This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

North95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on the waitlist for NYIT-Arkansas Campus and have been accepted to Tufts MBS Program. It is a completely NEW DO school. It would be the first class ever. So there are no stats on anything. Tufts is a well known SMP program.

NYIT- Arkansas:

Pro: US DO school

Cons: In Arkansas
Very expensive
Completely new school: so no stats in terms of residency placement, COMPLEX/USMLE scores, etc. Not sure about 3rd and 4th year rotation connections
Heard bad things about NYIT main campus and may trickle down to branch one.
MIGHT end up in a crappy residency or have difficulty getting one bc of its newness

Tufts MBS:

Pro: Good program
I would get to pursue an MPH (w/ a global health concentration) in addition to MS
Would prove that I could handle graduate level medical school programs
MIGHT open up better medical schools to apply to in the future

Cons: It would take me 2 more years to get into medical school

My question is this:

If taken off the waitlist should I go to Arkansas or take my chances with the Tufts MBS and go there?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently on the waitlist for NYIT-Arkansas Campus and have been accepted to Tufts MBS Program. It is a completely NEW DO school. It would be the first class ever. So there are no stats on anything. Tufts is a well known SMP program.

NYIT- Arkansas:

Very expensive
Completely new school: so no stats in terms of residency placement, COMPLEX/USMLE scores, etc. Not sure about 3rd and 4th year rotation connections
MIGHT end up in a crappy residency or have difficulty getting one bc of its newness

Tufts MBS:

I would get to pursue an MPH (w/ a global health concentration) in addition to MS

My question is this:

If taken off the waitlist should I go to Arkansas or take my chances with the Tufts MBS and go there?
I personally believe that if your goal is to get into an osteopathic medical school, then SMP's are wastes of time (and MONEY). This is because if your GPA's are low, you can take advantage of the grade replacement policy. If your MCAT is low, then you need to retake the exam (and you don't need to score miraculously high, either, if you aren't picky as to where you'd like to go to school).

For your situation specifically, if you are taken off the waitlist at NYIT-AR, then you absolutely need to go there.

But, I'd be interested in hearing what your stats are, when you applied, and how many DO schools you applied to as well.

Reactions: 1 users
My stats are low.
MD: Science: 3.0 (with strong upward trend) Overall: 3.38
DO: Science:3.2 (with strong upward trend) Overall: 3.5
MCAT: 494

Applied to 9 school, 6 of them DO
Applied this past summer

Members don't see this ad :)
You just need to redo your MCAT to be honest. Your GPA is fine for DO, but 504+ is expected. It'd also be a hell of a lot cheaper to study and retake that than piss away years for an MPH that won't improve your GPA.

Do you know where you are on the waitlist? Take what I say with a grain of salt cause I'm going through the process soon, but if you're like really high on the waitlist I would just stay on and see how it goes. You get in, you're more than likely going to be a doctor. Tufts route means no promises for the future at all. That's what I would do if I was in your situation.

Reactions: 1 user
what are your career goals? Honestly your MCAT is super low that you'll have to retake in order to get in anywhere. For me personally, knowing I wanna do PC I would take the acceptance if you get moved off the waitlist. Yes its brand new, but I bet they will just use NYIT's curriculum.

I would take Tufts, if you don't mind retaking the MCAT to get in somewhere different. Also, in SMPs you have to kill it to show medical schools that you can handle the rigor. Going from pre-med with a 3.0 -> 3.5 in a SMP is hard unless you found out why you did poorly in undergrad. Secondly, I would go to Tufts if you want to do anything competitive that you need the MD. Retake the MCAT and kill the SMP and you still have a shot at MD, but realize that is going to be easier said than done. You will need 510+ and a 3.5+ on the SMP to have a chance at MD.

Take the DO and run if you get in

NYIT- Arkansas:

Very expensive

Tufts MBS:

My question is this:

Yep, your MCAT score is the killer. And the risks associated with SMP's have been well documented on this site. Retake the MCAT, skip the SMP, and attend NYIT-Arkansas if you get in. What do they say about a bird in the hand...

But WOW, with those stats even getting waitlisted somewhere is pretty crazy! A 494 = 22 on the old mcat scale.... ask anyone what your chances were going in, and ppl would have said 0.

Also, I'm a bit more on the paranoid side but have you considered that if you do the post-bacc and DON'T perform well, then you possibly put yourself in a much worse position? Especially for DO programs, which do allow grade replacement. You can repair bad grades, but you can't repair a bad post-bacc performance.

My stats are low.
MD: Science: 3.0 (with strong upward trend) Overall: 3.38
DO: Science:3.2 (with strong upward trend) Overall: 3.5
MCAT: 494

Applied to 9 school, 6 of them DO
Applied this past summer
Your science GPA is pretty low and your MCAT is very low. You are lucky to be on any waitlist. You also did not apply to enough DO schools, and shouldn't of bothered applying to any allopathic schools.

I'm not sure why you even applied to any masters programs. They are useless in your case. SMP's are for high MCAT, low GPA'ers that are mostly concerned with getting into MD schools primarily. I recommend forgetting about the SMP and forgetting about getting into an MD school (unless you score extraordinarily high on an MCAT retake and/or live in a lucky state).

You need to retake the MCAT (score 501+), retake some science courses, and apply in June 2017. Make sure to apply to schools such as KYCOM, WVSOM, LUCOM, WCUCOM, BCOM, UIW, AR-COM, NYIT-AR, and others (~15 schools or more).

^^ This is exactly the type of advice you'd typically receive. But look, the OP got waitlisted at NYIT-AR already with his/her current stats!! Still can't get over how much of a crapshoot the admissions process really is.

But yea OP if you don't get in, a retake is in order to help boost your competitiveness dramatically.

Wow. You're worried about how successful you'll be if you get off the wait list at a brand new school and thinking about pursuing other options if that happens? Are you kidding me?

Have you seen your application? That school should be worried about what happens if they accept you, not the other way around. If you get off the list then freaking go because it might be your only shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuition at Harvard Medical School is $57,845
Tuition at NYIT--Arkansas is $55,890

Many of these DO schools are just cash cows for the parent institution. ...And I bet NYIT--Arkansas fills every seat (easily).

I vote for going. There are concerns about new programs, but if you aggressively look into what they have cooking. You may be okay with it. The reality is, if you get moved off of the wait list, you have a guaranteed spot. You may not after the SMP. What if you're borderline in the program? That borderline may have been acceptable in medical school, but if you don't really perform, you're setting off a red flag that you aren't going to be the ideal student.

why would anyone retake the MCAT? I say if you get into NYIT ark go there! Yes it's expensive but look at long term and time- you're going to be spending time and money at tufts and thats completely new. NYIT has great match results and it's the same curriculum as their other campus so yeah.