***tucom-mi Class Of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hmack said:
5 MILE RUN! Haha you have to be joking!?!?!

ROFLMAO.....no I am not joking. I saw Dr. Haight last week when he spoke at UCDavis and he was proud of all the athletic activities that he plans on campus...including the first year orientation 5 mile run. That is what he said!
So I would suggest walking this week...and adding a jog next week...LOL ;)
Tamara

Members don't see this ad.

DRofO said:
ROFLMAO.....no I am not joking. I saw Dr. Haight last week when he spoke at UCDavis and he was proud of all the athletic activities that he plans on campus...including the first year orientation 5 mile run. That is what he said!
So I would suggest walking this week...and adding a jog next week...LOL ;)
Tamara

So do you guys think it's too late to apply to Touro-NV? I think their orientation entails free poker chips and a show... :D

DRofO said:
Nope, it doesn't look like you are the "grand old lady' because I am 39. :p I actually have a step-daughter who is older than many of my friends from college! My philosophy is to keep moving so old age can't catch up! Oh, yea...have you guys heard about the 5 mile run during orientation week? I would start training if you don't want to be struggling at the back of the pack.
Tamara

You have made my day. I am so pleased that I will have someone in the class who as born in the same decade as me! Outstanding! :D

Hope that 5 mile run ain't a mandatory part of orientation! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
SheLioness said:
You have made my day. I am so pleased that I will have someone in the class who as born in the same decade as me! Outstanding! :D

Hope that 5 mile run ain't a mandatory part of orientation! :laugh:

Even if it wasn't mandatory...would you really decline? (not that I am a suck up or anything!) :D

DRofO said:
Even if it wasn't mandatory...would you really decline? (not that I am a suck up or anything!) :D

haha maybe! :) Just kidding! Not a huge fan of running, but I would ride a bike for it ... haha

Does anyone know if there is truth to this rumor? I would love to run 5 miles for orientation (I'm a huge fan of exercise), especially since we will be wearing next to nothing in OMM. But where would we run? I recommend the Vineyards in Sonoma or Napa (I also love wine). :)

Looking forward to orientation!

BluesClues32 said:
Does anyone know if there is truth to this rumor? I would love to run 5 miles for orientation (I'm a huge fan of exercise), especially since we will be wearing next to nothing in OMM. But where would we run? I recommend the Vineyards in Sonoma or Napa (I also love wine). :)

Hm...What do you mean wearning next to nothing? :eek:

I am pretty sure that the girls in the class have to wear sports bras and shorts. I don't recall the dress code for the boys, but I'm sure it is similar.

BluesClues32 said:

Well...I guess the best way to find out if it is true is to ask a current first year or ask Dr. Haight himself.
Maybe he was kidding during the talk he gave, but I didn't think so. He is part of the running club on campus and runs 35 miles a week...his words were (something like this..I am paraphrasing) "We like to instill health into our curriculum and we have many programs to promote fitness...(he talked about a couple other fitness programs then continued with)... like the mandatory 5 mile run we have for the first year students during orientation, in the welcome packet they receive a letter outlining the agenda so they can prepare..."
The girl I was sitting next to was a marathon runner and her comment was "right on!" We both laughed about it, but we definitely didn't think he was joking.
We will probably run on the island...
Remember...baby steps first...then pick up the pace...we have 3 months to prepare... (that's enough time to train for a half marathon!)
Isn't med school like a marathon? Long, strenuous but incredibly rewarding if you pace yourself! :)
If anyone wants a training schedule...let me know...I have been a personal trainer for 9 years!
Tamara

DRofO said:
"We like to instill health into our curriculum and we have many programs to promote fitness..."

That's wonderful! I am a firm believer that we need to be examples for our patients. Dr. H never really mentioned that during my interview, it was more focused on how to interview at Touro. Did he say anything else of interest at his talk? :)

Hi TUCOM 2010ers! I'm a current 1st year at Touro.

About the 5K run, it's a DO Wellness Run that was an optional activity for us during our orientation week. I don't remember how many people actually participated since I wasn't one of the runners. But I do know that the whole course is on the island itself. We were given a map of the route with our orientation packets. Don't know how it's going to be done for your orientation in August.

Also about OMM clothes:
girls - sports bra or camousel shirt and shorts
boys - shirt and shorts

I knew a first year would step up and clarify things! But if it is a 5k that is only 3.1 miles and it can be walked in about 45 minutes. So I guess it is optional...but I could have sworn that Dr. Haight said mandatory...hum...I have been known to be wrong...either way I will give it a try.
As for Dr. Haight's talk, there were two other Osteopathic colleges present and it was more like a "what makes us unique" type talk.
I have a friend applying this year to TUCOM and she wanted to go, so I tagged along. I have sat through no less than 20 of those talks and it was totally different sitting there after being accepted! :D
Keep running....
Tamara

Hey you guys... I wanted to give y'all a little food for thought if you're thinking about buying a new laptop for next year. A few of my classmates have gone w/ tablet PC's (several Gateways... that seems one of the nicer ones at a better price) and they've REALLY been pleased with them.

I'm not doing any advertising... obviously you can buy whatever you want... but with the ability to d/l the ppt files, then have them on your desktop then DRAW and WRITE on them... well, it's pretty hot!! I'm planning on buying one this summer.

This note is for all you people who might not have considered just how lovely a tablet PC can be in this situation!!!

Best of luck, we'll be seeing you soon!! woo hoo!
christine

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that haven't yet, be sure to put yourself on the frappr site!

Here's the address!

The months leading up to orientation are just melting away, aren't they?

Does anyone know the dress code for anatomy lab? We have a discounted scrubs store in the area, and if most people wear scrubs, I want buy a few sets before I move out to Cali. Also, do we have to wear a certain color scrubs?

Finally, what are the school's colors and mascot? :)

Don't forget to send out those transcripts people! (I know I haven't yet) TUCOM need another set, separate from the AACOMS applicaion.

Hello everyone! I just received an email from The Financial Aid Office about accessing the aid packet online. It went straight to my Junk Mail, so be sure to check for it=)

Let the countdown begin (not that it already hasn't ;) !!!!!!!

That Frappr site is really cool!

I got the FA email and the letter with the housing stuff. But, honestly, there is just as much if not more info about housing options on the MISL website.

I think I'm down to a one bedroom at Sterling Heights in Benicia or a two bedroom at Sundance in Vallejo (they're the same size). I have a friend in Pacifica who's going to go check them out for me before I put in an application.

I feel like Benicia is 20 minutes from school vs 5-10 for Sundance on the east side of 80. Why do I think this is so far? I'm told that school is 5 minutes from the bridge so benicia really isn't that far because unless you live on the island, you're commuting. None of my friends in the Bay Area know benicia or vallejo very well if at all.

Both places as pricey for me, but seem normal for the Bay. I'm sure I'll be happy at either but any suggestions might be helpful. I need to put in an application soon as August 1st (or anytime around that) is the biggest move day of the year.

Thanks,

sarah

SotaBGirl said:
Hello everyone! I just received an email from The Financial Aid Office about accessing the aid packet online. It went straight to my Junk Mail, so be sure to check for it=)

Does anyone know how to get to the borrowers Entrance Exam from the edfund website? I can't find a link or anything about it. :rolleyes:

SheLioness said:
Does anyone know how to get to the borrowers Entrance Exam from the edfund website? I can't find a link or anything about it. :rolleyes:

Here's the link. Select your state and have a blast!

ooohhh

Im excited for this run...i will definetly start training for it!

thanks for teh info!

DRofO said:
I knew a first year would step up and clarify things! But if it is a 5k that is only 3.1 miles and it can be walked in about 45 minutes. So I guess it is optional...but I could have sworn that Dr. Haight said mandatory...hum...I have been known to be wrong...either way I will give it a try.
As for Dr. Haight's talk, there were two other Osteopathic colleges present and it was more like a "what makes us unique" type talk.
I have a friend applying this year to TUCOM and she wanted to go, so I tagged along. I have sat through no less than 20 of those talks and it was totally different sitting there after being accepted! :D
Keep running....
Tamara

Has everyone received this email????

I haven't gotten it yet...and i checked my spam....hmmmm????? :confused:

SotaBGirl said:

bnoosha said:
Has everyone received this email????

I haven't gotten it yet...and i checked my spam....hmmmm????? :confused:

Well here is the email if you haven't gotten it....

Dear Incoming Students,

Congratulations on your admittance into Touro University! Financial Aid
Packets will be mailed out shortly. The packets contain a hard copy
06-07 Application, Student Loan Request Statement, Cost of Attendance
for your program, and other relevant information. If you would like to
download and print the application(s). simply click on
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/16/TOURO_Financial_Aid_Packet_06-07.pdf. To
download and print the Cost of Attendance, click on
http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=73&page=256.

All incoming students that plan to borrow a federal Stafford loan must
complete an Entrance Exam. If you have not already completed your
Entrance Exam, please do so online at www.edfund.org. The Office will
receive an electronic confirmation that this has been completed.

You can fax in the completed paperwork to (707) 638-5262 to help
expedite this process. Please call us at (707) 638-5280 or e-mail us at
[email protected] if you have any questions. We look forward to
working with you.

Sincerely,

The Financial Aid Office

Hey guys,

A couple of us have gotten the FA letter and tried to take the Entrance Exam at edfund.org. The page has been telling me for days that the entrance exam is 'under maintenance.' I called FA and was told that she'd heard this from other students. She said you could also try nelnet.org to do the entrance exam but I couldn't find it.

If you're having trouble at edfund.org do a search for entrance exam and don't capitalize anything...or just go to....

http://www.edfund.org/edtest/choose.cfm

I still can't get it to work. If anyone has any suggestions, let us know.

If you can't do it either, perhaps call FA too so she knows its not just a couple of people.

Thanks,

sarah

Hey all,

Congratulations to you all!!! I'm going to be a second year next fall and two of my roommates are moving out into the city. I'm sure you guys are totally excited about starting school and are beginning to stress out about where to live. So I'm posting this to let you guys know there are two rooms available in our house that we are renting in Glen Cove.

Glen Cove is considered Vallejo, but it is a really nice and safe area to live. There is a supermarket, video rental, tacobell, etc just down the street from our house. 15-20 min (driveway to parking space) from Touro. 4 bedroom 2.5 bath 3 car garage. We currently have 2 (including me) living there and are looking for two more roommates. Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested in more information or have any questions pertaining to school or our house.

Thanks a bunch and I'm really looking forward to meeting you all in August.

Ok, since we are on a housing discussion...
I am currently negotiating on two homes...one is a 3 bedroom (looking for one roomate at $650 w/own bath), the other is a 5 bedroom (looking for two roomates at $600 per room and share a bathroom with the other roomate). Both homes are in excelent areas of American Canyon (about 15 minutes from campus) near a new Safeway and a Starbucks. I will only rent to Touro students (so you don't have to worry about just anyone! :) )
In an ideal world I would find 1 or 2 other female first year TUCOM students to stay up all hours of the night studying...I have a wicked sweet expresso machine!
Ok, here is scoop...I am not the typical student...I am 39 years old...and my 4 year old daughter will be joining me along with our two small dogs. (a Pomeranian and Miniature Pincher) the house will be completely set up with furniture in all the rooms except the room being rented (unless needed).
My daughter, dogs and I will be gone some weekends (I guess I should visit my husband back in Sacramento every once and a while!) And if the dogs are too much to handle they will return to Sacramento to live with my husband. I am flexible.
I will hook up satalite TV (with TIVO) in the main room and I will have wireless internet also (and hook up to the router), both homes have a room for just studying...separate from the "main area" where I plan on putting the router and some tables to study. We will split all remaining utilities (gas,electric...what else is there?) I actually am hoping to lease the 5 bedroom home because I want to turn the extra bedroom into a workout room...I was a personal trainer for 9 years and have a ton of equiptment. But I thought I would discuss that option with all roomates what should be done (maybe a second study room....maybe a guest room for when friends visit?)
Anyway...e-mail me with any questions..or e-mail me with your phone number and we can talk.
Just a little more than 3 months to go! YAHOO!!!!
Tamara

Hey all,

TUCOM's announced a new laptop policy! I'm guessing many of you have already seen the email, but just in case it slipped through... see below!

To: Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine students
Class of 2009 and Class of 2010

Subject: Laptop computer requirement

Beginning in Fall semester of 2006, Touro University College of =
Osteopathic
Medicine faculty and administration have decided, along with student =
input,
that it will require all OMS I and OMS II students to obtain a laptop
computer.=20

Our objectives for this program include:
- Promotion of student competence in the use of information technology
and development of rapid information resource access for clinical =
decision
making and learning
- Facilitation of student note taking during didactic sessions
- To improve access to basic science information for students in their
clinical rotation years and beyond
- To allow real time classroom interaction with class polling, emailed
questions and real time informatics assignments and contributions as =
part of
large group interactive learning.

We expect wireless access to the internet in the classrooms to be =
available
by the fall. This will enable in-class delivery of supplemental =
materials
through Blackboard.com. =20

The financial aid Cost of Attendance for each student now includes a =
laptop
computer costing up to $1800.00.

Minimum Laptop Specifications:
Hardware:
Configuration - Notebook or Tablet=20
Processor - Intel or AMD Processor running
at 800 MHz or greater
Hard Drive Capacity - at least 30 GB
Installed RAM - 1 Gigabyte minimum
Network Interface Card - 10/100 - 802.11b/g
wireless
Extended Life Battery
2nd Extended Life Battery

Software:
Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Microsoft Powerpoint (MS Office recommended)
Anti-virus Suite - Symantec or McAffee
Recommended: Hardware warranty and
expeditious service

You may want to consider a laptop form one of the following =
manufacturers:
Sony, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Panasonic, Lenovo, Compaq, Fujitsu, Gateway. =
TUCOM
does not vouch for, warranty, or expressly promote or support any =
specific
brand of laptop for use on campus. =20

Experienced Mac users may opt for a Mac Operating System computer; =
however,
Touro technical support will not support use of Mac computers, and not =
all
platforms may work on Mac machines. Specifically certain features of
Blackboard.com have been problematic on Macintosh platforms in the past.

Nathan Church, Ph.D.
Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students
Touro University - California

That's nice about the wireless in classrooms. Anyone know about the rest of the campus? Are there any plans?

Can someone tell me who sent out the email? I received the financial aid one, but not the computer email. Anyone else have this problem?

BluesClues32 said:
Can someone tell me who sent out the email? I received the financial aid one, but not the computer email. Anyone else have this problem?

I didn't get the e-mail either.

I was just wondering (since I didn't get either email either), if anyone knows how long we are using our laptops for. Will we need them for our 3rd and 4th year, b/c if not I am sort of thinking of shopping on Ebay seeing as how I already have another computer at home. If anybody knows and could let me know, I would really appreciate it! :)

Folks,

The laptop email was sent out to the class of 2009. I assumed it was also sent to you guys (since the introduction mentioned class of 2010), but maybe you guys haven't gotten it yet.

As far as quality of laptop... the key is really just powerpoint and office. If you can get a computer that can download/print/access powerpoint quickly, that's good enough. You won't need a laptop for 3rd/4th years. (But I have to agree with the earlier poster: tablets kick ass.)

Patience is a virtue everybody...I just got all the info that everyone is panicking over in the mail today.

ya...but somethings up b/c i havent receieved anything at all from touro since i paid my deposit several months ago...

which means i better contact the school and see if they have the right email address.

thanks for all the info guys!!!

hamandcheese said:
Patience is a virtue everybody...I just got all the info that everyone is panicking over in the mail today.

Hey everyone, out of curiosity does anyone know if it's possible to defer a year once you've been accepted?

theflyingpig said:
Hey everyone, out of curiosity does anyone know if it's possible to defer a year once you've been accepted?

I would check the touro website...I thought I saw something on there about that.
T

Hey,

So the open house flyer that we got in the mail, since that is a general one is anyone really going or is that really for people who are going to apply not actually people who are already in?

What do you guys think?

Heather

hmack said:
Hey,

So the open house flyer that we got in the mail, since that is a general one is anyone really going or is that really for people who are going to apply not actually people who are already in?

What do you guys think?

Heather

It's an open house... anyone can go! I think it is primarily for prospective students but I live only 80 miles away I am going to ask my husband if he wants to go... he didn't see UCDavis until graduation day! I think it is a great opportunity to bring the family for a tour.

I will be attending Touro as a MS1 this fall and will be living with my husband in Berkeley. Just curious if there is anyone else (MS1 or 2) that also lives there and would be interested in carpooling. If you want to pm me or just post here that would be great!
Amy :)

My wife and I might end up in Berkeley; I'll let you know as soon as we:

1)Hear back from her interview
2)Find a place to live.

See you at orientation!

Could someone that's going ask some of the burning questions that we have been talking about, such as:

1)When will the university be wireless all over?
2)Will the new curriculum be implemented for our class, and if so,
3)What will it be like?
4)What other construction/new classroom plans are in the works?

Thanks in advance! It just occurred to me today that we only have about 8 more weeks of being premeds! Heavy, no? :D

mj1878 said:
Thanks in advance! It just occurred to me today that we only have about 8 more weeks of being premeds! Heavy, no? :D

WOW!

only 8 weeks thats crazy.... :eek:
I still remember my first day as a pre-med....

It's 12 wks.

May...June...July.

Sorry.

Hehe...i was so shocked to see only 8 weeks left that i didnt even think that there is actually 3 months left...
at least that makes me feel a lot better!

I dont know about you guys but i cant wait till the list serv is set up for the class of 2010...

Are you guys gonna go to the open house???

When will most of you be moving...i was thinking of moving July 30th (the weekend right before orientation)...
Im only moving from so. cali so hopefully it wont be so bad...but im still worried this may be a little to late.

PhDtoMD said:
It's 12 wks.

May...June...July.

Sorry.

bnoosha said:
Hehe...i was so shocked to see only 8 weeks left that i didnt even think that there is actually 3 months left...
at least that makes me feel a lot better!

I dont know about you guys but i cant wait till the list serv is set up for the class of 2010...

Are you guys gonna go to the open house???

When will most of you be moving...i was thinking of moving July 30th (the weekend right before orientation)...
Im only moving from so. cali so hopefully it wont be so bad...but im still worried this may be a little to late.

I am thinking about going to the open house cuz I only live 30 miles away. But I am not sure if there will really be a point for current/accepted students to go. Not sure if there will really be information for us.

And I think I will be moving July 1st in order to get everything in order before the rush. Do you guys think there will be a class meeting or get together before orientation ... hopefully we can all meet and see if there are possible roommates in our class! Not sure what I want to do about that yet ....

I'm hoping to move either July 1st or 15th.

Honestly, I think you'll need more time to settle in if you can move a little sooner. But, I don't know when the apt I applied for will be available and how much time I need to wrap up in order to move so I might be an August 1st mover. Orientation shouldn't be too heavy for the first week of August though.

I'm moving as soon as I can though. Just remember that moving trucks can be a hot commodity on August 1st as its the biggest moving day of the year so reserve one early.

-sarah
TUCOM 2010

PhDtoMD said:
It's 12 wks.

May...June...July.

Sorry.

Sorry---I meant 8 weeks until my last day at WORK. I was AT work at 3 am when I was writing this, and was obviously not coherent. Wow. Sorry, guys!!! :rolleyes:

Whats up everyone?

I have been following your threads all year, but for some strange reason waited until now to get in on the fun.

Anymays...a little about me. My name is Mayron, I am 22, and I am finishing my first year of a public health masters at the University of Arizona...Can't wait to drop this masters. I also did my undergrad here in Physiology. This year has been too much fun working as a server to try to save up some money and not caring at all about school for once in my life. I enjoy lifting weights, I am a sucker for reality tv, love sports, movies, family time, I enjoy staying up late, sleeping in, and the sometimes more than occassional drinking. Music wise, I like it all, except country (go figure for someone from AZ).

Can't wait to meet you all in August. I'm coming out a week before orientation to start the partying, hope some of you are in before we get crazy busy with school.

Btw, one of my friends is a first year at Touro NV and the school told them that our curriculum is changing for sure, but that nothing was final and they weren't exactly sure how they were going to change it. Hope we get more info soon.

Mayron

Welcome, Mayron! Scroll up a bit and find the frappr site link. Click it and add yourself!

Also, this is post #500! Whew, that took a LONG time to do!