

Are you just wondering about FAFSA stuff? Because we do have to send official transcripts directly to Touro, we also have to send proff of our immunizations (for some of us that is a challenge!) plus a physicians physical, the forms are on the web site, I booked my doctors appointment today! Oh boy.

SheLioness said:
Well, good luck with future house hunting. I am sure you will get something amazing soon. :) I would be looking for an apartment so I was mostly curious about the safety/ammenities/distance to school aspects. Thanks for your offer for feedback on housing in Vallejo and the like. I will certainly take you up on it (and anyone else who offers)! I will be out at the end of May to look.

I am excited to hear there is another 'real' nontrad in our class. You mean I might not be the 'grand old lady' of the class at age 37? Awesome! :laugh:

Nora

Nope, it doesn't look like you are the "grand old lady' because I am 39. :p I actually have a step-daughter who is older than many of my friends from college! My philosophy is to keep moving so old age can't catch up! Oh, yea...have you guys heard about the 5 mile run during orientation week? I would start training if you don't want to be struggling at the back of the pack.
Tamara

DRofO said:
Nope, it doesn't look like you are the "grand old lady' because I am 39. :p I actually have a step-daughter who is older than many of my friends from college! My philosophy is to keep moving so old age can't catch up! Oh, yea...have you guys heard about the 5 mile run during orientation week? I would start training if you don't want to be struggling at the back of the pack.
Tamara

5 MILE RUN! Haha you have to be joking!?!?!